Do you like DS games? Do you like telling people what to do? THEN GET THE FUCK IN HERE

Judas

So I haven't touched my DS in forever and a half (preoccupied mainly with PC gaming), but recently I've been getting back into it and I'm looking to acquire some delicious DS games to add to my neglected collection. However since I haven't been a part of the DS scene since, like, early 2008, I have no idea what the good games are and what games are miserable. That's where you come in -- you get to tell me what games are awesome! Now keep in mind I'm not going to go on an archaeological expedition to find these games, so they should probably still be in stores.

Here's my current collection of DS games so you get an idea of what games I like:

-Both DS Advance Wars games

-Animal Crossing: Wild World

-Brothers in Arms DS (I was curious to see what a DS FPS would handle like, okay? Don't judge me. ;_;)

-All four Ace Attorney games

-Etrian Odyssey II

-Kirby: Canvas Curse

-Final Fantasy III

-Hotel Dusk: Room 215

-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

-Pokemon Pearl Version

-Luminous Arc

-Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

-Nintendogs

-New Super Mario Bros.

-Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

-Mario Kart DS

So, what should I spring for?

Edited by Judas

So I haven't touched my DS in forever and a half (preoccupied mainly with PC gaming), but recently I've been getting back into it and I'm looking to acquire some delicious DS games to add to my neglected collection. However since I haven't been a part of the DS scene since, like, early 2008, I have no idea what the good games are and what games are miserable. That's where you come in -- you get to tell me what games are awesome! Now keep in mind I'm not going to go on an archaeological expedition to find these games, so they should probably still be in stores.

Here's my current collection of DS games so you get an idea of what games I like:

-Both DS Advance Wars games

-Animal Crossing: Wild World

-Brothers in Arms DS (I was curious to see what a DS FPS would handle like, okay? Don't judge me. ;_;)

-All four Ace Attorney games

-Etrian Odyssey II

-Kirby: Canvas Curse

-Final Fantasy III

-Hotel Dusk: Room 215

-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

-Pokemon Pearl Version

-Luminous Arc

-Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

-Nintendogs

-New Super Mario Bros.

-Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

-Mario Kart DS

So, what should I spring for?

Might I reccomend Squeak Squad? I see that you like Kirby, and it was a fun game. (IMO)

Also Spirit Tracks. I enjoyed the game :)

Edited by Bryan

Devil Survivor, Nostalgia, Touch Detective, and the Professor Layton series.

EDIT:

Pokemon Rangers. I can't believe I almost forgot.

EDIT2:

The World Ends With You, Rune Factory 1 & 2 to name a few more. Time Hollow is recommended.

Edited by Chalis

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest V

These are the best RPGs on the DS right now IMO. Together they should keep you occupied for at least a couple of months. I strongly recommend you get at least one.

Edited by Hero

Devil Survivor, the Professor Layton series, Time Hollow, Trauma Center, and Trauma Center 2.

...Maybe Phantasy Star Zero? :/

Edit: Of course Chalis would already have the first two down. *headdesk*

Edited by Roxas

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest V

These are the best RPGs on the DS right now IMO. Together they should keep you occupied for at least a couple of months. I strongly recommend you get at least one.

I probably won't buy both of them being the impoverished teenager I am, so if I am to select between these titles, which one should I go for?

I probably won't buy both of them being the impoverished teenager I am, so if I am to select between these titles, which one should I go for?

Your choice. DQIV seems like it's significantly cheaper on Amazon and ebay right now though.

Have you ever considered getting a DS flashcard?

Harvest moon ds cute (the original has a ton of glitches)

Pokemon Platinum

Civilization revolution

What if Judas likes getting a billion gold by having HSs fishing in the ocean? D:

Pokemon Rangers: Shadows of Almia. Better than the original. :>

Harvest Moon: Sunshine Island. ...I still hate the title. >_>

Mario Party DS. WHOA DUDES. Whoa. Shut up. I like things involving dice.

Avalon Code

Disgaea DS

...everything else has already been said

PL RF PL RF PL RF

I'd give FFIV DS a shot. Also, like Bryan said: FE:SD is worth the 25 bucks or so you'll pay for it.

