Resolve Stinks!

So, I just gave Aran a seraph robe and resolve. That way I can get him down to 50% and watch him kick ass through 1E. Apparently, it doesn't work the same way it did in PoR. Not getting x1.5 to Str makes it not worthwhile, IMO. If I'm going to jeopardize a unit, I'd better get something more than speed and accuracy out of it. Granted, Aran was doubling for a change, but I wanted to see shock and awe! So how do you use this skill?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As broken as Resolve was in FE9, it only helped against the Black Knight and Ashnard as the rest of the game was already cake. It's actually useful in FE10.

There's Michaiah, who should always be safe with her range and heavy power, and doesn't actually need to be hit to activate Resolve, as she has sacrifice. Then, consider how often it could help save her life at times she's not OHKOd, which would allow her to pull of some counters every now and then.

Whoever's got an Earth support, as the speed boost gives more avoid, which helps their offense as now they can't be touched as often, which makes up for being at half health.

Laguz. Mordy now doubles, which boosts his strike gain and gives you a monsterous physically invincible killer. Could help Cats survive untransformed, while transformed it's as if you gave them an earth support. Kyza can now double without a speedwing, yadda yadda.

Aran's probably not the right person to give it to, unless he is somehow absolutely invincible. Part 1, that's not happening unless your name is Tauroneo, or you somehow get hit rates to the single digits (again, doesn't happen).

As broken as Resolve was in FE9, it only helped against the Black Knight and Ashnard as the rest of the game was already cake. It's actually useful in FE10.

The fact that you do not have it until that point might also matter...

I got to watch Zihark survive a whole turn of 6+ Laguz Resolved in 3-6 yesterday while my sister was playing.

Thus, by my anecdote to match yours, Resolve is awesomewin.

Go play the Japanese version, where Resolve has a Skill% chance to activate rather than 100%.

Resolve in FE9 was utterly broken, allowing Ike to 1-round Ashnard in combination with Wrath and be unhittable with supports. Grandjackal is incidentally wrong about it being useful against the Black Knight, since Resolve is acquired during C27 and you don't have an opportunity to put it on Ike until C28. Really, it's a good thing that Resolve doesn't exist until then, since whoever you give it to turns into a invincible ORKOing machine.

I see why they nerfed it, as you now get Resolve in 1-6 instead of two chapters before the end of the game, and Skrimir has an extra one.

There's Michaiah, who should always be safe with her range and heavy power, and doesn't actually need to be hit to activate Resolve, as she has sacrifice. Then, consider how often it could help save her life at times she's not OHKOd, which would allow her to pull of some counters every now and then.

Whoever's got an Earth support, as the speed boost gives more avoid, which helps their offense as now they can't be touched as often, which makes up for being at half health.

Laguz. Mordy now doubles, which boosts his strike gain and gives you a monsterous physically invincible killer. Could help Cats survive untransformed, while transformed it's as if you gave them an earth support. Kyza can now double without a speedwing, yadda yadda.

Aran's probably not the right person to give it to, unless he is somehow absolutely invincible. Part 1, that's not happening unless your name is Tauroneo, or you somehow get hit rates to the single digits (again, doesn't happen).

Give it to Zihark.

resolve a bad skill? IMO it's the best skill in FE10. it makes Micaiah at least a little useful, and makes any good trained unit unhittable.

Dunno about best skill. I'd say Paragon, Celerity, Pass, Adept, Stun, Beastfoe and Wrath are all better.

Dunno about best skill. I'd say Paragon, Celerity, Pass, Adept, Stun, Beastfoe and Wrath are all better.

paragon - unnecessary, it's easy enough to get everyone 20/20/20 by endgame

celerity - good to keep everyone together if you you use laguz/ mounted units, but I don't use them.

Pass - as free skill it's good, but furthermore it's waste of space.

Adept - good skill, but doesn't activate much early in the game.

Stun - like every mastery skill, too powerfull for me to count.

Beastfoe - only for a few chapters.

Wrath - getting to 30% of max hp isn't a very smart thing.

IMO~

With Mordy + Resolve its not. I agree with the rest. I'm serious he doesn't die from anything. Aside mages

celerity - good to keep everyone together if you you use laguz/ mounted units, but I don't use them.

IMO~

Not on Hard mode.

a)Why not? b)Haar with +2 movement :awesome:

It's quite handy on a couple of chapters IIRC (Hey look I can 4-turn 4E3 now)

Okay, but earlygame most of your units suck so much Resolve might not be able to save them.

It's an awesome skill. "Too powerful" just proves that it's a better skill.

And in those chapters it makes them a CAKEWALK.

This I can agree on.

Edited by Reinfleche

Not on Hard mode.

a)Why not? b)Haar with +2 movement :awesome:

It's quite handy on a couple of chapters IIRC (Hey look I can 4-turn 4E3 now)

Okay, but earlygame most of your units suck so much Resolve might not be able to save them.

It's an awesome skill. "Too powerful" just proves that it's a better skill.

And in those chapters it makes them a CAKEWALK.

This I can agree on.

true.

to keep your team together, keep them safe( r ).

yes, but only for a few chapters, resolve is good in every chapter.

Adept is still less reliable than resolve.

yes, (almost) all mastery skills are overpowered and stronger than Resolve, but it's not like it's your choice if you'd give them to people (except for laguz), and thus not something to discuss about.

making a few chapters a 'cakewalk', or all chapters easy? hmm, tough choice.

good.

conclusion, paragon might indeed be better, depending on what you need. furthermore resolve is best.

