Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

"All right... one more person maybe?" Kelas asked, nodding to acknowledge Altion. "Then we can work out who's on watch when, and people can still get some rest."

---------------------------------------

"I agree," Arrin replied. "I'm... not sure what we could have done earlier, but there's got to be something that would have... would have been better." He sighed. "I wish there were some way to convince them that they don't need to kill us..."

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Ixion and Mana were discussing the morality of Howard`s existence, Damian noticed the issue eventually shifted to his own situation.

"I appreciate your concern, Headmaster, however, the issue is inevitable. People take advantage of people, use them to their own ends, and then ignore them. It is the world we live in, unfortunately. However, we carry on, and make due with the world as it is, for that is all we can do. I knew this when I approached Ixion. He does this not for my sake, but for his own. He has his motives for assisting, and I cannot claim to know what they are, however, they allow us both to advance further towards our own goals, so there is no reason for us not to cooperate. My safety in the matter is my own concern, and not something I can expect him to worry about, he has no reason to. Regardless, were it in his agenda to see me harmed, he has had ample opportunity to make it so, and has not acted upon them. When I lost myself, he would have been perfectly justified in striking harder, potentially killing me, but he chose not to. That tells me he at the very least means me no personal ill will." Damian said solemnly, his reflection on the current human affairs of the world far from pleasant.

"But that is how it is, how humans are. Perhaps it is your spiritual heritage that allows you such compassion... I cannot deny I find such a thing admirable, Headmaster. However, at this late juncture, there is no reason not to see this through to it's conclusion." Damian finished.

The Crimson Brigade had abandoned the area of the battle with the reformist Templars, and had relocated to a relatively nearby spot to set up camp, though out of sight of the wasteland of graves.

Aiya looked over the Captain's crest with glee, the refreshing turn of good news lifting her spirits from the not as proverbial as would be preferred gutter.

Spotting Tessa nearby, Aiya approached the Valkyrie happily.

"Hey Tessa, I wanted to talk to you." Aiya said cheerfully.

Sitting down next to the Valkyrie, Aiya turned back to face her.

"I don't know what it is you did, Tessa. But, you saved me. I don't know... why The Lady wished me to accompany her... but you were able to convince her to give me more time here... you are truly amazing, you know that?" Aiya said thankfully, grasping Tessa's hand between her own.

"However you saved me... I just want to thank you, Tessa." Aiya concluded, smiling brightly at Tessa.

"They don't appear to be retaliating, General." Major General Raul reported, causing a grimace to adorn Roartz face.

"I wonder what they are playing at? Do they simply not have the means to strike back at this distance, or are they plotting something... Wyvern riders, skirt along the edge of their ballista range, and scout out the area. Only send two squads though, we don't want to leave our main camp undefended from the air." Roartz ordered, as several Wyvern riders took flight to follow his command.

Kiera snorted with annoyance at the now far less exciting city of Burgosas.

"Damn... this place is droll when there is no civil war going on... all I wanted was to smash a couple skulls, was that too much to ask?" Kiera said with derision, kicking a stone as she spat upon the ground. The clang of stone on metal caught her ear, as did the sounds of several muffled "Fuck."'s, all within several seconds of one another.

Coming upon the Loyalists hiding out in the alleyways, Kiera smirked with joy.

"Finally, time for some fun... hahaha!" She leapt at the closest Septimian soldier, her axe cleaving his helmet in half, and sending the gray matter of his skull splattering to the ground.

'The wondrous sound of bones snapping...'

Her axe caught another man in the stomach, and with a mighty heave, Kiera ripped his intestines from his body, laughing as the blood spurted from him, covering both her and his comrades.

'... of blood flying every which way... of organs falling to the ground, useless...'

Kiera's hand lashed out, grasping the man's thigh tightly. twisting him about violently, the man looked about, bewildered, as he was pushed to the ground and his legs spread...

His face blanched white, and a distinctly feminine scream cut through the air as Kiera brought her axe down violently into the man's groin, lashing out repeatedly with the sharp and heavy weapon until blood loss killed the man.

