Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

"So how did all of that end up happening, anyway?" Aiya asked, leaning in closer.

Something about Tessa's response seemed, awkward... hollow. It struck Damian as strange.

'Did something happen?'

"You alright, Tessa? You seem... apprehensive."

Edited by Ether

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've... been having some trouble sleeping lately," she replied honestly. She brought one of her hands to her shoulder, lightly removed Damian's larger one from it, then stepped back and turned around, standing at a more comfortable conversation distance. "I'm also not exactly sure that I'll have anything really to contribute today. It will be so far out of my experiences... in a very different way than the ball."

She closed her eyes and sighed, though this may have been a mistake, as it allowed the imagery from her voyage into his mind to flash back up unbidden to the forefront. Quickly snapping them back open she raised a hand to her chest, resting it there in a gesture that both revealed her unease and provided some measure of comfort. The tips of her fingers lightly ran across the base of her neck, providing a further reassurance, dispelling the dark memories.

Edited by Balcerzak

Irina

Irina: Well, we flew off to Zaftra like we planned, met up with a huge flock of wyvern riders on the way, and the whole thing started off as a big aerial battle. One of their generals defected pretty early in the fight which made things a lot easier. We were going to overrun the roof and take out their forces, but we didn't get very far ...

Irina put her head down for a moment. When she first saw Orteiga, she thought that they were going to lose most of their forces just trying to take the roof.

Irina: Now I'm not making this up ... a huge fire dragon showed up and starting fighting for the Zaftrans. I guess he was always with them, but still ... it was intense. My uncle and Victor managed to beat him eventually, but a whole lot of people were killed before that. In the meantime Ixion's chimeras destroyed the citadels from the inside and Lev fought one of the brigade leaders. Iso and I were just trying to stay alive for the most part ...

Viveka

Viveka: I may have gotten him too good. (Though I suppose this isn't going to be pinned on me ... I didn't tell her to put twelve peppers on top of his food. I should probably get a medic or ... something.)

She then turned to Tobe and knelt down. The look in her eyes was part worry, and partly a restraint of laughter.

Viveka: Okaaay I'm being a very bad role model, right now. Don't ever let someone do anything that could get them killed, okay? (There are some exceptions, but I think Tobe could really use a general principle here ...)

Tessa gave a reason for her discomfort, closed her eyes and sighed... then her eyes snapped back open. Her hand moved to her chest, and she began clearly attempting to put herself at ease, her nervous fidgeting obvious.

"Tessa... what is it you aren't telling me? You know you can trust me, don't you? After all we've been through... what is it you don't think you can tell me?" Damian asked with concern. Something was definitely off about Tessa.

"Sounds like quite a surprise... still, you both made it out okay, right?" Aiya replied, taking a drink from the glass in front of her. Grimacing at the beverage, she turned towards the server.

"Giving me booze at this time of the morning!? Who the hell do you think I am, damnit!?" She exclaimed, causing the server to jump back, and eliciting a chuckle from a nearby man.

"Come now, Captain. Can a man not have a little fun every once in a while?" The deep voice asked, revealing the presence of a fellow captain.

"Ah... Captain... this was your doing?" Aiya asked, her scowl deepening with each word.

Edited by Ether

Iso

Once Iso finished removing Francis' saddle and tack, he gave the horse a thorough but gentle brushing, and then gave him a pat on the head.

Iso: We'll ... have better luck, next time. Err-sorry I don't have any treats. I can't really remember to keep those kinds of things on me-why am I talking to animals, again? I gotta go ...

Iso quickly made his way into the embassy.

Irina

Irina: (Aiya was having a bit of alcohol trouble some time before we left ... yeah, that's not really funny. Who's this, though?)

Kiev

Kiev wanted desperately to rescue Amari ... at first. Soon however, he stopped following her scent, and started tracking something else. Eventually he found himself sniffing around the markets and bothering people. There was too much food around for Kiev to decide on anything in particular so he just started nipping at anything nobody was guarding. When he tried to grab a fish off of a display he was whacked several times with a large stick by the shop keeper. It didn't hurt in the slightest, so after being startled, he tried it again, only to be whacked a few more times and much harder this time. He looked at the middle aged man beating the focus out of him and cocked his head a bit.

