FE4 Noob

Life

I've tried FE4 and I got stuck on Chapter 2. Then I lost my data and... yeah. But I'm willing to try it again. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1. What are the best/easiest pairings for me to make so that I don't have kids that suck? I'll experiment for myself once I beat the game at least once but I don't want to fuck it up for right now.

2. Father passes down weapons to son and Mother to daughter? Just checking.

3. Is there any way for me to change the save system to save after every castle or do I need to save it every turn? Because this annoyed me.

4. Do units auto promote in this game? I didn't get far enough to see if they did.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

08:36 PM' timestamp='1270010190' post='933598']

I've tried FE4 and I got stuck on Chapter 2. Then I lost my data and... yeah. But I'm willing to try it again. However, I do have a couple of questions.[/b]

1. What are the best/easiest pairings for me to make so that I don't have kids that suck? I'll experiment for myself once I beat the game at least once but I don't want to fuck it up for right now.

IraXLex

MidirXAideen

BriggidXHolyn/Dew/Jamka

FuryXSety

TiltyuXAzel

SylviaXClaude/Alec

lachesisXBeowolf

Reversed for Briggid and Ethlin

3. Is there any way for me to change the save system to save after every castle or do I need to save it every turn? Because this annoyed me.

You save at any time you want, but only at the beginning of the turn

4. Do units auto promote in this game? I didn't get far enough to see if they did.

No, they promote at level 20 at your castle when you want them to

Edited by mousefire

I've tried FE4 and I got stuck on Chapter 2. Then I lost my data and... yeah. But I'm willing to try it again. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1. The following:

Aideen x Midir

Bridggid x Alec/Beowulf/Azel/Holyn. The point of Azel is to give th Magic Swords if you don't feel like having her eat counter-attack (stealing money works from range too). Beowulf due to good growths and Pursuit. Holyn is for Moonlight and B rank swords but Patty the thief will require Pursuit Ring. Faval will only get high SKL growth out of that (Which isn't too bad for him). Alec for Pursuit.

Fury x Levin/Claude/Noish. Levin for Holsety on Sety, Claude is for a decent Sety and a Fee that can fight the Dark Mages later in the game more effectively (because others can't since some are only reachable by flying units and the other flying unit you'll have has crap for RES, plus higher staff rank for both). Noish is for the Skill set.

Tiltyu x Levin/Azel. Levin will boost Arthur by giving him Holsety (Arthur comes in chatper 6, Sety comes in chapter 8 so it's also earlier Holsety). Azel if you don't pair her with Levin for decent mages.

Ayra x Lex. Best Pairing, no question. High DEF, Elite for both kids so they grow fast and still combat maniacs.

Lachesis x Beowulf/Azel/Alec. Beowulf has Pursuit and best stats, Azel has MAG growth if you want the kids to use Magic Swords more effectively and Alec has Pursuit and alright stats.

Sylvia x Death/Claude. Death because the Dancer sub has Charisma and it's redundant to try and make the Lynn into anything other than just a Dancer without Charisma. Claude if you paired Fury with Levin and want that Valkyrie staff.

2. For the most part yes but there's some exceptions. Briggid passes her items to her son, Faval while the father pass his items to the daughter, Patty. Same goes for Leaf, he gets the Swords his mother had.

3. Don't think so, closest thing to that would be to just save manually.

4. They do at 20 and there's absolutely no reason to wait any later than that. Sigurd is already promoted, so is Cuan.

Edited by Speedwagon

Thanks guys. Couple of other questions.

1. Money. What's the best way of getting money? Arena or should I let Dew steal from just about everyone?

2. Trading items. Do I really have to sell the item and then buy it with another guy?

1. Money. What's the best way of getting money? Arena or should I let Dew steal from just about everyone?

2. Trading items. Do I really have to sell the item and then buy it with another guy?

1. Both. Personally I have Deu use the Light Sword to steal from a distance and the Thief Sword he gives Lachesis can help.

2. Yes.

1.) Definitely arena. If you can get Dew to actually do that, sure, but you'll be relying on the arena for most of your cash.

2.) Yup, it's even true for lovers. Probably the most annoying part of this entire game.

edit: dammit beaten

Edited by Gardenia's Tummy

use dew to steal from axes early on. After chapter 1 there's little but lance using enemies

arena is the best way to do it, but there are only 7 arena enemies for each character. They don't die after fighting, but are left with one health. defeating the enemy in it restores your health.

yes

I don't see a manual save... There's only auto-save in the Config menu.

Anyway, should I deploy all of my units on every map or leave behind Arden/Hannibal (in 2nd Gen) to guard the home base?

I don't see a manual save... There's only auto-save in the Config menu.

Anyway, should I deploy all of my units on every map or leave behind Arden/Hannibal (in 2nd Gen) to guard the home base?

The manual save option appears at the beginning of a turn when no unit has moved (as in, gray).

