An idea for a future Fire Emblem?

IGdood

Hi guys, so over the past few days I had this pretty big idea about Fire Emblem.

So, perhaps in some installment in the far future, Fire Emblem would allow you to play in the perspective of different lords from different countries. There would be a set amount of chapters for each country’s campaign, but the player would be offered choices as to where to go/attack/progress the story. If you’ve played the total war series or something like Dark Crusade, you’ll know what I’m talking about. You can still recruit characters, buy stuff from vendors, armories, etc.

Choosing different paths could lead to different playthroughs, for example you can choose to recruit fast-attack myrmidons/peg knight characters first instead of the fighter/pirate characters. Of course, as you progress later on you’d have every class on the team to face the Big Baddie or if you’re evil, every minion to beat up the goodie-two-shoes with.

Also, each country’s job classes would have their own sprites/graphics. I mean, they’d all share the cavalier, mercenary, archer classes, but each country’s classes would have a different look.

Say there are three countries, A, B, and C.

Then Country A’s paladins would look like this : http://totalwar.honga.net/images/medieval2/m2tw/unit_info/hre/gothic_knights_info.png

Country B’s paladins would look like this:

http://totalwar.honga.net/images/medieval2/m2tw/unit_info/mongols/mongol_heavy_lancers_info.png

Country C’s paladins would look like this:

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/533/533806/rome-total-war-20040727114614815.jpg

I mean, they’d still be using axes, lances, swords, perhaps even have identical class growths. They’d just look different. I think this would help in the immersion. I don’t think it deviates from the mechanics of FE.

So what do you guys think? I’m just throwing this thought on the forums since the other day I saw a thread where someone asked what could make Fire Emblem become more popular in the mainstream.

So, perhaps in some installment in the far future, Fire Emblem would allow you to play in the perspective of different lords from different countries. There would be a set amount of chapters for each countrys campaign, but the player would be offered choices as to where to go/attack/progress the story.

This sounds suspiciously like what happens in Radiant Dawn to me...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

This sounds suspiciously like what happens in Radiant Dawn to me...

Well...the story was still pretty linear for Radiant Dawn. Yes, you were offered the choice of who killed Pelleas and whether or not you wanted the laguz kings helping you in the endgame.

I was wondering if there was some freedom of movement like in Sacred Stones and getting different perspectives like in Radiant Dawn. Except you can choose not to switch sides.

What kind of gameplay features would we like to see? Personally, I would like to combine the branching promotions from Sacred Stones with the Third Tiers from Radiant Dawn. That would give a good amount of customization. Also, maybe instead of giving us completely random level ups, there should be a fixed mode like in Path of Radiance. The skill system should also be retained.

Yes, more customization to raise our group of battle-hardened soldiers. Not to mention an optional casual mode would make Fire Emblem a bit more friendly to new players. More players = more profit = more funds for future Fire Emblems.

This might not go well with some people, but I would also like the choice to be evil. Not necessarily Nergal/Zephiel/Demon King evil, but for those who have played Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect you get to be a bit more....brutal with your choices. Such as, to secure a really good character's loyalty, you can choose to sacrifice the chance to save innocent civilians and such. You know, choosing between one's morals and extra treasure/weaponry to fight your enemies.

Not to mention, I kind of wish for generic characters to have a bigger impact. Not that they'd take over the story, but then maybe in some chapters there are some generics who listen to you (Radiant Dawn) and some who perform particularly outstanding can be given the option of becoming a named character with a custom look and possibly growths (3-13 Archer + My Unit). I'm not sure how that would bode with the story, perhaps there would be script for a custom unit and such, it would be better explained with the My Unit in New Mystery. A set script, but the character is completely customizable.

Here's some more ideas:

-Use Radiant Dawn's game engine, but of course with better graphics and some following changes to the classes:

-Warriors and Reavers can use normal Bows

-Bring back BERSERKERS, add a third tier to them as well (Berserkers will still be locked into axes)

-Raise the Spd caps of Arch Sages to 33 at least, Gold and Silver Knights should be able to get at least 35 Spd

-Instead of automatically giving characters Occult skills at third tier, make them use an Occult Scroll like in PoR

-Have Mage Fighting classes like in FE5, and magic weapons for the other classes as well.

-I've never actually played FE5, but the Capturing system sounds like fun. Fatigue system might be interesting, maybe it can be optional like Casual mode in New Mystery

These all sound like interesting ideas to me!