Shopkeeper: Touch those fish and you're a dead drake, ya hear?!

Nothing. Kiev went for the fish again and the man tried to deliver a killing blow only for his stick to snap in two. Kiev took the fish and wolfed it down. He could tell things were getting tense, and so backed away from the stand and made a hasty retreat on foot, leaving the man to curse and flail.

Morgan

"Harder than one might think. They have been very quiet lately, we have not seen any of them since shortly after leaving Burgosas. That means either something has distracted them or they are attempting to make better plans than before," Morgan speculated to Lev.

Iso

With Francis finally put back in his stall, Iso headed back into the embassy, now really hungry and not hiding it. He entered the dining room and saw Kelas sitting alone with two plates. A short distance away were Irina and Aiya. He waved to the two before sitting down by Kelas.

Iso: Thanks for getting my food for me. I really appreciate it. I'm so hungry right now that I'd probably have done something stupid like eating right from the buffet, heheh.

He was only joking but a part of him believed what he said. One glance at the buffet made him believe it even more ...

Lev

Lev: Well look on the bright side. There are plenty of meat shields this time around if they do try to attack us. It would probably be the only way to prove we're even effective against the demons and not just damn lucky. (Though I suppose if we really need to, Ixion can give a demonstration with that Miranda woman. Though that could probably backfire ...) We need to watch out for Shanice, though. That one knows how to get into the group.

Lev paused for a moment. The topic was already up, so he decided to take advantage of it.

Lev: It may be a good idea to start getting to know the group a bit more personally. Having them on short leashes can backfire easily. For instance, any member that isn't a crimson weapon wielder is a potential Shanice swap, so feel free to test if I'm the real me or not, every so often. Might as well start with me since I'm not the worst replacement target and we've still got some time before the big debate. ... and luckily for you, there are only certain things I would say if questioned~

The Estate

Ixion left the room he was staying in and made his way down the halls of the guest wing. The estate where the summit would be taking place was large and accommodating. He got a good look at the meeting area from a walkway overlooking the room.

Ixion: Security is going to be lacking in an environment such as this. I'd better make a note of it. (I suppose I'll need to figure out what to do with Miranda and Fenrir. They are a part of my security team, but they're also a bit out of place in a meeting like this. They may not understand my reasons for harnessing the power of a demon in an anti-demon war, or maybe they will, but either way it will cause unnecessary tension among the lesser minded. I'm certain I'll be able to find a place for them that will neither impede them nor disturb the assembly.)

Ixion then spotted a few nobles as they wandered into view. They ended their conversation abruptly and looked up to the walkway he was standing on.

Noble: ... and which country do you hail from, I wonder ...

Ixion: I'm a representative from Zaftra. Ixion. And you are ...?

Noble: Sir Jeremy Cliff of Halton. These are my dear friends. They can introduce themselves, I'm sure.

Noble2: Renn Ellis of Septimus.

Noble3: Nathaniel Creed of Elysima. A pleasure.

Ixion: I suppose ... where is everyone else? The summit should be starting soon.

Nathaniel: Are you an early bird, Sir Ixion? There's still plenty of time for everyone else to arrive.

Ixion: I don't expect them to be late for a meeting that they themselves arranged, but I do question whether or not the matter at hand is being taken very seriously.

Renn: This from the acclaimed faction that rested control of the government from Imperial Zaftra in the middle of the crisis and consequently weakened the continent's overall power? I'm both shocked an amused.

Ixion: Zaftra's forces would not have contributed to any counterattack. At least now the refugees have a place to return to. I will simply have to suffic for this effort for the moment.

Renn: A pity that dragon had to be slain. It would have proven far more useful than a single man ...

Ixion: (I suppose word of Orteiga's survival hasn't made it back, yet. Fine by me.) So you say ...

Jeremy: Gentlemen, gentlemen ... let's save this talk for the meeting, shall we?

???: Well put, Sir Cliff~

The voice came from the opposite side of the walkway Ixion had appeared from. It was Princess Cassandra, dressed for the summit.