"No more? Stupid bastards, why'd they have to die so quickly?" Kiera grimaced, walking out of the alleyway covered with the blood of the Septimian loyalists.

Ixion

Ixion: Interesting. I doubt you would have given such an inspired lecture had the subject been feces or something of that nature.

Damian's imput got a faint shrug from Ixion.

Ixion: Well Damian has said ... almost everything I would have said about the current situation. Speaking of which, it isn't yet that late at night. Perhaps we should get back to work.

Stephanie: Umm (Oh goodness. What about that woman? She's waiting in the office I believe. Does he know already, or should I tell him?)

The Go'head

Meanwhile in Anglenar, the battle waged on. At TISME, word had just arrived from Ilyphina via instantaneous transmission. One of the interpreters quickly recited aloud.

Mage: To quell the raging chaos engulfing the countries, we have been authorized to assist the Septimian front. However, we are not to participate in any offensive operations at this time.

Battle Preparations

"So, these shields appear to block magical energy, as well as their normal function of blocking more mundane weaponry. Considering their size, I imagine they could be used to absorb any sort of breath weapon Helenos may use against us. Therefore, people capable of using the shields should probably lead the charge so that they can absorb the blasts and leave the rest of us unharmed." Morgan theorized out loud.

To Know One's Enemy

"Oh, you mean the town with this demon dragon? I forget sometimes that Jace was one of the heroes that originally saved us from the demons. It seems...strange to me, that he would save so many lives just to end others in the future for his own ends. I really do not understand him at all." Charlotte replied to Derek.

Of Stars and Music

"No, it's not boring at all." Tristan said quickly, continuing to sit. "My mother is so different, she never saw much use in things like constellations or harp playing. She was always more concerned with tax laws and trade tariffs and other things of the "real world". Personally I think that is the things we do not truly understand, like music or the stars, that make us human. What is humanity without beautiful things really?" Tristan said, looking up at the sky.

"Left? Where did she go, if you don't mind me asking?" Tristan said, looking over at Alex.

And When the Mages Come Marching In

"Very well, if Elyisima wishes for us to defend ourselves, then so be it. Circle threes and fours, please follow me to the Astronomy Tower, ones and twos reutrn to your dormitories." Diane briskly walked up the stairs to the tallest tower, students following behind her. Diane looked through a telescope normally reserved for examining constellations and saw wyvern riders hovering a ways outside the city. Carefully, she took out her Bolting tome and made a quick calculation regarding the distance between herself and the target. A bolt of lightning appeared out of the once clear sky and struck one of the wyverns, sending the creature crashing down to the ground.

"Everyone get on a telescope and do as I had just demonstrated. Be very cautious about striking anyone that is not from Halton." Diane ordered, preparing to continue the assault.

"It's not my spirit nature Damian. It's my human nature that allows me such sympathy, and my spirit nature that keeps me from ripping out everyones throats. Human and spirit have such a... interesting way of mingling in the same body. It's like oil and water, where the water is the oil and the oil is water. It's like being stuck, with the human able to see only one dimension, and the spirit three; but with me being somewhere in the middle. Not two dimensions, but rather one and a half. Either way, it doesn't matter right now."

She gave a small sigh as she looked up towards the heavens. "I hope everyone is fine." she mumbled quietly. Then, with a gentle turn and swirl of wing and feather, she turned about to head inside. "I need to rest."

---

As the stillness of the night settled in about her, Esphyr gave a small sigh. She felt... different. Relaxed. Rolling over to look at a buttercup, she gave a soft smile. Though the flower was curled up, sleeping the night away, she could see its bright yellow leaves unfurled in her mind, the sleek feel of its petals between her fingers, and its fragrance surrounding her. It felt as if she had not rested for a decade, and this was her first chance to lie down.

A chance to lie down that was soon marked by the gentle rumble of her stomach. Sitting upright, she stood up and headed towards the others, rubbing her belly.

