Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

Morgan

"When one wants to have a child obviously, though from what I hear pregnancy is a long and painful process. I suppose there is always the possibility of kidnapping a child instead, though that tends to have legal repercussions."

"There are...non-child related reasons to mate as well obviously. Flemeth would occasionally take males into the hut and assign me extra reading for the evening. When I asked what happened to the men afterwards, Flemeth said that she had eaten them. To this day I am unsure whether she was serious or not," Morgan said to Lev, furrowing her brow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Worlds

Lev had been somewhat expecting the first part of Morgan's answer. It seemed rather obvious from observations. The second answer was the one that caught him a little off guard. Kidnapping was something people who had more at stake than just their bloodline would do, he felt.

Lev: Oh I think there's more than just legal repercussions, heheh. Imagine how easy it would be to replace an heir if kingdoms weren't relying on their own bloodline ...

The last thing Lev was expecting to hear about was Flemeth doing anything related to men. It wasn't until she mentioned them being eaten, that he began to be able to accept it. Even that struck him as a little disturbing, but it was far less disturbing than the 'Promiscuous Witch of the Wilds'.

Lev: Your mother ... is a little unsettling ... but there are a couple more reasons ...

Spotting a hare in the distance, Hainam slowly notched his arrow and took aim. Then he yawned loudly, hoping desperately that the sound did not scare his prey away. Thankfully, it did not.

Shifting closer, so as to ensure his aim did not miss, Hainam steadied his breath and preapred to shoot. And then he heard hooves...

"That and I think half of everyone's afraid of her, I know Arrin is," Kelas grumbled.

She noticed two things in quick succession: one, they were passing fairly close to someone armed-- a nomad hunting, it looked like, though he was curiously without a horse. She'd been on the road without the people she'd grown up with for so long that she almost wanted to call out, but given the circumstances, that was likely a bad idea. The second thing she noticed was that Amari was trying to head straight for the man, wearing an expression that clearly indicated that the mare had gotten a very bad idea, probably involving biting. This was a little curious since Kelas wasn't sure she'd ever seen the man before, but at any rate, that was a spot of trouble she didn't want to get into. She casually made a turn that would take them a bit further away from the hunter.

The sound of hooves became voices, which scared the hare away. Too far for a perfect shot, Hainam sighed and looked at who frightened the voices. He hoped frevently that it was not some patrols. He could not be bothered to run away.

Looking up, he saw a face he immediately recognised and called out in his tribal language, <"Kelas? Is that you?">

Edited by Rothene

"Who..." Kelas muttered. She stopped, and twisted in the saddle to look back towards the hunter. "<Who are-->" A few attempts at recognition finally worked-- this was one of her acquaintances from the Tuorchi, from before she'd left. She hadn't recognized him through the several extra inches of height, or the scraggly beard, or the apparent beginnings of malnutrition, but it made sense; he'd been fifteen when she'd left. "<Hainam?! What are you doing here?>" she asked, turning Amari around to head back towards him. "Don't worry, I know this guy from a few years back," she added quietly to Isotov before doubling back towards Hainam. She wasn't sure Iris had heard, but she was sure that Iso would relay the explanation if necessary. "<I didn't know everyone was coming this far north this time of year now, is the camp nearby, or--?>" She stopped herself from launching into a series of questions; she ought to at least let Hainam answer a couple of them before she asked more.

Edited by Kiryn

<"Erm...I'm busy hunting for food out here. Why else would a Tuorchi be out with a bow?"> said Hainam nonchalantly, <"Oh and the camp is still back on the plains. I came by here searching for work.">

Morgan

"Well I am sure she would have turned into a dragon or lion or some other sort of creature with large fangs before devouring them. Human teeth are really quite inefficient for tearing apart large amounts of flesh," Morgan said to Lev, as to not misrepresent Flemeth too much. "Other reasons for mating? Something political to do with marriages I suppose?" she questioned him.

"<Did you get temporarily banished as a punishment for something?>" Kelas asked, raising an eyebrow. It had been a few years, but she could still definitely remember the others from back then, and she remembered Hainam's tendency to get in trouble for for laziness and sleeping on the job. Sometimes she'd covered for him when they'd been set to watch the sheep together and he dozed off, sometimes not. As she pulled up in front of him, she kept Amari firmly in check; she also remembered that he was one of Amari's favorite biting targets. "<What did you do?>"

Iso

Iso was confused when the person they had come across spoke to Kelas in a language that wasn't common. It didn't last long, though when he realized that he was a nomad and Kelas confirmed actually knowing him. He wasn't sure if he should introduce himself, and became more apprehensive about doing so when Kelas began asking questions. It could probably wait until a certain cue came up. Hopefully the introductions would begin in common ...

