Let's Play Rondo of Swords

Haze

So to ease my boredom somewhat, I've decided to do a Let's Play of Rondo of Swords.

Rondo of Swords is a TBS akin to Fire Emblem for the DS, however it has a vastly different approach to the combat system, as well as a branching storyline.

With regards to the combat system, as opposed to walking up to an enemy and selecting attack players move their units through allied and enemy units to gain buffs(supports) and attack, respectfully, thus combining movement and attacking into one action(except for archers, more on them later), and allowing you to strike waves of enemies at once(this is kind of where mounted units shine.) Characters also have skills available for use, however using an active skill will prevent you from moving that turn. All characters also have Overbreaks(OBs), these consist of gauges that fill up and can be used for their Overbreak itself which varies from character to character(The main character shoots a sword beam in a straight line, your early tank distributes his hp to nearby allies, etc.)

Before I actually get into the game proper(I need to decide on which method to tackle the first chapter with, odd as that may sound), here's a preview:

[spoiler=Tutorial 2: Support Skills]

IUtRA.jpg

RVdKK.jpg

This is Igraine(Raine), she's the obligatory tutorial girl whom I believe joins you midway through the game.

ZwhXw.jpg

QWWzl.jpg

Gladly!

icMKy.jpg

Please ignore the text errors, I'll find a way to fix them. Also elipses.

QLI09.jpg

This is what you want me to do right? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you told me to do.

SN9TW.jpg

mJkQx.jpg

H6iJL.jpg

EKOHm.jpg

But you said just to pass through you!

bZ8eQ.jpg

No I'm pretty sure it was.

8Kv9N.jpg

N0OgA.jpg

Let's try this again.

OJsWd.jpg

oW8yy.jpg

Shut up Raine! You're not helping!

8Kv9N.jpg

[spoiler=Tutorial 5 - Zone of Control]

ErwML.jpg

If it's anything like the last four lessons I'd like to leave the course please.

tBtje.jpg

p7W1w.jpg

This is a bastard skill by the way, just throwing that out there.

6zgNo.jpg

Oh thank god for that.

jeaok.jpg

jPIJX.gif

Cut and run, or wipe the whole map out for CH 1? That's what I love about this game: You can win even the most hopeless of battles.

Okay Chapter 1, decided to run, maybe I'll go back and do it the "kill everything" way as a bonus later.

lB0UHl.jpg

This text scrolls way way too fast, not even kidding.

D9EkPl.jpg

Yeah, that's how convince people to surrender, threaten them!

Bl7I7l.jpg

No offence Margus but I don't think running out of the city on the main road when it's being invaded is the best of ideas.

sMbFnl.jpg

Okay that works but can't we leave Kay here? His overbreak is terrible.

swIucl.jpg

Margus on the other hand, is awesome.

ZDqIPl.jpg

One other thing I like about this game is that if you have certain units next to eachother after someone's moved(including themselves), they'll have short conversations, like support conversations without the bonuses.

lTCULl.jpg

I don't believe this for a second.

ftPMml.jpg

I agree, the city's in ruins, citizens are dead, most of our army is gone, everything's just perfect.

QRj1Xl.jpg

Oh you mean for them. Okay.

d5894l.jpg

He'll have them spayed if someone ruffles his hair.

Wpp67l.jpg

1fjzXl.jpg

This is why the main road was a terrible idea.

GJ4r7l.jpg

Better.

CqBO7.png

W9u4D.png

The enemy have moderately competent commanders, we're doomed.

QPYCM.png

Some people actually fight all that.

8EiTu.png

zstwC.png

I opt for the safer and less annoying method. Also Complete Victory, not that that's difficult to get for this chapter.

Flashback to a few hours earlier.

BkB82.png

Spiffy threads on Serdic.

Vhwop.png

Am I the only one who thinks this guy looks incredibly slimy?

Zktrhl.jpg

Plot twist! Also Serdic cuts out on his own father's funeral, what a dick.

sFpr3l.jpg

eJlp0l.jpg

Well, shit. If only you'd been at the funeral like you were supposed to be.

F40yml.jpg

Fake Serdic's new name is James.

83T2L.png

He can't do both man, make up your mind, save the Kingdom or die in a blaze of glory.

x8ZrWl.jpg

He's dead, Jim.

Chapter 2.. I dunno maybe later today or tomorrow, it's shorter than Chapter 1 anyway.

