Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 23: Rest and Resolve

Phoenix

Isotov

While Kelas shopped for replacements, Iso browsed around for things as well. Though he went to a very nearby coat seller. He didn't see anything he really wanted at first but the merchant soon spoke to him directly out of curiosity.

Merchant: Lookin for anything inparticular, son?

Iso: Hmm. Well I do need a replacement coat. The one I got from TISME's thrashed.

Merchant: Hm? You Zaftran, boy?

Iso: Yeah.

Merchant: Alright then, I just wanted to be sure. That's a faint accent you've got there; could barely tell. Now then I know just what you Zaftran's like. Somethin in all black should do just nicely.

The merchant quickly went back and began lifting up coats to get at others underneath while Iso watched. Iso tried to clarify his interests as the merchant spotted what he was looking for and began to raise back up with it in hand ready to display.

Iso: It doesn't have to be black. My last coat was re- ... whoa.

The coat was long, black, and elaborately decorated in various places. The young sage couldn't help but marvel at it for a moment.

Merchant: I know that look, son. I'm willin to work with ya if you're interested, and don't be fooled. This coat's good for bad weather despite the fancy trimming.

Iso: Um alright. (There is no way I've got enough money on me to afford that thing.) How much is that going to cost?

Merchant: A hundred gold normally but it's yours for seventy if you act now.

Iso: (Shit.)

Kelas had apparently finished up what she was doing and emerged from the store. Iso scratched his head nervously and looked over his shoulder to her giving that "I've got a bit of a problem here." look.

Merchant: Can't afford it?

Iso: ... oi. (And to think I haven't even dealt with the replacement shirts issue yet. I think I'll buy as cheaply as possible there.)

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Shoulda told me you needed money beforehand," Kelas chided, guessing at what was going on as she walked over. "...That thing? Looks like a bit much, but I'm not really the one to ask about that-- I guess just try not to get it shredded. Here," she added, handing Isotov the bag with the money from selling the horses.

-------------------------------------

Arrin nodded and headed downstairs. He found Beau, Tobe, and a familiar-looking girl standing outside. Tobe had brought Amari along, and was stuck to the mare's side like a bur. "Tessa will be out in a little while, I think she had a few things to deal with first. I don't think she'll be too long, though."

Edited by Kiryn

"Yes, now would be a good time to discuss things, we need some time to rest before making our next move. What did you need?" Morgan asked Tessa.

"Two hundred fifty eh? This operation isn't as small as I thought it was. Fair enough, let's move out!" Xenia said to the wyvern riders, who were prepared to fly.

Not paying much attention where he was going, Helios nearly ran full-long into someone, saved only by the fact that they were more observant and spoke up. The greeting was in a sort of disinterested tone, and turning his view to the voice he saw it was Charlotte. She didn't seem particularly happy, perhaps she wasn't a morning person? He'd never paid that close attention to details, and he didn't really have the time to think about it, as when the princess noticed she'd grabbed his attention, she lead into her next topic, emotion actually making its way into her voice as she inquired after Dani.

Dani, yet again. His jaw clenched a bit involuntarily. Is it really so obvious I'm concerned over the matter? I'm seriously the first person people are coming to...? What is this... It was a bit of a confusing sensation, as he'd over time become used to the sort of outsider status thrust upon him by the rest of the group, present only because of Hellsety.

"Well... she asked whether she really was as similar to Dani as we were all... reacting. And she wanted to know more about what she was like, so I tried to explain... I think she's still convinced it's mistaken identity, but... I'll keep trying. You can't really force these things I don't think."

His mouth dropped into a grimace as he sighed. "You're not the only one asking after her, so a lot of people are concerned. I wonder if telling her that would be for the best, or only make her uncomfortable. It's hard knowing what to do, what not to do."

Isotov

Iso: You know, Kelas, I actually do have an idea ... and I'll need your help for that. We can deal with it later on though, after all the chores are done if you're interested.

Merchant: So ... you're gonna accept my offer?

Iso nodded before asking a question; a question asked while the two men exchanged coin and product.

Iso: So who made this?

Merchant: Ah a young girl not from around here. Most the other stuff here gets made by my helpers but she volunteered for awhile and made some pretty interesting coats. All long coats though for some reason or other. She was only around for a little while though and then left to places unknown. None of my other workers had this kind of creative spark. Shame. That's the last piece of hers I had for sale and I think it'll look great on you so enjoy it, and like the lady says, don't tear it up, son.

Iso: I know, and I won't. Like I said, I've got an idea.

