GK Runthrough. Kinda.

Arright, well. The title isn't exactly being honest, as I'll be using the Lords and Colm, because I love money. But yeah, my main force will consist of Franz, Forde, Gilliam, Kyle, Amelia and Duessel, because I love the class and I believe it's the class with the most potential characters. And other than this, I won't be able to deploy anyone. Depending on how Eirika turns out, I might give I'm going Hard Mode, and Ephraim Route; more because I dislike Eirika's route than actually liking Duessel. Anyways, I'm up to Artur's chapter, and will post stats later; needless to say that Eirika's level 8, and Gilliam and Forde are up there too. It's kind of sad that this Eirika is one level shy of my first PT's Eirika.

It's been really enjoyable so far; fighting through early levels with 3.5 people has a certain thrill to it, as well as breeding an appreciation of the common Vulnerary.

Now, one thing; is there any point in training Eirika or will she just default to level 13 or whatever when she returns? Any advice will be appreciated.

according to what's here http://www.serenesforest.net/fe8/base_p.htm it states:

if the other Lord (who you did not choose after Chapter 8) is under Level 15, they will have their Level raised by 6 (up to a maximum of Level 15) and their stats adjusted accordingly when you get them back in Chapter 14.

and from my own experience (though I haven't played through this game in quite a while),

if they happen to be over or at lv 15 (say arena abused Eirika) they show up at the same level they were then

good luck and remember to have fun w/ it ^^

Thanks. I didn't know that, it'll be useful...lessee, 8+6=14, so I got one more level...but I'll let Gilliam, Franz and Colm take over. Colm's only level 5.10, so...

Edited by The Ferret Whisperer

I know a guy who's done this before. He's on this forum too, under the name Crepe Knight. If you need advice, have questions or just want to chat about great knights in Sacred Stones, he's the guy to go to.

Edited by Hero

This is easier than a Seth only runthrough.

Seth only runthrough can actually be kinda hard near the end since you have to take care of Eirika/Ephraim, and GKs only can at least have some random unit rescue Eirika, so yeah, I see why this PT is easier.

Problem is gonna be levelling Amelia without the tower. Should I make her a Knight or Cavalier first?

Made some more progress; now up to the gaiden with Ephraim. Eirika hit level ten so I'm using her as little as possible. Joshua and Artur bit it, Joshua becoming useful XP for Gilliam (who took the entire first attack in that chapter) and I hid Artur in the top left corner of his joining map; forgetting entirely about the reinforcements.

I think I forgot to recruit Lute. Whoops! Ah well, this ain't going to be a flawless runthrough by any means.

I prefer Knight to be honest, since you get a better +DEF on promotion and I mainly level her via javelins anyway.

Plus, you already have - four, five cavaliers? Mix it up a little.

EDIT: Upon actually looking at the numbers (yeah, I was from-memory-ing it) you also get +1 CON via the knight promotion, which is precious for Amelia imho.

Edited by Integrity

And she'll never make it to any opponents. All of your other units will have 2-3 MOV on her as well as significantly better stats. She'll never get to promote unless TFW drastically slows down. After all, by the time she promotes the first time, Gilliam could very well have already promoted.

Have fun on chapter 15!

And she'll never make it to any opponents. All of your other units will have 2-3 MOV on her as well as significantly better stats. She'll never get to promote unless TFW drastically slows down. After all, by the time she promotes the first time, Gilliam could very well have already promoted.

Have fun on chapter 15!

His turncount is going to be marvelous, but he should be able to deal with everything. Except for Knoll, who he can afford to lose seeing how he does onthing at all. Caellach is fine once Iron Rune is gone, and Duessel takes out Valter.

Yeah, the desert chapter is where I'm uncertain. It's one of two reasons I wanted Colm to be allowed XD. I might throw Amelia up there to kill some guys and the 'Zerker, if she needs XP.

Actually, it's really good; there's a kind of edgy tactics to it that I've never experienced before; it's hard to describe, but it's exhilarating (didn't spell that correctly but screw it).

And yeah, trying to be efficient will be fun.

There's no question about going Cavalier. It's slightly worse statwise, with -1 STR, -2 DEF, -1HP and nothing notable to make up for it (+1 SPD is often balanced by -1 CON). However, +3 MOV and Swords, albeit iron, more than make up for it.

There's no question about going Cavalier. It's slightly worse statwise, with -1 STR, -2 DEF, -1HP and nothing notable to make up for it (+1 SPD is often balanced by -1 CON). However, +3 MOV and Swords, albeit iron, more than make up for it.

