My sprites from me.

BlackShadow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't handle people telling you that they're bad, don't sprite.

Also

You should give their character art another look, or look at some screens of the battle models and try a little more than this.

I suggested something to do.

Edited by Amera

hauneen.png

Tell me what you think. XD

I like the design of this one. However, this sprite has the problem of two different outline shades: most of the sprite has FE8's (which is darker) while the hair and headband have FE7's (lighter). Fix the FE7 outline to be the same color as the FE8 shade (since you seem to be using FE8 colors). Above the headband there seem to be green dots above a red line. Make them dark red. Other those two, I noticed a few other problems:

blackshadowedit.png

Purple boxes: Need shading in these areas.

White box: The ear is a different set of skin shades (FE7) from the rest of the skin (which is FE8 skin tones).

Pink box: Looks like two sets of outlines here. Get rid of the bottom dots.

Pale blue box: Purple shades in the hair against the outline. Fix it to be the darkest hair shade.

Dark blue box: outline seems a bit odd in this area for the head. Make it straight and connected to the line to the left.

Green box: The chunk of hair here looks a bit odd.

Edited by Cymbeline

TBH, I'm a terrible judge at sprites...I was just stating my opinion.

Ask Astra, Seph, Lumi, etc. for actually opinions.

Ecut is really good at those types of sprites too.

Eee, I as mentioned! Thank you. :)

hauneen.png

I think that you are off to a good start, considering you have not being doing this for a long time.

My advice is to just try to fix some things up:

Gatrie:

The colour palette could be a bit lighter and a bit more vibrant but it isn't bad.

Gatrie is a tricky one since their is a large design gap between FE6-8 generals and FE9-10 generals.

I think that the best thing to do is make a shield to put in his hand, shorten the brown armour skirt things(I am not sure what they are called haha), take the trim off the breastplate and make some trim on it around the edges of it, and make the shoulder pads a bit smaller.

Mia:

There isn't too much to do with Mia without getting into new poses. All I can really see is giving the palette a bit more contrast and giving her long hair(normal myrmidon hair would suffice, though you can customize if you want) because she doesn't have a pony tail.

Tormod:

Probably the worst one. His colour palette is completely off(reference official artwork to see it), he is messy looking, and remember: Tormod is young so perhaps editing Ewan would be a better idea than the FE6 Sage.

Shinon:

My only problem is that Shinon has a short cape and not armour so you should probably edit the armour off and make a little bit of cape on him.

Jill:

The ponytail should be behind her and in front of the wing. At the moment it looks like she has a ponytail on the side of her head.

Also, Jill uses axes, not lances.

Ike:

I am not sure which Ike you are aiming for but I am assuming FE10.

If so, the problem is that his sword should not be on his shoulder and he is lacking his blue shoulder pad. It shouldn't be too hard to make that for him. His cape also is all red with no trim.

Volug:

Nothing I can say here, it is just a recolour.

Lucia:

Main problem is her colours; they're creamy atm.

Her colour is white so when making the palette use a relatively dark grey for the darkest shade, a light-medium grey for the middle shade, and an almost white for the lightest shade.

Tip: I find giving the grey a tint(I suggest blue for her) makes the colour much more interesting.

Rolf:

Rolf is fine but I do believe he has white armour, not brown, and he has a smaller bow than that.

---

I hope you find this helpful and keep on trying. :)

I suggested something to do.

Telling someone "look at character art more your sprites are bad" is pretty vague and hardly qualifies as constructive criticism. If you want examples of actual constructive criticism, look at what Ecut or Cymbeline said.

Yeah, artists should be able to take constructive criticism. But a lot of the comments on here aren't really constructive at all.

Telling someone "look at character art more your sprites are bad" is pretty vague and hardly qualifies as constructive criticism. If you want examples of actual constructive criticism, look at what Ecut or Cymbeline said.

Yeah, artists should be able to take constructive criticism. But a lot of the comments on here aren't really constructive at all.

I told him to go look at the game's character art and the game's battle models for a reference. How is that bad?

You're right. It's not concrit. But I never said I gave him any. I suggested something to make his sprites better, because it looks like he didn't even give the battle models or the art a single glance.

Edited by Amera

• 4 months later...

How am I a jerk

And here are my newest sprites

sammywanglen.png

From top: Lugh, Sue, Idoun, Idoun's Son Aedan, Sue again, Idoun colour change, Teodore, Old Sue, Shin type 1, Shin type 2.

And ote if you haven't already they are older. Leave comments please!

Actually, I really dig that Idoun, and Aedan is almost trap material!

I assume those scars from FE6's numerous battles.