Deploy whatever reaches enemies for you. Try all units first and if you notice some of them being unable to touch an enemy, may as well just leave 'em in the castle. Oh and Ardan is indeed shit so leave him guarding the castle but do get the Pursuit Ring from Chapter 2 with him. Also, make sure to keep a Warp or Return staff user near Levin after conquering the Castle Beowful was working for since Fury's squad will fly towards your home castle (game over if it's taken).

Edited by Speedwagon

It took me 3 or so games to see that there's a way for a foot unit to walk into the mountains north of the starting castle in chapter 2.

You don't have to kill Sylvia to keep her from pairing, she just has a 0+3 love growth with everyone - meaning don't spend more than about 150 more turns in gen 1 after she joins (leaving a little safety room for leaving her adjacent to other units a few times). That's not difficult, there are at most about 130 legit turns left in gen 1 when she shows up.

It took me 3 or so games to see that there's a way for a foot unit to walk into the mountains north of the starting castle in chapter 2.

I noticed that on my second PT. If I can remember you can place a foot unit in the spot with the ballistae that spawn after seizing the second enemy castle before seizing the second enemy castle on that chapter.

I noticed that on my second PT. If I can remember you can place a foot unit in the spot with the ballistae that spawn after seizing the second enemy castle before seizing the second enemy castle on that chapter.

You can get up there before the first enemy castle is seized, but after the second there's a neutral yellow enemy blocking the path (you might be thinking of Lachesis' castle as an enemy castle). You can walk Dierdre up there, she's the only unit that has enough MR to resist the sleep staff to take out all 5 ballistas (but I'd prefer her to be spamming Warp instead).

You can get up there before the first enemy castle is seized, but after the second there's a neutral yellow enemy blocking the path (you might be thinking of Lachesis' castle as an enemy castle). You can walk Dierdre up there, she's the only unit that has enough MR to resist the sleep staff to take out all 5 ballistas (but I'd prefer her to be spamming Warp instead).

No, the second enemy castle I'm referring to is the third castle you run past by in the chapter.(Lachesis being first, first enemy castle being second, and so on)

And if I remember correctly, Diedre may have to take a hit from one of the ballistae at least once. I can't remember the stats of the ballistae but keep in mind she is frail and I know those ballistae will definitely 2HKO her in the normal FE4.

I mean at the very beginning of the chapter there's no unit blocking it, then after you take the first enemy castle an impassable neutral enemy appears there (it turns hostile after the second castle is seized).

She can be in the blind spot of 4 of the 5 ballista when they appear, which means she has to either OHKO 38 HP 0 resist(meaning she needs the magic ring or a few levels) or tank 2 17 damage 65ish hit attacks (which also needs a few levels from her base to be safe).

Edit - D'oh, actually you can only blind spot 3 of 5, so she needs to tank 2 hits AND 1HKO. Or, maybe if you stand in the spot one of the enemies will spawn in it just won't appear, in which case she could do it in complete safety at base level.

For an even weirder theoretical idea you could send Cuan up there, he can lance a ballista every turn and then canter back out of sleep staff range. Other mounted units need to promote before they can walk on mountain tiles (Sigurd is occupied obviously).

Edited by chrysalid

FuryXSety

Sweet :drool:

Though for pairings I'd say...

Aideen X Midir/Jamka. She can fall in love with either, just make sure that you give all the items in the non-lover's inventory to the lover. And make sure she falls in love by C4 for the Hero Bow.

Ayra X Lex/Holyn. Only go Holyn if you want Briggid X someone else though, so Lex is better. Just make sure to sell off his equipment, and to load up Ayra with swords so that Lakche can sell the swords to Skasaher.

Lachesis X Fin/Beowolf. Try to get Lachesis & Fin to stay adjacent for as much as 50 turns as possible. If they aren't in love by C3 turn 51, then make her fall in love with Beowolf.

Sylvia X Claude. However, only do this pairing if Sylvia gets to buy the Knight and Leg ring in C5. Otherwise, kill her off, the replacements are actually pretty good.

Fury X Claude/Levin. Do Claude if you want Levin X Tiltyu, and Levin otherwise.

Tiltyu X Levin/Claude. If you'd rather get early Holsety and an eventual horse Holsety, then do this pairing. If you don't mind getting Holsety on C8 but with Holsety as retardedly powerful, go with Claude. Lex is tricky, but it can work as well (Wrath + Ambush)

Briggid X Holyn/Dew. Dew gets Sun Sword for Patty, Holyn gets B Swords + Luna for Patty. Briggid gives everything to Faval, so that's okay. Holyn makes Faval have rediculous HP, at least.

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

Is LachesisxFin even possible? I'm looking at the Love growths and it says that I need 500+ to make them fall in love and sitting them beside each other is 5 points a turn. If I do that for chapter 2 and 3, I get 500 exactly. But if I fuck up about 10 turns (AKA the first 10 turns it takes to save Nodion in C2), then will I even make the cut? Or is the +2 love growth added to the 5 points for standing beside each other?

