[FE11] eclipse's Horribly Opinionated Draft Tournament Character Ranking

eclipse

After six and then some drafts (and playing someone else's draft team), this board is overdue for a topic like this. Since this is a draft, how you choose will highly depend on who you've already got. Thus, several characters will have multiple ratings, based on context. This might be enough to hop tiers. If that is the case, I will post the situation along with the character.

Everyone starts with a 5. I add and subtract points based on their strengths and weaknesses, as well as a few other subjective things. Once I get a final score, I'll post where on the tier list they show up.

This list is made with the Generic Ruleset in mind.

If you're still not convinced, choose any team from one of the six current tournaments (the seventh is still drafting), and give it a whirl.

Soooooo. . .

Free/mandatory Tier

Jagen (7.5 on Normal Mode, 9 otherwise)

Marth (6 on Normal Mode, 4 otherwise)

Gotoh

Nagi

High Tier (9-10)

Caeda (Normal Mode draft)

Abel (Hard Mode draft)

Barst (Hard Mode draft)

Caeda (any other draft)

Frey

Barst (Normal Mode draft)

Upper Mid Tier (7-8.5)

Abel (Normal Mode draft)

Ogma (all his ratings fall into this tier)

Cain (please read his ranking, as he gets three separate ratings)

Julian

Lena

Navarre

Merric (Hard Mode draft)

Matthis (under very specific conditions on Normal)

Norne

Draug

Hardin

Wolf

Sedgar

Bord

Cord (Hard Mode draft)

Darros (no other options for Chapter 3 boss on Hard)

Matthis (under very specific conditions on Hard)

Merric (Normal, or certain conditions on Hard)

Mid Tier (5-6.5)

Cord (Normal Mode draft)

Castor (Caeda not drafted)

Roshea (usually)

Vyland (only class A male)

Wrys (Hard Mode draft)

Castor (Caeda drafted)

Matthis (Normal Mode draft)

Roshea (with Darros or Bord)

Darros (most other situations)

Vyland (only Gordin)

Lower Mid Tier (3-4.5)

Matthis (Hard Mode draft)

Vyland (most other situations)

Wrys (Normal Mode draft)

Darros (Hard, and you have Barst)

Gordin (Hard Mode, and you do not have Wrys or Lena drafted)

Low Tier (lower than 3)

Gordin (Normal Mode draft)

---

Marth

+ Gets a PRF weapon which is replaceable (2.5)

+ In Normal Mode, has the entire Prologue as self-improvement (2)

+ A LOT of characters use him as support (1)

+ Crosses Rivers (0.5)

+ 18 HP and 7 DEF isn't bad for base, and the first few chapters are full of axe dudes (1)

+/- Required (doesn't cost turns, but I can think of plenty of other units I'd rather have)

+/- Sole village visitor (it means your better units can do other things, BUT he's the seizer, so. . .)

- Sword lock (2)

- Unable to reclass (1)

- 7 MOV isn't that impressive, and the Boots don't come until Chapter 12 (1.5)

- 20% DEF growth and 2% RES growth means he'll be pretty frail (1)

- 50% STR and SPD means his growth will be extremely chancy (.5)

Overall: 6/10

Any non-Normal Mode draft: 4/10

Jagen

+ Silver Lance (2 on Normal, 3.5 on Hard)

+ Can reclass to Dracoknight, and still be effective (1)

+ Emergency staffbot with offense (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

+ Supports Marth in a hurry (.5)

- Horrible growth, which means his offense won't stay amazing, and his defense will be spotty (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Bad LCK means he's at risk of being hit by criticals (.5)

- Will eat experience early (.5)

Overall: 7.5/10

Any non-Normal Mode draft: 9/10

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, thanks! Next up. . .the Cavaliers Three!

Frey

+ Has the Prologue to grow (1)

+ Best HP, Skill, Speed, and Luck growth of the Altean Trio (1.5)

+ Weapon ranks are favorable for a Normal run (1)

+ Costs no turns to recruit (1)

- Normal Mode only

Overall: 9.5/10

Non-Normal Mode Draft: N/A

Abel

+ Javelin, and can take advantage of it immediately (1 on Normal, 2.5 on Hard)

+ Highest base SKL and SPD of the Altean Trio (1)

+ Best STR growth of the Trio (.5, only because class A males are somewhat shafted in the Strength department)

+ Good growths, relatively speaking (1)

- 2 LCK, 25% growth isn't very helpful, and his only viable critical-negating support option will most likely be out of range (.5, Hard only)

- Takes a SPD hit when wielding said Javelin, until he gains STR (1)

Overall: 8.5/10

Non-Normal Mode Draft: 9.5/10

Cain

+ Better HP and LCK growth than Abel (.5, Hard only)