EDIT: And like someone earlier said, get M&L 3: BiS: It's much better than PiT and arguably better than the original M&L too.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Etrian Odyssey 1 : D

The three Castlevania games

Metal Slug 7

CONTRA 4!!!

Kirby Super Star ULTRA

This is all I can recommend at the moment.

Edited by Ein Silver Rose

I would recommend Miles Edgeworth, but since you have all four Ace Attorney games, I guess you'll be getting that one anyway.

If you like rhythm games, give Elite Beat Agents a try. It's really fun once you learn how to do it, and has a pretty good song selection too.

EDIT: Just noticed Ein's post, do not get all three Castlevania games. The first two are not worth it at all unless you're like, a super hardcore fan or something. I'd only recommend the third (Order of Ecclesia), but even that would require some level of devotion to the series because it's not too friendly if you're new to the games.

Edited by Nightmare

I don't know, Dawn of Sorrow isn't exactly a bad game, it's just...weird. You have the (mostly) bland level design (not to mention bland colours), the terrible story, butchered characters, horrible anime art (not saying anime is horrible, but the art in this game is) and an ok soundtrack. On the other hand it has really good controls, the DSS is polished and a lot better than Aria's (even though it needs more grinding) and amazing boss battles. Lost Village is also great.

It isn't something I'd go back to again and again, unlike Ecclesia, which manages to stay fresh because of the improved enemy AI and great balance in just about everything. Much better characters/story/soundtrack/atmosphere, too. I could really go on and on about why I like this better, but I'll just leave it at that.

Just my thoughts on why he should ignore the first two.

Edited by Nightmare

I'd give FFIV DS a shot.

It amazes me how they managed to make a SNES game with mediocre graphics for its time look even uglier in a DS remake.

Edited by Hero

Ignore the DS Zelda games. You want a good portable Zelda? The last one of those was released in 2005. Moving on.

Going to echo Thunk on the Dragon Quest recommendation. I forget if you're an RPG guy, but if you are, then either of those titles is a must. Personal favorite's Hand of the Heavenly Bride, but Chapters of the Chosen is similarly awesome.

Kirby: Superstar Ultra. Remake of Superstar with added a bunch of added shit. Impossible not to like. (Unless you hate rehashes).

Metroid Prime: Hunters. Modestly enjoyable single-player mode, good graphics. Multi-player's a great time sink.

Nanostray. Addictive as fuck top-down shooter.

You don't have Super Mario 64 DS? What the fuck.

TL;DR, get a flashcart, play DS, GBA and GBC games on one cartridge.

Ignore the DS Zelda games. You want a good portable Zelda? The last one of those was released in 2005.

Speaking of things to recommend against, this would one statement I'd disagree with. Phantom Hourglass was a bit meh, but Spirit Tracks is one you're probably gonna want here. 2009, Nintendo DS game of the year, what's not to like about it?

Could do with less train time though, but Spirit Tracks is what I'm recommending here.

Seeing as you have EO2 and FFIII while considering getting DQIV/V I'd say you are retro enough to like Retro Game Challenge. It's a pastiche of 80s video games and more of a 'retro game collection' than the actual collections as you are actually anticipating the release of the games in it while reading up the latest issues of your favorite video game magazine. It's also based on a Japanese TV show where some comedian is forced to play through retro games.

Also more people buying it will mean that they'll localize the sequel which, while the first game is already great, improves on it in each and every way.

Phantom Hourglass was a bit meh, but Spirit Tracks is one you're probably gonna want here. 2009, Nintendo DS game of the year, what's not to like about it?

That's not how you spell "Bowser's Inside Story".

Edited by Ike-Mike

Speaking of things to recommend against, this would one statement I'd disagree with. Phantom Hourglass was a bit meh, but Spirit Tracks is one you're probably gonna want here. 2009, Nintendo DS game of the year, what's not to like about it?

Could do with less train time though, but Spirit Tracks is what I'm recommending here.

I would reccomend it too. Driving the train was neat, and Zelda goes along with you for the whole quest. :D