most over rated/ under rated video game

Oujay

Underrated: Smackdown vs Raw 2010. You can have so much fun with this game its unreal.

Overrated: Mordern Warfare 2. With an horrendously unbalanced multiplayer, boring spec ops missions and an easy campaign, to get 10/10 is utterly ridiculous.

Dishonourable mention goes to LoZ: Twilight Princess for being rated on teh same scale as SMG by many magazines (Ngamer, I'm looking at you). Also, Halo:Reach, but to a far smaller extent.

I don't like using the words "overrated and "underrated" for things like this, but my biased choices would be:

Over: Super Mario Galaxy

Under: Hm...I don't think I've played a lot of games that weren't well-received that I ended up really liking, so this is tough. I guess it could be any of Radiant Dawn, Zelda: The Windwaker, and Super Mario Sunshine.

ITT: Everybody says FF7 is the MOST OVERRATED GAME OF ALL TIME to look cool.

Now that I think about it, the "FF7 is overrated" anti-fanbase is so widespread it probably nullifies the "FF7 is the best RPG ever" fanbase, to the point one could possibly claim it's underrated nowadays. It's a good game with a boring midgame and a huge hype backlash, after all.

But of course, I don't go to the trash cans of the internet, so I don't really know the current status of its fanbase.

Edited by TheEnd

Overrated? Bioshock. Sure, the story was great, but the gameplay was tepid.

Underrated? Was gonna say Avernum, but now I'll just say Myth II. Bungie's best game, possibly matched or beaten by Marathon/Pathways into Darkness.

Edited by Furetchen

Overrated? Bioshock. Sure, the story was great, but the gameplay was tepid.

I enjoyed Bioshock, you've got to remember that all it was trying to do was emulate System shock 2, the gameplay was not that great yeah but the atmosphere was done well.

as for me:

Overrated: Minecraft there is no other answer. seriously the game is not that great, it's fun for about 20 minuets and then you remember there are so many other games where you can build things.

Underrated: Mount and Blade and anything by Paradox really.

Underrated: Mount and Blade and anything by Paradox really.

Mount and Blade was fucking awesome. A Turkish couple made a game better than most companies. Dunno about underrated, though, never seen anyone dislike it.

But Paradox fucked up Majesty 2. Always remember that.

Edited by Furetchen

ITT: Everybody says FF7 is the MOST OVERRATED GAME OF ALL TIME to look cool.

Ocarina of Time is the most overrated if you ask me. FF7 suffers from enough hate, dislike, and indifference whereas these is less common with OoT.

Most underrated? Too many to decide on one....

Edited by Radeon

Mount and Blade was fucking awesome. A Turkish couple made a game better than most companies. Dunno about underrated, though, never seen anyone dislike it.

But Paradox fucked up Majesty 2. Always remember that.

Trust me, there are people who dislike it. I don't know why.

I diden't mind Majesty 2, it wasen't as good as the first but it was still a good game on it's own.

I don't know if I'd call it the most underrated game, but I think Suikoden Tierkreis definitely ranks in the underrated category. I thought it was a really good JRPG despite its departure from the main series, and I thought some of the changes to the usual formula were for the better. And speaking of Suikoden, I think Suikoden Tactics is also a bit underrated. This one is much more deserving of the flak it gets, but I think it's a solid turn-based strategy RPG if you look past the mediocre storytelling and focus on the gameplay.

As for overrated... Ocarina of Time comes to mind, but I can't think of a good explanation why it is.

I don't like using the words "overrated and "underrated" for things like this

Me neither, to be honest, but if I had to say...

The most? God Hand.

For underrated, definitely. Then again, this issue...

Okami isn't really underrated, it's just not well-known. Most of the people who've played it agree that it was a great game.

...is brought up. Funny how both were made by Clover.

So if I had to say an actually underrated game, I guess Breath of Fire III comes to mind. Some cool people like it, others say it's boring or whatever, but they're definitely (objectively) wrong. As for overrated, I guess I'll go with Musashi and say Ocarina of Time.

Overrated? Halo most certainly. While fun in multiplayer, that's not exactly a hard task with an FPS. Goldeneye 64 is still more fun, and it controls in such an archaic fashion compared to current games. Seriously, what happened to the days I could turn on the OHKO and make the only weapon available Throwing Knives?

Honorable Mentions go to Ocarina of Time. I can at least skip the non-game parts in Twilight Princess. That, and it takes forever to get from one place to another. Again, at least in TP you get Epona reletively early. I cut it slack though, cause it has great music and atmosphere.

Underrated? Well, I would state Okami, but Red Fox of Fire brought up a good point with that one. I also happen to be one of those people that think the Mother series is badly overhyped by it's fanbase. Doesn't exactly leave me with many options, does it?

Hmm...Mystical Ninja, Starring Goemon. It's a 64 game, and while not hard is still fun and light hearted. It's the comic relief of zelda rip-offs.

Is there any distinguishing here between overrated and overhyped? I ask this because I keep seeing Ocarina of Time being mentioned, which I wouldn't say is overrated at all but may very well just be overhyped. It certainly was great in its time with what it did and remains very fun today. The fanbase for it can obviously be annoying, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong; it just means they need to shut up.

In the end, it's probably a case of "I didn't like it so much, and since my opinion > everyone else's it's overrated." And that's why I hate the word when used in such subjective ways.