Lunatic Mode Guide

Draco!Arran cannot 1RKO the lower archer.

Use a silver lance.

EDIT: My Arran had procced a spd the previous chapter, so that might be it. If that is it, then the strategy might not work in general after all.

Edited by cheetah7071

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what I've seen, you can just Rescue staff someone over to help out over there, since it's fairly difficult to keep 4 units alive on the other end of the map.

Better to pop a rescue staff on Marth. Besides he needs to visit that village anyways to recruit Castor who comes with a Killer Bow which comes in handy for that portion of the chapter and then proceed to have a couple of fliers fly towards their group as they'll manage to pull a few bandits as well.

Use a silver lance.

EDIT: My Arran had procced a spd the previous chapter, so that might be it. If that is it, then the strategy might not work in general after all.

Yeah it's his speed that's the issue. You probably just got lucky with Arran's speed growth because he could not double the archer for me as a Draco.

My strategy is 100% safe. You do not seem to have realized that enemies will never expressly prioritize ganging up for a kill.

Oh, right. So when someone comes up with a superior strategy, you are content to mount your tactical high horse and ignore it, or possibly use it for your own benefit. It seems like that the only author that you want in your guide is mjemirzian, so that FE scrubs everywhere will regard you as their idol.

I actually have noticed that before, but I wasn't sure on the specifics of why the AI does it. It seems to be unusual behavior because from what I can remember other FE AIs try to gang up as much as possible. It seems to be an unusually weak AI decision.

Efficiency or 'superior strategy' or tier lists are relative to the goals you set out for your playthrough. You could go for the fastest turn count using powerful units up front and have less total XP gained, or go for a slower turn count but more total XP gained. You could go for a playthrough that relies a lot on luck, or one that's very reliable (which again, tends to take more turns than a fast luck based run) - whether you think one is better than the other is a matter of opinion, because one persons player defined challenge isn't any more special than anothers. I set out my player defined challenge at the start of my guide, and I'm not going to make derogatory remarks about people who ignore it and go visit the wi-fi shop or unit trade or reload save spots a lot for luck or whatever. And you accuse me of being on a high horse. Ok.

Edited by mjemirzian

Huh, it looks like you actually have to train Draug, or else the Pirate strategy doesn't work in Ch2.

He has to gain either a Point if Def or HP to survive. =\

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to sacrifice someone.

EDIT: Figured a way around it.

You can have the Pirate and Palla switch spots, voila.

Edited by Michalis

I actually have noticed that before, but I wasn't sure on the specifics of why the AI does it. It seems to be unusual behavior because from what I can remember other FE AIs try to gang up as much as possible. It seems to be an unusually weak AI decision.

The AI in this game is somewhat wonky.

Efficiency or 'superior strategy' or tier lists are relative to the goals you set out for your playthrough. You could go for the fastest turn count using powerful units up front and have less total XP gained, or go for a slower turn count but more total XP gained. You could go for a playthrough that relies a lot on luck, or one that's very reliable (which again, tends to take more turns than a fast luck based run) - whether you think one is better than the other is a matter of opinion, because one persons player defined challenge isn't any more special than anothers. I set out my player defined challenge at the start of my guide, and I'm not going to make derogatory remarks about people who ignore it and go visit the wi-fi shop or unit trade or reload save spots a lot for luck or whatever.

tl;dr

I hope that your guide isn't like this.

EDIT: Figured a way around it.

You can have the Pirate and Palla switch spots, voila.

This makes sense, actually. I'm guessing you had Catria equip a 2 range weapon as well?

Also will add that when I get the chance, dondon.

Edited by Colonel M

I think dondon just isn't happy with this part of your guide mjemirzian:

"5. All strategies were formulated by myself, not by others also playing Lunatic mode."

Your strategy was somewhat built upon dondon and Colonel M's, so it is misleading to claim that all strategies were formulated by yourself when others had contributions as well.

Yeah, I did.

K, then that definitely explains it.

From what I recall with AI, they usually search for lack of 2 range first (if they have a 2 range option) or lack of 1 range before Def is applied. Can you snap me a screenshot of it too? That would be helpful.

From what I recall with AI, they usually search for lack of 2 range first (if they have a 2 range option) or lack of 1 range before Def is applied. Can you snap me a screenshot of it too? That would be helpful.

