Best GBA Swordmaster

Just call me AL

Who is the best GBA SM?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Best SM

Worse relative to everyone else's offense since they don't get the +2 Str in hard mode.

This is true, but Rutger is killing stuff much more easily in normal mode.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutger. I started a HM playthrough just the other day and realized he started with 15 speed, while Dieck (my fastest dude at the time) only had 10. The guy's a pimp.

This is true, but Rutger is killing stuff much more easily in normal mode.

When is he even above Joshua when the enemies on Hard Mode are much more harder and actually get buffed? 1-3 Def & 5-10 HP is actually something...even if he dodges as he does, it's like he'll be 2RKO?'ing unless he has a killing edge.

Joshua faces the same crappy enemies on Hard Mode.

Name an enemy Rutger can't reliably kill better than all of your team.

I can definitely do that with Joshua, lol.

You DID say soldiers are quite buffed, is 2RKO'ing reliable? He can't 1RKO unless he has a killing edge. You also says he has better offense on Normal Mode, whereas, Joshua is doing as well on his Hard Mode where enemies are lol, his base Spd & Luck give him higher Avo where enemies are laughable.

Yes, you can. At least you get the same results when Joshua is using a killing edge.

Thank God Rutger comes with one and uses it better than anyone else by far and can one-round loldiers with a Steel Blade or something, lol.

Joshua's class bonus is +15. Rutger's is +30 with another +25 from supports. They are not performing the same. Rutger performs the task of killing extremely durable and fast enemies and very powerful bosses that are much harder than anything in FE 8 while Joshua's offense can be replicated by a dozen units. Rutger's offense is not able to be replicated at all. It's the best by far.

A base 25% Crit at 20/1 is actually something good, it's not Joshua's fault they halved the bonus. :(

Oh yeah, their Str is around the same, and Joshua looses even less AS to a Steel Blade as well as also making good use out of it by having great offense.

Edited by Alan Rainsworth

Rutger gets +30 and has support options handed to him freely that give him +25 while Joshua has +20 after S'ing Swords and then has to get crappy Wind x Ice or something for much less bonuses in Crit from supports. Rutger's got 96 Crit with a Killing Edge immediately after promotion. That is very extreme. With a Wo Doa, it turns into 101.

Rutger losing any AS is meaningless because he'll still double whatever he attacks.

Rutger has unique uses that Joshua never has. For instance, I can't imagine anyone else besides Marcus and Dieck being able to go near Dory without dying (19 Str, 10 Spd, Killer Axe) and Rutger is clearly way better than them against him because he doubles and they don't. I can't imagine anyone, even Dieck, being good against Henning and his 13 AS + 21 Skl + 12 Str/Steel Blade + 15 Def and throne Evd boosts.

Edited by Inui

Have fun filling up all of Rutger's support slots. We've gone from assuming A Clarine/B Dieck long ago to A or B Clarine now. Rutger's getting +15 crit from supports at best.

In efficiency, not ranked. I don't do much with efficiency, and even then, I see little reason to not support him with Dieck at all.

Have fun filling up all of Rutger's support slots. We've gone from assuming A Clarine/B Dieck long ago to A or B Clarine now. Rutger's getting +15 crit from supports at best.

I only recall that being "GrandJackal tries to sandbag Rutger," not a community-wide agreement.

You can beat every other boss without Rutger. Those two are just too gay. Rutger's also the best for every magic using boss, but they are all beatable regardless.

Dieck's 10 Spd was beating Marcus's base 11 Spd and Chad's 10 Spd base with an 80% growth? Imagine that.

Lol, forgot about Marcus. Ok, so second best. I didn't use Chad (why bother when you only need him to steal), and I meant people I was actually using.

Seriously, how do you kill Dory and Henning without Rutger?

I used a combination of like, Marcus and Lance for Dorie (I think). My ~15/1 Dieck > Hening