GBAGE Problem :/

Dr.Sholes

The "You screwed something up" is one of my catchphrases. It's basically my way of saying "MORE INFORMATION PL0X"

Screenshot, and the image you were going to insert would be helpful.

1) Update your version of .NET framework or MONO (see google).

2) I suggest width of 2 and height of uh... doesn't matter a lot, 64 works, for weapon icons. Although I doubt it's the problem.

3) You can't use colors not already in the palette (i.e. insert an image with like, 17 colors), and you really shouldn't increase the size of the image that you exported: doing so may result in the error you mentioned.

You gave me 3 things: problem, error message, image you tried to insert. I gave back 3 things. :P

We could use more info:

-When does this error appear?

-What is the other thing you inserted?

-What options did you choose when inserting?

And the more info you give the better. It'll make helping you easier. Help us to help you and you'll help yourself.

The error appears when I try to open VBA with that rom, but only that one.

The other thing I inserted was the picture of Bern Castle from the end of FE7 over the title screen.

I left the ones that were pre-checked when I inserted it.

Check the start of the ROM in hex editor and compare it to a clean one. If different, then your ROM is screwed. You very likely inserted a palette to the offset 0 at some point. If you want to try to save it, you can copy-paste data from the clean ROM to the bricked ROM.

Let me elaborate on that.

If your image is bigger than the original image, you're gonna have to import it into empty space or you risk overwriting something important. Then you have to find the pointer to the title screen in hex (8C AF 66 08, I think it is), then replace that with the pointer of whatever empty space you wrote your image to.

Let me elaborate on that. (:P)

Well, first of all, you may want to read the chapter on graphic editing in the Ultimate Tutorial (chapter 45). Link to tut

Second of all, for graphics, I really suggest several things. Personally, I always back-up my ROM before editing graphics: if you're not careful you may lose track of what edits you made and that makes it hard to undo them. In your case, it seems you inserted a palette at offset 0, and that fucked up your ROM. You'll want to repoint your graphics AND your palettes all the time (assuming they are compressed), to be safe. There are times where you don't need to (cough, when the image takes up less space, or the palette is the same size) but when you insert into free space, nothing can go wrong unless you just suck at hacking. Make sure you click the appropriate boxes when you type in the offset so that GBAGE repoints the stuff and doesn't just insert over it.

You'll also want to make note of all the changes you are making--original offset, repointed offset, GBAGE number, and palette offset. It sounds like a pain but if you don't you'll probably forget and you'll have to go searching for the graphics you want to edit all over again.

You're editing the title screen which isn't too hard. Find an optimal width and height, save the image, and then edit that image, making sure that you don't use more than 16 colors or increase the dimensions of the image. Then, when you're done, insert it and repoint it. Don't try and just insert another image over it, even if it's from the same game.

Alright, I got it to work!biggrin.gif

There's just one more thing I need...

39.png

Can someone get me what image number this is and what the palette is, telling me how to find the palette for future reference would be helpful to.

*points again to tutorial, this time to Chapter 43: Locating Palettes*

If you know how to hack events (which is almost commonplace now) you can load that CG using the SHCG code or whatever it's called, and then use the method explained.

Alternatively you can use a slightly more vulgar method and search around the graphics itself to look for the palette.

Or, just use my CG Editor (a nightmare module) which tells you the palette--since you know the graphics offset you should be able to recognize which CG is which slot, and the palette offset under that slot is the palette you're looking for. (Hah, my CG editor is useful for more than editing CGs, which so far not many people have done...)