+ Initial weapon ranks better suited for the beginning of Hard Mode (2, Hard only, 2.5 if you did not draft Ogma or Navarre)

+ Can do something about his Lance rank in the Prologue (1, Normal only)

+ Good growths, relatively speaking (1)

- Loses SPD to Steel Sword until he gains STR (.5, Hard Mode only)

- Unable to auto-Javelin chuck (.5 on Normal, 1 on Hard)

Non-Normal Mode Draft: 8/10

If you didn't get the Prologue, Ogma, or Navarre: 8.5/10

I harp on the beginning of the harder modes a lot because that is where a LOT of turns are spent (go look at Drafting Tournaments V and VI if you don't believe me). Chapters 2 and 3 feature bosses with Hand Axes who are disturbingly accurate. Cain's biggest draw is that he can automatically equip the Steel Sword to get WTA on them. Abel will most likely be stuck with an Iron Sword and a prayer, thanks to his awful LCK. Frey doesn't exist.

Likewise, Javelins become far more important from Chapter 4 onwards, but Jagen can chuck Javelins (he can also wield the Steel Sword, but his LCK is worse than Abel's). Cain needs to poke stuff 30 times with the Iron Lance in order to get Javelins. Cain should hit D Lances by Chapter 7 at the very latest, unless someone else is drawing all the Knight hits on Chapter 6.

But he's no flier. :awesome:

But who is that isn't Jagen?

Caeda? Her base durability is shit, so she has a crappy enemy phase.

Wendell? Eh, he's OK, but then he loses Excalibur.

Palla? Low luck, but good, comes a bit late.

Catria? If you don't mind training her, but since it's a draft..

Est? TROLOLOLOL

And it's not like they can ferry.

Edited by Spy

Actually, in NM (Since we're comparing her to Frey), her durability is great (Or pretty decent, since she's like, 4HKO'd by average enemies, with the exception of Archers and bosses). And then her offense is excellent. Forge her a Javelin, and she'll be amazing.

What will it take to get a 10? I have no idea.

Caeda must watch for arrows. Since this is draft tourney rules, no forge.

Edited by eclipse

Victory or Death is irritating me, so I'll continue this.

EP = Enemy Phase, or that time when the enemies suicide into you.

Gordin

+ Comes with decent equipment (1)

+ Can safely chip without being countered (not like he'd be able to do anything useful even if he had an EP) (.5 on Normal, 1 on Hard)

+ Reclassing exists, because he'd be a horrid pick without it (.5 on Normal OR if you've already recruited Lena or Wrys, 1.5 on Hard)

- Bases and most growths for Facepalm Tier (2.5 on Normal, 3 on Hard)

- Requires lots of protection in the earlier chapters (1, Hard only)

- No EP for the first three chapters (1)

- Crappy movement in base class (.5)

Overall: 3/10

Non-Normal Mode Draft, and you do not have Wrys or Lena: 4/10

I specified those two because Gordin's best use, barring miraculous growth in the first three chapters, is staffbot. Having an extra staffbot means that Jagen can make better use of his time. This is vital on the harder modes, until Chapter 8.

Draug

+ Your First Knight, and quite the tank (1, Normal only)

+ His growths fit the Class B male set perfectly (2.5 on Normal, 4 on Hard)

+ Auto-Javelin for the first three chapters (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Glass cannon (.5 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- He's locked to lances in the beginning, and those chapters are full of axes (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Knight movement fails (.5)

- Will take a bit to get axe rank up (1, Hard only)

Non-Normal Mode Draft: 7/10

Axe users are especially important for Hard Mode, as most of the throne impediments are Knights/Generals, and Hammer > Armorslayer. If Draug can double with the Hammer (given his insane Speed, it's possible), it will make boss killing that much easier.

Norne

+ Female physical unit (3)

+ Reclassing exists (.5)

- Normal Mode only

- Her bases fail harder than Gordin's (1)

- Unless you get lucky, her Strength won't be particularly impressive for a physical unit (1)

Being a physical female unit in this game is amazing. Pegasus Knights shave turns like no one's business. Mind the archers!

Caeda

+ Female physical unit (3)

+ WING SPEAR (3 on Normal, 4 on Hard)

+ Auto-Javelin, should the need arise (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

+ She and Marth support each other (1)

+ Insanely fast and lucky (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Lance unit in the middle of axes for the first three maps (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Reclassing means losing the Wing Spear (1)

- 16 HP/7 DEF is horrible durability, and 40% HP growth and 20% DEF growth is not helpful (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Will take AS loss with a Javelin, unless her 20% STR growth kicks in (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- MASSIVE ARCHER PROBLEM (1 on Normal, 2.5 on Hard)

Overall: 10/10

Non-Normal Mode: 9/10

Caeda's Wing Spear is awesome, but the enemies are a faster, stronger, and more accurate in the harder modes, which means she needs to dodge or die. Steel Bows go from 2HKO to 1HKO, so positioning her correctly is crucial.