Merchant: Pleasure doin business with yah both.

Turning back to Kelas with a smile, Iso gestured with his head letting her know he was ready to go and that she could lead the way.

Heading for Burgosas

Messenger: Alright, follow me then, please.

Peter: Ugh ... please no sharp tuuuuurns :sob:

The pegasus knight quickly took off expecting the IMs to follow.

"Idea?" Kelas asked as they headed for the open market. "Has it got to do with not getting killed?" She stopped at an apothecary stall to restock her first aid supplies. "Hm, maybe we should just send someone else to get some proper food supplies, we actually got somewhere to put them," she muttered, thinking over what else needed to be bought. "I think we're mostly done, unless you can think of anything else we need," she added.

"That isn't a problem," Beau replied to Arrin, "Are you certain you have everything you'll be bringing with you? The rest of us are ready. Oh, by the way, do you all know each other already?" The young heir wasn't being nearly as pickly as he usually was. In truth, it was because this was the first social gathering he'd organized -- even though it wasn't nearly as formal as the ones his father had attended or organized -- and he was remembering how he'd been instructed to behave: polite, pleasant and gracious. On the surface, at any rate. It was common knowlege that such gatherings were -- in truth -- much more akin to the espeonage missions of cutthroat assassins, each hiding their idividual arsenal of secrets and deadly weapons. Most attacks indirect, all aimed to cripple. Such tact was passed to Beau, though he was not aiming to socially elliminate any of his companions. No, he was after a far more innocent goal: gaining their trust so that these perfectly trustworthy, unassuming children -- who had access to hear more than most adults seeing as adults fear adults but, of course, find no threat in a child -- would feed him information to keep him not only up-to-date, but to also improve the effectiveness of his tact in these complecated social mechanisms, such as the Crimson Weapons travellers had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raemond was still tired, having not yet recovered from his bloodloss. The stab wound in his back from Heinz's knife had closed, but still itched and ached. Going into town for a new tunic was a priority, but first a little more sleep, then a bath. He knew he would have to see about getting his tome back, too, but even as he planned, the monk drifted off.

"We-ell, there's actually several things, but I suppose the first is that I'd like to thank you." Tessa leaned forward a bit at the waist and smiled up at Morgan. "Today, yesterday... quite frequently recently actually you've been showing a lot of compassion, being more sensitive than usual. I don't know if it's been on purpose, but I've been appreciating it."

Sobering up, she followed this with the next topic. "I also feel like I should apologize to you... but, I'm having trouble finding the words."

Isotov

Iso: Yeah it does actually. Instead of wearing this brand new coat into battle I'm going to still use the old one, which isn't any good for keeping warm anymore anyway. All I need to do is patch up the holes. Then maybe add some thicker fabric on top of the chest and back areas for better protection. Hmm that might be easier if we just patch up the holes and then buy a vest ... which I would just wear with the coat. On top or inside wouldn't matter too much I guess. This way I'm not as ... injury prone and I don't have to worry about this new coat getting damaged. I need something I can use for the weather that's still in good condition and this is it.

Looking to Kelas he made one last clarification.

Iso: Of course I'm not good at mending so I going to need your help if I'm going to do this at all.

A Sinking Ship

Eventually Jasmine had finally woken up and wandered off to take care of morning rituals. She ate a quick breakfast and went outside hoping to check up on Illiam before deciding how to spend the day. When she saw Levski, some things she'd been thinking about quickly floated to the surface and she felt a tear in her eye.

Jasmine: (Darn it. Okay ... I need to talk to him.)

Having already taken Illiam out of the stables she walked with him over to Lev who was standing there thinking by the wyverns.

Jasmine: Lev?

Lev: What's up?

Jasmine: I need to talk to you about something.

Lev: About our careers, right?

The rider gave a sad nod, partly thankful he already knew what she was getting at, but still down due to what they were about to go into.

Jasmine: I'm ... uh ... I just don't see how it's going to work between us. I mean you're a mercenary, and I'm in the army. I'll hardly ever see you after this thing with the crimson weapons is over ... and I'm sure we'll be parting ways even before that. You might get called off on some assignment by Ivanko, or ... the general, Viv, and I might get called back to Elyisima.

Lev: True.

Jasmine: I really like you but we can't just throw away our careers just so we can see each other.

Lev nodded in response to everything she was saying while she went on. Once it was clearly his turn he put his hands on his hips and looked down a bit deliberating.