"Hey Alf." she said as she passed by the man. She had not forgotten the mans earlier fight with Aiya, but had decided that it was none of her buisiness anyways. Getting some food for herself, she sat down beside the man. "Hey? You been alright big guy? I mean we've been fighting hard of late."

"Huh? Oh hi Esphyr," said Alf, sitting up. "Yeah I'm a little tired but I can take a lot. Don't worry about me. I'm really glad to see you're doing a lot better. Those knights were capable and were really in it for you guys. Honestly, it's a miracle we're still in one piece.

I'm a lot more worried about the rot dragon though. I heard she's probably in the next town we're heading to, so if that's true, I want to know more about the dragon so I can help out when we fight."

Levski

Lev: Well at least we know they work. As for shield holders ... I've been keeping both of them up til now already. I suppose I could wield one of them during the battle. That'll free up some of the offensive units. (Damn, woman can shoot.)

Harvey

Seeing the first wyvern rider fall by a bolting strike, the snipers all looked at each other smiling with a bit of confidence. It seemed that TISME was going to assist them after all.

Harvey: Alright then. Looks like things aren't as grim as they first seemed. (Damn, woman can shoot.)

Ixion

As Mana turned to leave Howard began to follow only to stop cold due to a small hand gesture from Ixion.

Ixion: You know where your quarters are ... Howard.

The minotaur blankly acknowledged and began wandering off in another direction.

Ixion: Damian, come with me. You aren't going to overcome that lance while standing out in the dark. Stephanie I also advise you to find a place to rest as well. There should be at least one available guest room in the manse.

Stephanie: I suppose but ...

Foe

"...None of the heroes really seemed to be anything like what they say in the legends," Derek remarked, with disgust. "Percy is a glutton, Harold, a philanderer, Naelia is an anarchist, Kaileen is evidently not competent, and we are already aware of Jace. It seemed Bethold was the only decent hero, yet, he made the Crimson Weapons. And look how his son turned out. I cannot understand how they managed to seal the Lord in the first place..."

Missing Mom

"She must have been preparing you to take the crown by educating you about those 'real world' matters," Alex noted, still dismal about the failure to defend Burgosas. "I suppose I was lucky to have a father who valued both. Anyways, she left one day, along with my younger brother, and neither I nor my father have seen them since. I later learned that she was visiting her brother, my late uncle, and just disappeared. It seemed to have been an ambush, from what my father has said. And that was that. Or so I thought.

'About a year ago, during the invasion, My unit passed through a ruined village, just off the edge of Rielle. I happened across the graveyard, and there it was. A headstone, unique in that my mother's name was engraved on it, and her sword, Dyrnwyn, placed beside it. It seemed that she had died a few years before the village was massacred, of illness. My brother had probably died when the bandits came, or all those years back when they initially attacked Mother.

'But, that man...," Alex began, troubled. "That man... was wielding Dyrnwyn. It was the exact same as the portraits back home... I wonder, why did he have it? I suppose it matters not, however..."

Reminiscence

It had been a few hours after the battle, and neither survivor had talked since getting away. Henry was in a pensive mood, now. The man kept replaying the battle in his head over and over again. They had underestimated the enemy, clearly, since even Althea fell. He had been laid low by his own ignorance, allowing himself to be surprised by that wyvern rider... The man was distracted, as a band he never knew he wore was glowing faintly, perhaps in reaction with the magic used in battle. Curious, Henry removed it from his finger, and held it up...

...And the scene changed. It was a clear night, and the golden gleam of the simple ring was reflected off of the moonlight. A different, more slender hand was holding it up, and Henry's eyes moved down to it's source: a woman with fair skin, long auburn hair, and sad auburn eyes.

"I want you to have this ...," she said, lowering the ring and moving it towards Henry. "It is the ring I received... Passed down through my family for centuries...," he missed what else she said, as right then, the woman smiled. It was like another light had entered the world, one that even the moon was dwarfed by. Such beauty! The swordsman had to struggle, to keep focused, as his companion finished. "It is a token of my... gratitude."

