Best/Worst in the Series: Round 48 (Take Two!)

NinjaMonkey

You just had to take this out of context, didn't you? There's no reason to use the slim sword. At all. Dark magic is heavy and has bad accuracy. Its users are generally slow and/or inaccurate. Longbows in most FE games are weaker than iron bows. RD's longbows in particular can't even be used for their intended purpose since they lose accuracy when used to attack at 3 range (and their accuracy is bad enough even without the penalty). Besides, I'd rather NOT get screwed out of a one-round when I want to one-round because the unit in question missed.

Uplifting Fire Emblem Inspirational Saying of the Day

Better to have a chance to 1-round and fail than to have no chance of 1-rounding at all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uplifting Fire Emblem Inspirational Saying of the Day

Better to have a chance to 1-round and fail than to have no chance of 1-rounding at all.

As I tend to play defensively, it's not the end of the world if I don't one-round. In fact, sometimes offensive playing can get punished *cough3-6and3-13hack*. In that case, I'd rather 3HKO than 2HKO (and this applies to holding chokepoints as well, unless the guarder is taking negligible damage) and let them attack first so I can one-hit them on player phase, saving my unit some unnecessary damage.

As I tend to play defensively, it's not the end of the world if I don't one-round. In fact, sometimes offensive playing can get punished *cough3-6and3-13hack*. In that case, I'd rather 3HKO than 2HKO (and this applies to holding chokepoints as well, unless the guarder is taking negligible damage) and let them attack first so I can one-hit them on player phase, saving my unit some unnecessary damage.

Except that the Hammer OHKOes. So you can leave your MC Hammer in range of the Generals, they charge in and die mostly, and then your character can go off and do something else rather than use their player phase mopping up what they couldn't digest on enemy phase. What's more, if MC Hammer strikes on player phase, he can avoid a counter, and if he doubles, he can avoid getting attacked on enemy phase since he has two chances to OHKO.

(And since this is NM we're talking about, OHKOing is practically guaranteed.)

I suppose if this is a situation like FE9 Chapter 8 or something, where you have like, a narrow corridor with lots of Knights, you might want to slow down on the killing to avoid getting swamped. But the same logic could be applied to any powerful weapon, that there's a risk you'll get attacked too much and get overwhelmed. Unless you tiptoe through the game with Bronze weapons, I think it's unavoidable. And you could always use the Hammer and then trade it down if you're worried.

Edited by Slowking

Except that the Hammer OHKOes. So you can leave your MC Hammer in range of the Generals, they charge in and die mostly, and then your character can go off and do something else rather than use their player phase mopping up what they couldn't digest on enemy phase. What's more, if MC Hammer strikes on player phase, he can avoid a counter, and if he doubles, he can avoid getting attacked on enemy phase since he has two chances to OHKO.

(And since this is NM we're talking about, OHKOing is practically guaranteed.)

I suppose if this is a situation like FE9 Chapter 8 or something, where you have like, a narrow corridor with lots of Knights, you might want to slow down on the killing to avoid getting swamped. But the same logic could be applied to any powerful weapon, that there's a risk you'll get attacked too much and get overwhelmed. Unless you tiptoe through the game with Bronze weapons, I think it's unavoidable. And you could always use the Hammer and then trade it down if you're worried.

Most of what you say is true, but considering that the hammer has 60 hit, that means potentially being at the mercy of biorhythm. Also, I wouldn't go so far as to use mainly bronze weapons. At any rate, I see where you're coming from with the whole part about getting overwhelmed. If the guarder's taking next to no damage, however, I'm inclined to not care. (That is, unless a mage comes along.) (I haven't even played RD since who knows when, but that's irrelevant.)

Edited by Ein Lanford

Wait, so Slim swords are better with their awesome three might?

WTH? I'm not seeing how Slim Swords are better with their lousy 3 Mt.

I've heard they were really good (or at least pretty good) in FE4, and possibly 5 and 3. Iron swords are rubbish, have always been rubbish and the only way they'll change is to become steadily more rubbish.

Lancereavers for best is a far more fucked up choice :Cord:

I've heard they were really good (or at least pretty good) in FE4, and possibly 5 and 3. Iron swords are rubbish, have always been rubbish and the only way they'll change is to become steadily more rubbish.

Lancereavers for best is a far more fucked up choice :Cord:

And Slim Swords are even more rubbish, so what's your point? :rolleyes: BTW, FE4 was the *only* game that slim swords were any good in, and that's just sad, sad, SAD.

BTW, FE4 was the *only* game that slim swords were any good in, and that's just sad, sad, SAD.

Right. And Iron Swords have ALWAYS been rubbish. That, my friend, is sad, sad, SAD.

Edited by Yossarian

Right. And Iron Swords have ALWAYS been rubbish. That, my friend, is sad, sad, SAD.

In what universe? The one where power is all that matters? I highly doubt you can even think of any real excuses to use a Slim Sword over an Iron Sword in the GBA games or FE9.

Edited by Ein Lanford

What about the obtuse sword in FE12. Its' far worse than the iron or slim sword as it only has 1 might. Might as well call it the suicide sword on Lunatic mode.

You can't? My mistake. I'll change my vote then.