I'm not one to really come up with ideas myself but I can say, however, that in strategy games such as FE more customization = personal preference = personal tactics = more variety, which should mean more of a fanbase, correct?

Of course, you wouldn't want to overload with features like slamming a new FE with tons & tons of new stuff/old & dropped stuff because that may not bode so well & create more deviation rather than draw to the series

Personally, I would be happy with any new Fire Emblem (NEW, not a remake, although the remake in the works seems nice :3) as long as it doesn't have the giant as hell maps from FE4 (if that's your thing, good for you, but I prefer more chapters as to a map big enough to be split into 3 or 4 individual chapters)

I'm not one to really come up with ideas myself but I can say, however, that in strategy games such as FE more customization = personal preference = personal tactics = more variety, which should mean more of a fanbase, correct?

Of course, you wouldn't want to overload with features like slamming a new FE with tons & tons of new stuff/old & dropped stuff because that may not bode so well & create more deviation rather than draw to the series

Personally, I would be happy with any new Fire Emblem (NEW, not a remake, although the remake in the works seems nice :3) as long as it doesn't have the giant as hell maps from FE4 (if that's your thing, good for you, but I prefer more chapters as to a map big enough to be split into 3 or 4 individual chapters)

what would be wrong with huge maps? as long as RD saving option is there, I'd love it. But map animations should be faster, and you should be able to skip the entire enemy phase (as in AI calculating and setting it to after enemy turn). (also, I didn't play FE4)

The "RD saving option" is not even in RD HM.

I know, and they could still keep it like that. it is supposed to be hard.

(and I never play RD HM anyways, I only play HM for FE8)

Hmm...nice suggestions. =)

I also want more mission objectives, I think right now we have things such as...

Kill Boss

Defend Civilians

Destroy All Enemies

Survive for x amount of turns.

Seize

It'd also be nice if there were things that link multiple objectives together, such as

Take and Hold: Break through into some lighted tile/area and hold the area for x amount of turns.

Assassinate: Kill a target/boss, then get forces out of an area by exiting through some special tiles.. (I think we had that in FE 9)

Grab the Package: There's an item in some chest on the battlefield. Retrieve and win.

Sneak: Remain undetected by the enemy through fog-of-war/staying close to some spellcaster or whatever, then give them a massacre when you've reached your objective.

Play The Dummies: Bait two factions to fight each other, then hide. When they're done wearing each other out, mop up with your own force. (So that would mean you're the third faction)

I suggest what I games ago, waiting for a new... one of them, at least.

Allow the game to track your movements and kills per chapter and allow playback, if desired, of the entire map in real-time. No bars, menus: just all of the movements and the battle. It'd actually be pretty nifty to include. And damning to see that hour you put into a map turn into about five minutes of movement.

But so awesome. Shouldn't be too hard. And it wouldn't be just the same grid-based turn-based movement. It'd be all dynamic and to the touch. Ah, if only they had the old battle overworld sprite animations... those were sexy as fuck~

I completely agree with you. I like Radiant Dawn -even the graphics, which although lackluster compared to other console games of this millenium, are great as is- and would have just added some more personal supports in it (PoR's support system was good with Chp over turn points). Here are some things I'd like to see:

•A Save Staff (around 40 uses) or a limited Save Galdr ("Salvo") over the RD abuse-potential one - that way you can strategize on the right time to use it. In Hard/Maniac modes, they could just half the uses.

•An Arena Tower - Like the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins but charging you a sum of money in the entrance that would be recovered with the weapons/items found inside. If you retreat, you still get to keep the EXP/items, but you would skip on the chest/last boss weapon in the end.

•More objectives - Like skitarii said. An example would be Rout certain enemies: 2 enemy armies are mixed up and coming at you, but you have to defeat all of army A, while trying to maintain as many of B alive for a reward (you lose if all of B are dead). Sleep/silence would come in handy here.

•Less broken DS-Forging/WiFi battles - maybe have some battles like in AW2 where you can play a customizable pre-selected-unit battle (have some units out and a castle where you can buy the services of a cavalier/mercenary/mage/other).

•Gender exceptions - some female fighters with axes, Str/Def caps comparable to male ones and good Con, & some male non-magical units with non-mediocre Mag and spell-related skills.

•Skills - I like Radiant Dawn's system of takeout, learn and transfer, and Occult skills being automatic, but maybe have something like trade an Occult skill (which can never be regained) for a then non-learnable skill determined by class (like +10% Crit, Savior, ability to use Cards/Knives, etc).