Cassy: For now, I believe we should make 'pleasant' conversation. There will be more than enough tension during our talks.

With that, she approached Ixion with a smile.

Cassy: I am Cassandra Argyris, Princess of Halton.

Ixion: Ixion, of Zaftra.

Cassy: You don't have a ... family name, Sir Ixion?

Ixion: While I am not restricted from the title 'Orlov' I use it with great caution.

Cassy: (He must be the emperor's adopted son ... I suppose he has no ambitions for his foster father's throne, then. Probably for the best. I don't see us being friends. The feeling I get from him makes me wonder which side he's even on.) I see, very well then. Regardless, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Ixion: ... likewise.

Cassy: (So he's responsible for those ... monsters that turned the battle in Orlov's favor even with the presence of a dragon. I'll be keeping a close eye on you, Ixion.)

Morgan

"There...is no true way of knowing if someone is who they say they are or merely some demon or other sort of shapechanger in disguise," Morgan said to Lev hesitantly, beginning to back towards the door. "I was not able to tell when Shanice was impersonating Katie, what makes you think anyone else would be any different? Animals can be fooled, just like people can. The only way to truly be safe is not to trust anyone except yourself," she said, her hand on the door handle, still looking at Lev. I cannot believe I was able to be lured alone so easily, what was I thinking?

Charlotte

Charlotte had been eating her porridge alone in the dining hall for a little while now, as Helios seemed be taking his time making preparations of some sort. When she saw Kelas and Isotov sit down she decided to invite herself over. She was rather curious how the whole Zaftran rebellion went down, though she still did not support it.

"Mind if I dine with you for a bit? Unless you two would rather be alone..." she asked the pair.

Iso

Iso: Uhhh ...

Iso wasn't sure how to answer, but the fact that he had paused for nearly a second already caused him to answer without even finishing his thought.

Iso: ... sure! ...

That was awkward ...

Lev

Lev shook his head while remaining seated. She hadn't let her suspicious put the door and hallway between her and him so he could still explain something.

Lev: No, Morgan. If you don't trust anyone but yourself, you're always fighting alone. What good is one man against the Zaftran army? What good is one crimson weapon against the demon king? What good is one woman against Flemeth? Shanice takes advantage of trust, and I know that's got you on edge--butthat'swhywe'regonnakill'em--but every other demon out there will take advantage of a lack of it. A lone wolf is no match for what we're up against, and you know that.

Looking the druidess in the eyes with his more concerned face he continued.

Lev: The reason I'm saying you should have ways of testing people is so that even the demons can't fool you when it comes down to it. It's an invaluable tool, especially right now. Wouldn't it be better if you weren't backing up to the door right now? Wouldn't you prefer it if the two of us could just sit down here and go over things and you know full well that I'm your ally, and not some shape shifting demon? Honestly?

Charlotte

"Great!" she replied, setting her porridge down and taking a seat next to Kelas. "So I suppose the Zaftran rebellion was "successful" then...seeing as your Ivanko's eldest closest living relative that would make you the new Zaftran prince! Unfortunate circumstances, but I'm happy for you just the same. A real 'rags to riches' story," she said to Isotov, giving him a bright smile.

Morgan

"I...I am not used to working with others," she admitted to Lev. "Yes, I would prefer it if I could trust those that I am working with to be who they say they are...but I cannot. There are no tests I know of that would truly find a demon. Katie was a demon, Eric was a demon, Shanice even appeared as you once. Each and every time I could not detect the ruse and there were dire consequences. I am the one in this group who knows the most about demons and it was my responsibility to ferret out any possible spies from within our group. And I failed," she said simply, turning her head away from him for the moment.

Iso

Iso put his head down a little looking at his food but forgetting his hunger for a brief moment.

Iso: It wasn't a one sided fight, Charlotte. It was a nightmare in the sky. The Zaftrans threw everything, even the kitchen basin at us ... not to mention a fire breathing dragon and their pryo-maniac empress. I'm ... also a lot closer to Ivanko than I'd like. I'm 'technically' in line for the throne ... being his son ... but the way things are going, I might as well not even exist. I wish we'd never found out about any of it, really ....