Best: aircalibur(FE6)

worst: Broken sword(fe4 and 5. It cant't be bought at the shop, but you do have access to an unlimited supply)

Edited by Sophius

What I'm wondering is how are durable and cheap (read: iron) swords "rubbish?" Personally, I'd rather use those rather than use a sword that is just as durable as a steel sword but is weaker than an iron sword. The extra accuracy, less weight and 5% crit rate is not worth the trade off for steel sword durability and the 3 Mt.

I'd have to say that Iron Swords were in their worst in FE4, though. But that means just as much as slim swords being good in FE4 to me. (Besides, the main reason that was the case was because of the base Mt of the two weapons.)

Edited by LittleAl

What I'm wondering is how are durable and cheap (read: iron) swords "rubbish?" Personally, I'd rather use those rather than use a sword that is just as durable as a steel sword but is weaker than an iron sword. The extra accuracy, less weight and 5% crit rate is not worth the trade off for steel sword durability.

I'd have to say that Iron Swords were in their worst in FE4, though. But that means just as much as slim swords being good in FE4 to me. (Besides, the main reason that was the case was because of the base Mt of the two weapons.)

Not to mention that Slim Swords were more expensive than Iron Swords.

Or if the RKO rate is the same/killing said enemy is important to protect Rhys/Mist or to save a turn. :/. It deals more damage to generals, than say, Mia.

How is that not what I said? Shinon and his 2 range lock should probably not be attacking the same unit twice ever (barring herons, which isn't relevant in 3-P and 3-1). So the RKO rate is determined by his damage + other unit's damage. If it dies regardless of killer or steel, then obviously Shinon can pick up the killer for a chance at a ORKO and if he procs then the other unit might be able to do something else.

As for when killing an enemy is important to protect Rhys/Mist, I'd have to say that if you need a 50 to 60% chance to kill something with Shinon in order for your strategy to not result in a death then it is a bad strategy.

The only thing you are left with is "save a turn" and what I already mentioned. The question is "does rolling the dice to save a turn potentially cost you a turn/death on a bad roll". Which is another thing I addressed.

If failing to crit puts you in a worse position than if you had simply used the steel bow in the first place, you should use the steel bow regardless of what advantage the killer bow may give you on a crit since the cost of failure is too high.

If failing to crit does not put you in a worse position than if you had simply used the steel bow in the first place, you should use the killer bow for that chance that something helpful happens (your lot can only improve, not worsen).

As for Generals, steel bow Shinon deals more damage to generals than killer bow Shinon. At least, whenever you don't crit. Killer bow in comparison to Mia isn't relevant, because Shinon doesn't suddenly become Mia if he chooses not to use the killer bow. If he chooses not to use the killer bow, he becomes a guy with 2 more mt, not 2 or 3 less mt.

I think FE4 weapons shouldn't be counted, seeing as they're not exactly, "Unlimited"

In what way? I haven't played FE4 myself, so I'm not sure what you mean. Even if you can repair legendary weapons, you still can't 'buy' them, so they still wouldn't count, and generic enemies never appear with them either.

(incidentally, I brought up the 'must be buyable' clause purely because of the generic Sniper with a Double Bow in FE10)

In what way? I haven't played FE4 myself, so I'm not sure what you mean. Even if you can repair legendary weapons, you still can't 'buy' them, so they still wouldn't count, and generic enemies never appear with them either.

(incidentally, I brought up the 'must be buyable' clause purely because of the generic Sniper with a Double Bow in FE10)

:awesome: at the bold.

Though I can't really think of many other situations beside that one (all I can think of is the generic Druid with Gespenst in FE7).

Buyable from shops.

They aren't unlimited.

There's a Slim Sword in the shop, you buy it, but you can't buy an "Unlimited" Amount. FE4 works that you have a set amount of weapons for you, but you have to constantly repair them when they break down. Though you pay for these, I wouldn't put it down exactly as "Buying from a shop", like here:

2) Buyable in shops, so you can have an infinite number.

That's not true you know. They've always been average, but never bad. They are always available and have great Hit and decent Mt.

The only considerable thing Slim Swords have to afford would be more unnecesary Hitm and it's Mt what they want.

Edited by The leaving song II

I think as long as you can actually buy them, even if you can't buy a limitless number it's fine. I mean, what other weapons are there that you can buy only a limited about of? Aside from Shadow Dragon Rapier/Wing Spear, which don't show up in the hands of hoi polloi anyway, I don't think there are any weird problematic items.

Speaking of Shadow Dragon, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ridersbane.

Ridersbane/Knight Killer has always had its uses, actually. The only real bad one was the FE4 one, and since you can only get one of them (as Michalis pointed out) there's no real way to include it on here.

Best Weapon: Killing Edge. Steel Swords with a Critical Hit Rate, there's always a reason I stock up on a boatload of these.

Worst Weapon: Slim Sword. Outside of FE4, name one time a Slim is useful at all. Seriously, at all.

Edited by Chainy

Worst Weapon: Slim Sword. Outside of FE4, name one time a Slim is useful at all. Seriously, at all.

Already been stated. Taking advantage of a bug/glitch/whatever in the japanese version of fe9 to get auto-crits.

That's not true you know. They've always been average, but never bad. They are always available and have great Hit and decent Mt.

That's exactly what Myrmidons with 12 base skill need, is hit. I'm sure their 11 might will break through all foes.

Let's face it, if you're going to use a rubbish weapon, take a rubbish weapon with like 5% more chance of a kill.

Edited by Yossarian