A couple of questions about my hack

Flux_Blade

Well I'm working on a FE7 hack and had a couple of questions.

The first one, do I need to use assembly to modify the stats increased by the dragonstone?

Also I was trying to figure out the speed for building supports, since I really do not want to make players sit there for overtly long periods of time.  So, what would be a good guideline for determining how many turns the supports should take?  Using the 5-star tactics for when I would aim for the supports to be finished?  Faster, slower?  The game should be a bit harder than the actual game.

Thanks for the help. 

Dragonstone stats shouldn't be too tough to modify. There should be a custom stat modifier module somewhere, use that (note that it starts filled with empty data which is just FF (all 1's in binary), so you need to change everything at least to 0's) note down the pointer you're filling data in, and change the Dragonstone to point at it.

As for supports, they're fairly slow. 5* tactics is around 260-310 turns depending on route and mode, but I wouldn't aim to make supports all finished in that amount of time. Rather, boost the speed of slow supports (I'd make everything a +2 support, and most characters joining after chapter 20 +3 supports), and also boost lategame characters to significantly higher amounts. In return, I'd consider weakening the effects of supports if you have the module to do so - something like FE9's effects or perhaps a little better, in return for slightly faster supports.

Dragonstone stats shouldn't be too tough to modify. There should be a custom stat modifier module somewhere, use that (note that it starts filled with empty data which is just FF (all 1's in binary), so you need to change everything at least to 0's) note down the pointer you're filling data in, and change the Dragonstone to point at it.

As for supports, they're fairly slow. 5* tactics is around 260-310 turns depending on route and mode, but I wouldn't aim to make supports all finished in that amount of time. Rather, boost the speed of slow supports (I'd make everything a +2 support, and most characters joining after chapter 20 +3 supports), and also boost lategame characters to significantly higher amounts. In return, I'd consider weakening the effects of supports if you have the module to do so - something like FE9's effects or perhaps a little better, in return for slightly faster supports.

Yeah, it worked, now I just have to make another fire dragon to use for that one scene.

And with the supports, I was planning on having them be staggered, though if the character I have for the Renault character may not have supports, depending on what happens, need to figure it out.

Thanks for the help, I Eat Tables.

Okay I have a few more questions.

With disabling the tutorial, according to the awesome ultimate tutorial, I'm supposed to put DISABLE_TUTORIALS in it then assemble, am I supposed to do something else first, such as define it, and if so what do I need to do to definite it?

Also with Mappy, for some reason it seem to not want to import the map tiles that came with it, though it does import other .png and .bmp files.  And it had been importing the tiles earlier, so does that mean I should try re-unzipping the files again?

Lastly, fog effects, I did not see how to set weather to fog in nightmare, do I need to do something with assembly, or does it just work when I set the vision distance?

Lesse...

For the tutorials, put this as the very first line in your events: #define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

Mappy I have no clue.

For fog effects, you can go into the Chapter Data Editor, and where it says "Fog vision distance" or something or other, put a non-zero number.

Lesse...

For the tutorials, put this as the very first line in your events: #define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

Mappy I have no clue.

For fog effects, you can go into the Chapter Data Editor, and where it says "Fog vision distance" or something or other, put a non-zero number.

Okay when putting in #define DISABLE_TUTORIALS in and reassembling it with event assembler showed no errors but, when I started the game, the tutorials were there.  I attached my .txt file in case I did something stupid and not put it far enough up.

Thanks about the fog vision help.

My Prologue.txt

I think the problem is that you need to insert "#include EAstlib.event" (without quotations, obviously) after the disable tutorials line.

Thanks that worked.

Edit: Also figured out what the problem with Mappy was PEBCAC. *heads desk*

Edited by Flux_Blade

Well since I love double post in my own topic I have another question about something I think I'm not doing wrong.

In Feditor Advance Portrait Editor, I am trying to post a portrait, but for some reason it doesn't seem to stick for one position. I can put it anywhere else, and I have before insert a portrait, but I was trying to fix something. Does this mean I did something to the ROM?

