Serenes Forest's First Annual Chess Tournament

Life

Well, I propose that we hold a Chess tournament. I haven't played chess in three years and I'm dying to get back into the game. So let's have a tourney!

I'm undecided on the format (either full knock-out or round robin first) but I'll come up with it soon. I do have a bunch of rules (shamelessly copy pasted from somewhere), though.

1) Games can be played however you want. Standard notation over IRC is a great way to do it (probably the best too to be honest), but they can be played over msn, other websites or however you want to do it. You could even do it via Serenes PM if you want. Whatever you agree on. If you don't know standard notation, I will be more than happy to give you a quick lesson since it's not that hard to figure out.

2) All the standard forum-wide rules apply.

3) All players have a specific time-limit in each round. It does not matter how you get your match done, so long as it is played within the deadline. PM your opponent and agree how you wish to play.

4) PM any disputes to myself. I will make the final decisions.

5) You aren't allowed to use any resources except your own head to make your move choices. Things banned include move-generating bots, opening databases and endgame tablebases. Using a chessboard to view positions is acceptable and encouraged.

6) If you fail to complete your games within the given time period, and are deemed inactive, you will forfeit your game or be subbed out in the first round. Likewise, let us know if your opponent is inactive.

7) If both players agree, they may use a clock, but otherwise do not play a timed match. I suspect the standard will be to play without one. It is a friendly tournament, and I'm sure that you won't play stupidly.

8) It might be a good idea to keep a log. Don't send it to me, because I don't care, but in case of disputes it might help to keep one.

9) It should go without saying, but here in case someone is an idiot: standard chess rules obviously apply.

So yeah. Who's interested?

Group A:

Life Admiral

IntegerZero

Radiant Dragon

Furetchen

Pariah

Group B:

Excellen Browning

SlayerX

Snike

Kevin

Lightning

Group C:

Acacia Sgt.

JB25

Anouleth

Fayt Zelphyr

Narga_Rocks

Group D:

Lux Aeturna

WoMC

Mist

mikethfc

Bizz

Edited by Survivor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've never played before, that's fine. If you're a grandmaster, that's fine. It's all for fun. I'm not even that great myself.

If anyone wants help, just ask me.

Edited by Survivor

Life, you're going to have to give me a quick lesson because it's been a while, and also making me play is a bad idea because I suck epically at chess and I'm only going to humiliate myself

Time for a short chess notation tutorial for our lovely contestants!

(Also for the sake of enforcing uniform notation amongst contestants)

http://upload.wikime...ic_notation.png

On a chess board, each square can be identified with a unique letter and number. You have vertical files labeled a through h and you have horizontal ranks labeled 1 through 8. The white player has square a1 in the lower left corner of his side of the board, the black player has square h8 on his lower left. See the link above

Initials of pieces:

K is the King

Q is the Queen

R is the Rook

B is the Bishop

N is the Knight

pawns do not get an initial because they can only make one move.

On to the actual notation of moves

Each move of a piece is indicated by the piece's initial, plus the coordinate of the destination square. So if you want to move the Bishop to tile f6, you notate it as Bf6. If you want to move your pawn to f6, you notate it as f6.

Notation for captures

In case you capture your opponent's piece, you will put an x between the piece initial and the coordinate of the destination square. Let's say the white player was careless and left his queen undefended at tile f6. Luckily for you, you can capture it with your Bishop. The notation for this move will be Bxf6. When a pawn makes a capture, the file from which the pawn departed is used in place of a piece initial. For example, the white queen is standing at f6 again, and this time you can capture it with a pawn, which stands at g7, the notation of this move will be gxf6. Finally, en passant captures are notated as the capturing pawn's file of departure, then an x and then the coordinate of the square it moves to.

Disambiguating moves

Sometimes, two (or more) identical pieces (two knights) can move to the same square. In a case such as this, the piece's initial will be followed by (in descending order of preference)±

1.) the file of departure if they differ;

2.) the rank of departure if the files are the same, but the ranks differ;

3.) both the file and rank if neither alone can uniquely define the piece (only applies after pawn promotion)

Let's take two knights as an example. The one knight is on d4 while the other is on g3. Both of these knights can move to f5. The move of the knight that comes from d4 will be notated as Ndf3 and the move of the other knight will be indicated by Ngf3. For a second example, let's again take two knights. One is now b4 while the other is at b6. Both of them can move to d5 in this case. The move of the knight from b4 will be indicated as N4d5, the knight from b6 will get N6b5. For the third and final example, let's say you've got a pawn to the other side and promoted it to a knight(more on promotion in a bit). You now have 3 knights, and let's just say the first one is at d8, the second at d6, while the final is at h6. All three of them can move to f7. If you move the first knight to that tile, you write Nd8f7, the second gets Nd6f7 and the third one gets Nh6f7.

In case you can capture with two identical pieces, the above rules still apply. An example of a move like this would be Ndxf7.

Pawn promotion

If a pawn moves to it's last rank, it can promote. If it achieves this, the piece chosen to promote to is given after the move aka e1Q. (the pawn moves to e1 and promotes to queen

Castling

Castling is indicated by 0-0 for kingside and 0-0-0 for queenside. Queenside is castling to the side the queen used to stand in, kingside is to the other side. For white, castling left is queenside, and castling right is kingside. Vice versa for the black player.

Check and checkmate

YOU MUST ANNOUNCE CHECK AND MATE IN THE NOTATION. A move which puts the opposing player in check is followed by a "+", aka Nb6+. A move that puts the opposing player in check mate is followed by a "#" aka Bf5#.

End of game

The notation 1-0 at the end of the round means white won, while 0-1 means black won. ½-½ means it's a draw.

Extra notation for this tourney to keep order

Add which turn it is, aka 1. b3 is what you say if it's your first turn and you move a pawn to b3, 2. e3 if it's your second turn and you move another pawn, you get it.

I hope this helps those who need a refreshment course.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Hmm... It's been a while since I've played chess, oh well....

Count me in, though with school coming I'm not sure if I'd have the time... oh well, giving it a try anyway...

BTW, how exactly are the games going to be played out? Like, having a board next to and make the moves accordingly? XD

Probably via notation in PM's, MSN, chat, etc. That's my guess.

That was the plan, IIRC. That's what I read, anyway.

Also, count me in. Even though schoolwork may get in the way. Mist

Edited by Mist