Serenes Forest's First Annual Chess Tournament

Life

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to sign up please.

Also, if people are struggling with chess notation, we could always play on the free internet chess server. [/shameless plug]

Edited by Kevin

Ok, perfect. 20 sign-ups.

I've set this up as a round robin which is viewable in the first post. You must play at least one person by Feb 20 and everyone by March 1st. You may play via notation or by a chess server (chess.com works) or however you want. Both people should report the results of a match here.

EDIT: Here's the scoring rules and the stuff about getting seeded in the knockout tournament.

You get 1 point for a win and 0.5 for a draw. The person who comes first in their pool will get a first round bye while the second and third place players will make it in but be unseeded. In the case that we have a draw, it will come down to how many moves you made in all of your games combined (this means that you need to keep track of the number of turns a game takes). Capiche?

Edited by Survivor

Chess.com works, but there are a variety of free solutions available. As I don't have AIM or MSN I'm probably limited to PM via SF, or the chat here, I guess.

Also, black/white needs to be decided somehow.

In the case that we have a draw, it will come down to how many moves you made in all of your games combined (this means that you need to keep track of the number of turns a game takes).

Erm, I take issue with this. I think the two drawn players should play each other to get through, as otherwise closed strategies such as the Dutch Defence become disadvantangous to you.

Edited by Kevin

Also, black/white needs to be decided somehow.

I'd say play three games and be black and white in at least one each. Some people (me) prefer playing Black while others prefer White. Also, remember that White is never guaranteed a win.

I'd say play three games and be black and white in at least one each. Some people (me) prefer playing Black while others prefer White. Also, remember that White is never guaranteed a win.

Quote posting for attention (this is forum games, mods, and it needs addressing):

Erm, I take issue with this. I think the two drawn players should play each other to get through, as otherwise closed strategies such as the Dutch Defence become disadvantagous to you.
Edited by Kevin

This is important.

Also, since we're playing more than one game per match, does the score count for both games or just the total result of the match?

Total result. Did you overall beat person x or not?

I won the second game, as well.

I was white, he was black, checkmate was on move 28.

Edit:

Snike - White

Slayer - Black

Result: White in 36.

1-0.

Edited by Snike

Just Played SlayerX as black and Won in 20 moves.

Btw slayer, you might want to not sacrifice your queen next time ;)

Edit: Beat him again in 30 moves as white.

Played a third game and I won as black after 42 moves.

Edited by Kevin

Yeah it was a shame, too, as you weren't playing too bad beforehand otherwise, you did well closing the position considering I was a rook and bishop up. You could've lasted 10+ more turns if you didn't lose that queen. 4-5 more if you didn't move you knight (which was also a mistake).