Edited by whase

Resolve doesn't make all chapters easy, it makes one character have a better survival rate. Beastfoe is like having Haar for those chapters (they're DB chapters). Haar is practically invincible anyways and I was saying "why don't you use mounted units".

Adept is actually more reliable than resolve, because you don't have to be low on HP to use it.

I think it'd be fair to say Paragon, Celerity, Resolve, Adept, and Beastfoe are all candidates for the best skill in RD, besides mastery skills.

Edited by Reinfleche

Resolve doesn't make all chapters easy, it makes one character have a better survival rate.

to me better survival rate equals easier chapter

Beastfoe is like having Haar for those chapters (they're DB chapters). Haar is practically invincible anyways

yes, Beastfoe is good. but just these few chapters doesn't make it an awesome skill to me. (plus, they'll still kill you)

I was saying "why don't you use mounted units".

you were? ow, well I have my reasons, stated them in to many topics already.

Adept is actually more reliable than resolve, because you don't have to be low on HP to use it.

the whole reason for resolve is evading for me, you can handle low hp when evading everything. adept is entirely chance-based, resolve has a clear activation time.

I think it'd be fair to say Paragon, Celerity, Resolve, Adept, and Beastfoe are all candidates for the best skill in RD, besides mastery skills.

ordered:

1) resolve

2) paragon

3) adept

4) beastfoe

5) celerity

the five best skills of FE10.

Hmm I stand corrected. Resolve on Micaiah sounds nice. However, I'd be very nervous about getting any of my other characters down to 50% unless they have high HP and high def. I still have fond memories of a resolved Gatrie in Ch 28 of PoR carrying a laguz lance and OHKOing the dragons, though.

Paragon is still better though. Not liking paragon is like saying "No thanks, I don't want XP."

Oh and shame on you all for not even nominating Daunt to be among the best in game. It's not adept or paragon, but it's an extremely lightweight skill that helps MULTIPLE allies.

Daunt? that skill that makes evade and crit evade go up by only 5? IMO hardly useful at all.

Other way. Hit and crit for enemies go down by 5.

Other way. Hit and crit for enemies go down by 5.

even then, 5 isn't that much. from resolve you get way more.

did I mention my Micaiah once evaded a 99% hit attack (from the boss in chapter 1-9) using resolve? I know, personal experience etc. but even then, 99%!

Edited by whase

Well, remember, if you're dealing with ~40% hit rates the "5%" from Daunt is quite a bit more than it seems.

Since it's convenient for me, let me present my Nephenee. We'll pretend a certain enemy has a 40% chance to hit her, which is easy to picture. TH puts that at 32.4. The -5% from Daunt kicks that down to 35% - which is actually 24.8%. Around the 50s for hit, you can expect an actual loss of 8-10% in enemy hit - now, that isn't all that much extra, sure, but it's there. Add to it the fact that you drop 5% crit AND the fact that it triggers in support range (read: for 10 points on Rhys I can have Daunt proccing around Nephenee instead of spending the points on her), on all combats regardless of health instead of on one combatant at <50%.

Admittedly, the gains for Daunt drop to tremendously low numbers once you break 70/30%, since you'll be getting TH numbers of +- <5% then, but I still think it outclasses Resolve.

EDIT: Apparently I think TWICE the listed gain is "not all that much extra". Weird.

Edited by Integrity

I guess for some strategies Daunt may be a reasonable skill.

but like you said it is only five and is only good for hit rates between 70 and 30%. and of course it comes way later in the game (at a point any generic enemy hits with about 20% chance for me).

and don't forget, resolve doesn't only improve evading (even though it's the most important aspect for me). it also increases hit and crit (since those are calculated with speed/skill as well).

I find Daunt to be pretty useful for some units (SOREN) who would really benefit from that seemingly miniscule amount of decrease on the enemy's side. Besides, doesnt it work for everyone within three spaces of the unit with the skill?

IMO~

Paragon is useful for training units at a low level in order for them to be useful.

Celerity is great for a mage (AHEM Soren.) or someone with really low move.

Pass is ehhh. I really dont see much use for that. Just kill the guy in your way.

Adept is one of my favorite skills. Its great for someone with low strength or someone who has difficulty doubling.

Stun usually kills the target...unless youre Sigrun.

Beastfoe is very useful in only three chapters. Nonetheless, its good to have around.

Wrath....ehhh...

Resolve is pretty great. I think Mordy ended up with that this playthrough.

I guess for some strategies Daunt may be a reasonable skill.

but like you said it is only five and is only good for hit rates between 70 and 30%. and of course it comes way later in the game (at a point any generic enemy hits with about 20% chance for me).

and don't forget, resolve doesn't only improve evading (even though it's the most important aspect for me). it also increases hit and crit (since those are calculated with speed/skill as well).

Flipside of increasing crit too much is the Wrath downside - Edward is blocking a doorway for whatever reason, you need him to survive the turn, he gets thwacked to 30%, wrath activates and he crits with his Iron Sword, kills the dude he's blocking, leaving him wide open for another, and another, until his luck runs out.

Obviously with Resolve it's less prevalent due to increasing evade as well as hit/crit, but you still have to skirt the edge of comfort for it to activate, which hurts me down deep-like.

Anecdotally, I've lost too many PoR maps due to going "oh, it's alright, Nephenee will survive this round" then watching in horror as she gets hit, turns Wrath on, and chews three more enemies down before dying, because she won't. stop. critting. so I'm a little biased. :P

Edited by Integrity