summary of new features in FE3 DS?

i haven't been able to find much detail in terms of a summary of new features in FE3 DS so far. in particular, could someone answer the following?

- how much does the "my unit" mechanic add? it doesn't sound like a big change as far as the series goes, but in terms of the orig. FE3 it sounds like it adds a lot more to the story.

- i know there's the new casual vs the orig. classic mode, but anything else new about permadeaths, e.g. any penalty for using casual mode?

- differences between FE1 DS? are there any differences in reclassing, forging, wi-fi battles/online shop, loans, battle mechanics/calculations, nameless replacement units, supports, etc.? new classes and what do they do or any classes removed?

- also curious about major differences between this and the original FE3, although i haven't played it.

thanks in advance.

Edited by geozeldadude

i haven't been able to find much detail in terms of a summary of new features in FE3 DS so far. in particular, could someone answer the following?

- how much does the "my unit" mechanic add? it doesn't sound like a big change as far as the series goes, but in terms of the orig. FE3 it sounds like it adds a lot more to the story.

- i know there's the new casual vs the orig. classic mode, but anything else new about permadeaths, e.g. any penalty for using casual mode?

- differences between FE1 DS? are there any differences in reclassing, forging, wi-fi battles/online shop, loans, battle mechanics/calculations, nameless replacement units, supports, etc.? new classes and what do they do or any classes removed?

- also curious about major differences between this and the original FE3, although i haven't played it.

thanks in advance.

You can either get one more unit to trash, or a godly unit. It does add more character to other characters story so yeah.

No drawback. They just can't be used until the next chapter if they die, it's like when Seth retreats in FE8.

Some weapons were nerfed/made more powerful, more weapons added.

Reclassing is the same, but apparently you can make the limit disappear. No one knows how yet though. A new class would be the dancer class, though now we have no Ballistician that is playable. There are Dragon classes, though those are only for enemies.

Generics are still here, Battle mechanics are the same from what I can see. Suppports are the same as well. Forging and Wi Fi/Online are the same.

More characters are added than in FE3, a total of 77(?) Characters, though there are more characters than in FE10 (Radiant Dawn).

More story, obviously. And a couple Gaidens that didn't exist.

Reclassing is the same, but apparently you can make the limit disappear. No one knows how yet though.

Yes we do. Beat the game on Hard mode (the one between Normal and Maniac). Also, this simply means the 2 male sets merge and nothing more. So you can reclass Navarre to Hero for example.

You can either get one more unit to trash, or a godly unit. It does add more character to other characters story so yeah.

are you saying the "my unit" character can turn out really good or really bad? how much control do you have over its stats/growths?

More characters are added than in FE3, a total of 77(?) Characters, though there are more characters than in FE10 (Radiant Dawn).

More story, obviously. And a couple Gaidens that didn't exist.

77?? with all those characters do the majority get unused, or like FE10 does the game force you to use different teams of characters?

Yes we do. Beat the game on Hard mode (the one between Normal and Maniac). Also, this simply means the 2 male sets merge and nothing more. So you can reclass Navarre to Hero for example.

Missed that, so I guess I can't get 5 Bersekers on Wi Fi. XD

are you saying the "my unit" character can turn out really good or really bad? how much control do you have over its stats/growths?

77?? with all those characters do the majority get unused, or like FE10 does the game force you to use different teams of characters?

It all depends on the options you choose when you make My Unit. The choices give you specific Base stats and Growths.

Well, most will end up underused. No FE10 had a wider range for Programming, the DS isn't that extensive.

thanks in advance.

1) the My Unit does add a fair bit to the storyline asides having their own prologue, they can have conversations with just about (if not) the entire cast and though I can't quite really understand what's going on, they do rather influence the fate of the new arrival, Katarina, and also have camaraderie with Luke, Rody and Ryan throughout the game (and those 4 are his mutual support partners along w/ Marth).