I don't think this is true. On 2 attempts of chapter 1, at the save point (where Arran has to face a Silver Axe and a Hand Axe and survive), the first Silver Axe bandit missed and Arran critkilled him. The Hand Axe bandit, instead of attacking Arran for free, decided to attack Gordin, who countered with Steel Bow for a hefty chunk of damage.

K, then that definitely explains it.

I'll try, I'll snap shots for both strategies, this post will be edited in a sec.

ForGuide.png

Done. I didn't end the player phase for the Pirate one since he wouldn't survive.

Edited by Michalis

Range doesn't always determine the AI. I remember in chapter 1 when I had MU(Archer) and Arran tag-team to kill the bandit to the left, my unit was in range of another bandit and he can't even counter melee but the bandit went for Arran who can 1RKO him instead.

I think if anything, the AI targets units they can crit first. I've noticed Arran being an enemy magnet just because he's generally the only unit that can get crit even if it's only a 1-2% chance and generally go for him instead of units with less def/HP or units that can't even counter.

Edited by Joey

Also, for chapter 3 you can also position your unit here to lure the cavaliers and notice how incredibly stupid the AI is in this picture as you can see:

SX-FE12_29_10391.png

lolwut

They didn't try to kill Julian. ._.

Edited by Michalis

lolwut

They didn't try to kill Julian. ._.

No, I did that after the enemy phase. I simply moved Julian in to recruit Matthis on this turn, hence the blue cavalier in between those other two. The one behind Matthis is a cavalier with a forged Javelin that could have finished Marth off if Matthis didn't run in first just to deal 1 damage to Marth(Well, that Marth at least).

No, I did that after the enemy phase. I simply moved Julian in to recruit Matthis on this turn, hence the blue cavalier in between those other two. The one behind Matthis is a cavalier with a forged Javelin that could have finished Marth off if Matthis didn't run in first just to deal 1 damage to Marth(Well, that Marth at least).

...............That explains a lot. Matthis saved Marth's life by attacking him. lol

I thought we already determined the AI to go for most damage (or percentage of HP, maybe) with little care for it's own safety. The only time the game checks to see if it can avoid damage is with people who only have 1-2 range (like mages).

Edited by nflchamp

I've had enemies attack MU (who has 5 Defense, the lowest on my team) over Feena (who has nearly 20 less HP, but 10 Defense). I've also had them attack Minerva (9 Defense as a Bishop) over Feena and seen Snipers suicide onto my own despite there being people with 1 range weapons equipped.

Which makes me think the priority goes

Kill > do more damage > take counter (?)

Edit: I also noticed that enemy Snipers like to attack Sirius (who they have a small amount of crit on due to his poor luck and lack of supports) over Caeda (who has capped Luck and a Marth/MU support) despite Caeda having less Defense. Perhaps it's potential damage?

Edited by Paperblade

OK CM, I've come up with a strategy on chapter 2 that involves only killing one of the DKs (though you'll want to kill the boss for his Steel Axe).

Do the beginning part as usual. Once you've cleared out all of the non-DK enemies, begin sending Marth and sniper Arran up the RHS, across the unforested area. Move Catria over to the LHS, under the attack range of the left-most DK. Make sure that Marth and Catria are healed to full HP. Everyone else retreats to the open area to the left of the starting position.

Move Catria into the bottom edge of the attack range of the left-most DK. On the same turn, move Marth 2 spaces into the edge of the attack range of the right-most DK (i.e. 13 spaces away from the gate with no terrain in between). Catria and Marth should both take a counter. On the subsequent turn, advance Marth as much as possible. KO the DK with Arran. Move Catria 8D and have Malliesia go in the space under her and use Mend. At this point, the chapter is as good as done - Marth should be completely safe and poised to seize the gate on the next turn.

Note that you can have Gordin + Warren weaken a couple of DKs on the last turn and kill them for some EXP.

I've only tested this over 2 attempts, and on both the DKs around the boss always made a beeline for Catria instead of Marth, even if Marth is closer. Again, this is likely because Catria is defensively weaker than Marth (less HP). Further testing should be done to make sure it is guaranteed.

Edited by dondon151