AstraLunaSol

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boney, you just made my day.

I will also "officially" post Leaf now.

LeafFinishedmaybe-2.png

So it was Leaf. I was wondering but it looked too cool to be him. The part above his bangs looks a bit undershaded but yeah, that's gr9.

LeafFinishedmaybe-2.png

The detail is nice, I'll give you that. However, from an anatomical standpoint, this portrait needs a lot of work done to be a passable quarterbody. Allow me to demonstrate. Don't worry, your sprite won't be edited, just redlined.

You've got the facial basics down, for the most part. The top of the ear lines up with the top of the eyes, and the bottom of the ear with the bottom of the nose. Good job, most people ignore these details. Below the collar, however, is where things start going off-track. What I'm about to do is, in a sense, picture Leaf naked. That get your attention? Good, that was the point.

137c3a8500bd48522f9fed489888edf9.png

That is what I imagine would be a basic outline of his body. Notice anything? No? How about if I fade Leaf back a bit?

c9463542da241a5c60244db6d8eaa2ff.png

Here is where we start noticing a few things about the build of the character. Primarily, it's noticeable with the neck, shoulders, and chest, which is basically everything you have shown here. Here's another structure, using solid colors to give some emphasis to depth.

878bcb3c08548aa7be29685965467bbd.png

How does that look compared to Leaf? Well...

ccbb22b335a80295b505b3059fea5616.png96a85006d6788f0b2612c85ceb07800d.png

How's that for starters? This will show us the various errors present in the piece. For instance, we have

- A collar that's digging into his trapezius muscle

- A torso plate hat's too narrow

- And, my favorite, pauldrons that must be pinching the hell out of his shoulders. Design aside, the shape, angle, and shading of the pauldrons (especially the one on the nearer side) looks like it's much narrower than his shoulder. How do you remedy that? Like so.

3906489d61f8bbc202bf451a539c97cd.png

With a shape that takes the body size and angle into consideration (purple), shading that gives the piece more volume (green), and a less-visible inside (blue).

It's a shame to see the good trim detail go to waste, but odds are you'll have to redraw the sprite. Also, listen to this very carefully:

Draw a sprite in layers. Don't do the armor/clothing/shape all at once. Shape the body, add the first layer of clothing, and add additional layers of clothing/armor as the sprite demands. Otherwise, you'll get what you have here, a misshapen body with a very cramped suit of armor.

• 2 weeks later...

2f42eabec25e653333f5cbf7734ed350.png

Inari, a female Mercenary for DoF.

Something about the face bothers me. Maybe it's the shading? Ah, whatever. I don't have an eye for these things.

When are you going to import that shota!Roxas sprite? ;__;

Edited by Naminé

Something about the face bothers me. Maybe it's the shading? Ah, whatever. I don't have an eye for these things.

When are you going to import that shota!Roxas sprite? ;__;

It's totally how masculine the face is, isn't it? Oh well, Dan's been wrestling with that all night XD

There's a shota Roxas sprite?

It's totally how masculine the face is, isn't it? Oh well, Dan's been wrestling with that all night XD

There's a shota Roxas sprite?

Poor guy. x:

As in, a scarily accurate representation of me.

I know. Hopefully Dei here (I SEE YOU READING THE TOPIC) can give him a nice CnC to fix it

Scarily, you say?

IWhy don't you help him? >:

2h3sfa8.png

Scarily accurate.

Indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

>Posts a Nanna to prevent the topic from getting to the next page

NannaDone-1.png

I'd suggest following The Blind Archer's advice when it comes to anatomy.

Drawing the body first, and dressing it up afterwards.

The left shoulder (our pov) is too high. (Maybe because of that,) the whole left shoulder looks too large.

I also think the right shoulder pad isn't at the right angle.

There are also several problems with the right arm.

I understand that the piece of clothing is some sort of small cape and not a sleeve, but it doesn't look like there's an arm behind it. Extend it on the right side and add shading to give it more volume.

The hair at the back of her head are too straight. See Priscilla for reference.

Oh wow you're right.

FIXY FIXY FIX

I'm more concerned about it not following the rules of gravity.

Edited by Marthur