Lev

Lev: It's ... still a little unsettling ... to be honest.

---

Lev: I mean more personal reasons. One of'em you won't understand until you actually do it ... the other I might be able to help explain, sometime. For now, though ...

Lev sat down in a chair that was sitting across from the bedside and leaned back a little.

Lev: ... for now I'm wondering what you're going to do about Flemeth once this demon business is over with. Like I said, I'll help. Dunno how ... ... don't need to, yet.

Hainam took an instinctive step back from Amari, recalling not too fondly of that horse's hobby. He spoke up slowly then looked down at his feet as he finished his sentence, <"Erm...well, yeah. I was caught sleeping through an attack..."

Kelas really wasn't sure what to say to that. On one hand, it was definitely something he would have done. On the other hand, a lack of a good watch had gotten almost everyone she knew killed when she was a child. "<How badly did it go?>" she asked, frowning. She wasn't sure quite how angry she should be, but she supposed she could afford to be less angry if nobody had died.

And now for something *completely* different

Tiria wandered around the market of Ilyphina, idly glancing at the stalls she passed. She was not here for the trinkets that most of these places were selling. She was starting to think that she had gotten lost when she spied the clumps of horses that marked the location of the horse traders. Walking up to the nearest one, she glanced over the horses. Seeing one that she thought would work, she called to the trader, "Sir, I'm interested in buying that dark bay horse towards the back of the herd. Would you mind if I took a closer look?"

The trader glanced at the horse and nodded. "Ah, you mean Applejack there. You've got a good eye on you. He's one of the best I've got this year. Course, that means he won't be cheap, but if you're looking for a horse that'll keep up with you no matter what, he's the one you want."

Tiria smiled to herself as she approached the horse. Applejack. Wonder where he got that name from. When she reached the horse, she inspected him and then looked back at the man. "He's perfect. I'll take him."

Walking back to the barracks, Tiria gave a small sigh of relief. Finally, she was starting to feel like a proper captain of the guard. One that would actually be able to protect her charge, unlike last time.

Morgan

"Obviously the best solution is to kill Flemeth, but that is more easily said than done. Maybe if I would go back to the cottage and take some of her more valuable grimoires I would be able to gain some of her power, though she undoubtedly has them protected somehow," Morgan mused aloud to Lev.

"But why are you concerned about this anyway? Flemeth is of no threat to you really, she is only threatening me and not at this exact moment it seems," she asked him.

<"No one died. The attack was repelled as soon as it started. A few arrows and most of the tribesmen at ready with their bows was able to scare away the would be attackers. No one actually came to shake me up from the tent, so I did not appear among the others at all,"> replied Hainam annoyed. If someone had actually took steps to wake him up instead of rush out immediately, he might not be out here hunting hares. <"Although the attackers managed to kill some of the livestock and hurt some of the boys as they got away with their parting shots. Because of that, here I am trying to hunt enough hares to sell their pelts to buy arrows, as well as store rations for when I move on to find work. What about you? What brings you here of all places?"> asked Hainam suddenly curious.

"<Well, you remember they decided it was time for me to go after that fight,>" Kelas replied, relieved that she did not need to get more angry than usual. "<I sort of drifted after that, took caravan guard or mercenary work, shot at bandits. One day a very lost scholar asked me did I know the Adai tribe by any chance, which lead to me finding out that my brother-- remember, we thought the rest of my family was dead-- was still alive. Of course, he didn't know where, so I set about looking-- that's why I didn't come back when my ban was up. After that...>" she trailed off, glancing back at Isotov and Iris for a moment. She didn't want to hold them up too much, especially given Iris' presence. "<Well, I found him, and after that, it is a long, strange, and depressing story. You got a minute?>" She tried to think up a short version, in case Iris got impatient.

Edited by Kiryn

Vested Interest

Lev: Killing Flemeth is only the best solution if it's the last thing she'll be expecting from you ... otherwise, it's just something she can plan for long in advance. Whatever you do, you need to make sure it isn't something she would see coming. Growing up, I learned not to mess with people who knew me too well ... since it would always backfire.

That was Lev's take on the situation, of course Morgan wanted to know why he cared at all.

Lev: She's a threat to me too ... in a different way; that's not the point, though. I really don't want to run into 'Morgan' one day and it turns out to be more than just Flemeth's shape shifting shenanigans.

cross your t's

At the mention of a good night's sleep, Tessa smiled wanly. Either Midori wasn't really paying attention, or she was making sport. Assuming good faith the healer tried to find out a little bit more.