It's pretty difficult, yes, but it is playable. And awesome.

It's pretty difficult, yes, but it is playable. And awesome.

The first game I've played in a long while where the tutorial kicked my ass.

I fucking hated this game. It felt like a bad Fire Emblem ripoff of sorts. Still, after trading it in I totally regretted it and wished I still had it to go through again and level up my characters. The progression for them was cool.

I'm looking forward to more of this one.

I probably could do that. I'd hazard a guess that Chapter 1 was around 6 or 7 turns.

Imagine if I killed everything instead of going for the like 6 turn escape and posted the turncount. Poor dondon would have a stroke if he ever saw it.

I probably could do that. I'd hazard a guess that Chapter 1 was around 6 or 7 turns.

Imagine if I killed everything instead of going for the like 6 turn escape and posted the turncount. Poor dondon would have a stroke if he ever saw it.

I think that a 6 turn isn't possible even if Serdic moves his maximum move every turn. 7 turn is as good as you can get.

Also, you should probably post levels. I mean, I don't really care about Chapter 1, but just something to keep in mind when you have more units.

Chapter 2 done.

o7k9E.jpg

Bandits!

ikBbk.jpg

Hey woah slow down there Jimmy didn't you have two last requests to fulfill?

This is Ansom, he is an Archer(the very one from Tutorial 5), and a childhood friend of Serdic's.

0k9po.jpg

This is his somewhat witty servant, Sasha.

uZqnp.jpg

No I haven't actually, have you heard of the Bolm Mountain Bandits? No? Damn.

FS32g.jpg

Wait what.

91j6a.jpg

Damn it Jim make up your mind what you want to do with your life.

zIQvA.jpg

First order of business: Kay's +2 Atk ring was taken and given to Serdic, his support skill(Will of War: Increases hp for units that pass through you) was leveled up once.

19wq6.jpg

Rout, nothing exciting.

NoMmx.jpg

Margus oneshotting people, this will become a common sight soon.

UdR3n.jpg

Wait do we know you or are you just some random Feddie Bro? I could go over and talk to you but it'd be a massive waste of time since you stay NPC anyway.

Z6vXO.jpg

36SL0.jpg

Kay baits and Serdic does his best Margus impression.

OFWwC.jpg

Yeah isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

FaERw.jpg

... What.

TYfjH.jpg

Well I'll be damned. He was right!

ewgiP.jpg

In retrospect I should have just hit him with the level 3 overbreak.

gp049.jpg

Q1tPC.jpg

Overwhelming Victory. 9 Turns. I could have had 8 but I sent Margus in the wrong direction towards the end so it took an extra turn to down the Gentleman Thief up there.

Notable loot is the Amber Amulet, a +2 defence accessory, of which I have quite a nice stock already.

qyc0c.jpg

Yeah they weren't really much threat when all but one of them died to anything stronger than a stiff breeze being sent at them.

Levels:

Serdic: 4.81

Kay: 3.38

Margus: 4.87

Selmer: 5.19

[spoiler=Chapter 2 Margus/Selmer]

E4d8a.png

No Margus, don't do it! It's a trap!

d3Xwr.png

Bombshell in 3... 2... 1...

AJ4Pr.png

oTPih.png

And you don't have to wear lipstick and a giant loopy earring.

nC4zB.png

I'll probably do chapters 3 and 4 tomorrow, 3 is incredibly short regardless.

Edited by Ceadeus

My biggest issue in the game:

Stupid "Use Magic" or "Move" rule, not both. It meant that the later maps were a bitch because you had to go into range of the enemy mages, who had a free turn of magic potshots on your army, while YOUR mages were nowhere near as useful.

I could have sworn I was the only one to ever play this game, good to know I'm not. Ah, the memories of not knowing that resetting a level means you maintain your levels and when you die you don't die, such unnecessary rageresets. You should have kick everyone's ass in the first chapter, or at least that slimy Alberich's.

Yeah, my issue was the massive problems with Magic users (except Cotton, who was completely broken)

It did have a cool thing where experience is saved when you restart a map, so it allowed for grinding if one kept failing.

Chapter 3 done.

EZCV1.png

An unwelcome shadow eh? I wonder who that could be.

SQX5O.png

Oh my god it's Marie, she's going to ruin everything!

hOnGj.png

Excellent! You look like a reliable man Jaglat, arrest her!

