Any Dragon Quest fans here?

Aoibara

I got started in the series with Dragon Warrior I & II on the Game Boy Color. Needless to say, II is probably still my favorite, to this day. I guess having all of the spells and such change names at some point after II didn't help me get interested in the later entries. Though, I do still enjoy VIII (well, aside from the ridiculous amount of money you need to grind) and IX (well, barring the inherent multiplayer nature of the game).

VI and III were my childhood. The best hands down. Some love for IV, V, and VII too, but I wasn't a particularly big fan of either I or II (the content was too thin after having been weened on later generations), VII (didn't do that whole PS2 thing), or IX (it felt tired).

Edited by Le Communard

I got IX on a whim, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm thinking about getting V for DS too if no good 3DS games (other than Zelda) come out this year. I've heard it's the best of the three remade DS games.

Edited by Ragnell

Fuck yesh I am. I'll be getting around to that Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 - Professional edition pretty soon once my interest in the series peaks again. I've played most of the games--but I haven't actually finished too many of them. I've played IX, III, IV, and I to completion, though DQI was mostly blind grindings.

I actually played III with my brother, the Super Famicom remake version. he took two characters and I took the other two. It was good fun. We didn't do any of the bonus content though. Dragon Quest games have the worst tendency to become monotonous as they near their end. DQVII is my most favorite though. Awesome stories and graphics and style.

It's only my favourite RPG series ever! I would have to say there is a tie between IV and VI for first place: IV for being such an amazing NES game (you show those early 90s girls how it's done, Alena!) and VI for being my very first game I played on emulator, also enjoyed the class system. =m =

I'm currently playing through VIII, but I'm hindering due to the shear size of the world map and my obsession to find every chest and VII, but that's on emulator and PSx emulators run at a sloth pace on my fossil of a PC.

I've played IV, VII, and VIII, I haven't finished VIII though. And I've also played the original DQM for the GB, that was the hardest for me but it might be because I played it as a kid and I sucked at video games.

VII (didn't do that whole PS2 thing)

Think you mean VIII, VII is the PSX one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played and defeated Dragon Quest I, II (the only one that I've played but haven't defeated), III, IV, V, VI, and IX.

I'm really into IX right now. I'm currently working on grinding all 13 of my characters to level 99 in all vocations (revocating each of them twice except for my main character who was revocated 10 times as a mage in order to ensure really high quality grottoes, which didn't seem to work), getting S Rank Weapons and getting them to their 5 star weapon upgrade (like the Overcritical Fan and Galaxy Axe), and milking the legacy bosses of orbs, equipment, and experience.

I can't really choose a favourite, but it'd probably be III, IV, V, or IX. Once I play through VI again, I might add it to that list as well. I can't really remember much from it.

I've played and defeated Dragon Quest I, II (the only one that I've played but haven't defeated), III, IV, V, VI, and IX.

I'm really into IX right now. I'm currently working on grinding all 13 of my characters to level 99 in all vocations (revocating each of them twice except for my main character who was revocated 10 times as a mage in order to ensure really high quality grottoes, which didn't seem to work), getting S Rank Weapons and getting them to their 5 star weapon upgrade (like the Overcritical Fan and Galaxy Axe), and milking the legacy bosses of orbs, equipment, and experience.

I can't really choose a favourite, but it'd probably be III, IV, V, or IX. Once I play through VI again, I might add it to that list as well. I can't really remember much from it.

Dat Rhone, isn't it? It took me many tries in my legit Warrior copy to get through it, NEVER AGAIN. Other than that, the soundtrack is probably my favourite in the entire series for whatever reason.

DQII is my favourite in the series and also my favourite game of all time. It's probably the hardest in the series but that's what I like about it. I really hate how other RPGs let you go nuts grinding which makes the game a joke - DQII has none of that pussy crap. No amount of grinding could save me and I only beat it when I used an emulator and save stated Malroth to death.

Speaking of Dragon Quest II, I think this article is quite relevant:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/10/dragon-quest-anniversary-collection-brings-first-three-games-to-wii/

To summarize, it'll have DQI (Famicom), DQII (Famicom), DQIII (Famicom), DQI&II (SFC), and DQIII (SFC) on it. Personally, I'd have preferred a little more effort on SE's part (perhaps a compilation with updated graphics and scripts that could be played through chronologically (3 -> 1 -> 2) to get the full effect of the series), but they are trying to get DQX done, I suppose.

I'd also have liked the GBC version of DQI&II, but I guess I'll just have to wait until it's available on the 3DS Virtual Console...

EDIT - Also, maybe it was just a change in the GBC version of DQI&II, but I distinctly remember that grinding was quite helpful in surviving against Hargon and Sidoh.

Edited by Lord Glenn