Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah

-For some reason it still only goes to black (probably because I haven't edited in the opening event yet...)

Edit-

Finished opening event, as well as most of chapter. inserted it. Still is a pitch black screen.

So apparantly I need a "BIOS file" to get correct behavior.

"Unsupported BIOS function b1 called from 06000034. A BIOS file is needed to get correct behavior."

Edited by Pack yak

tell me

exactly

what you have done to your ROM

you're not very good at this "giving the troubleshooter the information he needs" thing are you

Edited by CT075

*Sigh*

I've done the exact same thing I've described.

prolouge was already described to you, so unsure if you want me to repeat that.

Chap 1 I didn't import a map, instead using replacing chap 1s map with chap 16/17 (all info on nightmare is accurate and this chapter works fine)

Chap 2- Exported map to 00D91870, map address in nightmare put as 0x8D89000.

ORG put as 0xD91870 Events as 0x8D91870.

Thats pretty much everything.

Although I did save over text in the FEditor (055C-055E) I'm unsure if its important data or not

Edited by Pack yak

Chap 2- Exported map to 00D91870, map address in nightmare put as 00D89000.

2 different offsets mentioned for the map? Is it 0xD91870 or 0xD89000?

Regardless of which one it is, the thing you put in nightmare is the POINTER not the offset so you put 8 at the beginning of whatever it is. eg offset 0xD00000 is 0x8D00000 in nightmare

the pointer to the map data is not actually pointing to the map

i'd wager that's the problem

Edited by CT075

Changed the pointer map address to 0xD891870, as well as event data (apparantly I mixed the two up)

Instead of staying on a black screan, the game opens to the opening credits instead of playing the map.

So progress or a step back?

Also changed ORG to 0xD89000

Edited by Pack yak

alright

follow my instructions exactly

Assemble your events. If you have a line in your event file that says "EventPointerTable" near the top, you're done with the events.

Insert your map (SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE OFFSET OF THE EVENT FILE). In nightmare, change the pointer to your chapter's map to the offset that you just used (for the map).

Alternatively you can read this

If that still doesn't work it's a problem with your script.

EDIT

wait please tell me you're not pointing your events and your map data to the same place

EDIT 2:

ORG put as 0xD91870 Events as 0x8D91870.

wait wat

how did i not catch this

you assembled your map to an offset and then wrote your events to that same offset

don't do that

Edited by CT075

both of those errors are caused by something in the internal game code fucking up; typically i've only encountered the BIOS error when i end up corrupting data in some way or other (like trying to parse event data as a map or fucking with the values some other way)

the resetting issue is more likely to be caused by the events themselves (VBA's behavior is to just reset upon a crash because the alternative is a very unpleasant noise that basically only people who play cartridge will ever hear); if you've followed my instructions correctly and it still happens i'll need to see your script

ROM still resets.

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

#include EAstdlib.event
EventPointerTable(0x0F,Pointers)
ORG 0xD89000
Pointers:
POIN Turn_events
POIN Character_events
POIN Location_events
POIN Misc_events
POIN TrapData TrapData
POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad
POIN Good Good Good Good
POIN Opening_event Ending_event
Bad:
UNIT
Good:
UNIT Kent_t 0x28 0x00 Level(6,Ally,False) [5,28][5,28] [steelSword,IronSpear] [0x00]
UNIT Oswin Knight 0x00 Level(5,Ally,False) [5,29] [5,29] [ironSpear] [0x00]
UNIT
Turn_events:
TURN 0x00 Opening_event [01,00] 0x0 0x00
TURN 0x00 Turn1 [01,00] 0x8 0x00
END_MAIN
Turn1:
SHOWMAP
STAL 20
OOBB
ENDA
Character_events:
END_MAIN
Location_events:
END_MAIN
Misc_events:
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
END_MAIN
Opening_event:
BACG 0x1C
TEX1 0x814
REMA
ENDA
Ending_event:
MoveToChapter(03)
TrapData:
ENDTRAP
MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

Haven't worked on script as much due to the errors.
Nightmare values:
events: 0x8D89000
map: 0x8D91870
ORG listed in spoiler.
Mar 00D91870
if anymore info needed inform me

OK, so...

• i can change A Girl from the Plains to Cleric Bob, but not Prologue: A Girl from the Plains to Versus: Cleric Bob

Here's what I did:

• Inserted map at D00000.
  • Changed the event references to the prologue map is at 0x8D00000.
  • Changed the tilesets and stuff in the Chapter Data Editor to the proper things.
  • Checked the ROM - it worked fine.
  • Changed A Girl from the Plains (in slot 55C in FEditor Adv) to Cleric Bob (don't ask, not my idea).
  • Checked ROM, everything worked fine.
  • Changed Prologue: A Girl from the Plains (in slot 58C) to Versus: Cleric Bob.
  • Checked ROM - after the title screen, it hanged for a bit, then froze.
  • Got someone elses Feditor Adv (through the magical powers of Dropbox), tried all the above, everything happened the same.

Any help?

(I know this isn't actually EA problem. But it feels to small of a problem to make a thread...)

