Fe7 Promotions w/ choice

Bloodth3rsty

Is it somehow possible to hack in the option to choose between classes when promoting (Fe8) into a Fe7 Rom? Even if it hasn't been done before and there are no patches for it - would it still be theoretically possible?

There are hacks for FE4 and FE5 that allow branched promotions, even though it doesn't exist normally. So I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for FE7. Just don't expect it to be easy.

There are hacks for FE4 and FE5 that allow branched promotions, even though it doesn't exist normally. So I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for FE7. Just don't expect it to be easy.

Yeah, I saw those when I was playing FEBinary. Hey, Vince, d'you think there'd be any way for the hacking community to make some kind of event editing program/map making program for FE4/5?

Off-topic, I know, but the question's pretty much been answered already

Yeah, I saw those when I was playing FEBinary. Hey, Vince, d'you think there'd be any way for the hacking community to make some kind of event editing program/map making program for FE4/5?

There is a functioning map editor for FE4, which I believe is linked from the FE Binary Hacks topic. Apparently there's also a map editor for FE5 (I once saw a screenshot of the editor), but it doesn't seem to be publically available.

No clue about event editing, although I get the feeling I've seen notes about them somewhere. I think it might be in the FE0885 file (it's in Japanese and incomplete).

Edited by VincentASM

There is a functioning map editor for FE4, which I believe is linked from the FE Binary Hacks topic. Apparently there's also a map editor for FE5 (I once saw a screenshot of the editor), but it doesn't seem to be publically available.

No clue about event editing, although I get the feeling I've seen notes about them somewhere. I think it might be in the FE0885 file (it's in Japanese and incomplete).

Damn. It would be really awesome to make an actual fully edited FE5 hack. Too bad we chose to take apart the GBA games, eh? :P

I bet if Xeld, Nintenlord, and all them had gotten into FE5, we'd be making hacks of different games now xD

• 3 weeks later...

If Event Assembler ever gets as customizable as I'm planning it to, adding support for other FE games would be as easy as adding new codes (using language raws) to current version. Of course, if you are willing to have 2 versions of language raws sitting on your computer, you can add some limited support for FEwhatever game already. You'll just have to start from scratch as far as event codes do and use FE6, FE7 or FE8 as your games name no matter what game you are really doing the codes. I'm doing my best to keep macros and language raws as backwards compatible as possible, so if someone starts now, they/I may be able to transfer the new game support to some future EA version very easily.

^And that's why Nintenlord is awesome. Well, one of the "why"'s.

Is it somehow possible to hack in the option to choose between classes when promoting (Fe8) into a Fe7 Rom? Even if it hasn't been done before and there are no patches for it - would it still be theoretically possible?

Create an ASM hack that alters the item effect of promotion items. You could probably steal the basic idea from FE8 by debugging FE8 and looking at its assembly, then creating a parallel version. But creating the menu to choose such a promotion, as well as load the standing sprite of the battle animation, etc., it'd actually be a relatively complex ASM hack because you wouldn't be just editing stuff or changing how something works, you'd be adding a totally new feature. It's one thing to change some random value or rework some formula that acts in the background, but yeah.

In short it's possible but not within the reach of most people here...