Lev

Lev finally stood up from the chair, but he didn't come any closer than that.

Lev: It's not over until you're dead. At times like these, you've got to live and learn. You haven't died because of your mistakes, so that means it's time for you to learn from them. If you don't know a foolproof way to detect demons, yet, make one. You're the most knowledgeable about demons, like you said, so for you to keep people at a distance is only going to make it that much easier for them to kill us ... that includes you, as well.

Charlotte

"But I thought you were his nephew, not his...oh that's rather embarrassing," Charlotte said quickly, realizing what Isotov had said. "I guess that makes you the heir whether Ivanko has another child or not. Suddenly becoming a prince may be a bit of a shock at first, but you should be able to grow into it with time," she reassured Isotov.

Morgan

"But there are not any demons to test- Miranda," she said suddenly, answering herself. "If she remains in the area and is at least mildly cooperative, I may be able to get some useful data from her. Thank you Lev. Now I just need to figure out where she went..." she said, hand still on the doorknob.

Iso

Iso: I didn't realize how much of a blessing the shock had been ... now that it's passed, it's really hard to overlook how messed up things are now. First I was just a tool for Ivanko because of Proxima, then a tool to help defeat the demon king, and now I'm a political tool too. It doesn't matter if I'm royalty or not, I've lost any semblance of freedom I had in just a few months, here. If I've got to get used to being a slave, someone just kill me, now ...

Iso buried his head in his arms, being careful not to disturb his food.

Iso: I'm really starting to miss how things used to be, even though I was on the run from demons ... at least I was free to do what I wanted ....

Lev

Lev: Well ...

Lev began thinking as well.

Lev: She typically shows up when she's not wanted, so I guess you could lure her out that way ... or you could go straight to the source and ask Ixion. He's in the governor's estate with the other Zaftran representatives. That's where Iso and Irina were supposed to be staying but ... things changed, I guess. We'll be going there in a little while, anyway ....

Kelas had hoped that getting out for a bit would have cheered Isotov up a bit, and maybe it had, but as Charlotte sat down and started talking to them, things just got depressing again. It occurred to her that she probably shouldn't be surprised at how frequently she was being reminded that any involvement she had with him, even friendship, would inevitably be abruptly and messily broken at journey's end. But it came as something of a surprise anyway. She let sympathy show on her face, but not her own conflict; it would be better if nobody else knew about what was going on until she had a better idea of it herself. "Maybe something unexpected will happen and things will work out," she said, attempting a hopeful tone.

-------------

"Okay, Lady," Tobe said earnestly. He certainly didn't like some people but killing them definitely seemed to be a bit excessive. "Who were he, anyway? I remember someun like that from the palace, didn't none of the staff there like 'im either. Is he goin' t' come after us?" he asked, instinctive fear starting to kick in.

Edited by Kiryn

Charlotte

"Erm, try not to think of it that way," Charlotte said to Isotov apprehensively. "As prince, you have a lot of power to help people and really change things. I like to think that the Goddess has selected me to be ruler for the benefit of all of Jerdon, maybe similar thinking will help you. You haven't really tried being a prince yet...perhaps you'll like it," Charlotte advised him optimistically.

Morgan

"Ixion's input may be valuable as well, I admit I am a bit curious as to Miranda's exact construction myself. You could come with me if you wish. Er, not that your presence is required if you have other matters to attend to. Not that your presence would be unwelcome either," she quickly began to correct herself.

Iso

Iso: You know, normally being a prince would have some benefits or something but with the Zaftran nobles and Ixion running the show, I'll be lucky if I even get enough authority to have a butler at my beck and call.

Iso quickly raised up and sighed. Kelas added that maybe something good would happen so that things would work out and Iso couldn't just shoot that one down. It wasn't much different from something he would say.

Iso:... maybe. So does the goddess take pity on people with incredibly bad fortune? If so maybe things could work out in the end ... otherwise I'm probably going to ...

Iso cut himself off. He suddenly realized that revealing any kind of plans for a disappearing act wouldn't be good. He was under enough watch as it was.