Edited by Kurix

Those chapter name slots are tricky to work with, for some reason they can destroy the whole game if you're not careful with them.

Revert to a backup and make sure there are NO other programs open. Search "The Girl" or whatever in feditor and cycle through all the results carefully before editing anything. Then change just one, note the slot, apply and save and check the rom. If it worked, great. If not, repeat the above but avoid the dangerous slot. Do this until you have the desired effect.

For the future, only post EA related issues in the EA question thread. It's cluttered enough already.

Edited by Brendor the Hungry

what the heck are those /*#*/'s

oh they're comments, those only work in C, C++, and other normal programming languages

use

//

for commenting a line

some people are also loading on the wall and thus can't move(which will cause an error)

Edited by Kitty of Time

what the heck are those /*#*/'s

oh they're comments, those only work in C, C++, and other normal programming languages

use

//

for commenting a line

some people are also loading on the wall and thus can't move(which will cause an error)

I thought for sure it would have worked in EA as well, but guess not @_@

But yeah, i was testing on lyns map earlier (because of issues with FEditor)

and i forgot to take those out

sorry

Hey, I have a question that I posted a long time ago and it never got answered. (overlooked perhaps?)

In my FE7 hack, I set Matthew (NPC) to talk to Erk (Player) using the AI recruitment module in Nightmare and set Matthew's AI to [0x06,0x0B,0x0A,0x00]

(I set the AI to that a long time ago, so I don't actually remember where I got the source for it.)

Anyways, during the NPC turn, Matthew follows Erk and triggers a conversation once he is in range. After the conversation, Matthew is converted to the Player's side (using CUSI 0x00), but he just vanishes from the map entirely right after.

The weird part is when scrolling through the Player character stat pages, Matthew appears there with nothing out of the ordinary. Another thing is that when Matthew's stat page is cancelled to return to the map, the cursor hovers over where he vanished in the first place.

I've played around with a bunch of stuff, seeing if I may have left something out, but I don't see anything that seems incorrect, from a novice's point of view.

Here's the code for the entire chapter, with bolded elements that relate to Matthew:

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS
#include EAstdlib.event
#include "Definitions.txt"
#include "Macros.txt"
EventPointerTable(0x25,Pointers)
ORG 0xD80CA0
Pointers:
POIN Turn_events
POIN Character_events
POIN Location_events
POIN Misc_events
POIN TrapData TrapData
POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad
POIN Good Good Good Good
POIN Opening_event Ending_event
Bad:
UNIT 0x96 Mage 0x00 Level(7,Enemy,True) [16,2] [16,2] [bolting] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Empty
Good:
UNIT xx Myrmidon_F 0x00 Level(1,Ally,False) [0,19] [4,19] [ironSword, Vulnerary] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Cavalier xx Level(3,Ally,False) [0,19] [5,19] [slimSpear, IronSword, Vulnerary] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Knight xx Level(4,Ally,False) [0,19] [7,18] [steelSpear] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Nomad xx Level(3,Ally,False) [0,19] [10,19] [steelBow, IronBow] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Mercenary xx Level(3,Ally,False) [0,19] [9,18] [steelSword, Elixir, Vulnerary] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Priest xx Level(6,Ally,False) [0,19] [7,19] [Heal, Barrier, Vulnerary] [NOAI]
UNIT xx Archer xx Level(1,Ally,False) [0,19] [5,18] [ironBow] [NOAI]
UNIT Erk Mage xx Level(10,Ally,False) [0,19] [16,18] [Elfire] [NOAI]
UNIT Empty
NPCMatthew:
UNIT Matthew Thief xx Level(8,NPC,False) [0,19] [16,11] [ironSword] [0x06,0x0B,0x0A,0x00]
UNIT Empty
Turn_events:
TurnEventPlayer(0x00,Opening_event,1)
END_MAIN
Character_events:
CharacterEvent(0x06,MatthewErk,Matthew,Erk)
END_MAIN
MatthewErk:
MUEN 0x05
STAL 20
MUS1 0x42
Text(0x0F,0x81A)
CUSI Matthew 0x00
MUEN 0x05
MUS1 0x30
ENDA
Location_events:
END_MAIN
Misc_events:
DefeatAll(Ending_event)
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
END_MAIN
Opening_event:
LOMA 0x06 [0,0]
LOU1 Bad
ENUN
LOU1 Good
ENUN
LOU1 NPCMatthew
ENUN
ENDA
Ending_event:
MoveToChapter(0x07)
ENDA
TrapData:
ENDTRAP
MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

If there are any other details that need to be known, just ask away.
Any help on this matter is appreciated. Thanks!
Edited by 42_

Are you able to make a simple Erk-talk-to-Matthew event and get Matthew to switch sides normally? It would help to know if it's the AI causing the issue.

Also, what's with the 'xx' I'm seeing in the unit data. A definition on your end?

Oh, the 'xx' is just me blanking out the character names, lol.

I also just tested the aforementioned Erk-talk-to-Matthew event and Matthew does in fact switch sides without vanishing. (Using the exact same code in "MatthewErk")

Perhaps different code is needed, since the CharacterEvent macro (I would assume) is used for player characters to interact with other units.