"I...Thank you, for your gift...," his voice said, as Henry accepted the ring. He paused, then asked a question. "... Tell me, what do you think a happy ending would be...?"

"I want our land restored. ... just back to the way it was. And," The maiden paused, as if nervous. ""I cannot imagine a happy ending...without you... Will you stay by my side after all this is over?"

"... As long as you need, or want me..., I shall be by your side...," Henry replied, kneeling. After a few moments, he got up and embraced the woman he loved. And all was well that night.

---

The darkness returned, making Henry snap back to reality. It had seemed that they were approaching Ursibus. Reminiscing could wait.

Alternative

"On the other hand," Ruby said, "If we let them deal with Helenos, we can come in and mop the wielders up. Our ally told me that they have a dragon slayer, so,

if we wait, two factions eliminated, one assault. As for that 'squishy old man' of yours, he's the Grand Cleric, Rocky. He could blast you to dust without so much as lifting a finger. If we assassinate him, divine intervention is all but nullified.

Edited by Snike

OOC: My laptop kind of... blew up today. The fan gave out and the thing started to overheat. It's in for repairs ATM. I'm sharing the desktop with my parents ATM, so posting is limited until they get back.

IC: "A rot dragon?" Esphyr's eyes raised in slight shock at the notion as her mind milled over what such a beast could be. Then, a grim realization slid over her as she recalled the swamp assault. The horrific monster that had towered over them and tossed them aside with overall ease; and the swarm of leeches that had accompanied her. A wave of goosebumps rippled over her flesh as she shivered in fear. "A rot dragon. You mean that Helen girl." she said, twitching slightly as the phantom maws of the tiny monsters seemed to trickle over her skin. "That Helen girl and her leeches. I remember her well enough. I don't think I will ever forget what happened the first time we met." she gave a small sigh before glancing down at her sword. "And I was in a good mood not two minutes ago too... Ah well... Do you think we can even kill a beast like that?"

Heh, Arrin really is a good boy, Tessa thought to herself as the mage had agreed with her sentiments regarding the afternoon's engagement. Nothing like my dream. He didn't want revenge at all, not really. Relaxing a bit, she leaned back, intending to just let herself coast into a warm pleasant sensation, when she was surprised to find that her heart had started racing a little, and she'd started to feel a little bit tingly. It was almost like those times she'd discussed with Morgan, except she wasn't feeling nervous or flustered at all. Well, at least she hadn't been until she suddenly started analyzing things, trying to pin down exactly what sort of emotion it might be that was responsible...

As chance would have it though, an interruption took her away from her introspections before she had a chance to go too far along them. Aiya had cheerfully approached the campfire, taking a seat next to Tessa and clasped her hand in gratitude. The redhead went on to thank her repeatedly, almost lavishing her in praise, and the healer's emotions rapidly shifted: away from... whatever it was she had been feeling into a strange mixture of embarrassment and guilt. And what was worse was that she was tongue-tied. How could she tell Aiya that she was the cause of the failed healing in the first place? How could she break the faith and confidence the other woman was simply glowing with? But she couldn't simply accept this undeserved praise either...

"Ahhh. Aiya, you don't need to... I mean, I didn't really..." she lowered her gaze. Both of the other woman's hands were firmly surrounding her own small hand, and Tessa mumbled vaguely for a moment, "...probably could have done a better job," before turning her gaze back up, to look her in the face and try to properly explain things. As she did so however, her eyes caught the glint of firelight off of the fresh new crest. Unlike Aiya's old, worn one Tessa actually recognized this one. Without thinking, she blurted out in surprise, pointing with her free hand, "That's just like the badge Sir Dustin had!"

"I...don't know. I've never seen a real dragon before, just heard about them in stories. So I don't know if we'll win but I don't think there's much else we can do."

Whispering deathly quiet in her ear, Alf added something as well.

