My parents think forgetting is impossible

Darros

Seriously, whenever I forget something they tell me forgetting is impossivle. You either do or you don't. So they think I'm lazy and uncaring. It's freaking annoying.

You guys think forgetting exists, right?

Getting a really one-sided vibe here. Probably because "I forgot" is a common excuse used with my family.

Me: Can you take the rubbish out

Sister: Okay......

~30 minutes later

Me: You still haven't done it

Sister: I'll do it, get off my case already

~Day later~

Me: You didn't take the rubbish out did you?

Sister: I forgot~

Me: You're an idiot

Sister: I'm an idiot so you shouldn't ask me to do things then.

That's not forgetting, that's pure idiocy. I can accept once or twice, but when it gets repetitive I think I can safely assume she's just lazy bitch and isn't actually forgetting. I think this is what your parents are getting at. Since no one I've met is stupid enough to state forget=impossible. You could just easily reverse it with, "So you've never forgotten anything in your life?"

Sounds a bit childish I know, but if you live with them, you can probably pick out a case or two, or many where they've forgotten something.

In the case of my sister, she should have taken the rubbish out the first time I asked her. And by not doing so, she created the opportunity to forget. And in such cases blame lies solely with her. It's like arguing, "I forgot to extinguish my cigarette on a hot summers day, it's not my fault the neighborhood is up in flames"

Seriously, whenever I forget something they tell me forgetting is impossivle. You either do or you don't. So they think I'm lazy and uncaring. It's freaking annoying.

Tell your parents that they are fucking stupid and that you are running away to India.

Rubbish=/=Garbage

Also, I keep noticing that you keep turning FFtF Into your own Diary.

This is General not FFtF

Well where else do I have to post random crap?

I suck at legit spam topics.

Tell them to recall what they ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the day of June 15, 1975.

Obviously just too lazy to remember, I guess.

Happens with me all the time. They say i should stop living on cloud 9, but then again its almost impossible for me to do that. I'll forget it. :P

It makes me sometimes though. For example somebody calls my brother and he's not home. I tell him, but he doesn't call back. Guess what his excuse is. My brother didn't tell me, he never pays attention.

They are technically correct: it's impossible to erase anything from your memory completely.

But they're still wrong.

I'm...not sure that's true. I took an introduction to psych course a couple years ago and according to the textbook in that class (don't remember the author) the question isn't resolved. According to wikipedia, memory loss from aging, such as Alzheimer's, is permanent.

Then there's also the question of whether removing someone's brain and burning it till it melts would count as "erasing" a memory.

The subconcious mind records and stores any information that it runs across, so if we are to look at the human as a whole, nothing is forgotten. However, what your concious mind can access is an entirely different story. Not to mention that we're teenagers, meaning that the procees of growth further inhibits ones concious memory.

Edited by Sophius

Since I don't know where my Super Smash Bros: Melee disc is, yes, forgetting is possible. And something I do quite a lot...

Awesome. I forgot where my Pokemon Yellow, Ham-Hams Unite and FE Sacred Stones carts went

The subconcious mind records and stores any information that it runs across, so if we are to look at the human as a whole, nothing is forgotten. However, what your concious mind can access is an entirely different story. Not to mention that we're teenagers, meaning that the procees of growth further inhibits ones concious memory.

Again, in case you weren't able to read the post above mine, it's debatable.

They are technically correct: it's impossible to erase anything from your memory completely.

But they're still wrong.

Not according to my psychology textbook. Forgetting is one of the 7 sins of memory.

Plus what about amnesia and those cases of severe short term memory loss?

• 2 months later...