Books

Hatari

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read all sorts of books.

Great fan of Terry Pratchett though, he's pretty much the awesomeness and everyone and their mum should read his books. Seriously, go out and buy every single Discworld novel and read them all. Then read his other books.

Other than that, I doubt I can cover all the books I like.

I read all sorts of books.

Great fan of Terry Pratchett though, he's pretty much the awesomeness and everyone and their mum should read his books. Seriously, go out and buy every single Discworld novel and read them all. Then read his other books.

Other than that, I doubt I can cover all the books I like.

Seconded. You might want to hold off a bit on some of them if you aren't familiar with what the specific book you're looking at is parodying. Terry Pratchett is much funnier when you actually understand his references. You're the best judge of whether you'll 'get' a book or not, so keep that in mind.

My personal favorites among series that aren't widely popular are George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, James Clavell's Asian Saga and Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy. The first two are a bit dense and havy on the "death and sex" themes, so I don't know if someone who likes Twilight could get into them easily, but Robin Hobb is more accessible and 'cleaner'. I prefer her Assassin trilogy and its follow-up, the Fool trilogy, because nearly everything else she's written is more oriented toward young adult readers and it shows.

But, of course, if you haven't read the really famous books like Dune or The Lord of the Rings or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy those should be your first priority.

Edited by Hero

Well I'm a happy owner of dozen of Diskworld novels as well as several other novels of him. You can't go wrong with that man. However I haven't read any of his more serious books in their original language so I can't really judge how entertaining he can write outside of the Diskworld.

Otherwise as far as entire series are concerned there would the "Hitchhiker to the Galaxy" novel adaptions.

Also I have arround a dozen volumes of One Piece, a shonen which always confuse me with it's lack of popularity in the USA. Personally I consider it the best currently running shonen series by far. However the german translation sometimes makes my facepalm (my favorite: Luffy's "Gomu Gomu no Gatling" became "Gum Gum Kalashnikov". I'm not kidding.) but it is by no means bad. I also have several Bleach volumes, though while the story tends to be so forced at times, the characters are quite likable. Still, I can't help but think that the series is generally overrated but at last the german translation is good.

These works I suspect would remain just as personally valuable to me were I to reread them as when I first had the pleasure.

Dream of the Red Chamber / Story of the Stone (I don't know if it counts as a series, but it's long enough as to need to be broken into multiple volumes.)

StoryOfTheStone.jpg

Dune (Although I would not rate anywhere nearly as highly the rest of the series.)

Dune.jpg

Mars trilogy

Red_Mars.jpg

But, of course, if you haven't read the really famous books like Dune or The Lord of the Rings or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy those should be your first priority.

Yesyesyes.

Really, even if you won't like them, you should probably read a lot of the classics. This includes stuff like Orwell, Isaac Asimov, Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, etc. It's just pretty good to get a good background knowledge down.

EDIT: Do not, and I repeat, do not read Eragon until after reading other, earlier Fantasy staples. I don't hate Eragon, but it does lift pretty directly, and I feel, poorly from earlier fantasy works, namely the Lord of the Rings.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Think I've seen a thread like this around somewhere...

Anyway, OH SO MANY BOOKS

Mainly I read sci-fi/fantasy stuff, but also some realistic stuff. I like some of the classics I've had to read. (And the ones that I didn't, but read anyway.)

Quick few I'd recommend:

--The Eyre Affair and the Thursday Next series that follows it by Jasper Fforde

--Howl's Moving Castle and sequels (yeah, it was a book first) by Diana Wynne Jones (and some of her other stuff)

--Tamora Pierce's Tortall universe series (there's four quartets, a duology, and another series in progress as well as some short stories)

--The Firebringer Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce

--Lots of Timothy Zahn's books

--Scott Westerfeld's stuff, particularly the Uglies series, the Peeps duology and So Yesterday

--Elsewhere and Nevernever by Will Shetterly

--The Chronicles of Faerie trilogy by O.R. Melling

--Some of Michael Crichton's stuff, Timeline in particular comes to mind. Some of his other stuff made me hit my head against the wall (oh good Lord State of Fear oh gosh)

--The increasingly inaccurately-classified Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" by Douglas Adams, though the original radio program was better IMO. Also, by the same author, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

--Dracula by Bram Stoker. No sparkles there. Also, unofficial sequels Bloodline and Bloodline: Reckoning by Kate Cary; they keep the original style, though don't pull it off quite perfectly.

Things I liked but would not necessarily recommend for everyone:

--James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, because the main character's definitely a Mary Sue... but still kind of a fun series.

--Dune was good. Just... a bit thick in relation to the amount of time I actually have for reading at the moment.

Er... wow. I'll shut up now; maybe I'll post more later...

Really, even if you won't like them, you should probably read a lot of the classics. This includes stuff like Orwell, Isaac Asimov, Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, etc. It's just pretty good to get a good background knowledge down.