Right, my mind is made up...cavalier it is. Gilliam's levelling freakishly quickly and-

You know what's awesome? Realising only now that Knight Crests're gonna be a problem XD

Nah. Just sell all those Orion's Bolts and whatnot you don't need, then recruit/kill Rennac and hit up a Secret Shop.

Unless you think you'll need promotions for all of your units before Chapter 14, then you're right.

Well, a quick scan reveals you ought to get two Crests before the shop, and another in that map on Ephraim's route. That's provided you can make all the Cavaliers survive Duessel's stage, though, and I dunno how that would go without any healers.

On the other hand, you'd have two GKs and Duessel to sponge XP until that chapter shows, so ...hell, I dunno. What's your progress, anyhow?

Well, I just finished 5X. First I tried it without Orson, and failed, badly. So I used him to meatwall, and again failed badly. Then I just said 'Fuck it' and gave him an Iron Sword, with which I should've beaten the map had both cavaliers not failed to kill a mage...and then a Javelin, which I finally succeeded with. Kyle with a Killer Lance and 57 hit against Steel Blade Zonta with 48 hit kept missing, until finally after about 9 turns Kyle critkilled the bastard.

Anyway, now Chapter Six. After a couple trial runs I've decided to just let Gilliam kill everything, as the most damage he's taken from anyone is being doubled for 2 damage each by a Merc he 2-rounds. Franz with pure water will take Novala, I'm thinkin'. In all the times I've played the level I've never seen the famous death spider even appear, let alone kill the peasantry...however, if I'm relying on Gilliam the civilians are probably dead meat. Meh.

Gilliam is level 11 with 4 speed, so he's gonna be fucked if anyone with an Armourslayer attacks him. I believe he's slightly Str and Def-blessed, however. Franz on the other hand is nicely balanced out, level 10 with 10 Str, 10 Skl and 11 Spd. Colm ate a Dragonshield, but at level 7 still has only 5 Str. Eirika will probably gain no benefit from further levels unless I actually get her past level 15, which might end up happening.

Well, I just finished 5X. First I tried it without Orson, and failed, badly. So I used him to meatwall, and again failed badly. Then I just said 'Fuck it' and gave him an Iron Sword, with which I should've beaten the map had both cavaliers not failed to kill a mage...and then a Javelin, which I finally succeeded with. Kyle with a Killer Lance and 57 hit against Steel Blade Zonta with 48 hit kept missing, until finally after about 9 turns Kyle critkilled the bastard.

Anyway, now Chapter Six. After a couple trial runs I've decided to just let Gilliam kill everything, as the most damage he's taken from anyone is being doubled for 2 damage each by a Merc he 2-rounds. Franz with pure water will take Novala, I'm thinkin'. In all the times I've played the level I've never seen the famous death spider even appear, let alone kill the peasantry...however, if I'm relying on Gilliam the civilians are probably dead meat. Meh.

Gilliam is level 11 with 4 speed, so he's gonna be fucked if anyone with an Armourslayer attacks him. I believe he's slightly Str and Def-blessed, however. Franz on the other hand is nicely balanced out, level 10 with 10 Str, 10 Skl and 11 Spd. Colm ate a Dragonshield, but at level 7 still has only 5 Str. Eirika will probably gain no benefit from further levels unless I actually get her past level 15, which might end up happening.

Isn't there a fighter with a halberd in Chapter 6?

I think there is EDIT since there's a new page now, a halberd. /EDIT, but there aren't any armorslayers in Ch6 IIRC.

Plus, who gives a shit about the civilians, it's just an Orion's Bolt. :P

Edited by Integrity

I think there is EDIT since there's a new page now, a halberd. /EDIT, but there aren't any armorslayers in Ch6 IIRC.

Plus, who gives a shit about the civilians, it's just an Orion's Bolt. :P

I reckon they shoulda sold their bolt and invested in some weaponry and/or redshirt mercenaries.

All the redshirts would accomplish is getting that Bael leveled so he's even bigger by the time he got to them. Plus, weapons? They can't enter the mountains and it oneshots them anyway.

HOWEVER, the money would have been well spent bribing Mr. Dick Magicboss to not teleport them into the mountains to get eaten. Evil people always like money, right?

It was going so well. Franz had levelled HP, Str, Skl, Spd AND Def in one level. Gilliam was taking down everyone in two shots. The spider ate the kid. Oh well.

Then I realised that this random armour had a Horseslayer. Killed Franz with 65% displayed.

These are my thoughts on the matter

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...

Still, at least I have my tactic. Gilliam sits in a forest (or even better a fort) and tanks the entire enemy force as Franz pure waters up and moves up to take Novala.