UYNda.png

g7t1e.jpg

dBNoP.png

..Wait a second... ... SONUVABITCH!

0AM9F.png

Margus already covered this Kay.

EcZAZ.png

Can I just say for a nameless npc this kid looks pretty awesome?

8uvoo.png

..Yeah, about that...

vZAmV.png

Now now Kay, it's a perfectly legitimate question.

akzoD.png

Good man Margus.

(No one cares about Kay.)

GZ2iu.png

Kay's Will of War is leveled again. Serdic cannot be deployed.

iwyBe.jpg

I question why "Death of Marie" is even on there tbh.

0vGoR.png

Since this is a scouting mission, Kay can actually do something useful and head to the scouting point with his superior movement.

18o2O.png

While Kay does that, Margus gets to kill things.

9zfHf.jpg

If you wanted to avoid being spotted, maybe you shouldn't have been shouting at him like that.

Victory condition changes to escape here. The enemies aren't anything special really, and thoroughly not worth the time.

lRX7l.jpg

CQ8Pp.png

7 turns. Could have had 6, but again, moved Margus wrong. I think 6 is about the lowest you can get by rushing the scouting point at back with Kay.

No real notable loot.

c88xA.png

Let's take a moment to remember who blew the earliest chance at rescuing her by yelling at Jaglat while trying to be stealthy and scout.

Oh yeah!

Kay.

Levels:

Serdic: 4.81

Kay: 4.09

Margus: 5.59

Selmer: 5.79

4 later, Anouleth wants me to go back and get a conversation between Selmer and Margus in Chapter 2.

Edited by Ceadeus

Margus/Selmer added to Chapter 2's post.

Chapter 4:

bXo8r.png?3353

SC5qK.png?591

I dunno, maybe because you're causing an intertribe incident or something?

oSfmh.png?4473

She's just mad because her not-boyfriend's not-actually-childhood friend's not-sister has been kidnapped.

5PA2S.png?7279

Okay to be fair he kind of has a point here.

xbCpx.png

Oh the irony.

kRwsG.png?7312

Haze!

63FHE.png?5483

Role reversal?

KuCFP.png?3932

I guess he knows Sasha has shitty defence.

NYq6u.png?2529

It's true it is, I saw it with my own eyes I did.

TtNzi.png?2107

No, Serdic, it's all part of an incredibly elaborate practical joke(!)

EstUq.png?5760

But.. he's dead.

qWj9y.png?5578

Oh yeah I forgot about her.

GfbW8.png?1453

Sasha joins here at level 5, her attack is decent but she's incredibly fragile, to try and mitigate that, she gets my full stock of amber amulets(3) and Kay's original copper ring(+2 attack) from Serdic.

From what I've seen, Sasha starts out slow, but can become astoundingly good when trained.

FoI1A.png?7751

I actually hate this chapter, archers are annoying as hell. Kay will be charging the closest one, Margus and Serdic will deal with the two later Archers. I'm also going to try and get Sasha leveled up as much as possible here, her overbreak is a single target defence piercing nuke, which will be incredibly helpful for Chaper 5's boss.

AiNGg.png?516

Like so.

3ATbz.png?8256

4 move is pretty terrible.

QO5lG.png?3878

7 move is pretty awesome.

FQ8PT.png?4990

Fortunately, I have at least one way of countering Archers being annoying.

phJ2q.png?2219

Margus.

GLt0H.png?2186

You get inside so that archer can't kill your frail ass.

HJAr6.png?7375

Victory. I've never gotten any better than a Victory on this chapter, I don't even know if it's possible to. Didn't bother counting turns because I hate this chapter.

Notable loot includes the Hawk Proof(Used for promoting) and the Hawkeye Medal(+Accuracy).

XcJxf.png

You'd think he'd met her at least once in your years being Serdic's double.

Levels:

Serdic: 6.46

Kay: 5.08

Margus: 6.86

Selmer: 6.58

Sasha: 6.85

[spoiler=Chapter 4 Serdic/Sasha]

XnLW7.png

You've been talking to Margus haven't you?

yghPS.png

I knew it.

[spoiler=Chapter 4 Margus/Sasha]

skrBU.png

Smooth.

CxSVf.png

Okay where is he going with this?

LyDDo.png

I retract that "Smooth."

KAXpu.png

Ouch.

DOWA8.png

Let's see...

H1LQ1.png

Nail. Head.

v04mX.png

And I'm probably done for today.

Chapter 5.

