FE11 + 12 Memorial Book

VincentASM

This book was announced a while ago, but there weren't any real details, until Dengeki posted this feature recently.

Subtitled "Fire Emblem: Akaneia Chronicles", the book is centered around recent releases FE11 and FE12 (Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem), although it does contain content from past Akaneia titles.

Price is 3,150 Yen (with tax), which is slightly more expensive than the 20th Anniversary book. Size is B5 and features 256 pages (16 more pages compared to the 20th Anniversary book). Release date is expected to be 3rd December 2010, although it's possible it might be delayed further (it was originally expected to be released on September, but then got delayed to October and now December). ISBN is 978-4-04-868941-0.

Main features:

Premium artworks - New artwork from past official artists, including Maki Hakoda (FE1 mangaka). It seems this will be similar in style to the new artwork found in the 20th Anniversary book, which had people like Senri Kita and the Hasha no Tsurugi mangaka onboard.

World, historica - Information on the history of Akaneia.

Character file - Probably one of the main selling points, the TCG artwork will apparently be included in large size.

All about Akaneia - Information on characters, locations, items and related keywords. Sounds like a glossary of sorts.

Scenario archive - Includes the entire "main scenario" of FE11 and FE12 (including the downloadable episodes, sidequests (or do they mean FE: Gaiden?) and the BS FEs), as well as event images. Are they talking about the entire game script (the entire FE3 game script was published in a book once) or just summaries?

20th tribute - Various lists about the whole series, such as 20 years of the game system, 20 years of classes, amounting to over 200 items.

(Note: Since the book is still being produced, some of the above details may change. Makes me wonder if the My Unit creations from the official site will make it into this book...)

Anyway, I just received the 20th Anniversary book, but I'm not really sure if I'm interested in this one. On one hand, it's rare to see any new FE merchandise these days, but like the 20th Anniversary book, there doesn't sound like there's much new here and just seems to be a novelty/collector's item. Maybe I'll change my mind after checking out my new book...

Edited by VincentASM

Now, people can't complain about no backstories

I will anyway.

Now I know what to ask for Christmas! Hopefully, everyone gets more than two sentences describing who they are. . .

Edited by eclipse

Retconning backstories through side publications is no substitute for actual in-game contents, oi.

I enjoyed the anniversary book a great deal, so this should be a mighty fine addition to declining number of Fire Emblem merchandises these days.

I just wish they'd go and make a proper material collection book for Magvel and Tellius some time. They deserve some love, too.

• 2 weeks later...

But Akaneia has so much stuff relating to it....5 games, TCGs, these artbooks, an OVA, the BS series...does any other FE universe come close when it comes to merchandise?

Yes, the Jugdral saga. 2 games (with one of them being the only FE game in the series with a Deluxe Limited Edition Box), at least 4 artbooks and guides (Treasure Book, FE4 Playing Guide, FE4 Nintendo Official Guidebook, Oosawa Mitsuki's Gekka Ginyu artbook), three different official FE4 manga, a series of three Thracia 776 Light Novels, several Jugdral TCG series, the Exceed a Generation set of figurines... And I may have missed a goods or two in the lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What site are you using? Last I checked (which was ages ago admittedly), Amazon Japan had it in stock. Although be prepared to pay hefty shipping fees if you don't live in Japan.

Otherwise, there's not really many English or popular sites that are stocking the book, it seems (it's also on Ebay).

Are you using the English version? There's an "In English" link to the very top right of the page. Buying and paying is a cinch with it.

Or do you mean registering for an account?

Edited by VincentASM

Other alternative you can try to get the book: Nippon-Export.

Their big advantage is their service where you can ask them to search for a specific item you want and order it for you. Just make sure to give them the item's references (in this case, the book's ISBN) and ideally, the Amazon link, and there you go.

I highly recommend them, as I'm particulary satisfied with their service: you're in contact with an individual person (and not a bot) who informs you about the items' details and prices and answers to your questions; and I got the items without fail and in excellent shape, for a very satisfiying price.

I was actually just looking into Nippon-Export recently, but not for FE. Nice to hear somebody's had a good experience with using it.

Another place, which I forgot to check earlier, is YesAsia. The book price is a bit on the high side, but you don't pay shipping. Not quite sure if the book is really worth ~60 USD though (I really want the TCG artwork, but you've seen it all before, it's just bigger now).

Edited by VincentASM