Final Fantasy XII

luigi bros

I'm considering playing this game. I've heard it's very differant to other FF games. How much, and how so? Also, I saw a video and there was a bit of blood. Is this game gory?

The combat system is quite different. There's no random encounters, instead you can see all the enemies in the main world, and instead of going to a 'battle screen' to fight them, you simply fight them in real-time as you meet them. Also, you only control one character at a time, and the others fight automatically.

Also, I found the story to be cliched and somewhat lacking, but overall, I thought it was an excellent game. And no, it's not gory at all.

I heard that even Japan hates it.

lol

I think you're referring to FFXIII ;)

I've also got FFX but it got irritating. Is that game any good?

Depends. You have to drudge through a few hours before it gets good. Heck, I'd say that the first 5 hours aren't up to par. But then it starts to get really good toward the end.

I'm still at the beggining but so far what's irritated me is how the game's underwater controls are impossible, and the battle system is pretty bad compared to the ATB system.

I'm still at the beggining but so far what's irritated me is how the game's underwater controls are impossible, and the battle system is pretty bad compared to the ATB system.

Well, you don't have a whole lot of underwater time in the grand scheme of the game. Most of it happens in the first hour and at 2 other points in the game. And I'm going to betray every person who likes FF in the world, but I'm going to freely admit that I preferred FFX's turn based system over the traditional ATB system.

And just so you know, FXII does return to a form of ATB, just without random battles.

Besaid in FFX is permanently a bloodcurdling blur of anger to me; this one time, I thought I'd actually screwed up the Besaid trial, and I'd last saved on the ship or something far behind. Oh...gods. I was actually more pissed off that I realised, halfway back to the Trials, that I wasn't screwed.

FFXII's good, though. I prefer it to ten. And X-2 can be thrown into a car fire.

I'm considering playing this game. I've heard it's very differant to other FF games. How much, and how so? Also, I saw a video and there was a bit of blood. Is this game gory?

Differences:

Real time combat. No turn taking. It can get a bit ridiculous if you're not ready for enemies to come in numbers.

The story is rather short.

Too many dungeons. The last half of the game is a dungeon lover's paradise.

The Viara are fan service(or there would be males)

Ranged weapons suck against everything that isn't flying, and have horribly unrealistic reuse times.

Status effects are detrimental. You may find yourself on the verge of shouting whenever you get status spammed in a boss fight.

Vaan's abs look funny.

There's no new game plus feature.

Two handed swords can't be used until nearly the end of the game, therefore, no muscling your way through battles. You have to think like a tactician.

Overall, it's only fun for me if I'm hacking it, and only on the first play through.

If you must play it, do it for the interesting story and the airship cutscenes which are beautiful.

I thought FFXII could have been much better than it was in terms of story. However, I strongly recommend read/skimming this walkthrough of FFXII. IMO it's pretty funny.

Cut scene: Belias falls. The little one puts his hands on its knees - cute in a freakish way. It growls and then explodes. A Rorschach test appears. I see an owl wearing a kimono.

Everyone stands around and it feels post-coital. Some of them even start with little pillow-talk stories. Fran goes first with a poem that describes espers as challengers to the gods who are trapped in the Mist. Ashe, never to let someone one-up her, tells a story that uses the word "thralldom." I looked it up, thralldom means slavery. Ashe's story is that the boss we just beat served King Raithwall and he is really the treasure of the legend. Basch sits quietly deciding whether he should go next and tell everyone about the time he got a free 32-oz steak at Rusty Pete's Chuck Wagon because he ate it in half an hour and then got to wear a cowboy hat for the picture that was pinned on the wall of fame. He opts to wait for the next boss fight to tell it.

Ashe gets this really bad idea to use the Dawn Shard against the Empire. She recites a poem that seems to justify Dalmasca's right to use weaponized nethicite. I think it was by Machiavelli. Long pause as the clan thinks of a way to tell Ashe she is wrong without using the word "fascist."
Two handed swords can't be used until nearly the end of the game, therefore, no muscling your way through battles. You have to think like a tactician.

????? What ????? There are plenty of katanas available early in the game. They are pretty good to put on your non-tanking characters since they have a high combo rate.

Edited by SeverIan

I loved the game. I kind of hated the battle system though. After a while i found myself with nothing to do in boss battles.The story is great (imo) and the cutscenes are one of the best i have seen.