Iso: I'll probably just lay down and die in a corner somewhere ...

Iso's expression only seemed fatigued rather than depressed with the quick change in wording, and his eyes darted around the room quickly making sure no one else was looking his way.

Viveka

Viveka: (If he comes after us that means he's going to be expecting me to indulge him and then I WILL have to kill him ...) I hope not, otherwise it's going to be a long day ... we should probably go ... how about the market? There's still some time before the big meeting, so how about we go have some fun?

Lev

Lev: Heheh ... no, no, 'I wish', really. Besides, you shouldn't be running around by yourself right now.

Morgan seemed to have calmed down, so Lev let his casualness come back in full.

"It's... not a matter of trust or distrust..." Tessa muttered a little softly. "It's... really my fault to begin with. I was in the wrong and probably should apologize but... Can we really not talk about that right now?" The last sentence she raised her voice back up to a higher volume, and it took a bit of a shrill edge.

Continuing, she finished with, "Was there something else you needed, or can I go?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Charlotte

"I'd like to think the goddess helps those in need...that being said I still don't think this is really that bad. You just need to assert yourself when the time is right. If the nobility try to push you around, remind them gently that you are the heir and it is you who will be sitting on the throne, not them. Although I suppose your situation with Ivanko is a tad different than mine was..." she said thoughtfully.

Morgan

"Good. No use milling about then, let's be off," she said, turning the door handle and beginning to make her way out of the Haltonian embassy.

Iso

Iso: Gentleness doesn't really work with these people. The only thing they seem to respect strength. After what I saw in Kalten I'm a bit more intimidated by my own culture.

Iso couldn't get the images of various Zaftran nobles putting him down in some very painful yet non permanent ways for even attempting to bully them into submission. The first one surprised him with an uppercut that sent him to the ground in a bloody heap. The second grabbed his arm and turned him into a pretzel for a brief moment before flipping him down to the ground. The third simply kicked him in the shin and then pushed him over with a well placed finger.

Iso: Maybe they wouldn't actually rough up a prince, but I can't be sure ... I mean no one stopped Ivanko from throwing Irina into a wall so ....

He took a bite of his food finally, having lost out to his stomach.

Lev

Morgan headed for the governor's manse, and Lev followed ... and all was well in that little world.

"Tessa... " Damian didn't know quite what to say to her. Something was clearly off with the girl, she claimed it had been her fault, whatever it was, but now she took to avoiding him as if he were carrying some sort of plague.

"If you think it is a matter of forgiveness, then I doubt whatever it is you could have done would change my opinion of you. I don't know what this issue is, but if not now, then when? You have seemed to actively avoid me since the day after I return-..."

Damian stopped his sentence abruptly. The day after he returned... Tessa had talked to him plenty the day before, she had seemed concerned... and his fits from the trauma of the training had been abundant.

"...but I haven't had a fit since that day..." He muttered, looking at Tessa with a serious expression, concern rampant.

"Tessa... did you use the restore staff to attempt to fix the... anomalies I was experiencing after my training with Ixion?" He asked slowly, the gravity of such a situation having arisen. There was no choice but to confirm now...

"Did you see... the remnants of that training? Is that why you've been avoiding me...?" Damian asked, his voice low and rather listless. He barely managed to choke out his conclusion.

"...because of fear?"

"Haha! What harm is a small joke between comrades?" The man laughed boisterously, his chest heaving with his own volume.

"If you think me out of line, I do apologize, but oi... I remember you as far more laid back than that, Captain. Whatever could have happened to you traveling about the land as you did, Captain Keirich?" The man asked, a somewhat more serious tone accompanying the question.

"Nothing happened." Aiya muttered with annoyance, looking at him with slight disdain.

"S'just too damn early for alcohol... what would the General have to say if I wandered up to him plastered before the sun even started to descend?"

Long Forgotten

Plans. Plans never went as planned. Even planning plans never went as planned.

"We can begin going over our plans."

Those were the last words that were on-topic that Councilman Richtor got out before they were rudely and properly interrupted.

"Uh boss," one of the spies poked up. "We seem to be down an inn staff."