Lev: Well ... these wouldn't be the first time my career or some other factor has gotten in between me and a beautiful woman.

She blushed a bit as he continued.

Lev: It would be the fifteenth time if I recall correctly.

Jasmine: Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Is your luck really that bad?

Lev: That's not bad luck. I'm still in one piece, I'm not anyone's town skipping father, and I'm certainly not hated for anything that happened. I'd say I got lucky.

Jasmine: Yeah, I guess. Still isn't that frustrating?

Lev: No, not really. There are possibilities all over the place. Nothing to fret over. I'm more concerned for you though.

Jasmine: Me?

Giving her a cocky grin he gestured at himself and explained.

Lev: Are you sure you're going to be alright giving all these up?

Jasmine: Heheh, you. ...I'll find someone taller.

Lev: U- ... ahahahahaahaaaah! Okay then I'm glad you're not taking these too hard. Come're.

The wyvern lord quickly embraced her and she let go of Illiam's reins to hug him right back. While still hugging though Jasmine spoke into his ear.

Jasmine: Um ... one thing though.

Lev: Yeah?

Jasmine: If you try to date Viveka, I'll kill you.

Lev: ... right.

"And here I was hoping the idea was to do with not getting hit in the first place," Kelas sighed, tossing a coin to a fruit seller and picking up an apple to snack on as they turned back towards the inn. "I dunno how well that's gonna work. I can only mend little rips and such, major projects like that are a bit beyond me. S'pose we can ask if anyone else knows how and is willing to do it."

-----------------------------------

"I'm all ready," Arrin confirmed. When Beau asked if he knew Sadie, he replied, "We've met. ...Outside Burgosas, wasn't it? And... I don't think I've met you," he told Tobe, surprised to see someone other than Kelas leading Amari.

"I'm just Tobe," Tobe muttered, still staring at the ground.

"I'm Arrin," Arrin replied. "Er... are you afraid of me? Er, us?"

"...Naw," Tobe mumbled, an obvious denial.

"I'm not that scary, am I?" Arrin asked the others quietly, troubled at Tobe's behaviour.

OOC: Things are going to get a little wonky with the time frame-- this is after Tessa, Arrin, etc leave. None of this should intersect with their group though so it should be okay.

"No idea," Kelas replied. They were nearing the inn again now. "Right... errands are done with. Not even quite lunchtime yet. What do you want to do?"

Isotov

Iso: Well I don't really want to go around bothering the others looking for professionals so ... maybe some training instead for now?

Hijack (A few minutes earlier)

While still in their embrace, Jasmine suddenly spoke up again. Something was odd about the tone of her voice.

Jasmine: Lev.

Lev: What is it?

Jasmine: Is Irina prepared yet?

Lev: W-what?

Releasing and stepping back from her a bit, Lev looked Jasmine dead in the eyes to see a completely different expression on her face. It nearly terrified him how shockingly similar her gaze was to Ixion's.

Lev: Are you- ... no way are you ... Ixion?

Jasmine: Yes. To save time I will simply say that Jasmine is also linked directly to me for the time being. That is what permits this, though I find it disappointing to actually have to use. Still this is important enough to warrant it.

Lev: Why? Why the fuck are you using Jasmine too?

Ixion: For a moment like this, where I need to speak with you people directly. It comes at a cost since Jasmine is still technically conscious and will remember all of this, but at this point it is hardly consequential so long as you do your job. Now I'll ask again; is Irina prepared yet?

Lev: Physically? ... yes. You'll never convince her to leave the group though ... not for these.

Ixion: Yes yes, people and their emotional responses. I was beginning to suspect as much. Very well I suppose I do have one more way to deal with her that doesn't involve force.

Lev: Like what?

Ixion: Irrelevant at the moment. Is there anything else going on there that I should know about?

Lev: Another wyvern just hatched. Mind sending some guys to Worthington to help out? The hatchlings aren't going anywhere from the looks of things.

Ixion: Done. Anything else?

Lev: Nothing you would care about, I don't think.

Ixion: Fine then. That's enough to work with. I'll be there in the morning.

Lev: Tomorrow?!

Ixion: We aren't delaying any longer. I've taken care of all necessary preparations and the operation is now underway. I trust you'll be ready by morning.

Lev hung his head and shook it several times in frustration before shooting back.

Lev: Yeah, whatever. Fine. Now get out of her head. It's bad enough you're so pushy but possessing women is just downright loathsome.

Ixion: How utterly predictable a response, Levski.

