English or math class

HongLei

Which is worse eng or math class  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worse English or math class

Good English (creative writing etc.) is pretty good. Bad English (massive essays etc.) is like being knifed in the wrist. Not that bad, but slow and kinda painful.

Good maths (simple algebra) is like being shot in the face...you die, but at least it's over quickly. Bad maths (everything else) is like parachuting into boiling oil. Slow, excruciating and fatal.

So, maths is worse.

I enjoy both, when they're taught right. Which my math classes were. The english not so much... Seriously, "write an essay on the history of stained-glass windows" WHAT THE FUCK!?

So yeah, I voted for eng.

I prefer math... Enlish class, i don't like writing massive essays plus the questions after stories and such are annoying, atleast you know that in math you always have the same answer ('cept when you are wrong :lol: ).

English is worse. In an English class, you are completely at the mercy of your teacher's judgement about how he or she wants to grade your work, plus it almost always involves nasty essays that take a long time to write. In a math class, the only judgement that you have to worry about is how much partial credit you get if you mess up during the problem, and the questions take far less time.

Of course, I'm really good at math and don't like writing when I have to, so of course that reasoning is biased, but still...

English is worse. In an English class, you are completely at the mercy of your teacher's judgement about how he or she wants to grade your work, plus it almost always involves nasty essays that take a long time to write. In a math class, the only judgement that you have to worry about is how much partial credit you get if you mess up during the problem, and the questions take far less time.

^This. In English, every bit of it counts. In Math, as long as you find a way to get the correct answer, you're good. English is worse imo.

^This. In English, every bit of it counts. In Math, as long as you find a way to get the correct answer, you're good. English is worse imo.

Well, when you get to the higher math classes, it's less about finding the correct answer and more about finding the correct methods to get at the answer. I've discovered that in college, very little of the points in a question are attributable to the answer itself. Usually, 80% of the question is the method and solution steps and less than 20% is actually the final answer. So as long as you can come up with a working method, that's really most of the battle won already.

Seriously though a lot of questions or essays in English classes there isn't one right set in stone answer like math so English is at the mercy of the teacher what one considers right another may consider wrong

Of course, I'm really good at math and don't like writing when I have to, so of course that reasoning is biased, but still...

Dude. Essays are goddamn awesome. If you can get a good writing style, and figure out how to do things, you should pretty much get close to 100% every time. The Teacher's "judgement" doesn't really come into it, at least in a sane system. Perhaps the Canadian marking system is different, but in English a large part of the mark is based on things that can be somewhat objectively graded. Sure, there is some subjectivity, but it's not difficult to circumvent it.

But Math is awesome too, because you can pretty easily do very well in it.

Dude. Essays are goddamn awesome. If you can get a good writing style, and figure out how to do things, you should pretty much get close to 100% every time. The Teacher's "judgement" doesn't really come into it, at least in a sane system. Perhaps the Canadian marking system is different, but in English a large part of the mark is based on things that can be somewhat objectively graded. Sure, there is some subjectivity, but it's not difficult to circumvent it.

But Math is awesome too, because you can pretty easily do very well in it.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that I LIKE to write essays either. I do get very high marks, but I don't exactly approve of the system of grading as a whole. I really just prefer the subject matter in a math class, and am better at it too, so my vote still stands. Still, you DO have a point there.

There isn't one right set in stone answer, like in math ... what one considers right, another may consider wrong.

And that's why I like English! Maths is just...bland. Do this. Now do that. Finish that column. Now shoot yourself.

Also, there's no way to be creative in Maths beyond taking strange routes to the same goddamn answer.