By the logic of the title, you know more about the hack than we do, so why ask us about your own hack? :P

For your most recent problem, could you be a bit more clear? Do you mean that the portrait can be inserted over any slot EXCEPT for one slot? Because sometimes that happens and it's easier to just not use that slot, really...

By the logic of the title, you know more about the hack than we do, so why ask us about your own hack? :P

For your most recent problem, could you be a bit more clear? Do you mean that the portrait can be inserted over any slot EXCEPT for one slot? Because sometimes that happens and it's easier to just not use that slot, really...

Fair point.

Okay, the slot I have been using I had been able to upload a portrait to the slot and replace it.  Then about three days ago, when I attempted to put a new portrait in, the editor would load it from file, I would push save, then when I went to another portrait and then back to it, it had the older portrait.  Yes, I am able to upload the portrait and save it in an another slot.  Okay, so just ignore that slot then, thanks for the help Blazer, also your tutorial has been very helpful, thank you for making it.

^

Did you save the ROM after doing the changes? You must save both portrait AND Rom for it to work. I already heard of the same problem and that was the problem.

Thanks for the idea, I did try that and for some reason it did not work.  I got 'lucky' in the fact my hack got messed up and wouldn't load in FeAdvance so I had to revert to an older copy where the problem did not exist.  Oh well, now just have to see if inserting the map this time won't cause the problem.

Okay, I have another problem, surprise, surprise.

I was uploading a map to replace one of the chapter maps using Markyjoe1990's map insertion tutorial and inserted the map at the end of the ROM, then changed the pointer to the map.  It works, the game works, which is great.  The problem is, when I try to open the ROM in Feditor Adv, it gives me the following message,

"There was an error processing one or more file streams."

Since I obviously have not finished working on the text and my googling of errors in Feditor has not found anything, I was wondering if anyone had an idea what is causing this.

• 1 month later...

There's a way to determine its length based on its dimensions while it is uncompressed, there is a way to determine the size it will actually be in the ROM where it is expected to be compressed by running a much more complicated algorithm over the map data, and there is no need to know this information because the size of the map is negligible if you implement whatever map you're trying to add correctly with the tools and techniques readily available and documented.

Edited by XxXevisceratedgoddessxXx

There's away to determine its length based on its dimensions while it is uncompressed, there is a way to determine the size it will actually be in the ROM where it is expected to be compressed by running a much more complicated algorithm over the map data, and there is no need to know this information because the size of the map is negligible if you implement whatever map you're trying to add correctly with the tools and techniques readily available and documented.

Sorry I need to be more clear about why I wish to know. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

I know that it can work it is more so that when I insert another map I don't accidentally overwrite the first map and since FEditor Adv stops working for me on the ROM if insert at the end, I can't just do that. Or rather a general idea how much space I should skip for the next offset.

Dude, when you open FEditor it has a hex editor right in front of you. Just pick the map file and use FEditor to write it. Did you even read the doc? You will have absolutely no problems if you use FEditor the way you're supposed to.

Edited by XxXevisceratedgoddessxXx

• 1 month later...

Well I have another difficulty that has come up. On my new laptop, when I try to load a nightmare module, after choosing a file, the window comes up, but it appears as all white. The roms pick do work on other computers in nightmare. I do have java on the computer as FEditor Advance works properly. I have also tried redownloading the modules from feshrine. Is there something I missed to do, is more information about my computer needed, or am I out of luck using that computer for this.

^How would that help, I wonder o_O

If NM2.0 isn't working, the easiest (but not best) solution would be to just downgrade (as bad as that is >_>) to the original Nightmare, which is less likely to have problems. :\

So, if I do downgrade but have used Nightmare 2.0 on other computers to edit it before, will they work against each other or should that be fine?

Edit: See that my question is silly so go ahead and ignore. Nightmare original works, thanks Luffy and thanks again for the help Camtech086.

Edited by Flux_Blade