Generals need better caps

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem mostly is REACHING that cap, also, without a 30 def cap, they can't survive a Forged Polax on Wi Fi.

For Paladins.

Without a 31 DEF cap, they (Generals) can't survive Medeus in Lunatic (neither can Paladin true but still, they're supposed to be the tanks in this game). Without higher SPD cap to prevent being doubled so early, they're 2RKOed like everyone else when they're supposed to be tanks who traded mobility for superior defense which they don't have in that case.

Edited by Sirius

Meh, General isn't even used for its caps anyhow from it looks like. It's more for earlygame defense and mid game leverage against the Dragons it seems. After that, the enemies are too fast for the extra Def to really matter from the looks of it.

Although General suffers this particularly, a lot of classes lose some of their value in late game Maniac/Lunatic because of the massive speed the enemies had. Seriously, only four classes go over 26, which is what you need to avoid crazy SMs and Flying Dragons (Heroes kinda scrape through on Maniac, the speed difference to Lunatic is about -1/-2 at that point). Or Medeus.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

I would only hold that against them on the higher difficulties. Really if you want to hold your own on either of these DS FEs on the higher difficulties you want your greasy fast speed because the enemies absolutely hoard the hell out of it.

In Normal and Hard though, General is pretty useful.

That speed is so annoying. The one thing they ever cap. The problem is that, while the Sages caps add up to be pretty good, no character can abuse the 30 magic, or their 28 skill. And I'd seriously lol if someone got a Bishop to 30 resistance.

That speed is so annoying. The one thing they ever cap. The problem is that, while the Sages caps add up to be pretty good, no character can abuse the 30 magic, or their 28 skill. And I'd seriously lol if someone got a Bishop to 30 resistance.

Once, my lena(in sd)had 28res. On top of that,she had 22mag,30 luck and good speed(22-23).

Screw the balance, what the hell is fun about them anymore?

Before anyone jumps at me, I'm only a fan of the GBA armors because they either had a stupidly useless (outside of Knight Crest Barth being semi-useful or Boris's eh earlygame help) yet hilariously cheesy ability (Triangle Attack ala FE6), or were actually good/decent (Ozzy, Gil).

Now back to our scheduled program, mages and generals. Generals being weak is not unusual, but they at least served their function. They don't even act as meatshields anymore, they're just sort of there to serve no other function than to be frustrating.

Mages are also problematic, since they're just glorified archers with magic sticks on promotion, magic sticks most likely put to better use by dedicated staff users. Even the best spell Excalibur is just "The better Parthia on a crappier unit type". Without the rank for at least good staff use or the rank to use Exalibur/you aren't Maric, things are just bland.

So IMO opinion, toss the idea of balance out of your mind and think about what would make them interesting or fun again?

One thing I think would be cool is give Generals a sort of passive Charisma ability. Nothing insane like the Charisma of the past (Go, my army of auto 45 boosted avoid!), but something like that. If they don't have the decency to frontline anytime soon, they can at least try to manage to keep up as to give benefits to people 3 spaces away. Besides, they're Generals. Why would they not have leadership qualities? Also, Big Shield.

As for magic, I feel they had things going for FE2's white magic and GBA's dark magic. Give magic unique properities like Nosferatu and Luna, have it cost health depending on the power, have different effects (like have Shine Barrier be a spell, since no one actually gives a damn to hold one of those things in their inventory to actually use, so might as well have it be a spell that can be used repeatedly).

While it might not balance things out (magic is limited by health and the power of the spell so you can't abuse some stuff without constant healing, I doubt Charisma on Generals comes close to solving their problems.), it would at least make them interesting.

Edited by Etzel's Hips

Generals are basically an enemy-only class they decided to give players for no reason other than to waste their time.

MOV imbalance is also stupid in the DS games. Mounted classes should not have a +3~+4 MOV gap on unmounted classes of any kind.

I once had a Bishop!Lena in FEDS that got to 29 res(without stat boosters or major level up rigging) She also capped spd and luck and had ~21 Mag. My Merric in another playthrough got 27 mag(though that was with three spirit dusts), capped spd(w/o boosters) and 18 res. He also had 60 HP/14 Def(again, with boosters, but w/e).

In both cases, PEMN.

As for magic, I feel they had things going for FE2's white magic and GBA's dark magic. Give magic unique properities like Nosferatu and Luna, have it cost health depending on the power, have different effects (like have Shine Barrier be a spell, since no one actually gives a damn to hold one of those things in their inventory to actually use, so might as well have it be a spell that can be used repeatedly).

That or go back to being broken in terms of offense like in FE5. Now they're generally weak in terms of offense AND defense. Generals need Big Shield back or at least make their defense matter like it does for the Majin in FE2.

The problem I see is the weird 30 cap for Paladin defense. I don't even know why they decided to give them such a high defense. It really makes no sense.

Sages definitely got the shaft though. 25 speed is pathetic. Or don't go crazy with the enemies' magic defense. I mean, seriously, Fire emblem is suppose to have both sides with pitifully weak mdef out side of Mages.

Edited by Super Mecha Death Christ