Just then Jasmine's eyes widened and she quickly flinched. She looked to Illiam who was clearly frightened of her now, and then to Levski who was expecting a scolding.

Jasmine: D-d-did he just ... take control of me?! What the hell?! How did he attach one of those things to ME?! When did that happen?!

Lev: Do you have any gaps in your memory from when you were sent to Redwood to deliver that message to Ixion? The one about these very mana linking issue?

Jasmine: ... goddess dammit. So you're working with that scumbag?

Lev: Technically yes, but like we have to tell people, he's not an IM. Not even a part of the company officially.

Jasmine: And what's this operation thing about?

Lev: The less you know the better you'll sleep, and you'll find out what it is eventually anyway.

Jasmine: You just don't want me running off to tell the General or Viveka do you?

Lev: Tch, what are they gonna do, stop us? Like Ixion said, it doesn't matter at these point, but at the same time it's less of a hassle for me if I handle the flow of information.

Jasmine: And Morgan?

Lev: May tell'er, may not. I need to think on the situation as a whole first.

Jasmine: ... ... and Irina?

Lev: ... ... ... I need to think. You just ... do what you want.

The wyvern lord hung his head in dismay and walked back into the inn leaving Jasmine outside alone with her pegasus and the remaining wyverns.

Lev: (Morgan; Agreeable enough to trust with it, but telling her is just personal preference. Irina; Will find out by morning no matter what I do. Telling her could be risky though since she like Iso does tend to run away from anything she doesn't like ... and she's got a wyvern to do it with ... two actually. Iso; Doesn't need to know til it happens. Too much of a flight risk. Viveka; I'll tell her in the morning. I'm sure Irina's going to be forced to use the pink wyvern so we can just leave Kiev with Iso and strap all the supplies to him for the time being. No one else in the party really matters I guess.)

Decision

Ixion: (I can only see Irina reacting negatively to my attempts. There is nothing I can do short of forcing her to come along but that shouldn't be necessary. I'll need to contact Ivanko ... though he most likely has left Redwood already. If that's the case ...)

"All right, let me dump this stuff and change, then," Kelas agreed, heading into the inn. She deposited the new clothes in her room, then exchanged her dress for a shirt and breeches. Wait-- I forgot my weapons when I went out earlier. How was I such an idiot? she realized, and buckled her sword belt and quiver with a curse. Donning her new coat-- it had been chilly out-- she returned outside.

"Where do we want to go? Inn's got a yard, but that'd probably get us an audience," she thought aloud. "Don't really fancy heading all the way to the outskirts of town, though, least not without the horses in case we have to come back quick for some reason. What do you think?"

"I really don't know what to do about her," Charlotte said to Helios. "How do you restore someone's memory? I guess we could try to find the people that did this to her, but I'm not even sure who those bandits were."

"Maybe the group thinks you're the best one to deal with her because you lost your memory yourself. I guess the group thought the best idea was to tell you who you really were, though they probably didn't know enough to tell you much about your life. I really don't have any more answers than you do." Charlotte said, sighing.

Morgan raised an eyebrow at Tessa "More sensitive and compassionate? An interesting observation, though not necessarily one I would agree with. As for an apology, I do not really see a reason. Your lack of participation in the battle yesterday was unfortunate, but not something you should apologize for," she said.

Beau smiled in amusement at Arrin's question. "No, you're not frightening. He is simply used to being treated according to his social standing," the young heir explained, recognizing the signs of Tobe's behavior and not really caring if Tobe heard what he was telling Arrin or not.

As Aiya started to shift about on the bed, mumbling weird things about what was going on in her dreams, Esphyr lightly patted her back. "I'm Esphyr. Your friend." she whispered into the sleeping girls ear. A sudden urge to tickle Aiya into awakedness pushed its way into Esphyr's mind, but was turned aside. Lowering her head down to Aiya's to ensure that the girl could hear her, she whispered into her ear. "I'm going to take care of you. You're safe until you wake up. Don't worry."

Isotov

Iso: Hmm, okay let's grab a couple of horses then. The yard would be fine but I'll have a harder time concentrating and testing my range would be out of the question. At least out there we can make the most of it like you said, with horses we can get back quickly in an emergency.