Lastly, if she gets Strength-screwed, cry.

Wrys

+ Starts off as a staffbot (1.5, Hard only)

+ Decent MAG and RES growth (1)

- Costs a turn to recruit (.5, Normal only)

- Might make it as a mage, but mages aren't that great in drafts (.5)

- Will need protection until promotion (1)

Overall: 4/10

Non-Normal Mode Draft: 6/10

You've got plenty of Vulneraries in Normal Mode, and Marth should be overleveled, so a healer for the first few chapters isn't as big of a deal as it is on Hard Mode.

Edited by eclipse

I would just like to point out that Shiida's growths for HP is 40%, not 10, and Strength is 20%, not 10%. And no positives for early join time? I may be biased in Gordin's favour because of the way he turned out in my first draft, but he still has one of the best join times, and his growths aren't a whole lot worse than say, Vyland.

I would just like to point out that Shiida's growths for HP is 40%, not 10, and Strength is 20%, not 10%. And no positives for early join time? I may be biased in Gordin's favour because of the way he turned out in my first draft, but he still has one of the best join times, and his growths aren't a whole lot worse than say, Vyland.

I was looking at base growths! I'll fix that!

Gordin needs to be useful during the time he's around, or he might as well not exist. He can poke at things with his bow, but on anything besides Normal, he's in grave danger of dying if he attracts more than a little attention. To make things worse, the only boss he can poke at safely is on Chapter 1 (he might be able to finish off the other two bosses, but it's really risky).

Edited by eclipse

Now why is Draugs massive speed not mentioned in his thing? Speed Armours are win and a half, and if you take him out of armor, watch him double maps almost as good (if not better than) WINdell.

Also after promotion Caeda can go pallie without losing the win spear.

Did you think that comment about his stats and the +4 for Hard was an accident? It takes into account his good Skill growth and better Speed growth. Too bad his Defense is, erm, bad.

Now why is Draugs massive speed not mentioned in his thing? Speed Armours are win and a half, and if you take him out of armor, watch him double maps almost as good (if not better than) WINdell.

Also after promotion Caeda can go pallie without losing the win spear.

If Draug can double with the Hammer (given his insane Speed, it's possible)

I am struggling to see how you can miss this.

ANYWAY, these are good-looking rankings. I'll keep 'em in mind when I finally have access to this goddamn game.

What about stat ups? In draft they should be more easier to get because Character X is better with it won't have the same inpact. For example that first Angel Robe did miracles to fighter Draug's bulk on my draft. I could see likes of Radd with that nice Defence of his really make use of it in a game where Caeda isn't instantly taking it. I don't see likes of Cain making any real use of it anytime soon...

What about stat ups? In draft they should be more easier to get because Character X is better with it won't have the same inpact. For example that first Angel Robe did miracles to fighter Draug's bulk on my draft. I could see likes of Radd with that nice Defence of his really make use of it in a game where Caeda isn't instantly taking it. I don't see likes of Cain making any real use of it anytime soon...

I tend to give Marth the Robe, so he doesn't die on the way to the throne.

I am struggling to see how you can miss this.

I saw it, but IMO Draugs speed deserves more recognition than that in writing.

in mid-late game, yes.

Early game, he's behind everything until ch 4. he offers little against the bosses of ch1-3....unless on normal or h1.

I think the word 'insane' covers most things. Especially given cover with it contributing to four of his points.

CHAPTER 2 TIME!!

Ogma

+ Sexy sword rank (1 on Normal, 2 on Hard)

+ The only people that match Ogma's starting speed are Caeda and Navarre (.5 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard, 2 if you're on Hard and didn't draft Caeda or Navarre)

+ First Steel Sword, and a very necessary one (1)

+ 3 base SKL means he can reclass to axe dude quickly (1, 1.5 if you don't have another Class B male or Minerva before Chapter 12)

+ Growths fit the Mercenary/Hero class (1)

- 10% personal SPD is not what you want to see in a class B male (1)

- Will need to build axe rank (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Takes AS loss from Steel Sword unless he gains 2 STR (.5 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

Holy cow, conditionals. . .pay attention! I think I got everything!