"What?" Oh Lady," General Mendozza shook his head. "We might've been compromised."

"Of course," Richtor sighed. "I wanted to speak here because it was secure, but it seems we must retreat towards the Embassy again. my apologies for this inconvenience."

Everyone quickly mounted up and was back off to the Septimum Embassy.

"You two," Mendozza pointed at the spies. "Get to sweeping."

"No rest for the wicked." The two sped off to secure the area in connection with all the other slightly-friendly spies.

"Until we can confirm everything's alright I say we don't bother talking out loud, even inside the Embassy." Mendozza advised. "Plus I could sure as hell use some sleep. Been on my feet too damn long."

"I see, I agree with the General," Richtor added.

Morning

Night and sleep had not come easy to Count Altair. His thoughts were distracted by Jeanne--who had avoided him the rest of the day--and Merigold whom he had avoided the rest of the day. And the many other myriad things about Directus, the group, the Crimsons and the summit. He tossed and turned in his bed and could not fall asleep. After some time he exited the warmth of the covers thinking perhaps some physical exertion would help--even if it was a bad habit to do so at nighttime. He had been granted one of the few private rooms for the Directus party, so he hadn't needed to consider another's ears. His work nothing to ease his comfort into sleep, indeed it only made his heart pound and flooded his ears with the sound of his blood moving. But perhaps that was what he wanted, to think and ponder for as long as possible. To work our some frustration against only himself and no other.

Sleep would eventually take him, some time after the apex of the moon. The sun rose, and before that Luc rose, his internal timing still attuned and working even when he required more sleep. He reworked his clothing and appearance and arms and armor before stepping back into the public areas of the Embassy. Several others of Directus were already awake--Jeanne and Merigold and Councilman Richtor not among them. But General Mendozza was, armored as ever and standing next to a table, plate in hand and food being pressed into his mouth.

"Oi, Altair," the General noticed the Captain. He threw down his plate with a clank and waved him over. Luc complied, and General Mendozza began to speak. "You look like hell," he bluntly told him.

It, wasn't that bad was it? A few missing hours of sleep wasn't anything he was unfamiliar with. He had done it during training, in the field and during his travels with the Crimson group. And those travels were on much less hospitable land. Even after those disastrous combats no one had commented on his appearance. Or had they, and he just brushed it off? And only now was such a minor thing getting to him. "Sir, I had, many things to think about, sir." Luc told most of the truth.

"I bet you did," Mendozza placed his white gauntlet on Luc's shoulder. It was heavy, the General wasn't making much effort to hold it himself. "Listen, you know Richtor, he has a good reason for having Jeanne here. And Merigold too, I suppose. You let their appearance here shake you up you'll have no use as a confidant for the good Prince and Princess and anyone else who you're feeling chummy with."

A good reason. Of course there would be one. Of course he would hear it. But until that time came, he had plenty to be distracted by. And being unable to confront Jeanne and avoid Merigold just made it all the more strenuous. And a confidant? He had accomplished nothing of real use. No one trusted anyone--least of all him, and not without good reason mind but that just made it all the worse. Trusting demons over men. Bah. And chummy? Friends. No. They were not his friends. his closest friends were all dead. These were just allies. A business partnership. For mutual gain and prosperity. Nothing more. He needed to remind himself of that. "Sir," Luc slowly replied, "I'll cope, sir."

"Good lad," the General lifted the burden from Luc's shoulder. "Now, sit down and eat. Bet you haven't had anything acceptable in days."

After sorting out how much gold to bring with him (and re-sorting then re-sorting again then second-guessing and re-sorting again) Tas finally made his way back to the dining area to meet up with Irina and -- if she'd found her -- Aiya as Irina and he had planned. When he arrived, he was glad to see that the two women wyvern-riders were by each other. There was one confusing factor, however: Aiya was talking to someone Tas didn't know. She looked a bit annoyed, too. Judging by the uniform, they were both in the Haltonian military. He didn't see any harm in heading over, however, and so walked up to the small cluster of people.

"Good morning," Tas greeted as he joined them, though remained standing rather than taking a seat. He'd already eaten after all and in no small portion.