"Do you, uh, know many people here yet or...?"

dot your i's

They'd pulled to a complete stop. Iris was curious just what was going on. The nomad seemed to have found a tribesman or something, and they were speaking in a strange and unintelligible way. Was it really true then that the reason the roaming people spread was to create one vast information network? She'd been pretty sure that was one of the stupider misconceptions she'd heard, though there were other more plausible one's she was curious to be asking after when she got the chance. Landing Drake and then approaching Isotov, she turned and asked him few short questions, in their own native tongue.

"<Do you, by chance, know what they're saying at all? And does this happen often?>"

"Know many people? Well, there was the one that suggested that I tag along, another who thought I was a spy or something, and a third who called me by something strange. Wonder if that was my name? Otherwise, not really."

Midori blinked. Did she just say that aloud?

"<Well, turns out the reason I was able to find him-- reason he's alive really-- was that he found some magic book by accident in the bandits' spoils, and it... reacted to him or something. Scared the hell out of them. So they left him on the doorstep of the nearest mage and ran for it, and the mage brought him up. She was a fairly strange character, it sounds like, but anyway, he turned out all right. Problem was, that magic book... apparently has got something to do with the demon king, specifically with defeating him, and it seems like he's coming back...>" With the usage of her first language came the usage of its accompanying gestures, and Kelas made one of the various signs against evil. "<Or at least that's what the others with the same kind of weapons said. I don't know if it's true, but the damn things certainly draw demons like a dog draws fleas. He believed them, anyway, so I stuck around to watch out for him-- I don't want to lose him again,>" she explained.

She took another nervous glance back: Iris had landed, and was watching her. "<Uh... there's more but it's really long, and I don't know that I can stay to tell it. Are you going to be around for a while? I'm staying in town with my brother, my friend and the... others, want to come in to catch up at some point? I'll buy you lunch, it looks like you could use it,>" she offered.

uhh... bar your h's?

Charlotte wasn't the only one a little upset at having been assumed to be from the Shoon Islands. Helios wrinkled up his forehead and the corners of his mouth turned down in a frown, but he managed to think somewhat pleasant thoughts to prevent himself from doing anything stupid. Thoughts of his horse kneeling before him in a gesture of complete submission, and an indication it would never again be inclined to misbehave. The short daydream lasted almost no longer than it began, as, straining suspension of disbelief, he couldn't figure out what would come next in such a situation.

Still, the summit's time and location had been relatively easily determined. Turning to the princess beside him he mused, "Two past noon, huh? What are we supposed to do until then?"

curiouser and curiouser

That was certainly an usual reply. Tessa blinked wordlessly for a few moments. "Your name? But... you just said? You've forgotten?" She had cocked her head to the side in slight puzzlement, but then righted it again as she worked her way through to a probable understanding. It wasn't the first time something like this had happened The Toran prince had had similar issues, not to mention the entire episode with Kamilla. Recently Dani too. "Did you ask Sis, that is, Morgan about it? Maybe she could confirm, at least whether it were natural or accident... maybe a vague something more too. If someone did this to you, even she probably couldn't easily fix it, but maybe you know she'd get some ideas. What all do you remember, actually? Maybe that will help?"

The young healer hadn't even fully waited for a confirmation of her logic leap before she got into a nice rambling rhythm. It didn't even cross her mind that she might be mistaken after she'd "figured" it out. It was tired o'clock, after all.

"I don't remember anything before the time I woke up in some random inn, with the innkeeper yelling at me because I didn't have any money to pay him. I took on the name engraved in my armor, 'cause I can't think of any other reason for it to be there. I don't know why, but this embassy makes me feel weird, even if the food's good."

Midori paused to take another mouthful of food and a breath.

"Who's this Morgan person? I remember the guy who called me by another name. . .uh, Damian, said that my memory problems might be magical in nature." Anything had to be better than the nothing she currently had.

Iso

Iso had been waiting around long enough to get bored and begin trying to figure out what the two nomads must have been talking about. Figuring out words would be impossible, so he just carefully observed everything else. That came to a screeching halt when Iris asked him about it.

Iso: <I don't know the language they're speaking. It seems like a reunion if you ask me ... and it doesn't happen very often ... although ... hmm ... maybe it does.>

Iso had begun thinking about various reunions throughout his time with the party as he spoke and it forced him to rethink his statement yet again.

Iso: <Kelas has had her fair share of reunions. I think most of us have by now.>

When Hainam heard mention of demons and magic, he also made the gesture to ward of dark magic he was taught in the tribe. Wow, what has Kelas gotten herself into, thought Hainam. <"Lunch you say? Sure, I would like to join you. But I'll need to go grab some rabbit pelts I have to sell in town,">