1. 1. New game or remake?

• New game
    • Remake
    • Not bothered
  2. 2. 2D or (polygon) 3D?

• 2D
    • 3D
    • No preference

I'd rather see a new game than a remake.

That said, Intelligent Systems Fire Emblem team seems rather incompetent when it comes to 2D or 3D graphics. They were on the right track with Radiant Dawn, but god knows if they can adapt their assets for the 3DS. Or maybe they'll build it from ground up? Their 2D graphics ever since the GBA can be best described as funky and not in a good way.

If the game was in 3D, I'd rather they put more effort into going full cel-shaded than the half-assed almost cel-shaded look for the beta FE9 screens. I don't trust IS when it comes to other more advanced shaders. At least they got bloom and EMBM functioning on RD.

I'd rather not see a remake of 4 and 5 simply because people will bitch no matter what they do.

Edited by Super Mecha Death Christ

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's really no need for a remake, since FE4-6 are all fairly polished enough. FE1 and Book 2 really needed some of the changes in their remakes. Regardless, I definitely want a new Fire Emblem title, and preferably 2D. Maybe it'd actually convince me to buy a 3DS.

I don't really see the point of adding in 3D graphics. It adds very little and only makes production longer and more expensive.

Graphics whores disagree [that it adds very little]. I personally don't value high-end graphics much myself, but it's pretty obvious that Nintendo in particular is always known for being on the short end in the graphics department. For developers trying to sell, the way a game looks can sometimes be more important than the actual game part.

Graphics whores disagree [that it adds very little]. I personally don't value high-end graphics much myself, but it's pretty obvious that Nintendo in particular is always known for being on the short end in the graphics department. For developers trying to sell, the way a game looks can sometimes be more important than the actual game part.

Yeah. It's the FUN and CHALLENGE that counts. Not eyecandy koolio graphics and flashy animations that only bring more n00bs to the series.

/Totally not advertising FE5

Edited by Soul

Yet despite the supposedly inferior graphics of the DS and Wii, they completely dominated the market and made Sony and Microsoft look like chumps. Graphics is important, to a certain extent, but it's perfectly reasonable for a game to have poor technical specs and still look good. To borrow an analogy from Yahtzee, you don't create the best painting by using the most expensive paints.

Not eyecandy koolio graphics and flashy animations that only bring more n00bs to the series.

These flashy animations and the like help attract new people to the series, thus making the FE series more profitable, which in turn results in more FE games being produced. And you say that you are against this, right?

Yet despite the supposedly inferior graphics of the DS and Wii, they completely dominated the market and made Sony and Microsoft look like chumps. Graphics is important, to a certain extent, but it's perfectly reasonable for a game to have poor technical specs and still look good. To borrow an analogy from Yahtzee, you don't create the best painting by using the most expensive paints.

I don't doubt that. Luckily Nintendo has a reputation and dedicated fans, making their graphics not as big of a deal, at least when it comes to their more popular franchises, one of which Fire Emblem is not.

Again, I'm not a graphics whore myself. I generally couldn't care less what a new game looks like as long as it doesn't look like it's ten years old or like they didn't even try. But the entire gaming world is not me, and graphics are always a big discussion.

These flashy animations and the like help attract new people to the series, thus making the FE series more profitable, which in turn results in more FE games being produced. And you say that you are against this, right?

See, NinjaMonkey knows what I'm saying.

Yeah. It's the FUN and CHALLENGE that counts. Not eyecandy koolio graphics and flashy animations that only brings more n00bs to the series.

/Totally not advertising FE5

And this sentence is to avoid a verbal warning due to one-word posts.

Just as long as they don't use GBA style animations, I'm in.

EDIT: Also, I voted polygonal graphics because FE9 & 10's graphics are already like looking into a Diorama to begin with, which will mesh well with the 3D effect, and camera angles are good for making use of 3D.

Edited by Highlander!Rody

I happen to appreciate decency and not heavy commercializing. Just look where that's gotten celebrities these days.

Popularity =/= Decency

Console games get commercialized to death when compared to PC games. Even Fire Emblem, despite not suffering as much.

Just saying.

Edited by Radeon

And this sentence is to avoid a verbal warning due to one-word posts.

Because none of us were noobs when we started the series, right?

Looks like Soul is against the series expanding it's fanbase (which is really dumb, if you ask me).

I agree, it is really dumb.

I happen to appreciate decency and not heavy commercializing. Just look where that's gotten celebrities these days.

Popularity =/= Decency

Apples and oranges. You talk like having better graphics and/or a bigger fanbase will automatically make the games worse.

Again, I'm not a graphics whore myself. I generally couldn't care less what a new game looks like as long as it doesn't look like it's ten years old or like they didn't even try. But the entire gaming world is not me, and graphics are always a big discussion.

If they want to waste money on pointless graphics and drive up the price of the hardware/software, that's their loss. I just don't want anything to do with it and I don't see why I should have to pay more because of it.

I think you're overrating the trouble it takes to make 3D graphics. It may take awhile to make an individual model or texture, but it is much faster to animate them in return, and they can simply port over FE9/10's engine.

The game will also be priced similarly to other games regardless.

Edited by Highlander!Rody

If they want to waste money on pointless graphics and drive up the price of the hardware/software, that's their loss. I just don't want anything to do with it and I don't see why I should have to pay more because of it.

Who is "their" in your context? I can only assume it's the companies. And who else is affected by the losses of these companies? The people who want what they produce. Us. I want Fire Emblem to be successful because I want to keep playing and discussing it. If improved graphics help that, I'm all for it.

Popularity =/= Decency

You're implying that Fire Emblem getting more popular or getting better graphics will necessarily mean that it will get worse.

I don't have to explain to anyone how that doesn't make sense.

Who is "their" in your context? I can only assume it's the companies. And who else is affected by the losses of these companies? The people who want what they produce. Us. I want Fire Emblem to be successful because I want to keep playing and discussing it. If improved graphics help that, I'm all for it.

And I don't think improved graphics will make it more successful.

I think you're overrating the trouble it takes to make 3D graphics. It may take awhile to make an individual model or texture, but it is much faster to animate them in return, and they can simply port over FE9/10's engine.

The game will also be priced similarly to other games regardless.

Maybe I am, I don't know anything about game programming. I don't mind improved graphics if it doesn't make the game cost more, or take longer to be released.

And I don't think improved graphics will make it more successful.

But there's no doubt that it would have wider appeal with better graphics. I don't think anyone actually prefers ugly games.