Marth, You Ladies' Man...

Randoman

Taken from the Fire Emblem Wiki:

Afterword, Marth (despite women hitting on him in both books) chose Shiida as his wife...

You know, people never talk about Marth's popularity among girls the same way they do with Roy or FE4 Males (though that's probably because he can only get married to Sheeda). Though I don't really know just how many girls like him (and the evidence that supports their feelings towards Marth), so help me out with my list.

Sheeda: I don't think I need to explain anything here.

Mallesia: It's somewhat implied in FE3, though her feelings for Marth are absolutely confirmed in the FE12 MU conversations (where she obsesses over Marth to the point where she's practicing being his wife).

Catria: FE fans usually speculate that Catria has feelings for Marth, though there's no solid evidence that I know of.

Tiki: I'm not sure if she likes Marth in a big brother way or the same way Sheeda likes Marth, but either way it's pretty evident that Tiki's quite obsessed with him.

Maria: Her recruitment conversation in FE11 pretty much confirms that she likes Marth, though I'm not sure if it's to the point that she'd actually consider marrying him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from the Fire Emblem Wiki:

Catria: FE fans usually speculate that Catria has feelings for Marth, though there's no solid evidence that I know of.

There is very solid evidence of this. Her SD ending slightly implied it, but her supports in this game heavily do. Amaterasu did a full traslation of the third convo with MU, where, from what I remember, she says she "has feeling she shouldn't have" and that MU may help her to get over them. Condidering she talks about Marth a lot, and MU mentions that she often fights where he (Marth) can see her, I think it's pretty obvious.

Yet some people keep saying he's gay, despite him attracting women and marrying one of them.

Anyone will say anyone is gay in the fandom, no matter how much canon evidence there is to the contrary.

Edited by Big Klingy

Most of the jokes about Marth being gay come from the perceptions of him being "girly", due to his character design and his portrayal in promotional materials.

It's kinda ironic, because the one FE "Lord" character who's the most likely to be a homosexual, Ike from he Radiance games, is full of "manly" characteristics and a muscular design. Japan seems to have a quite a different view on what kind of man "gets" girls over there...

Anyone will say anyone is gay in the fandom, no matter how much canon evidence there is to the contrary.

Everyone is bi!

It's kinda ironic, because the one FE "Lord" character who's the most likely to be a homosexual, Ike from he Radiance games, is full of "manly" characteristics and a muscular design. Japan seems to have a quite a different view on what kind of man "gets" girls over there...

Remember when you could look manly without looking either totally girly or totally muscular?

Edited by Ike-Mike

Most of the jokes about Marth being gay come from the perceptions of him being "girly", due to his character design and his portrayal in promotional materials.
It mainly came from Smash Bros, where Marth was portrayed as more feminine than his actual games.

Mallesia eventually gives up on Marth as she starts to support him and Sheeda together. In the ending of this remake she says she's going to find her Prince Charming and he ain't Roger.

In a way, I think it wasn't really that she was obsessed with Marth, she was just obsessed with marriage. Her grandmother was constantly pushing her to marry a good man, so she constantly fanticised about finding her 'prince charming' and living happily ever after. Marth certainly seemed like her idea of this at first.

Roger's poor luck with girls makes him seem like quite the butt monkey. What'd he do to deserve it? Favors for Matthis?

He's the unlucky comic relief.

How Astram got anyone is beyond me. He's not particularly good-looking, and he's kinda dense.

Roger's poor luck with girls makes him seem like quite the butt monkey. What'd he do to deserve it? Favors for Matthis?

Roger's got it pretty bad but I think Gatrie has it the worst. I wonder if Roger says anything different to a female My unit?

He's the unlucky comic relief.

How Astram got anyone is beyond me. He's not particularly good-looking, and he's kinda dense.

Whats surprising is Midia chose him over Jeorge, admittedly with Jeorge's support but still. You'd almost think she'd be better without him.

I really don't understand that part of Marth's SSBB portrayal. He has some very feminine traits, such as wiping his hair out of his face when idling, but this might just be Nintendo's way of making him look conceited. I frequently bring up Shiida whenever these mannerisms are brought up, and for contrast I am sure to mention Ike's Soren/Ranulf.

