Freaking ACTs

Percivalé

I know those tests shouldn't scare the shit out of me, but they do

We're finally done with them; I hope my scores are satisfactory to me~

yesterday was almost physically tiring, I'm the slowest test taker ever and thinking that hard for five hours straight hurts

BIZZ DISLIKES TIMED TESTS :C.

Edited by Bizz

They aren't that bad. The only thing I hate is that you can't move on to another section after you complete one so you're forced to wait for the remainder of the time to pass before you are allowed to continue...

Edited by Ein Silver Rose

I took my first ACT in June last summer, and my school did ACT's in February, so I'm officially done with them. I was really nervous too, but I did waaay better than I thought I would the first time. And the second time, I did much better than I suspected. I did do badly on the writing portion both times, though.

But it was odd the second time that I got a perfect score in my least favorite subject, and my lowest score was in science, my favorite subject...

I remember being told my ACT score was exceptional.

I also remember being like "wtf is the ACT?" even after taking it, and that I drew a bunch of copyrighted symbols relating to McDonald's in the margin around the essay I ended the test with that explained how that particular fast food chain was a rising communist power.

I remember getting like an 1830 on the SAT and being told that was bad, only to flat out not give a shit.

Standardized tests ftlol.

what are ACTs?

Like Fayt said, they're standardized tests. They're comprised of a English, Reading, Science, and Math section, as well as an optional Writing portion. Each of the four main sections are given a score out of 36, and your overall score is given out of 36 as well. If you choose to take the Writing portion, it is given a score out of 12, separate from your composite score. The average composite is supposed to be 18, but in 2009 the average was slightly above 21.

SATs are easier. Just maths, Englishes, and writings.

I disagree with that assessment, actually. The SAT is designed (supposedly) to measure general knowledge while the ACT is supposed to measure what you (should have) learned in high school. And the science part is probably the easiest part of the whole test if you know what you're doing.

SATs are easier. Just maths, Englishes, and writings.

Why does Firefox recognize Englishes as a word?

Based on what I observed on the practice tests for the two, ACT has easier English, and MUCH harder math! Then again, me and math don't agree that well.

Based on what I observed on the practice tests for the two, ACT has easier English, and MUCH harder math! Then again, me and math don't agree that well.

'Course, Math and I get along REAL well, so maybe that's why I prefer the ACT?

Or preferred might be the better term, since I don't have to take either of them ever again.

Edited by Fayt Zelpher

I haven't taken the SAT, but the ACT science portion seems evil to me. I've never gotten more than a 29 on it, and it's been my lowest score both times. I always run out of time. And science is my best subject in school. I've taken and gotten A's in AP Biology, Chemistry 1, and Chemistry 2 this year, and I've aced all of my earlier science classes too. The ACT science is just about reading graphs; there's no science involved.

I haven't taken the SAT, but the ACT science portion seems evil to me. I've never gotten more than a 29 on it, and it's been my lowest score both times. I always run out of time. And science is my best subject in school. I've taken and gotten A's in AP Biology, Chemistry 1, and Chemistry 2 this year, and I've aced all of my earlier science classes too. The ACT science is just about reading graphs; there's no science involved.

That's true...

The fact that I got a 36 on that section and a lot of money because of it is influencing my reasoning here.

That's true...

The fact that I got a 36 on that section and a lot of money because of it is influencing my reasoning here.

Niiice!!!

The only thing I managed a 36 on was the English section (excluding the Writing).

You guys are making me feel dumb ; ;

I'm hoping on getting at least a 34 on the English

I'm sorry Bizz... I hope you'll forgive me... :(

It's okay. It's just my inferiority complex acting up again.

Anyhow, the science was easy, just fyi; except for the very last part, it wasn't too overwhelming. Though everyone else found it to be...

Don't feel bad, Bizz. I got a 33 overall, so it's not like I got 36's on every section. In fact, I got a 7/12 on the Writing... though I thought my essay was a little better than that.

Don't feel bad, Bizz. I got a 33 overall, so it's not like I got 36's on every section. In fact, I got a 7/12 on the Writing... though I thought my essay was a little better than that.

All they care about is rhetorical flourishes and using high-level words. I only got a 4/6 on the SAT writing and a 3.5/6 on the GRE writing. But I don't game the system like 'the man' wants you to either.

And I'm pretty sure my professors would agree that I'm a decent writer, to be honest.