•Replay Value - make you want to replay for different characters/paths/enemy types/hard-to-get conversation with a special weapon for reward.

And now for something completely different...

I've been thinking about ways to adjust the map mechanics that could improve mobility and formation options yet still retain FE's distinct tactics. To accomplish this, I've determined that any and all polygonal grids be scrapped, as all have drawbacks to mobility:

--Triangles: They don't allow you to move in a straight path.

--Squares: Too inflexible beyond cardinal phalanxing. Plus, you have to consider how "moving one space" is defined, which affects diagonal mobility.

--Hexagons: Flexible formations, but true phalanx is impossible. Plus, two cardinal directions are sacrificed depending on grid orientation.

Anyway, with the grids gone, how do we maintain any form of order on the map?

I introduce to you a circle system that involves both movement and formation:

1) Movement will consist of rings spaced in equal increments. The greater a unit's movement, the greater the amount of rings. The unit will be able to move the same distance in any direction, including diagonally. For terrain that restricts movement, the rings will get closer together, representing movement cost.

2) The core of formation mechanics is a circle marking a unit's personal space. Said circle will consist of marked segments (eight would be a good number) that mark an adjacency which an enemy unit would be able to attack you. This could be limited by placing units next to each other, making sure the circles touch. Touching segments will guard both the touching and adjacent segments, prohibiting an enemy from attacking from that direction. Touching connections will guard the segments connected, trading protection for flexibility. Attacks work the same way, which means you wouldn't have to worry about eight enemies getting in your ally's grill (though you wouldn't be able to do it to the enemy, either).

This system could encourage creativity in map design, formations, and perhaps even a new class or two. However, handling ranged attacks (bows, magic, ballistae) would need to be worked out; I can only imagine the madness of a lone unit surrounded by 8-10 archers.

Does anyone happen to know of any game that uses a movement and/or formation mechanic similar to the above?

Edited by x14113

They should make a remake of fe6-7 and make it one game and bring back fe4s love system

Only if the game allows me to make a godly unit off of Lucius x Serra. . .or Priscilla x Heath.

And now for something completely different...

I've been thinking about ways to adjust the map mechanics that could improve mobility and formation options yet still retain FE's distinct tactics. To accomplish this, I've determined that any and all polygonal grids be scrapped, as all have drawbacks to mobility:

--Triangles: They don't allow you to move in a straight path.

--Squares: Too inflexible beyond cardinal phalanxing. Plus, you have to consider how "moving one space" is defined, which affects diagonal mobility.

--Hexagons: Flexible formations, but true phalanx is impossible. Plus, two cardinal directions are sacrificed depending on grid orientation.

Anyway, with the grids gone, how do we maintain any form of order on the map?

I introduce to you a circle system that involves both movement and formation:

1) Movement will consist of rings spaced in equal increments. The greater a unit's movement, the greater the amount of rings. The unit will be able to move the same distance in any direction, including diagonally. For terrain that restricts movement, the rings will get closer together, representing movement cost.

2) The core of formation mechanics is a circle marking a unit's personal space. Said circle will consist of marked segments (eight would be a good number) that mark an adjacency which an enemy unit would be able to attack you. This could be limited by placing units next to each other, making sure the circles touch. Touching segments will guard both the touching and adjacent segments, prohibiting an enemy from attacking from that direction. Touching connections will guard the segments connected, trading protection for flexibility. Attacks work the same way, which means you wouldn't have to worry about eight enemies getting in your ally's grill (though you wouldn't be able to do it to the enemy, either).

This system could encourage creativity in map design, formations, and perhaps even a new class or two. However, handling ranged attacks (bows, magic, ballistae) would need to be worked out; I can only imagine the madness of a lone unit surrounded by 8-10 archers.

Does anyone happen to know of any game that uses a movement and/or formation mechanic similar to the above?

Uhh.....usually this type of movement is reserved for real-time strategy games.

The closest thing that is turnbased that uses a similar movement system would be the newer total war series. Armies can move in a certain range on the map that's more-or-less circular but is blocked/slowed down by terrain. Every army exerts a very small red zone in its vicinity known as the Zone of Control. Which means, if an enemy army enters it a battle could be initiated or else it cannot move for the remainder of the turn. Allied armies in the zone of control will be able to send reinforcements of a neighbor is being attacked.

When promoting, instead of resetting your level to 1, just continue on to level 40 (or 60 if we're doing third tiers). Fire Emblem 4 did the same thing, but you could only go up to level 30.