"Besides, the dragon might be in cahoots with the demons who severed Reika, so I might be able to get the daggers back. And if it's true, I'll never forgive myself if I don't at least try to get them back for her."

Morgan

Morgan nodded. "That should work. Some of the others should use shields as well, though I do not know if they can fight as well with them. Our group seems not to use shields very often, seems odd to me given their obvious utility." she said to Lev.

Charlotte

"For heroes, they really aren't very heroic, are they? I suppose our group isn't too different though, looking at the Crimson Weapon wielders. Esphyr's a heartless mercenary, Reika's a bandit, Morgan's not even human I think...I guess it is hard to find true heroes in this world." Charlotte said sadly.

Tristan

"I'm...sorry about your mother and brother dying." Tristan said, not sure of what to do really. "But if that man has your mother's sword, that probably means he took it from her grave. That's an awfully rotten thing to do." he said to Alex.

Petros

"Hmm, perhaps you have a point. The stronger the Lord of Azure Flame becomes, the stronger the Goddess becomes. Eliminating those who can channel her power may prove useful. Perhaps we should let Helenos and the wielders deal with each other for now." he said, placing his hand on his chin.

As soon as Alf's words passed from his mouth and into Esphyr's lips, the mercenaries eyes went wide. Realization swept over her as, within her mind, a connection was suddenly forged between two facts. Though related, Esphyr had not thought to connect them until now. Not until Alf had mentioned the link with the demons.

"Alf! Helen! Demons! DraGOn! gAh!" she stumbled over her own words as she suddenly bolted upright, sending her food toppling to the group. Yet, she did not seem to notice it, as she turned around and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Crimson weapons! Demons! Demons want the weapons. Weapons for the rot dragon! ALF!" she screamed as loud as she could. "THERE WERE THREE LIEUTENANTS UNDER THE COMMAND OF THE LORD! ONE OF THEM WAS HELENOS! SHE WAS A DRAGON! HELEN! HELENOS! She wants the weapons to free her master! To shatter the Fire Emblem!"

"C-calm down Esphyr," said Alf, filled with dismay at the woman's hysterics. The dragon, Helenos, apparently was a lieutenant of the Lord of Azure Flame. That was...disheartening to say the least. If she was that powerful then, he'd probably die. He knew it would likely happen but now it was fairly certain. Before he wanted to die, but not anymore. It was best if he lived.

The demons were serving the rot dragon? That was very good then. Assuming Esphyr was correct of course. That would mean the dragon would probably have Calamity and that would mean he could save Reika sooner.

"Esphyr. It's ok. I'm going to be fine. You're probably just tired. You should go get some rest," he said soothingly, patting her on the shoulder.

Still, what is the Fire Emblem?

Edited by Dark Sage

"Oi, hush, someone'll hear you," Kelas called over to Esphyr. "I guess nobody else is volunteering for watch? Whoever else is helping should probably get some rest now, I'll wake you up in a few hours," she added. "Or is nobody actually going to sleep yet?"

---------------------------------------

Tobe saw that the others were getting ready to sleep... supposedly. Well, they probably wouldn't let him in the tent with him. He headed for the carriage, to see whether he could sleep there: no, the healer boy was asleep inside. Bothering a noble would be a bad idea. Tobe headed back to the horses he'd befriended, making a sort of nest out of saddle blankets and curling up while they dozed or grazed. Eventually he fell asleep, shivering a bit.

"Yeah, him and Fargo and now Alferis," Kelas replied. "Wasn't sure three was enough, but four should be all right. ...Unless you want to help also?" She wasn't really sure how effective Esphyr would be on watch on her own, but if Esphyr and one more person volunteered, maybe they could put two people on each shift.

Pary:

Pary heard Kelas and Esphyr talking. He stopped to speak. "No worries. I shall go. I'm sure you will all feel much safer with me around. I know how you all must feel not having a trained healer on watch. And I'm sure bandits are just roaming the woods or maybe this very campsite. Those ruffians are just waiting to cut us down. I'm sure I can set you all at ease. I shall calm your nerves and go." Pary wandered off to collect firewood for the watch that night.