Sidelined:

The corporal rested an elbow on the odd wooden slat jutting out from the frame of the building. It wasn't a bad inn, though a fair bit of prodding and poking had been required for the dubious honor of guarding. Who knew innkeepers were so paranoid about thieves and food scraps? The man chuckled softly. Any street urchin ought to know better than to scavenge at an inn like this; mice everywhere and more crumbs than meat.

Tilting his head back in an expression of apparent lethargy, he nudged the striker from a pocket and fumbled momentarily. A faint spark and the material was alight, fingers warmed indirectly by the funnel of wood. "Don't you think that's a bit silly, Cor- Revnor?" A voice called out irritably.

"Ral, ease up," he replied, exhaling a waft of smoke. Revnor wouldn't be surprised if his fellow soldier was fuming on the roof. Probably didn't like how I dragged him out here, even if he technically outranks me. Eyes locating a dark outline, the corporal pushed away from the wall as the figure landed with a thump. "So, why did you choose to listen to him? And bring me along, of all people? Tomorrow will be an early start, and an escort of sleepy Elyisiman soldiers is not a desirable first impression," the staff sergeant hissed.

Corporal Revnor removed his pipe and smiled, resuming his original position. "With all due respect, he far outranks you, and it was a direct order from my former commanding officer. As for why I asked you, no one else in that embassy could possibly stay up the night and be more awake tomorrow," giving a sideways glance as he took another breath. "It'll be the death of me one day, listening to you," the taller man grunted.

"You wouldn't pay attention if I weren't always right," the smoker answered cheekily.

Conrad:

The armor knight spent the hour till dusk inquiring as to the current going ons within the Elyisiman court, and consequently the most predictable course of events to follow. Were I not in attendance here influencing our political heartbeat, Elyisima could well deem subsequent involvement against the demons a fruitless endeavor, Conrad thought, returning to his designated quarters. Perhaps a debriefing on his own account would need to arranged with the highest authorities; this sort of business tended to favour those who took the initiative. Sinking into sleep, a dense cloud obscured the moon's light.

General Jackson cleared the staircase and headed for the dining hall, abruptly slowing to a halt. The clatter of noise hadn't boded well, but the Crimson Axe wielder had taken the time to don his full armor. First impressions, though not everything, could convey the emphasis he wanted- and now was infinitely better than later.

"How are you two doing?" Conrad asked. "Finished eating already?"

Irina

Irina: Oh hey, you're back. I guess you're finished, then?

Viveka

Viveka: Yes, Sir. We just finished and were getting ready to head out if that's alright ... ... there is one thing, though.

Harold's 'situation' was going to become known throughout the embassy in a matter of minutes, possibly seconds, so Viv felt it best that the general just hear it directly from her.

Viveka: Harold and Percival are here ... and Harold is probably going to need a medic, soon. I ... tried to distract him by giving him a bad order, peppers, so he wouldn't bother hitting on me, but the waitress got a dozen of them and he ate almost all of them at once. I know enough about that particular kind to know he's only going to be feeling far worse over the next couple of hours or so.

She trailed off a bit as she thought about it more deeply.

Viveka: One is enough to put most people on the ground, so nine is practically suicide ....

Viveka then twitched as a loud call came from the dining area. It sounded like Harold cursing.

The Heroes

Percy had finished his seven steaks and had now begun watching Harold during his time of trouble.

Percy: I'm glad you're still alive, although with how lousily you're handling those peppers, it's almost pointless. You're a man, are you not? Act like one.

Harold simply glared with tears in his eyes back at Percy. The wyvern lord didn't seem to understand how easily overwhelming such a sudden burning sensation was. What was worse, though, was that it seemed to be intensifying, steadily, noticeably, and painfully. It was already burning enough to have him in near hysterics at the table, and it was getting worse, now? The sword master couldn't take anymore.

Harold: WATER, DAMMIIIIIT!!!!

"Yeah, I finally decided on a good ammount to take with me. Did you invite Aiya yet?" Tas asked, glancing at the Haltonian captain. She seemed busy...and annoyed.