Mafia (the game)

General Spoon

This is the official Mafia game thread where all discussions/game play/voting will take place. For those playing, all game-related posts should go here. You can, of course, have private conversations through PM, AIM, etc.

If you are dead or not playing, do not post in this thread. If you're dead, you're dead. I can't stop you from talking about the game outside of the forum, but by the honor system, please don't. It'll only ruin the fun of the game for others.

Gameplay/Rules

Each game day consists of the Day Phase and the Night Phase. Since my schedule is fairly busy and not perfect, there will not be a 100% set schedule for this. There will, however, be a minimum time limit of 24 hours per day phase. So from the time of my most recent update, you have at least 24 hours to post your votes. Once that time has passed, someone will be hung and the night phase will begin. Once I post that the night phase has begun, ya'll can start PM'ing me. I will post the results once all actions are submitted (or at least 24 hours have passed, in case people forget). This may cause the game to run a little slowly, but it also gives more time for forum discussion, strategy stuff, etc.

Additionally, I would ask that you do not change your name while playing the game.

Day Phase

The Day Phase is when everyone decides to cast a vote to hang someone (or hang no one, if you decide). You do not have to vote. For this game, votes will be cast publicly on the forum. Votes must be bolded and obvious. If I miss a vote because you implied it or forgot to make it obvious, that's your fault, not mine. If you change your vote and make a new post with a vote, unbold your old one. If you change your vote and forget to unbold your first one, I'll ignore your attempt of change because, well, because I can. Remember, everyone (save for those who are dead) participates in voting if they decide to.

In case of ties...

7 votes for VincentASM to hang

7 votes for General Spoon to hang

No clear winner, no one hangs.

7 votes for VincentASM to hang

7 votes not to hang anyone

VincentASM will hang. "Not hanging" votes lose the tie breaker.

The sheriff's vote can also act as a tie-breaker.

Night Phase

The Night Phase is for those with special abilities (certain citizens have these, and the Mafia does). The most notable part of this phase is who the Mafia kills. To do your actions, send me a PM on this forum. Make it 100% clear who you are performing your action to. In the subject, put the Day # in there somewhere. For example, the mafia will PM me who they kill each night, if there's a bodyguard then he will protect someone, etc.

Special Roles

Everyone will receive their role in a PM. For this round (yes, we'll have more rounds later), I will be posting the approximate number of mafia members and what special roles there are. All roles are distributed randomly via a program. No, it's not rigged, and no, I am not going to change the results for friends. I want to hold true to the randomness of the game. So, theoretically, the same person could be mafia 5 rounds in a row.

Bodyguard

Every night phase, the bodyguard can protect one person. Protecting blocks all actions done on that person (mafia killing attempts, and vigilante killing attempts). The bodyguard can only protect himself once.

Sheriff

This player's vote will break ties. He does not have to say he is breaking the tie, it will simply be done. The sheriff is hiding from the Mafia for his own protection, but he is know to me (the moderator).

Vigilante

At most every other night, this player can take actions into their own hands and kill someone.

Questions, Comments, Concerns

If you have an questions, post it in the original mafia thread (where I originally announced the game would be played). If I forgot to mention something here, feel free to post about it there too.

Fun fact: We have 13 players this game.

There are 3 or 4 mafia, 1 bodyguard, 1 sheriff, and 1 vigilante.

Isaac55..........................................Dead - Night 1 - Ran over by a black van

Hikarusa..........................................Dead - Night 4 - Eaten by The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Xeld...............................................Dead - Night 0 - Thrown into a wood chipper

Crysta_.........................................Dead - Night 5 - Shot repeatedly

The Ferret Whisperer...................Dead - Night 1 - Stuffed in a washing machine and thrown off building

CATS.............................................Alive

Hero............................................Dead -Day 3- Hung

Proto............................................Dead - Night 3 - Beaten to death

Ether...........................................Dead - Day 2 - Hung (Mafia member)

WeaponsofMassConstruction......Dead - Day 1 - Hung (Mafia member)

Nightmare...................................Dead - Day 5 - Burned as a witch

Balcerzak...................................Dead - Night 2 - Crushed by Improbability

Star Mist's Nii-san.......................Alive

Edited by General Spoon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night time fades over the town of Fiana. Word on the street is, a new mafia gang has formed. The people are worried about crime and murder. Only time will tell if anything happens tonight...

Night Phase Begins - Day 0

The game starts out in the night phase. It is time for special actions to take place via PM.

Edited by General Spoon

Oh yes.

Winning Conditions

The mafia wins if they kill everyone else.

The citizens win by killing all the mafia.

Um, if the Mafia has more members at any time during the game, they have achieved a sufficient condition for victory and it's not necessary to continue on. Just putting that out there if you want to make the games go a little faster.

Note to all: I am acting as an assistant moderator here. I will check in periodically to keep up with the game.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Um, if the Mafia has more members at any time during the game, they have achieved a sufficient condition for victory and it's not necessary to continue on. Just putting that out there if you want to make the games go a little faster.

Well yes. I was just planning on stopping the game if the mafia did that.

I think, somewhere near the top of the OP, you should mention what the current phase so that players can quickly check whether it's day or night. Votals should also be in the OP when it's Day Phase but you probably knew that already.

I think, somewhere near the top of the OP, you should mention what the current phase so that players can quickly check whether it's day or night. Votals should also be in the OP when it's Day Phase but you probably knew that already.

There will be a separate thread with updates in it. All you'll need to do is look there to see what the last phase was. The previous day phases's vote totals will go there as well.

As for the current day phases's total, its the job of the players to keep track of it :D

Edited by General Spoon

A polar bear, huh? I wonder who would be likely to have such an animal as a pet? *scrolls up the the list of names*

Hmm, Crysta is possible, snowflakes are crystals. However! I think what is more telling is is Nightmare's Hokuto no Ken imagery. Fist of the North Star. North, like where the Polar Bears live. QED.

Hang Nightmare.

Edited by Balcerzak

Voting for Ether, because she's Canadian, and we all know Canadians are eskimos with hockey sticks polar bears!

In all seriousness, I have no bloody idea, so if any other evidence/theories are brought forward it'd be much appreciated. The vote is by no means concrete.

Edited by Crysta

Voting for Ether, because she's Canadian, and we all know Canadians are eskimos with hockey sticks polar bears!

In all seriousness, I have no bloody idea, so if any other evidence/theories are brought forward it'd be much appreciated. The vote is by no means concrete.

If it is a vote, I would appreciate it if you would bold the person's name.

Edited by General Spoon