Your Perception(again)

Fireman

Peception  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Die or Survive?

• "There's a chance you'll survive"
    • "There's a chance you'll die."

Let's say, hypothetically, that you have to take medicine. Would you rather the doctor say:

"There's a chance you'll survive"

OR

"There's a chance you'll die."

ooh, that's a tough one.

if they say, theres a chance you'll die, then that makes the medication seem sinister

and if they say, theres a chance you'll live, then that means that you are pretty bad and are highly likely to die.

ooh, let me think about it

I'd have to say "die". It sounds like in both sentences, they have small chances of occuring. So I'll go with the one that sounds like there's a small chance I'll die.

after my little incident of surviving two crashes that would have been fatal, I think I might survive

I'd rather hear a doctor say, "There's a chance you'll die," because it sounds like they're just trying to keep you level-headed as you weigh your options, and they don't necessarily think you'll die.

If, on the other hand they say there's a chance you'll survive, it sounds like the chances of you dying are greater than the chances for you surviving, but they want to keep you from giving up hope.

Saying "there's a chance that" concerning anything implies, to me, that the other options are more likely to happen. So, the latter.

What Fireman said.

I went for die because I went through my whole goth phase ahwile back. Old habits.

I should have said survive, because that makes it seem so much more dark and sinister. Which I do like, but I prefer to let people see me happy before they really get to know me.

I went for die because I went through my whole goth phase ahwile back. Old habits.

I should have said survive, because that makes it seem so much more dark and sinister. Which I do like, but I prefer to let people see me happy before they really get to know me.