"Used to--" Arrin went a little green at the mention of social standing; his teacher had denounced the class system thoroughly, and all he'd ever heard from other people was arguing, which he didn't particularly enjoy. Personally he was against it, but he wasn't going to start that argument. He wasn't entirely convinced that was all there was to Tobe's behavior, though. "He's acting more like he's used to being hit.[i/]" He recognized the sort of flinching, halting tendency that came from trying to avoid being yelled at, too, but that was more common and somewhat less worrying. He stooped down for a moment to try and look Tobe in the eye, but Tobe refused to make eye contact. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"'m fine," Tobe said stubbornly. He'd decided that Arrin wasn't the type to hit... probably... but he might be one of the condescending pitying types, and those were plain annoying. "Don't worry bout it," he added sullenly.

Arrin shook his head, but straightened back up. There was likely nothing he could do at the moment; probably it would take the help of someone older if Tobe's problems were indeed what they seemed to be. "We don't hit people here," he stated simply.

There was a slight, awkward, pause. "Does you want to take th' horse?" Tobe blurted in order to break it. He would much rather lead Amari, but Kelas had said she was supposed to go with her brother, so he figured he better ask.

"You can lead her if you want. If you don't want to, I'll take her," Arrin replied. "I don't think she'll bite me..."

"Eh, I'll keep 'er for now," Tobe replied, visibly relieved; he still had a horse to hide by.

--------------------------------------------

"That's the thing, I'm pretty sure we only got Francis right now, Amari's with Arrin and all the others belong to someone else," Kelas replied. "Guess I could borrow the one cavalry horse, if I had to."

Beau was angered a little by Tobe's apparent mistreatment, but he hid it well enough. (Bad masters. I know my father would have me be the same way but I just can't agree to it... Unfortunately, its how some chose to promote good behavior and discourage laziness. All the same...I can't help but feel a sort of rage when people treat them in such a manner.) "Arrin is correct, Tobe," Beau put in, a content smile forming on his aface again, "Particularly on such an occasion as we are about to celebrate with this outing: a day of respite."

Tobe made a slightly dubious face, but said nothing.

"Where all are we even going?" Arrin asked. "Just... around, or does anyone have anything particular in mind?"

------------------------------------------

"I'll take the cavalry horse," Kelas decided. "Francis is much improved from when I got him, a lot better than I could have expected with all this moving around even, but I'd rather not put more than one rider on him when it's not strictly necessary anyway." She headed into the barn, getting Francis out of his stall and putting him on cross-ties. "Hm. Got another lesson for you," she announced, retrieving Francis' saddle. "Don't think I taught you how to tack, did I?"

"No, you didn't." Iso replied, sounding slightly nervous. Frankly he wasn't sure why a horse would put up with all of the equipment being put on them. Putting a bit in one's mouth seemed especially annoying. Images of him being pushed and shoved around for trying to tack Francis had him grimacing right in front of Kelas. "Um, this is perfectly safe, right?"

"Don't worry, you're not gonna get bit," Kelas reassured. "Blanket goes first, then saddle, don't just drop it on like a sack of potatoes. Careful with buckling the girth, don't yank it tight all at once, mind it's not too tight or too loose. Too tight you get thrown, too loose you might end up riding sideways." She demonstrated, then removed the saddle so he could try it. "Bridling's not that hard either, but I'll just show you for now I guess." She untied Francis' halter and replaced it with his bridle, explaining what she was doing as she did so.

Well that certainly eliminated a degree of worry right there. Now it was simply a matter of not screwing up the tack. He began by carefully placing the blanket back over Francis and making sure there were no folds or creases. He wasn't sure if that mattered or not but was simply trying to be neat. Next he gently placed down the saddle and began fastening it into place making sure he wouldn't suddenly find his head dragging across the ground from underneath the horse, and also not making it uncomfortable and risking getting thrown off as Kelas warned. Once he was done, he turned to Kelas.

"Huh. Is this good?" he asked.

Kelas checked the saddle. "Looks fine," she announced, handing over the reins. "Just a minute..." She retrieved the last of the cavalry horses, a slightly fussy black mare, and saddled her. "All right, let's go."

As the morning came, Kaileen had remained secluded away in a room as the others woke up and started their days. She was a heavy sleeper and she subtly suspected that none of the party members truly cared enough about her to even bother with coming in to see how she was.

Jr. was not like his mother in any way. As the sun had risen, he had woken up with the crack of dawn. However, Kaileen's arm had been draped about him tightly, holding him close and preventing him from slipping free. It was only when she finally shifted in her rest that he could break free of the woman's grasp and slip out of the room. His child-like feet pattered down the hallway eagerly as he rushed down to the stables, eager to spend some time with the animals. Ripping about corners and practically running across walls, he shot into the stable. "Hello! Howareyoupeople? Areyousaddlingupthehorses? Whataboutthewyverns?" he screamed in a eager rush as he tore into the stable. "Hiotherboy." he said to Tobe before looking up at Beau. "Andyou'reoneofthewyvernguys?Right?"

