More bad news

Hero

It looks like Yulia Timoshenko has just lost the Ukrainian presidential elections. With more than 96% of the votes counted, she's behind more than 3% (the final exact count probably won't be announced for more than a week yet.)

For those of you who don't follow the Ukrainian political scene, her main opponent in this election was Viktor Yanukovich. His political party, the Party of Regions, is some crazy anti-Western, Russian minority nationalist faction. Their platform is to end foreign direct investment in Ukraine, cripple tourism and reignite the Cold War. According to Yanukovich, a vote for him was a vote for a "more [stable] and powerful Ukraine".

Quite uninspired compared to Yulia, a vote for her was a vote for "a new Ukraine, a happy, powerful, beautiful European country." Unlike Yanukovich, Yulia has vision as well as political knowhow. She's also hot. Check out this picture of her standing next to Vladimir Putin in one of her trademark outfits:

296c2g6.jpg

yulia is on the right

I do not like her hair.

You're just jealous.

I can't comment on hotness, as I can't see the pic

That sucks, you still can't see TinyPic? If you can't just check out the picture on an uncensored connection you can always search Google Images for 'Yulia Timoshenko'.

but why should we care about the politics of some random obscure country?

You think Ukraine is random and obscure? Just wait till I get started about the snap election (really a Romanian-backed coup) this summer in Moldova!

Edited by Hero

You think Ukraine is random and obscure? Just wait till I get started about the snap election (really a Romanian-backed coup) this summer in Moldova!

There was a girl from Moldova in my high school. She was kinda anorexic but hot in that way a lot of eastern european girls are. I like Slavic girls. We should hear more about them.

I didn't bother to read

Then why are you posting? Get the hell out of my topic.

I like Slavic girls. We should hear more about them.

Me too, I agree.

Me too, I agree.

KIEV (Reuters) - It must have been the soaring political temperature in Ukraine that kept four women safe from the sub-zero weather after they stripped to the waist to protest during a presidential election on Sunday.

http://in.reuters.co...-45978620100207

http://uk.news.yahoo...ne-7f81b96.html

http://blog.kievukra...-ukrainian.html

Edited by SeverIan

I am posting because this topic is public and resererved for anyone in specific, I just don't feel like reading any news at the moment.

Then you've just wasted 5 seconds of my precious time. How are you gonna make up for that, Hmm?

http://www.rferl.org/content/Bringing_Moldovas_Women_Into_The_Democratization_Process/1927570.html

Moldova's women remain prime targets for human trafficking and exploitation, and it will take more than just improving Moldova's economy to save them.

Both the blight and the profits of human trafficking in Moldova can be felt everywhere in the small country. Children left in the care of ailing grandparents or abandoned to appalling orphanages in Chisinau represent part of the toll trafficking has taken on families in Moldova. The ostentatious new homes at the edges of poor villages and young men driving luxury cars purchased with foreign remittances illustrate the irresistible lure of the trade.

Trafficking represents more than just the selling of human bodies. It is a painfully clear indication of a government's failure to protect its citizens, to provide basic necessities, and to insure civil rights. Moldova, the poorest country in Europe, bears the scars of poor governance, geopolitical tugs-of-war, and internal ethnic struggles.

But it is Moldova's women who are suffering the most in these struggles. If trafficking is to be abated, if Moldova is to get back on its feet economically and politically, and if civil society and democracy are to be strengthened, Moldova needs to pay attention to the rights and democratic responsibilities of women.

Yet women do not possess power within society to change these conditions for themselves and their families. Nor do they have the power to change conditions within society for the benefit of all. Through the seemingly empowering act of emigration, many women are made victims of traffickers and abusive employment practices abroad, yet they receive little or no protection from the Moldovan government or society.

why should we care about some random obscure country?

Thats what Bern thought about Pherae in FE6 and look where that got them

I didn't read it before because it contained weird names and politics, yeah.

obviously you've never done a Maths test in Britain nowadays everybody is called Sanjay or Vladimir to try and prevent xenophobia

weird names

You do realize how funny this is, considering that you have a whole bunch of names like 'Sanaki' and 'Ryougi Shiki' in your signature, right?

obviously you've never done a Maths test in Britain nowadays everybody is called Sanjay or Vladimir to try and prevent xenophobia

That reminds me of my seventh-grade English books, where José and Kilanee would walk to Nguyen's house to play in his big backyard. Political correctness!

And uhh... She isn't president anymore?

Never has been. Until now she's been prime minister under a discredited president who's become her bitter political opponent over the last couple years, Yushchenko. The guy who claimed that Russian secret service agents had been poisoning him using radioactive materials that caused disfiguring scars to appear on his face.