[FE9] Draft Tourney 2

Ether

If you guys think that some characters benefit far more than others with BEXP, than be smart and pick those characters. I doubt that Jill and Marcia alone will dominate the game. Paladins and Laguz are also pretty good.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoMC's solution is almost as bad as the problem that it fixes, since banning BEXP just shifts the auto-win title to different units. Nice for the people who figure out who those units are, in advance of everyone else, I guess?

Well, it prevents you from giving 10+ levels to the earlygame unit of your choice to wreck shit with. That's certainly helpful. Consider the numerous draft playthroughs in other games, where BEXP doesn't exist.

If you guys think that some characters benefit far more than others with BEXP, than be smart and pick those characters. I doubt that Jill and Marcia alone will dominate the game. Paladins and Laguz are also pretty good.

Laguz are limited to a 9 MT weapon for the entire game.

Edited by dondon151

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind playing on Hard Mode, or some kind of "no more than X BEXP per character per chapter". But I think a flat BEXP ban is probably too far.

I agree with Balcerzak on this, that there should be X amount of BEXP per character per chapter. It would limit how much we could use but also allow us to use some BEXP in the process.

Oh, and I pick Soren

Well, it prevents you from giving 10+ levels to the earlygame unit of your choice to wreck shit with. That's certainly helpful. Consider the numerous draft playthroughs in other games, where BEXP doesn't exist.

I don't deny that it's helpful, for the reasons that you've mentioned. The issue is, banning BEXP in an FE9 draft is the Orkin Man equivalent of solving your termite problem by burning the house down.

You're not going to get "balance" out of FE9. At best, you shift the pick disparity to a slightly larger cadre of units, instead of just two units.

A few things I need to have clear before the next pick.

What is the penalty for Gatrie and Soren?

Does Rhys still get a 2 turn penalty if the only thing I'm using him for is absorbing attacks?

Is BEXP going to be allowed or not?

Is it necessary to use all drafted characters? Since by the end of the draft we are going to choose characters like Bastian that don't do anything except slow the player down.

Another one I had forgotten about: Can I give stat boosters to undrafted characters?

Edited by Krad

BEXP will be allowed.

Gatrie has a penalty of 3.

Soren has a penalty of 2.

Rhys has a penalty of 2 for usage.This includes holding chokepoints,etc.

You may choose not to make use of a drafted character if you so please.You never even have to field them.

Stat boosters to undrafted characters...I suppose there is no reason to dissallow it,although I don't see what you are getting at...if it isn't important to your future plans that it remains secret,would you mind informing me?

Edited by Kleine

Stat boosters to undrafted characters...I suppose there is no reason to dissallow it,although I don't see what you are getting at...if it isn't important to your future plans that it remains secret,would you mind informing me?

Sure. Chapter 5 has 3 spots that need to be blocked. 2 of them can be blocked with Ike + Titania, while the third one would require drafting a GM. Since Oscar, Boyd, Shinon and Soren have all been drafted already, that leaves Gatrie and Rhys, both who are probably going to drag the player down lategame. So I wanted to know if I could use a statbooster on an undrafter character so I could hold one of the spots with Soren or Rhys, and if needed give them the Seraph Robe so they can survive (I have never really found an use for it in NM other than getting Ike an HP transfer, and maybe surviving rocks in Chapter 25), instead of getting 1 extra turn due to using Gatrie.

And since it looks like I can, and I also can use BEXP,

Mist.

Edited by Krad

I see.That certainly is an interesting idea.I wonder if the loss of the robe will affect you later on.Heck,who knows,in a later draft,you may even end up getting Gatrie/Rhys anyway.

I too have some questions.

Is there a turn penalty for restarting the chapter if a character falls?

If I have an undrafted unit be attacked by the enemy but have no weapons equipped, does it still count as a turn penalty, since they really aren't doing anything but possibly blocking? You might have said that when you said they couldn't hold chokepoints, but I don't really know what that is.

Let's take ch. 2 for example. Boyd and Oscar are taken, so if I put them in a corner and have them just sit there, there is no turn penalty, right?

And I'll take Zihark...

You can restart the chapter if a character dies,if you want to try a different strategy,etc. There is no penalty for that.

An undrafted unit cannot enter combat without a penalty.The best you can do is try to keep them out of enemy range.

And then,as if by magic,Zihark's earth affinity didn't seem to matter...

That's hilarious. Mia is now a better draft choice than Zihark (arguably). Even without Rhys support, though I suppose Balcerzak has Ilyana so Mia could at least get something.