31 members have voted

1. 1. What is the answer?

1st - Parenthesis

2nd - Exponent

3rd - Multiplication

3rd - Division

4th - Addition

4th - Subtraction

For same precedence cases it is done from left to right.

Oh snap, throughout my entire elementary school life, I've always been taught that division comes before multiplication...

1st - Parenthesis

2nd - Exponent

3rd - Multiplication

3rd - Division

4th - Addition

4th - Subtraction

For same precedence cases it is done from left to right.

Multiplication and Division are on the same level, while Addition and Subtraction are on the same level.

There is no difference between adding -2 and subtracting 2.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by Paperblade

Multiplication and Division are on the same level, while Addition and Subtraction are on the same level.

There is no difference between adding -2 and subtracting 2.

Edit: Clarification

Isn't that why I labeled both Multiplication and Division with "3rd" while Addition and Subtraction were labeled "4th" as if to say their level of precedence is the same?

Multiplication/division work like addition/subtraction - same priority, so go right to left.

Left to right.

Edited by Sirius

Isn't that why I labeled both Multiplication and Division with "3rd" while Addition and Subtraction were labeled "4th"?

Wow I can't read.

I'm too used to idiots who don't know basic order of operations spreading this Multiplication > Division > Addition > Subtraction shit

Edited by Paperblade

Wow I can't read.

I'm too used to idiots who don't know basic order of operations spreading this Multiplication > Division > Addition > Subtraction shit

Understandable.

Oh snap, throughout my entire elementary school life, I've always been taught that division comes before multiplication...

For things like this we're usually given words to remember the order of things. In this case, it's "PEMDAS". The only thing that remains after that is to recall that M&D are equal in precedence level with the same being true for A&S.

Multiplication/division work like addition/subtraction - same priority, so go right to left.

Really? I thought most programming languages uses left to right.

Understandable.

For things like this we're usually given words to remember the order of things. In this case, it's "PEMDAS". The only thing that remains after that is to recall that M&D are equal in precedence level with the same being true for A&S.

I learned it as BoDMAS (B for Brackets) but yeah, it's the same thing if multiplication and division are the same. I guess all that really matters HERE is whether it goes from left to right or right to left.

For this sort of complicated mathematicals, use Wolfram Alpha.

We already know that the answer is 288, and Wolfram Alpha agrees with that.

Edited by Kiku-Ichimonji