Ideas for new staves

Anouleth

While Staves are already an extremely versatile weapon type (if you can call them weapons), I can't but feel that there's more that could be done with them. So I wanted to discuss some cool ideas for new staves.

• Trade Staff: Allows you to trade with a target, (1-MAG/2) range, D Rank. Could be used as part of trade chains, or even just to farm for exp before Barrier staves are readily accessible.
  • Vendor Staff: Allows you to interact with a target shop, (1-MAG/2) range, D Rank. Could possibly be merged with the Trade staff.
  • Wing Staff: Target gains flight (and associated weaknesses) for 1 turn, 1 range, C Rank. When it 'wears off', the unit can get stuck if surrounded by impassable terrain.
  • Capture Staff: Moves target enemy next to user, (1-MAG/2) range, B Rank. An enemy-targeted version of the rescue staff, could be used to draw enemies out, break chokepoints, or even given to enemy casters to let them mess with your formations.
  • Curse Staff: Cursed target cannot be healed or otherwise targeted by allies (for example, to trade), can only be targeted by Restore staves. Works like status staves, B Rank. Probably more appropriate for enemies than allies.
  • Shade Staff: Target will not be targeted by enemies if there is an alternative target (like FE10 Stillness) for 1 turn, 1 range, B Rank.
  • Dispel Staff: Removes beneficial effects on the target, (1-MAG/2) range, C Rank. Does not miss unlike status staves.
  • Banish Staff: Moves target enemy up to (1-MAG/2) away from current position, 1 range, A Rank. An enemy-targeted version of the Warp staff, could be used to get rid of dangerous enemies.
  • Teleport Staff: Moves any target up to (1-MAG/2) away from current position, (1-MAG/2) range, S Rank. An amalgam of all the extremely powerful movement affecting staves out there, and an interesting alternative to the typical 'heal everyone to full' S Rank staves.

If anyone has their own ideas, post them!

Edited by Black Star

These are really nice ideas, though. With the Wing staff, I might even add +1 movement for the turn but the restriction you can't stop on a tile you can't normally move on. Which prevents units getting completely stuck, and +1 move just because flying over battlefields is probably faster than running.

I love the teleport staff idea. Even if it only had 3 uses, it's sheer versatility and uniqueness compared to other S rank staves is pretty cool.

Edited by Gaius Frakkin' Baltar

I had this idea for the magic types having a physical-type tome to correspond to the melee weapon it sort of replaces for magic (Blade of Light, Lance of Flame, Axe of Shadow, and Arrow Staff) that were basically like the matching Steel weapon except for weight (and the arrow staff had to be tweaked because it would be kinda OP to keep them shielded like you usually do with healers and functioning as an attack too). I think the original plan for the arrow staff was to be counter only like in RD, but ... not suck.

Also, the Teleport staff could maybe work as both a rescue/ warp with increased uses? I also think the Banish/ Capture staff would be really easy to abuse for seize chapters: moving the boss off the throne and avoiding a tough fight seems pretty lame.

Maybe we can break thrones even more and make them make the person sitting on it immune to Capture.

All bosses would probably be immune to it anyway. Otherwise that staff would be way too broken unless it's only available for rout and defend maps.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Maybe we can break thrones even more and make them make the person sitting on it immune to Capture.

Well, that would kind of go without saying. I mean, we don't let units shove bosses off Seize points, do we?

I don't really think we need to make staves better than they already are...

Because preserving the subtle, intricate balance of Fire Emblem is such a high priority?

Your ideas of a Vendor and Wing staff is outright ridiculous.

Ridiculous because they're too powerful? In certain cases, the Wing staff is pretty useless (if there are lots of archers, or if the terrain is too big to cross in a single turn). For actual flying utility, it's not quite as good as the real thing, which I suppose is pretty appropriate.

These are really nice ideas, though. With the Wing staff, I might even add +1 movement for the turn but the restriction you can't stop on a tile you can't normally move on. Which prevents units getting completely stuck, and +1 move just because flying over battlefields is probably faster than running.

I guess that's another way to do it.

Edited by Black Star

Ridiculous because they're too powerful? In certain cases, the Wing staff is pretty useless (if there are lots of archers, or if the terrain is too big to cross in a single turn). For actual flying utility, it's not quite as good as the real thing, which I suppose is pretty appropriate.

Because of that, and well...making people fly with staves is just too reality-defiant. Even for FE. Let's make Seth Superman now. :awesome:

Because of that, and well...making people fly with staves is just too reality-defiant. Even for FE. Let's make Seth Superman now. :awesome:

Seth is Superman already. Giving him flying would be superfluous. It would probably have more use for fun than efficiency because it's not going to help you rescue drop people any better since it won't change your aid.

Edited by Reinfleche

Because preserving the subtle, intricate balance of Fire Emblem is such a high priority?

Completely missing the point. Players don't need new ways to trivialize Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind if half of your suggestions were enemy only just to screw the player, but stuff like Capture, Banish, and Teleport are too powerful when put in players' hands.

Completely missing the point. Players don't need new ways to trivialize Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind if half of your suggestions were enemy only just to screw the player, but stuff like Capture, Banish, and Teleport are too powerful when put in players' hands.

Well, there's no reason that enemy staff users couldn't use Dispel or Capture or Banish themselves. And it would probably be a good deal scarier than the fearsome Rescue Bishop in 3-11 or whatever.

But you are right that in general, having powerful staves is much more of a benefit for the player than the enemy (who generally fail to use them effectively).

Edited by Black Star

And there's nothing wrong with powerful items in players hands. Unless you're picky. Then you can not use them

I would advocate staves which adjust stats, buffing or debuffing by a few amount of points. Five seems a good strong number. A Remove staff is always useful (Re-move, not takeaway).

Magic Rune Staff would be good too, to erect walls temporarily. I had a list made some weeks ago when I was gonna make a thread like this, but considering how FE fandom is now, it wasn't worth it.

I don't like wing staff ;;' I like fliers being the only fliers

Thief staff from FE5 was cool

I also wouldnt mind Aum staff returning

Stone staves would be ok imo

maybe a few personal staves but I can't think of anything.

Maybe stat staves other than barrier/ward

Edited by Queen_Elincia

And there's nothing wrong with powerful items in players hands. Unless you're picky. Then you can not use them

Game difficulty, unfortunately, isn't officially defined by self-imposed restrictions. Hard games aren't hard because the players choose to make it so.

Game difficulty, unfortunately, isn't officially defined by self-imposed restrictions. Hard games aren't hard because the players choose to make it so.

Not everyone has to care about difficulty. And there can be drawbacks to staves as well, such as afflicting the user in some bad manner. Maybe even canceling out turns.

Luckily there's more tastes than just yours or mine.

Not everyone has to care about difficulty. And there can be drawbacks to staves as well, such as afflicting the user in some bad manner. Maybe even canceling out turns.

So you wouldn't object if halfway through the game, you get an "Autowin" staff that finishes the rest of the game for you, right?

More on-topic:

I'd agree with those who say that the potential for staves is undertapped, but I think there is a problem with giving a single weapon type too many abilities. Furthermore, the better abilities are typically only accessible by 2-4 characters out of the entire cast. Existing staves currently:

- heal ally

- restore ally status

- inflict enemy status

- augment ally stats

- transport ally units

- perform map effects

- steal enemy items

- repair ally items

Giving them much else would concentrate too much power in the hands of a handful of unit types (not that it's incredibly imbalanced already). I think it would be acceptable if we introduced new staves while getting rid of staves that inflict enemy status and assigning those attributes to certain weapons instead (e.g. FE5 Poison, Stone, Blizzard).

Edited by dondon151