Nah, I think those mannerisms were most certainly inspired by his portrayal in the Fire Emblem OVAs, where he's anything -but- cocky and conceited.

Just to check, have you perhaps seen that OVA? A dub or sub VHS rip shouldn't be too hard to find on the internet. I think it's quite apparent his Melee portrayal was based on that, not only his appearance and mannerisms, but IIRC his Japanese seiyuu is even the same (And it's not like Marth had a constant seiyuu through the FE lifespan).

I also recall reading that for the DS Shadow Dragon, a lot of the dialog was heavily rewritten to, strangely enough, have Marth appear less like a naive, inexperienced prince. It might be a good idea to compare the DS incarnation of Marth to equivilant dialogs in the original Ankoku and Monshou to make sure all the facts are checked on how his characterization has changed.

So Sheeda, Catria, and Mallesia (in a way) are the only ones that have authentic feelings for Marth.

I was wondering, has anyone checked what happens in FE12's ending if Sheeda dies? It is possible for Catria or Mallesia to marry Marth that way? Not that I don't like Marth and Sheeda getting married, but it'd be a shame for Catria and Mallesia to not get married to Marth if Sheeda died, even if they could never completely replace her.

^ This.

I agree with Eclipse completely. Why do men like Cain and Sedgar have to stay single, eh?

On the other hand, Shiida looked like she could have (aside from Marth), Castor, Roger, Ogma, Navarre [kind of. before Feena came]. They're made for each other. 8D

^ This.

I agree with Eclipse completely. Why do men like Cain and Sedgar have to stay single, eh?

On the other hand, Shiida looked like she could have (aside from Marth), Castor, Roger, Ogma, Navarre [kind of. before Feena came]. They're made for each other. 8D

Of Caeda's choices, the only one that doesn't look like it will come with a ton of baggage is Ogma. Castor's got issues with his mom, Navarre seems to be the type to clam up and not say stuff (bad for long-term relationships), and Roger would probably need a few girlfriends to iron out the feeling of doormat I get from him.

Cain seems like the kind of guy that only focuses on one thing at a time (in his case, it's being a knight).

Sedgar's staying single because I said so. :wub:

(seriously. . .I think Vyland has the best chance of snagging a girl out of the Wolfguard. I'd put Roshea and Sedgar as close seconds)

If Marth wasn't the main character, he'd be High Tier for Potentially Getting Married. Hmm. . .I wonder if FFtF could use another stupid tier list. . .

Go and make one. 8D

Ogma happens to be very devoted, he has that on top of his other good qualities.

I think everyone in the wolfguard could potentially get a girl; except for Wolf because of obvious reasons...

What about Gordin?

Cain, good point. Luke on the other hand... And what about Rody? I'd hope Rody has better luck than Abel did.

Oh, and I don't think Marth's popularity with girls is talked about because he already has a canon love interest; and the girls who do fancy him don't beat Shiida. Roy has too many girls, [i'm surprised some people don't realize Celice has the same amount].

At least Malliesia gives up. Catria? I'm 90% sure she loves Marth; Klingy mentioned something in his playthrough notes of FE12 or something. Tiki, I don't think she likes Marth in that way. Maria just finds him handsome and dashing like Malliesia does, but to a lesser extent.

Dosen't Cain get a support bonus (not support convo though) with Catria? And I think Frey gets one from Palla.

Could be hinting at something at least. Although they can't reach A.

In SD? IIRC, Frey gets a support bonus with Catria, too. . .hoo boy, that's confusing!

On topic - I don't think SD changed him that much from FE3 book 1, as he doesn't say much at all. He just lets everyone else do all the talking. In SD the gave him some speaking parts, and just that makes him seem like more of a hero. But I have to disagree in that he doesn't seem like a fighter on his own - he gets angry very easily in Book 1, which never happens in SD. In SD, they matched his personality to his Brawl portrayal, where he seems extremely conceited - or that's just my take on it.

I will have to wait for and English New Mystery to see how Marth changed from Book 2, however.

For my personal views on how Marth's personality should be, I stick with the more recent portrayals, as its the only Marth I know.

Edited by Maria's bro