Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

screenshots of the glitch would be helpful

if you're using a cam1 code try changing the coordinates to be closer to the centre of the map

Edited by The Booty Wawriah

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two last questions for now (almost finished with the chapter)

How do I make units go offscrean?

I tried using a combination of Char Move [X,Y] and DISA [X,Y] but it crashed my game.

Also how would I make a protect character for X amount of turns scenario. I tried using Nightmare but it didn't work.

Edited by Pack yak

Two last questions for now (almost finished with the chapter)

How do I make units go offscrean?

I tried using a combination of Char Move [X,Y] and DISA [X,Y] but it crashed my game.

Also how would I make a protect character for X amount of turns scenario. I tried using Nightmare but it didn't work.

1. Did you use MOVE Char [X,Y] or Char Move [X,Y] because the latter will definitely crash your game. Order is important! You also need to use ENUN after any MOVE command (but not if you use the Move(X,Y) macro)

2. You'd need to use the death quote editor of the character and set Trigger ID to 0x65 so that it causes a game over if they die (make sure CauseGameOverIfLordDies is in the Misc events too) if it's a player character. Then you need to set the events so that the chapter ends on a certain chapter e.g.:

TurnEvents:
TurnEventPlayer(0x00,EndingEvent,ZZ)
TURN

EndingEvent:
MNCH 0xYY
ENDA

where ZZ is the number of turns in DECIMAL and 0xYY is the chapter ID in HEXADECIMAL

Lastly, in the Chapter Data Editor, set the Goal Window information to Turn number and change the value of "Turn to count down to +1" to whatever, and change the text slot to match whatever you want the turn goal to be i.e. use FEditor to change 0x800 to "Defend Lyn" and then change it in the module to 0x800

Edited by Agro

Hi.

So after finishing the last two chapters with your help, I thought I could do this one on my own.

I was mistaken.

For some reason, instead of opening to the map (it did right after I edited everything in Nightmare) the screan simply turns black.

Yes its chapter 2.

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS
#include EAstdlib.event
EventPointerTable(0x0F,Pointers)
ORG 0xD89000
Pointers:
POIN Turn_events
POIN Character_events
POIN Location_events
POIN Misc_events
POIN TrapData TrapData
POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad
POIN Good Good Good Good
POIN Opening_event Ending_event
Bad:
UNIT
Good:
UNIT
Turn_events:
TURN 0x00 (Opening_event) [01,00] 0x0 0x00
TURN 0x00 Turn1 [01,00] 0x8 0x00
END_MAIN
Turn1:
Character_events:
END_MAIN
Location_events:
END_MAIN
Misc_events:
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
END_MAIN
Opening_event:
ENDA
Ending_event:
MoveToChapter
ENDA
TrapData:
ENDTRAP
MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

seems odd since you have no units

I'd suggest putting an ENDA in turn1, a chapter value for the MoveToChapter Macro and take out the enda after it and then the obvious things like check to make sure there's a map in the chapter slot you're using as well as correct object set config and palette

I think your problem lies in not having pretty much anything in the events.

No units, no opening event. Nothing, actually.

You should try to add some more things before you actually test it. Put some placeholder units and make them load in the opening event, assemble and check if it works.

EDIT:

Bad:

UNIT
Good:
UNIT

Also, this should be like this if you don't have any units:

Bad:
UNIT Empty

Good:
UNIT Empty
Edited by ShadielTH

Nope. 0xD89000 is free space.

Dunno why FEditor gives you that error, though. Are you sure you're opening the ROM?

Try running it in VBA, perhaps you messed up something.

Mar was sent to 00D89000

ORG is 0x8D9000

Map and Events are 0x89000

This is really really confusing. Is it org 0xD89000 or org 0x8D900? The latter is not within free space and will probably break your game at one point or another. If it's the former, then your events are overwriting your map. Also, if you have org 0xD89000 in your event file, then your events are at 0xD89000, not 0x89000. Additionally, your map and events can't occupy the same space, since, as I said before, your events are overwriting your map. This is why your map is not displaying, because it doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by Agro

Dig out your fresh ROM, go to address 8D9000 and copy the length of your events (likely to be no more than 0x1000 bytes or so) and paste-WRITE (ctrl+B, NOT CTRL+V) at that address.

Afterwards, fix up your events so that you're not writing to 8D9000 anymore.

So after rebooting everything onto a back up, I've come across my game not loading the opening event (which is a convo on a background) and I have no idea how to resolve it. I've looked for answers in other places, but once again I ask you guys for help.