The men hunted. The hunting was good, a manly hunting, a good thing. The men took their dogs. The dogs were brown and gold and black and green and cyan, beautiful dogs, the colors of the fall. The dogs were good. The men were going after game, game being a manly thing to hunt. One of the men was from the War. The War had not been good--there had been neither game nor fish. Nor had there been love. But it did not matter, since love was not to be. There had been loud explosions and death and despair.

The men were stoic as they had headed out. They had shown no emotion. The Veteran took liquor from his flask. He unscrewed the top with his pale hands and drank from it. The liquor was good. It had been a long, hard winter, and there was not much game in the forest. The game was scarce. Like love. The men took out there guns.

"I see no game"

"Neither do I"

"This is not good"

Things were not manly. This was bad. The men conferenced with each other. It was a conference of brotherhood. They talked of game and boxing and hunting and fishing. But although they were manly, they could not agree. This was bad as well.

THE END

Gentlemen, I give you Ernest Hemingway.

Edited by Le Communard

EDIT: Do not, and I repeat, do not read Eragon until after reading other, earlier Fantasy staples. I don't hate Eragon, but it does lift pretty directly, and I feel, poorly from earlier fantasy works, namely the Lord of the Rings.

That's pretty common.

Eragon, or at least the first book, lifts the most from Star Wars. The plot of Eragon and the 1977 movie parallel each other practically completely, there are only a few scenes and characters in Eragon that don't fit.

Edited by Hero

That's pretty common.

Eragon, or at least the first book, lifts the most from Star Wars. The plot of Eragon and the 1977 movie parallel each other practically completely, there are only a few scenes and characters in Eragon that don't fit.

I was going to reference Obi Brom Kenobi and all, but I didn't, especially considering Lucas intentionally made the original movies with The Hero With a Thousand Faces in mind, so I can't fault it too badly for that.

But the rest of it, and then the rest of the series, I can fault THOSE.

Also, Communard, ilu.

I tried to read Eragon, but totally failed at it. I just couldn't get into it.

As for the "death and sex" theme. The dark-hunter series is one of my all time favorites. It's a romance series...

Yes, I like twilight, but that doesn't mean that I'm trapped in the pre-teen/teen realm :).

The classics: I can't handle books like Shakespeare or Jane Austin, etc.

Lord of the Rings: No...I was never a fan of them or the movies. Probably because of all of the hype about them...and listening to other girls drool over the elf.

Orson Scott Card is my absolute favorite author, and the books I enjoyed most be him were Enchantment and the Ender Series (specifically, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead). But really, I rip through almost anything he writes with enthusiasm and excitement.

On a more old school level, Catch-22 is one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life at a fiction novel as I did when I read this book. A lot of the time I'll make my online handles literary references from this book. I read it years ago, but to this day I'll think of something funny I remember from it and laugh out loud.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series is another bunch of books that I absolutely loved. It was totally unique, and had the best beginning and ending out of any story I've read personally. Stephen King considers it to be his Magnum Opus, the Lord of the Rings to his Tolkien. In fact, if I remember right, the LotR books are what inspired him to create an epic like this initially.

I also really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Follet usually does spy thriller and action type books, but this book was the exception as it dealed with the building of a cathedral in early medieval Britain, and spans decades.

I've heard of the ender series. That might be something to look into.

I'm more of a supernatural kind of book person. So, things like the Pride Series by Vincent or Briggs Mercy Thompson's Series (geared towards women again).

Historical books are great too. Historical Fiction as well, though, if it's fiction, I tend to go nooo...that's false XD. One of the bad sides of being a history buff.

Edited by Hatari

I don't read much, but sometimes a good book doesn't hurt.

I have a list of unfinished books (which I should probably finish) which includes...

-Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Shelby Jr.

-1984 by George Orwell

-Zodiac by Robert Graysmith

-Nine Stories by J.D Salinger

and speaking of J.D Salinger, I LOVED The Catcher in the Rye.

I don't have much taste in books, but I like the classics. Things like the Arabian Nights, H.G Wells stories, stuff from those authors Communard and Revan mentioned, and nearly any murder mystery that isn't straight horrible.

Edited by Goldnail

The classics: I can't handle books like Shakespeare or Jane Austin, etc.

Lord of the Rings: No...I was never a fan of them or the movies. Probably because of all of the hype about them...and listening to other girls drool over the elf.

Why not?

Have you ever tried reading something like Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility?

Why not?

Have you ever tried reading something like Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility?

Mr. Darcy was like the Edward Cullen of Victorian England. Or something like that.

Edited by Le Communard

My favorite authors are Terry Pratchett and Orson Scott Card. My personal favorites from Pratchett are the Reaper Man and Good Omens (not a Discworld book). From Card, I absolutely love the Ender/Shadow series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant, Ender in Exile: Ganges). I read all eight (currently published) Ender/Shadow books in the eighth grade, and I've read each one at least once more. Despite the fact that the characters seem a little too smart, I absolutely love the plot and how Card displays the various alien species throughout the series.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Eragon, despite how many people hate it. At least Paolini understands that if you're going to copy, copy from the best.