FF VI- I don't know what to choose....

This merchant in Narshe (at the end when the world was pretty much destroyed by Kefka) says he would like to make a sword called Ragnarok or give it to me as magicite. I don't know what to choose, leave it as magicite or Ragnarok sword. And I won't be able to respond for awhile, so don't yell at me for not responding....

I guess it depends. If it's the SNES version, you're better off with the sword. If it's the GBA version, you can get both by keeping the Magicite, then stealing a Ragnarok during the final battle (it can be done in all versions, but other than to Throw it, you don't get to have much of an use with it in the non-GBA versions); of course, if you don't mind not having the sword for a while.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Ragnarok is the second best weapon in the game and can be bet at the coliseum for an even better weapon. The Ragnarok magicite teaches Ultima, the strongest offensive spell in the game. You can also learn Ultima from the Paladin Shield, but getting the Paladin Shield can be a bit of a hassle.

Honestly, it really depends on which version of the game you're playing, and how you plan to play. If you're playing the SNES/Anthology version, and you don't mind fighting 256 battles to turn the Cursed Shield into the Paladin Shield, then go for the sword. If you're playing the GBA version, go for the magicite because you can steal a Ragnarok from one of the enemies (you can also get an Ultima Weapon from the other enemy ;): ) in the third tier of the final battle which you can keep and use in the post game.

Edited by Charlie

So what you are telling me is to get the magicite? When can I steal the sword then? And if I get the sword, I can just bet it in the arena and get a better on right, and still get ultima? And where do I get the cursed shield? What do I get at the top of the Cultists' Tower?

Edited by Big FE fan

So what you are telling me is to get the magicite?

That would be my recommendation if you're playing the Advance version.

When can I steal the sword then?

As I said, from one of the monsters in the third tier of the final battle. There are two unnamed monsters, one male, one female. I don't remember which carries the Ragnarok sword, but that doesn't matter. Just steal from both of them, since they both carry great weapons.

And if I get the sword, I can just bet it in the arena and get a better on right, and still get ultima?

Yes. You can learn Ultima from the Paladin Shield, in much the same way you learn any other magic from magicite. However, as pointed out, you can have both the sword and the magicite if you're playing the advance version.

And where do I get the cursed shield?

It's in one of the houses in Narshe. It's a very bad piece of equipment, and you have to fight 256 battles with it equipped to one of your characters (other than Gogo) to turn it into the Paladin Shield.

What do I get at the top of the Cultists' Tower?

A relic called the Soul of Thamasa (or Gem Box if you're playing the SNES/Anthology version). It changes the regular magic command into Doublecast.

Edited by Charlie

Thanks Charlie! I was just making sure so I don't mess up.....And one last thing, in the final dungeon, is there anymore Genji Gloves, so I can defeat Kefka easier?

Edited by Big FE fan

You can find three Genji Gloves during the course of the game. The first is cleverly "hidden" in a story event in the game. If you have Terra refuse to join the Returners three times, you'll get a Genji Glove instead of a Gauntlet on your third refusal. Most people miss this completely. The second can be found in a chest in the Cave to the Sealed Gate, and the third can be found in the train portion of Cyan's Dream. In the advance version, I *think* you can find a fourth in the Dragon's Den, but I'm not 100% certain.

You can also obtain more Genji Gloves from certain enemies. You can steal them from Dragons (not just any dragon, but the monster specifically called "Dragon"), Dullahan (impossible, since Dullahan is a boss and you have no way of stealing at that point), and Armodullahan (a moderately difficult monster in the Dragon's Den). The steal rates are very low, and chances are you won't have an easy time finding Dragons and Armodullahans. Be prepared to spend a lot of time stealing if you really want more gloves. EDIT: You can also steal one from Gilgamesh in the advance version. Doing that shouldn't take long if I'm not mistaken.

A third way to obtain more Genji Gloves is to "morph" the Samurai or Yojimbo enemies into them using the Ragnarok magicite. As with stealing, the chances of this happening are low, so you'll have to be patient.

Edited by Charlie

Ah, I see. I thought I didn't have anymore chances of getting them since you can steal some from an enemy in the last dungeon in the Balanced World. Thank you again!

The first is cleverly "hidden" in a story event in the game. If you have Terra refuse to join the Returners three times, you'll get a Genji Glove instead of a Gauntlet on your third refusal.

Not quite, wasn't it by just doing it once or twice? If I remember correctly, you're given the Genji Glove by a Returner in the northernmost room. However, by the third no it's a 'But Thou Must' and you get sent to the area en-route to the raft anyway. Maybe I don't remember exactly, but I think that's how it was...

I've never heard of that. A different scene plays when on the third time you refuse. During that scene, one of the generic Returners gives the glove to Terra after which you hop on the raft as per usual. EDIT: Apparently we're both right. If you refuse once, you can get the Genji Glove from the returner in the upper room, but you can't get glove and the Gauntlet. I've never actually tried that...

Edited by Charlie