Is LachesisxFin even possible? I'm looking at the Love growths and it says that I need 500+ to make them fall in love and sitting them beside each other is 5 points a turn. If I do that for chapter 2 and 3, I get 500 exactly. But if I fuck up about 10 turns (AKA the first 10 turns it takes to save Nodion in C2), then will I even make the cut? Or is the +2 love growth added to the 5 points for standing beside each other?

the +2 is added to the +5. LachesisXFinn is only about the same as LachesisXBeowolf. They get more luck, prayer, and Nanna has a conversation with older Fin to gain +5 speed, but the pairing has no inheritance for Delmud. Beowolf's really easy to make, gives swords to Delmud, but it has charge instead of prayer and inheritance.

Edited by mousefire

OK, another question. If I have a unit lose in the arena, would it be possible to just sit them in their home base for a turn so that they gain back their HP or do I need to heal them (church or staff)?

Yeah, they automatically gain back HP each turn while in the castle.

These are probably the fastest and most effective pairings that you can make:

Ayra x Lex

Aideen x Midir

Lachesis x Beowulf

Fury x Levin

Sylvia x Claude or Nobody

Tiltyu x Azel

Brigid x Holyn or Jamka

Brigid doesn't have many fast pairings, and choosing Jamka means that Patty will suck horribly. Holyn will give Patty B Swords and Lunar to make her offence better. You could also use Alec or Fin to pass down Pursuit to Patty, but it doesn't give as much of an improvement as Holyn would. Lex is also pretty viable, Elite and Ambush help a lot when training Patty as Ambush allows her to spam Sleep Sword easily.

The rest of the pairings are the fastest pairings that each character can get, and they produce great children as well.

Briggid X Holyn/Dew. Dew gets Sun Sword for Patty, Holyn gets B Swords + Luna for Patty. Briggid gives everything to Faval, so that's okay. Holyn makes Faval have rediculous HP, at least.

Nobody would give a crap about Patty in a "first playthrough". Making a godly Faval is more important.

Do the following:

Aideen x Midir or Jamka(Pursuit Ring if you use Jamka)

Aira x Holyn or Noish

Lachesis x Beowulf/Alec/Azel/

Sylvia x who the hell cares

Fury x Levin

Tiltyu x Azel

Brigid x Jamka or Dew

Cuan passes down his stuff to Altenna, so he shouldn't have anything but the GaeBolg once you're done with Chapter 3.

I mean at the very beginning of the chapter there's no unit blocking it, then after you take the first enemy castle an impassable neutral enemy appears there (it turns hostile after the second castle is seized).

She can be in the blind spot of 4 of the 5 ballista when they appear, which means she has to either OHKO 38 HP 0 resist(meaning she needs the magic ring or a few levels) or tank 2 17 damage 65ish hit attacks (which also needs a few levels from her base to be safe).

Edit - D'oh, actually you can only blind spot 3 of 5, so she needs to tank 2 hits AND 1HKO. Or, maybe if you stand in the spot one of the enemies will spawn in it just won't appear, in which case she could do it in complete safety at base level.

For an even weirder theoretical idea you could send Cuan up there, he can lance a ballista every turn and then canter back out of sleep staff range. Other mounted units need to promote before they can walk on mountain tiles (Sigurd is occupied obviously).

You can kill one of the ballistae with a 2-range that can attack over the cliff, but that's totally pointless as Sigurd can simply just kill Clement in two shots if he has 17 or more strength and is equipped with the Silver Sword.

Edited by Al Davis?

Tiltyu X Levin/Claude. If you'd rather get early Holsety and an eventual horse Holsety, then do this pairing. If you don't mind getting Holsety on C8 but with Holsety as retardedly powerful, go with Claude. Lex is tricky, but it can work as well (Wrath + Ambush)

No Pursuit for Arthur and Tinny and only a +1 to Tinny's Staff rank does not make up for it.

I'm more for:

Aideen x Jamka

Ira x Dew

Lachesis x Beowulf

Sylvia x No one/Claude

Fury x Levin

Tiltyu x Azel

Brigid x Holyn

Holyn can get the Thunder sword, B rank swords, and Lunar Sword for Patty, so she might actually be able to do some damage and get through the arenas with that, and Dew gives the kids Bargain, and Shakasher the Wind sword unless you give it to someone else.

Jamka doesn't give the kids Pursuit, but Lester'll have the Hero bow anyway, and Rana shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Beowulf gives Nanna some more strength, and Azel'll give the kids more magic with his Fala, as opposed to more speed.

Jamka doesn't give the kids Pursuit, but Lester'll have the Hero bow anyway, and Rana shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

The same is true for Lester as the son of Midir/Midale and with Pursuit thrown in, he can kill stuff. Consistently doing 4 attacks >>>>> 2 and occasionally 4.

Edited by Speedwagon