When do units not counterattack in fe5?

Mousefire

I was playing Fe5, and I got to chapter 8. I made a mistake, and Othin was in range of Marty while holding his pugi. I thought he would kill Marty, but to my surprise, he didn't counterattack.

I already knew Eyvel didn't counterattack to Mareeta, but I didn't think something this small would warrant that mechanic.

So I was wondering, what are other times when this happens, if any?

No, Reinhardt attacked Olwen in my game I think. I wasn't paying close attention, but I think he did.

I do know for sure that Amalda will attack Sleuf, but I'm unsure of Miranda and Conomore.

No, Reinhardt attacked Olwen in my game I think. I wasn't paying close attention, but I think he did.

IIRC Reinhardt won't attack Olwen, but he does counterattack indeed.

I do know for sure that Amalda will attack Sleuf, but I'm unsure of Miranda and Conomore.

If Amalda attacks Sleuf, will he counter? Likewise, if Reinhardt attacks Olwen, will she counter?

That seems to be more in line with the Marty-Othin and Mareeta-Eyvel observations.

If Amalda attacks Sleuf, will he counter? Likewise, if Reinhardt attacks Olwen, will she counter?

That seems to be more in line with the Marty-Othin and Mareeta-Eyvel observations.

Sleuf was unpromoted and had no staves since it was from the draft. I didn't check much with Olwen since Lara stole his Dame Thunder right after.

I'm guessing there's quiet a few things like that like how it is in FE10. Someone should maybe check Pahn and Lara or Shiva and Lifis/Saphy. Maybe Trewd and Pahn or Pahn and Salem. Shanam/Homeros and Galzus/Mareeta too.

Shiva likes to capture Saphy and kill Lifis. I'm actually having trouble believing there's non-attacking pairs like this in the game - I can almost surely recall Othin or Halvan killing Marty, and if I recall correctly Mareeta and Eyvel do attack each other, but would-be fatal hits are rigged to miss. But I can't be certain and I can't be bothered to test.

Eyvel most definitely does not counterattack Mareeta. You can force her to attack Mareeta on the player phase, but if you just have her sit there she'll never hit back.

I can't confirm on Marty, but it would make some sense.