Normal: 7/10

Normal, and he's your only Hammer option until Chapter 12: 7.5/10

Hard: 7.5/10

Hard, and you don't have Caeda or Navarre: 8/10

Hard, and the only Hammerer until Chapter 12: 8/10

Hard, you don't have Caeda or Navarre, and your only Hammerer until Chapter 12: 8.5/10

Ogma needs to be strong and fast for Chapter 3, The Place That Messes With Turn Counts on Harder Modes. If he's taking AS loss from the Steel Sword (even one!), he'll be doubled, and that's a bad thing.

Barst

+ Starts off with D axes (1)

+ Comes with a Hand Axe (1)

+ Insane bases for his level (2 on Normal, 3 on Hard)

+ He grows like Ogma the Mercenary while classed as a Fighter/Pirate (1.5)

- Needs to work up to C axes (.5 on Normal, 1 on Hard)

- No personal Strength growth (1)

Normal: 9/10

Hard: 9.5/10

If he came with C axes, he'd break the game. 5 starting STR and SKL is crazy for a level 3 axe dude. This also means you can reclass him to whatever the hell you want, and he'll still do fine.

Bord

+ Starts with C axes (2 on Normal, 3 on Hard, 3.5 on Hard, and you do not have another Hammer option before Chapter 12)

+ Comes with a Hammer (1)

+ 45% Skill growth as a Fighter/Pirate (1 on Normal, 2 on Hard)

+ Unlike his other two axe-friends, has personal HP growth (.5)

- 0 base SPD and 0 personal SPD growth, which REALLY SUCKS for a class B male (2.5 on Normal, 3.5 on Hard)

- Starts with 1 LCK, and has a 35% chance of doing something about it (1, Hard only)

Normal and Hard: 7/10

Hard, and your only Hammer until Chapter 12: 7.5/10

Bord's saving grace is his auto-Hammer, and his insane Skill. That means he's got the best chance of connecting with it, and Generals are a huge nuisance throughout the game. Fortunately, Generals are slow.

Cord

+ Starts as a Fighter (.5)

+ His Speed growth isn't as crazy as Draug's, but it's still worth mentioning (2.5 on Normal, 3.5 on Hard)

+ Has decent personal MAG and RES growth (.5)

- E Axes means that he'll need to work up to Hand Axe, then Hammer (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Horrid Skill growth as a Fighter (1)

Normal: 6.5/10

Hard: 7/10

Cord is fast, but his axe rank means that you might as well have reclassed Draug. Unlike Draug, he's got two extra chapters to do something about it. If you can get him a Hammer, he should double bosses with it, and that's a good thing.

Castor

+ Completely pwns Gordin in the growths that count (1)

+ Due to the way his growths are distributed, can reclass to damn near anything (1)

+ Hunter bases > Archer bases (1)

- Caeda recruit (.5, only if you drafted Caeda, because she has better things to do with her time than talk with a mama's boy)

- Reclassing as Fighter/Pirate will net OMG growths in HP and STR. Everything else has mediocre to decent growths (.5)

- Starts with -1 SKL, which means classing to Fighter/Pirate will be PAINFUL. (1)

Overall: 6.5/10

You drafted Caeda: 6/10

I like his growths, but Barst/Ogma/Wolf/Sedgar do it better. Bait the guys to the east wrong, and Caeda is in a hell of a lot of danger.

Darros

+ Starts with D axes (1)

+ Self-recruits (2)

+ Walks across rivers (.5)

+ 30% personal DEF growth (.5 on Normal, 1 on Hard)

+ Best candidate for the Devil Axe (2 if you drafted him, are on Hard and do not have Barst, 3 if you are on Hard and do not have Cain, Ogma, Barst, or Navarre)

- No personal SPD growth, which REALLY SUCKS for a class B male (2 on Normal, 3 on Hard)

- His starting weapon gives him a whopping -4 AS (1 on Normal, 1.5 on Hard)

- Needs to work towards Hammer (.5 on Normal, 1 on Hard)

More conditionals!

Normal: 5.5/10

Hard, and you DO NOT have Cain, Ogma, Barst, or Navarre: 7/10

Hard, and you DO NOT have Barst: 6/10

Hard, and you DO have Barst: 4/10

His 30% personal DEF growth means that he'll be able to make a decent Knight (but you'll need to reclass him for SPD, lest he be doubled by everything and their sister). His ability to walk over rivers will allow him to shield characters that the rest of your party would have trouble protecting during Chapter 2. The ability to wield the Devil Axe means he can shave quite a few turns off of Chapter 3, especially if you don't have a second swordie besides Marth (Abel's starting Sword level is not helpful, and you'll want Jagen available for Silver Lance duty).

There is no way that Bord should be ahead of Cord or nearly on par with Ogma. Ogma can use an armourslayer as well as Bord can use a hammer and actually double with it. And Cord's growths are far superior to Bord's, and Cord doesn't need skill, because enemies have little to no avoid in this game.