"No!" Esphyr's voice was quick and firm, decisively cutting off Pary's volunteering of watch duty for the night. Though she could not outright blame the man for any wrong-doing, a person like him was not the sort of person she wanted watching her while she slept. Firstly he would likely make off with her purse. Secondly, he was the sort of person to kill people in their sleep in Esphyr's mind. Not to mention that, if anything happened, he would be a easy and soft target. "Kelas! I'll go in his place; but the only way I would trust him with the midnight watch is if you stayed up with a arrow to his back. I'll go in his place and keep watch for the night."

Pary:

Pary returned, arms full of logs. "No matter. I'm sure I'm a much better choice. My light magic will help to illuminate dark areas of the woods. Demon infused swords guarding you are hardly something that makes one feel safe sleeping. A holy man, a divine angel. I shall keep us safe."

"If you can even be called holy," Alf muttered under his breath. "Anyway we have a lot of people on watch already. You two should go get some rest. Probably going to be a really big day tomorrow and we're going to need you guys at full strength." The rest he finished in a louder register.

"Maybe I should take first watch with someone."

Heroes

"That it is, Your Highness," Derek said, with a tinge of frustration in his voice. "But, we still should act nobly, despite others' behaviour. That is what I believe, anyways." Right then, Esphyr freaked out, not surprising in the time the cavalier knew her.

"Some people...," he said, sighing. "Regardless, you should get some rest, Princess."

Grave Thieves

"Rotten is an understatement," Alex noted, disgusted with the notion. "Well, I suppose I shall have to retrieve it from him the next time I see him... Thank you, Prince, but, it did not affect me too much. I lost Mother the day she left, two decades ago... It's getting late. If you'll excuse me...," the general finished, before stepping a good ways away from thee rest of the group, to begin to set up her sleeping area.

OOC: Recap to present time. Heinz didn't notice Tessa healing Althea, too busy looking around. Ralf was also fairly distant from the battle, took awhile for him to walk there and back.

Seeing the troubadour charge at the valkyrie, Heinz blinked in surprise when the wyrmslayer hit, sending the woman crashing into the ground. She's gotten stronger, he mused, relaxing his shoulders and taking a glance around the battlefield. Although she's still a healer at heart, deciding to find Ralf when Tessa frantically ran off to help the Halton soldier, staff in hand. Was she upset over the templar's death? he wondered, removing his knife from the body. Walking over to his horse, Heinz quickly retrieved a vulnerary from the saddlebags and pressed it to his chest wound.

Heinz sank down onto the ground, frowning when he heard yelling in the distance. Figures, he thought, debating internally whether to go back and see what was going on or not. "....They can probably deal with it among themselves," he remarked dryly, turning slightly to the side and resting his head on his knees.

Walking back to where the majority of the group was after a little while, the mercenary noted the new arrival. Seems like the others don't care though, looking over the lad briefly. "But mercy is a fool's errand," he scowled, seeing another monk disappearing away out of the corner of his eye. His horse grazing on some nearby grass, Heinz mounted Ralf and left the battlefield with the rest of the party, figuring they would run into the reformists again eventually.

Arriving at the campsite some hours later, Heinz dismounted his horse, placing the tack and saddlebags to the side. Ladling some soup for himself, Heinz tuned out the other conversations going on around him as soon as he heard the fighter ask the thunder sage about magic. Severing? He looked up slightly. Probably worried about the thief, he guessed, continuing to eat.

Hearing a blast, Heinz finished his portion and stood up, placing his bowl on the ground. "I'll take second or third watch," addressing the nomad in passing. So Helenos wants the weapons for the Lord, eh? The thief stopped a few paces away from the wyvern lord and shaman. Magical shields? Not bad. "Will we be using these shields for the attack against Helenos?" he asked.

Edit: Minor grammar.

Edited by the_whistler