---

The shadows of the forest trees flowed about Mana with cooling ease, the calm dewdrops of the morning condensing upon her feathers as she calmly strode through the woods. About her, thousands upon thousands of strands of magic, each fine and flowing with gentle strands of wind. Her time with Ixion had been weird to be sure. It had been a while since she had seen the world like this. The castle was a dead place, devoid of wind and the air within it flowed at a sluggish, rotten pace. It was like a putrid stream within. So much so that she had forced herself to see the world in dull, human, ways to keep herself from becoming depressed. That place, was not her.

TISME was not her. She was a poor fit for the job of a headmaster, and she knew it. Wild and free, caring more for a evening flight through the clouds than a pile of paperwork, she knew that her position was not one of competence, but rather of power. The exact sort of thing she wanted to replace and remove; and yet it was the only thing allowing her the chance to make those changes. A cruel irony to be sure.

Yet this place, this idle thicket of forest trees, where the wind flowed freely and no restraint held her back. This was what she wanted. It called out to her spirit parts, sending thrills throughout her body. She had forgotten when she had arrived in this place, and only the gentle glow of the sun told her that any time had past since she had left the castle.

Slowly, she breathed in, and the air before her flowed. Swirling about small leaves of clover and floating through the tree branches like gentle rills of water, it flowed inside of her. Then, she breathed out, and small gusts coursed forth. This was her home. Where there was moving air, there was wind. Where there was wind, Mana was at home.

Who was Mana? She shook herself, causing currents of air to flutter about and stream over her form. They swirled and formed into lovely pools and eddies naturally, like a fish in the water. It didn't matter.

A series of rippled moved through the air, causing happy sounds of giggling to flutter forth as the sky overhead parted. Moving like an ocean. She was home She was home...

She was in the dead place again.

"Uggg...." she groaned in mild annoyance as she winced in pain, the air dying about her. Why was she here? In this dead and still place? She closed her eyes and winced, the interior of Ixion's castle returning to the dull, human, vision. "That's right. Ixion. Damian... TISME..."

With a small shudder, she could feel the dewdrops falling off her body. Feathers and wisps of scents she couldn't remember, like the salt of the ocean and something vaguely sulferic, seemed to fill the space about her. "Damn it. I wanna go home." she groaned, smelling deeply. She couldn't even remember what she had just done aside from vague memories and the notion that she had been outside. Stepping outside her room, she shuddered as the still air of the fortress greeted her again. Howard, Ixion, that demon girl, a rabid gnome, she almost didn't care if she met someone or not. She wanted to go home.

"What're you doin'?" Tobe asked as the boy from before zoomed up to where they had gathered. "Slow down, yer gonna spook the horses." Amari twitched her ears in exasperation, but did not spook; randomly appearing human children were hardly a surprise after all she'd encountered. "Anyways, we en't doin' nothin' right now, th' lady already left with th' horses to sell, we's just waitin' for someone else now. No bitin'," he added to Amari, who looked peeved that someone would even suggest that she'd think about biting a child who wasn't a pickpocket.

------------------------------------

Far away

Two figures, one dark and slight, the other tall and sand-colored, walked into the dark chamber. The smaller one walked silently; the other's footsteps made only the sound of shifting dust. The stale air of the chamber stirred as the taller one opened the door, and piles of sand and dust on the floor danced a bit, stirred by the new air current.

The room was a great, ruined ampitheatre, lit only by a solitary beam of sunlight issuing from a small crack in the ceiling. The smaller figure carefully avoided the beam as the pair headed down the main aisle to the small dais in the center, on which stood an altar. The room's shadows seemed to dance with the sand as the pair progressed to the altar and stood before it. A pair of torches flanking the altar blazed into life of their own accord, burning blue at the pair's approach.

"You called us here?" The taller one's voice was harsh and proud, like the desert wind, ageless, female. "Have you orders for us?"

Puzzled by the boy's strange behavior, Sadie went closer to him, going slowly in case the boy didn't like her near him. It seemed that he didn't like her from what she saw, so she stood some distance away and played a bit of her lyre. The air was filled with airy, light music and a calmer atmosphere. After a short bit, she stopped.

"C'mon guys. If we're going to explore, we should do so soon. I'm pretty interested in this town."