2) even on casual mode, if a unit dies, it seems to null conversations with them as if they had died permanently, despite them returning on the next chapter (this hasn't been expounded upon yet, I just remember someone mentioning it happening to them)

3) females can reclass to generals and cavaliers/paladins; after beating the game on Hard, the male reclass options are all thrown together and you can reclass to any of their reclass-able choices; forging and support rules (1 point per chapter) are the same; the crit calculation was made to that every point of SKL over 20 gives 1 crit instead of 1/2 (though I can't recall the exact formula); the replacement units are the same as in FE1DS, generics; no new classes were added but Ballisticians are enemy-only oh and Feena returns as a dancer (and that means she can't reclass)

4) I wouldn't really want to spoil the few new story elements for you, but a few events are different from the old FE3; the shards now just give + stat boosts to the unit that holds them (kinda like the stat rings in FE4) and a few items are located in different spots; I will say that there are a wide variety of new items you may randomly get from your allies, though, so there's plenty to entice both veterans and newcomers, for sure~

ninja'd slighty but who frickin' cares

Missed that, so I guess I can't get 5 Bersekers on Wi Fi. XD

just to be clear, when the male reclass sets merge, the same limit as FE1 DS still applies, right? i.e. for a given class you can only have one more than the maximum number possible of that you could've recruited of that original class.

just to be clear, when the male reclass sets merge, the same limit as FE1 DS still applies, right? i.e. for a given class you can only have one more than the maximum number possible of that you could've recruited of that original class.

Exactly.

Though, I could be off, but I think the class of My Unit doesn't count towards this number, so if you have Archer my Unit in chapter one, plus Gordin and Ryan, you have 3/3 rather than 3/4

could be wrong here, though, but I believe I saw this in my last pt

not like it matters for me, since I never reclass.

Edited by Enjolras

a couple last questions

- is there any difference story-wise in having "my unit" be a girl vs. a guy? just curious

- i'm assuming "my unit" acts as a lord and is in pretty much every map along with marth. is that right?

- are elysian whips avl. in-game or are they still limited to the online shop (grrr)?

a couple last questions

- is there any difference story-wise in having "my unit" be a girl vs. a guy? just curious

- i'm assuming "my unit" acts as a lord and is in pretty much every map along with marth. is that right?

- are elysian whips avl. in-game or are they still limited to the online shop (grrr)?

....We don't read japanese, though there are tiny differences, yes.

Yep, MU dies, Game Over.

They're available in-game.

Probably. Don't know, though.

Although MU is only forced for the prologues and chapter 16x, I believe. Maybe some more, but in most chapters, MU is not forced. And yes, MU dieing (even in Casual) means game over.

At least one can be found in the desert.

This hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but weapon weight was removed. I'm not sure if you would count that as a new feature, or just a changed feature.

Edited by Axefighter Barst

There's some small differences in the dialogue when you pick a guy MU and a girl MU. However, I think we'll need someone with real Japanese expertise to look into it or just wait until it releases outside of Japan.

Oh, if someone "dies" in Casual you can't intitate a base conversation with them for that next chapter only. You'll be able to initiate base conversations the next chapter over and on provided they don't "die" again, though.

There's some small differences in the dialogue when you pick a guy MU and a girl MU. However, I think we'll need someone with real Japanese expertise to look into it or just wait until it releases outside of Japan.

Oh, if someone "dies" in Casual you can't intitate a base conversation with them for that next chapter only. You'll be able to initiate base conversations the next chapter over and on provided they don't "die" again, though.

If someone can post a few conversation snippets, I might be able to decipher it.

So, mounting/dismounting is definitely out, then? <_<

I know that reclassing makes it kind of obsolete, but still, I thought it was a cool feature. :P

The weight gone, now that's a pity. I really liked that, it was one of the things that made FE awesome, especially in FE 9/10 when it was based on STR rather than constitution, because if it's based on Constitution, you can never use heavy weapons with female units and it sucks. But even then, I still liked it, 'cause it was a question of how much SPD and Avoid you were willing to sacrifice for a few extra points of Might.

It' just like how IS just kicked out Canto, Shove and Rescue. Makes you wonder why they come up with these great features just ti kick them out because "we're doing a remake and it was not in the original game..." Anyone saw a "Reclass" option in FE3 (or FE1 for that matter)? B)

Rescuing is something that I wish existed so that chapter 3 won't take at least 20 turns, but at least it cuts down the level of complexity for potential strategies so I don't have to retry maps even more times to cut down turns.

Nope, there are only three. One was basically tactics, don't remember what the second one was, and the third one was... confusing. Last I heard, the best translation was basically "leaving enemies alive." Makes no sense.

Edit: By "Nope" I mean they aren't the same as FE7's.

Edited by Slize

So, what's new battle-prep wise? Does the base work just like it did in FE9/10? What's the point of the prep arena if you can't get exp? Any other interesting new features in the base?

EDIT: ahhhh you do get exp, but you don't get gold. ok cool.

Edited by The Awesomest

But can you save in between battles with this prep screen arena? If you can, there's no chance of dying, and it's just like free EXP for everyone... :huh: