Jugdral 978: A Holy War/Thracia 776 Successor RP

Astelaine

He has minor Baldo blood. |:Fury is a good Example.

And Lumi can attest to Lachke, but she gives her the cheap Major Odo. >_>

And also, *coughBlaggicough* Not all are great. Plus your class needed to be able to use the weapon. So like, you can't have a thief blasting things with FalaFlame.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has minor Baldo blood. |:

Fury is a good Example.

EDIT: @Cam: Not screwed, Holy weapon users have their limits too. They can't dodge for a week, they're human as well.

@bold: He does? *checks* Oshit, you're right.

Fine then, Fury's the best example. Or maybe Othin, who's just a random street kid in FE5.

Never forget Marty. Ever.

@Edit: I suppose. But the normal person would have to survive for a while until the holy weaponeer (is that a word?) is worn down.

Besides, regular!FE4 says otherwise.

Odo improves Skl. It is Balmung itself that gives WTFSpeed.

Right.

This is already getting more technical then I'd generally care for.

I opt to avoid the issue of blood altogether, at least for my chars, let the others get their boosts in whatever, I'll let my writing do the talking, you don't need a strong character to have a good character.

Self insertion? Y/N?

N

I opt to avoid the issue of blood altogether, at least for my chars, let the others get their boosts in whatever, I'll let my writing do the talking, you don't need a strong character to have a good character.

qft especially first sentence

Edited by CATS

I respect you even more now.

Well, in FE4 you have essentially unlimited money in the form of the arena, Steal/Give and lovers. However, in this RP, I doubt that'll be the case.

And finally, those with Major Blood are truly unmatched in the area of their strength. For example, someone without blood could never hope to match the speed of one with Major Odo Holsety. Therefore, I suggest that you have NPCs with the Major Blood. The rest of us have to deal with halved bonuses.

Edited by Camtech075

SQ Rp'ers seem to have a new character popping up frequently. And I know that some RP'ers here are incapable of successfully RP'ing anything more then one character. While I'm not asking for a set rule, how many characters would you suggest people create when they start this RP?[/Quote]

Felt a need to address that. All the new characters (Or rather, most of them) Are generally not part of the main group, and most of them aren't intended to be permanent character. Kinda of like the bosses from the LoAF chapters. They're around, and they're being developed while they are, but they won't be around forever.

Wow, I go off to put books in a box and get a sandwich, I come back to like two more pages of stuff. Woof! I can't respond to everyone individually, so let me just try to explain some things and hope I cover everyone's concerns.

First off - don't get overwhelmed by all the technical stuff coming out of this thread. That's just people discussing game details and game mechanics to a degree only fans can do. XD (Actually, if you guys could refrain from talking about things not directly related to RP questions in this thread, that would be really helpful. Otherwise it will just get too crazy for me to handle, really fast.) In the roleplay, holy blood will not be that complicated. At all. In fact, nothing about making a character in this roleplay will be complex. No "power levels," no stats, no inane figuring the likes of what you'd find in a tabletop game like D&D. What I really want you to focus on in your brainstorming is your character's personality, history, relationships, and desires. It's psychology, emotions, and goals that make the story go, not numbers. Don't worry about a roleplay combat before you even have a reason to get in a fight, I say!

Brief FE4 backstory to explain holy blood:

Long ago, an evil empire erected by the followers of the dark god Loputous controlled the world. Child sacrifices, oppression of the people, all that. The gods descended from the heaven at that point, granting their power to twelve crusaders in order for them to topple said empire. As a result, these crusaders could wield special holy weapons, and were infused with special strength and abilities. After the empire was destroyed, the crusaders founded dynasties and royal families, becoming the leaders of nations. Their powers were passed along to their children, creating special holy bloodlines. In Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, many of the characters were members of these bloodlines, and their families controlled countries, castles, or holdings traditional to their line. They used their abilities to fight off the second coming of the dark god. In the timeline of this RP, the holy blood still persists. These people still hold on to positions of power in the various kingdoms. Some of the crusaders' descendants feel it their duty to tend to their subjects and create a good life for them. Others ride the status their lineage gives them, abusing citizens for their own personal gain. Those without holy blood variously nigh-worship the children of these ancient saviors, despise them for their elitism or shirking of their obligations, or wish to rise to power themselves in order to help others.

In FE4, being descended from a crusader allowed a character to wield a crazygood holy weapon, boosted their stat growths, and made them basically overkillhax. This is great in a video game, but not a forum story. Many of the mechanics the holy blood is tied to in-game just don't matter in a roleplay not focused on combat. I'm more interested in the social consequences of being descended from a crusader. I'm more interested in how these people see their lineage, their obligations, how they choose to act in the world, and how it influences their interactions with others. As such, holy blood in this RP is not going to do anything for you in terms of combat. Nothing. Nor is advantage in combat a reason you should choose that avenue for your character.

Holy blooded characters will be able to inherit these weapons from their families. They are the only ones who can rightfully use them according to social custom and the laws of the noble houses. They are great weapons - not because they shoot lasers, or instantly decapitate dudes, or anything like that - but because these weapons were twice used to slay evil men who acted as agents of an evil, dark empire. It's not even their innate value as weapons that matter. It is the attached legends, and the fact that they are symbols with powerful meanings, and confer instant legitimacy and respect on a noble holding one. It's like if a religious person appeared in our real world who held a relic we could prove came from a saint. It's srs business. But not because they're lawlmagic.

You may choose to have holy blood in this game if you like. I would like to encourage it, because it positions your character as someone who has the immediate potential to be a mover and shaker in Jugdral. However, it is not necessary at all. There's an equal need for those who are not nobility - guards, advisors, spies, or attendants. Heck, even wandering mercenaries, villagers, and "normal people" have a place in the drama. I will let you play any person you like, provided their profession or identity is something that would be realistically found in this world. And if you want to play a noble - someone tasked by their lineage with governing a region - but not have holy blood, you can do that too. You can be born into a noble family and simply not have a mark appear on you. No sweat.

Selecting holy blood will have serious social and story consequences. If you have a mark and people know about it, you are not afforded the freedom to just go about, wandering or doing as you please. There are obligations. There are rules. There is the built up weight of three centuries or so of tradition surrounding this phenomenon. It is not a matter your characters would take lightly. Accordingly, there's some great grist here for an epic story. Both people with a special lineage, and those without, are needed to make that story come to fruition. So think carefully, and consider psychology, social station, and political intrigue above all else. Don't make combat a concern, that's not the center of this game.

And as someone asked a few posts ago: self-insertions are a big NO.

Edit: Concerning the number of characters you may have. To start with, just one. This is going to be an intensive RP. You won't be able to roll up three characters and just dump out a few sentences for each. That works well with other types of roleplays, but the thing I have set up is going to require a bit more out of you. If that's not your style, that's totally cool. I still hope people are interested in joining despite me having such a specific vision about this. I want you to focus your efforts on one character. If you are handling it well and want more after that, we can talk about it.

As for NPCs, boss-type characters, and side dudes - I'll handle all of those. These are characters who are important to your story or background, but aren't meant to be player characters. If you want someone like that involved in your story - for example, family members, major servants, lovers,etc - I'll write them in for you. There will even be a spot for them on your character sheet, how dandy! :D

Edited by Astelaine

Sweet.

So um.....the questions I asked about my characters? >_>

And their relations, and all that stuff?

And might I ask when you are going to start this? Or show us your character?

Edited by Psych

Sweet.

So um.....the questions I asked about my characters? >_>

And their relations, and all that stuff?

And might I ask when you are going to start this? Or show us your character?

I would assume that if they are of Tordo lineage, they would have some ties to Velthomer and possibly Silesia, over anything. When/if a character comes from there, add more in you description?

If I sign up in this RP, I'd make my character (Which I will sprite....soon. >>) from a Hezul lineage, which would give ties to people in Nodion, Baldo, and possibly (Depending on whether Nanna/Leaf is a pair) Noba. They'd have relations.

EDIT: Of course, non blooded people might have even more relations, as they are common people.

Edited by MeteorLunarSolar

So, do you mean like cousins or something? Cause I said my characters had siblings, so I guess someone could be her long lost brother, but otherwise, I'd prefer if my characters weren't immediately related to someone. I know that say, Tiltyu, Tinny, Arthur, or Sety's kids would be related, but that would probably be quite distant.

It's cool if you don't want to have family relationships with others. But some of them you'll want to have met before, or at the very least have heard of them! Maybe some other characters would be your childhood friends, rivals, love interests, or any other thing you can think of. It's good to have some connections. Just keep that in mind. Also, I'm only allowing one character to start.

@ Kanami, because I'm too lazy to find your post again and quote it >_>,

I think I've answered most of what you asked in my post above, save for the party question. I want to provide plenty of opportunities for the player characters to all be together. They're all starting in Barhara castle, at the celebration of Celice's victory over the Empire, to give you a chance to get to know each other and get familiar with how I do things. However, this isn't a D&D adventuring party. I'm not sure I can keep you all in the same place, all the time, especially when the characters come from such diverse geographical regions. I'll think more on this, because I want to find a good balance between the two extremes of this issue. If you have any perspective from LoAF or any other roleplays you've done, I'd love to hear it! :) Same for everyone else, too.

And to whoever asked about the thirty-days thing... that's just the maximum time I'm giving you between posts before I turn your character into an NPC or pass major holy blood to someone else. I am sure most people will post more than that (or so I hope), but it's just insurance for keeping things going even if someone critical to the story stops posting.

Thanks Astelaine, you've answered my questions and responded to my concerns more than adequately. Just gonna wait for the sign-ups now.

No problem! They'll be up way late tonight (EST) or sometime tomorrow. Though right now I need a break from the computer lol

Edited by Astelaine

If you have any perspective from LoAF or any other roleplays you've done, I'd love to hear it! :) Same for everyone else, too.

I've done RPs with both styles (i.e. ones where pretty much all characters are together all the time, and ones where you have several disjointed stories which only intersect occasionally), and both have worked. Whether it succeeds or not doesn't depend on what you do, but how you do it, in my experience. Pretty much anything can work out if it's done well, so I'm not too concerned by this issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, please no claiming blood yet, wait on that til I get the rules/sheet/info up :)

Look what I found! XD

I got a special mention! XD

Thanks once again for those answers, I'm relatively happy to at least give this RP a go despite MLS scaring the crap out of me with a network of information. Looking forward to updates now as I'm out of questions.

@Society

-Cousins and having the same ancestor.

It's not really an issue since 200 years would allow for at least 6 generations of kids. If Sigurd had two kids. And each of his children/grandchildren continued having two kids.

Sigurd -> Twokids - Fourkids - 8kids - 16kids - 32kids.

So you've got 32 distant relatives, wouldn't surprise me if you didn't know all of them.

@Blood

Impressed with the way blood was handled, my reasoning for the "Bloods" not giving the godly boosts they did in the game would go along the lines of the blood losing potency. Unless of course you kept the bloodline pure by marrying cousins and getting warped babies.

I'm glad that the blood/weapons are only decoration, as getting my head around that was becoming painful XD

despite MLS scaring the crap out of me with a network of information

@Blood

Impressed with the way blood was handled, my reasoning for the "Bloods" not giving the godly boosts they did in the game would go along the lines of the blood losing potency. Unless of course you kept the bloodline pure by marrying cousins and getting warped babies.

I'm just....informed. >>

Minor bloods should diminish, as that's 1 theory, so say....if you were a branch off the Odo Family....with Minor blood, after 200 years, I think it would diminish to common blood.

Incest kids are awesome though.

Lulz, I already have an idea for my character. =P

I'm just....informed. >>

Incest kids are awesome though.

You have a damn fetish. Admit it.

Damn Strikethrough failure -_-

Well, I might join depending on school. Chances are I wont have enough time for two RP's so that kinda sucks for me :(

Looked interesting though

Edited by Kai

Minor bloods should diminish, as that's 1 theory, so say....if you were a branch off the Odo Family....with Minor blood, after 200 years, I think it would diminish to common blood.

The thing about blood, you've gotta remember Shargaal was the direct descendant to Hezul. The blood thins out but it also reappears in rare cases, even in distant branch families, such as in Eltosian's case.

The thing about blood, you've gotta remember Shargaal was the direct descendant to Hezul. The blood thins out but it also reappears in rare cases, even in distant branch families, such as in Eltosian's case.

It was actually because Hezul's Daughter, who had the Major blood was married off to Nodion, which is how Elto got the blood and why Shargaal has none/too little.

/Off topic

You have a damn fetish. Admit it.

lulz Hezul people. Have your guy fall in love with his sis/vicecerse

FE4 is MADE on Incest though.

My character is going to be female.

Oh crap, I didn't mean to make it off topic D:

It was actually because Hezul's Daughter, who had the Major blood was married off to Nodion, which is how Elto got the blood and why Shargaal has none/too little.

/Off topic

Branched family - [x]

Blood thinned - [x]

Sounds about right.

Onee-sama.