MIZ7t.jpg

qHxPn.jpg

No Kay, we're not letting you charge in to get exp.

LxoZs.jpg

Good point, Margus. You take the lead.

BxvgK.jpg

Jaglat's minions are smarter than he is.

BTV1d.jpg

Margus is given the Hawkeye Medal since he's been missing lately and it's getting annoying. He also levels Knight Codex to 3, Rook to 2 and Invoke Life to 2.

Selmer learns level 2 Ignite Lore.

tGHk2.jpg

This is an interesting chapter, there are two paths to Jaglat, the more populated(and therefore better for exp) left side, and the less populated cellblock on the right. Despite the exp advantage of the left, it's best to go right to rescue Marie and Ansom(who will not join unless let out of his cell), so they can assist when Jaglat charges. As well as to obtain the hidden item in an empty cell.

LJzvU.jpg

t0EIA.jpg

Margus laughs at their offence.

41ZAA.jpg

Kay meanwhile, despite being horridly mediocre except for his movement, does an adequate job chipping.

aaCoR.jpg

Apparently Jaglat thought that an archer would be good to block a chokepoint with.

iOWeB.jpg

Rather important that Kay gets that cell open now, so he can go back for the treasure later.

Also, see those two guys following? I forgot to screenshot so I may as well just say now that Selmer kicked the shit out of them with an AOE spell.

DvhvT.jpg

And Jaglat is on the move, best hurry with those cells.

And behind Door #2 is...

[spoiler=Chapter 5 Serdic/Marie]

B2UVc.jpg

Marie has a sort of common sense that a lot of FE royalty lacks when they're being held hostage: Threaten to kill yourself, they'll shit themselves.

fBSUV.jpg

SHE KNOWS. RUN JAMES, RUN!

Lgv26.jpg

"IMPLIED INCEST!!!"

tGWcp.jpg

Marie's healing proves remarkably useful.

Now let's see who's behind Door #3!!

[spoiler=Chapter 5 Sasha/Ansom]

5GZqj.jpg

That's right, Sasha! ..Wait hang on.

xmWKj.jpg

Ansom is badass.

BY26Y.jpg

Probably not but you made sure everyone else did.

YseW2.jpg

Ansom didn't want Jaglat touching his girlfr-

MP1k7.jpg

-bodyguard.

Also I like how they don't specify what look she's giving him.

Marie and Ansom will join the battle as npcs, providing healing support and arrow support. Ansom notably does quite ridiculous damage, doing on average 120 to the fairly well armoured Jaglat, making him far easier to bring down. Ansom will only join after this chapter if he's let out of his cell and spoken to here.

MH317.jpg

Jaglat's entourage can be fairly annoying, with the notable exception being the Guardian, he's a pussy. He won't charge in on you unless he can attack someone, unlike the Knights, who are fairly easy pickings.

I killed the first two knights shown in that picture, Jaglat charged in, Ansom sniped him, Selmer weakened him with an ice spell, Margus weakened him further and:

gpffo.jpg

Serdic finishes.

But just before:

0w1CC.png

Kay gets the loot.

plpL8.jpg

Overwhelming Victory. I still can't be assed counting turns. Notable loot is the Jade Amulet(+9 Defence) and the Hunter Proofs(more promotion items for Ansom). The Coral Amulet from the hidden cell gives a massive +11 defence, definitely worth grabbing.

BTqs7.jpg

And while they mourn...

QFN2U.jpg

Everyone else cracks jokes about Kay's eternal mediocrity.

zR8i6.jpg

This pleased Ms. Top Tier greatly.

84GP6.jpg

Ansom and Sasha on the other hand, were notably less amused.

3BacA.jpg

To expose you and take the crown for herself, duh.

60jqu.jpg

IT'S A TARP! (Maybe, I'm almost at the point where I'm playing blind)

6xfIG.jpg

How does one corrupt a sword?

AzIqN.jpg

Holy crap Selmer has dialogue. Thanks to his advice we are off to...

1YGcv.jpg

Levels:

Serdic: 8.73

Kay: 6.49

Margus: 8.01

Selmer: 8.10

Sasha: 8.08

Marie: 3.48

Ansom: 5.68

Now I'm really done for the day.

Just throwing a request out there, but when you get to the boss who's battle cry is: "OH GOOOOOOOOOOD", mind making a video to it? I enjoy it immensely and wish for everyone to hear it.