New to hacking, looking for useful things

Inactive Account

Oh god. Pokemon games are...weird. The newer ones encrypt stuff or do some other weird anti-hacking business if I recall, though that's probably not relevant if you're doing a ROM hack. If you are, then if it's for one of the newer ones you should be able to extract the game into a file system format with everything all organized, which would basically mean the game will hack itself for you.

The old ones are just plain messy to work with, though this may also be irrelevant because the sloppiness might only be present in the RAM layout...

• 3 weeks later...

Pokecommunity has a bunch of stuff and can help you a lot, you just have to spend time looking through to find what you need.

Typically people get the "Advance" programs (AdvanceMap, AdvanceText, AdvanceTools) along with a script editor (such as PokeScript or YAPE) although the latter is a bit difficult (script editors edit "events", not text scripts).

In general there are a lot more programs than there are for Fire Emblem and probably more people to help you/be familiar with hacking, but it takes longer. But overall it's easier IMO.

Pokecommunity has a bunch of stuff and can help you a lot, you just have to spend time looking through to find what you need.

Typically people get the "Advance" programs (AdvanceMap, AdvanceText, AdvanceTools) along with a script editor (such as PokeScript or YAPE) although the latter is a bit difficult (script editors edit "events", not text scripts).

In general there are a lot more programs than there are for Fire Emblem and probably more people to help you/be familiar with hacking, but it takes longer. But overall it's easier IMO.

I'm not sure why but I was somewhat amazed to see that you knew so much on the subject. Then again, I should have known. Hackers are usually universal. XD

• 2 weeks later...