Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

Iso

Iso: Well thankfully someone is ... ... I saw her last night. (And then chased her off ... ... nothing EVER ... EVER ... goes right. I'm not even sure why I bother.)

Iso's voice was carrying poorly due to his face being hidden, so he spoke more loudly than he normally would have to compensate, still not knowing how well Arrin could hear it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iso

Iso: Ye-n- ... ... ... durrrgh. D-do whatever you want, Arrin. (It's not like I don't want to see her, but ... I'm not sure what to do with her around. Not to mention the possibility that Morgan will show up and start lecturing again. Why won't she just leave me alooone ...?)

"And why so interested in Proxima anyway?" Morgan asked Miranda, raising an eyebrow at her. "I doubt it is because Isotov wields it; your relationship ended when Shanice killed you, Ixion bringing you back did not change that fact. You are merely an echo of the human once known as Miranda, and echoes cannot relive the life they once had," Morgan said to Miranda definitively.

Echo of the Past

Miranda: I could be a magic teacher again if I wanted ... I'm just ... working for Ixion, right now ... 'personal' reasons.

Miranda had a faked defensive tone in her voice and was leaning back a little to help emphasize it. After that statement, she stood normally again with a hand on her hip.

Miranda: It's not just Proxima I'm interested in. Iso was my last student and Proxima is both his gift and his curse. I don't like that what happened to me and all that other crap is weighing him down so much. I want him to have as worthwhile a life as he can, especially after all of this is over.

She then crossed her arms.

Miranda: And you're certainly not helping, what with this obligatory world saving stuff. He knows what's at stake, here. That doesn't mean beating him over the head with it is going to make him docile. You're dealing with a man who sees everyone as either a friend or a foe, and you couldn't possibly be the former in his eyes, so what good is your griping going to do?

"Welcome back," Esphyr mentioned, seeming rather bored while she waited. The events nearby provided some entertainment, but not much and it was winding down.

Arrin eventually just shrugged awkwardly, not sure what was going on. Kelas would be up soon enough, he thought.

------------------------------------

She hadn't come here to sit, Kelas reminded herself. She got up and headed out of her room, putting on a little extra speed when she realized Miranda was behind her in the hall.

Before she made it outside, though, Arrin called out from another room, having seen her from the doorway. "Kelas! Did you see who's back?"

Shaking her head, Kelas doubled back to look into the dining area. "Yeah, I did," she replied to Arrin, who was seated next to Tessa and looking curiously across the room at Isotov. At the moment, Isotov was a picture of the sort of abject misery that bordered on theatrics. "Oi, what's wrong here?" she asked on reflex. She probably was part of the cause, and thus probably couldn't help, but she had to ask.

Not knowing his way around very well, Alf wandered about the embassy, hoping he could find Aiya or somebody like that.

She must be happy being back with her countrymen, Alf thought to himself, feeling a little happy himself thinking about her. If I recall correctly, she hasn't been with most of her countrymen in like, forever. It'll be good for her to see her friends again.

As he was thinking this, he found himself in a dining room, with Esphyr at a table. Seating himself, he looked right after, a little pleased to see her.

"Hi there Esphyr. You slept well I hope?"

--------------------

Red Shirt Bard

Sadie awoke gently, a little cold from the chilly weather. Wishing to herself that she brought something more substantial to wear to keep herself warm, she got out of bed shivering, heading down the stairs to get some breakfast.

She found herself at the dining hall, where there seemed to be two sets of people. One set was Alf and Esphyr while the other was composed of Tessa, Kelas, and Arrin with everyone looking uncomfortable.

"Is there something wrong here? Everyone ok here?" taking a glance across the room at Isotov, who seemed to be very miserable. "What's up with him?"

"For the mostpart. I slept great before and after a crazy wyvern started crying or something. Middle of the night, it starts roaring outside. Looks like Irina and Isotov are back. It's a good thing, too, since Isotov has the crimson fire tome. At least he had people with him able to protect him, but it still made him a target while he was gone," Esphyr replied, her boredom leaving for the time being since she had someone to talk to.

Kelas hadn't gotten an answer yet, but Isotov was drawing an increasing amount of attention, and that likely wasn't helpful. "Come on, let's go for a walk," she said with a sigh, trying to steer him away from the table. "We'll sort out whatever it is somewhere else."

Edited by Kiryn

Iso

Iso raised a fatigued hand to greet Esphyr and then let it fall again. He couldn't give Kelas much of an answer beyond a pained moan. When she suggested they go for a walk, he could barely keep from leaping at the opportunity to get out of the area. He slowly picked himself up from the table and turned to face her.

Iso: Alright ....

Kelas took a few turns at random, avoiding the hallway she'd come from and stumbling into a deserted sort of waiting area, with a couch available. She slung her coat over the arm of the couch-- no use overheating indoors-- and sat down. "What's the matter?" she asked. "I didn't scare you that bad, did I?"

-----------------------------

Arrin just stared a bit at the proceedings. He didn't have any idea what was going on. His stomach growled, and he was reminded of what he was doing here to begin with. "Does anyone know when there will be food?" he asked the room at large.

Iso

Iso: Kelas, I'm sorry. It's not you, really. I'm just ... really worn out, now. You know the first thing I ran into when I left your room? Morgan. I'll say it, again; I ran into Morgan, our wise and empathetic leader. Remember what we talked about last night, and how I told you how I felt about all this ... being treated like nothing but a tool? I got a bigger taste of it this morning than I could handle.

After saying that mouthful, he sat down next to Kelas and leaned forward onto his knees with his head facing the ground.

"Oh gods," Kelas muttered. She leaned a bit closer, but made no other move; things were still too confusing to be giving out hugs again. "I can imagine how well that went, given the lecture she gave me earlier. You... I guess you really need a break now, huh?" She thought to invite him along for the ride she'd been planning to take, but that would likely involve a trip back towards their rooms, too near where Morgan had been. Perhaps it would be better just to sit, for now.

Iso

Iso: I need much more than a break. That woman is as bad as any demon, only trying to kill me with rhetoric instead of magic or blades.

Iso kept his head low and sighed.

Iso: Everything is so much ...SIMPLER with the demons. They attack us, we kill them. They attack us some more, and we keep killing them. But with other people ... it's just arguing and fighting, and more arguing and there's never any peace.

Irina

When Irina finally woke up, some time had passed since the argument in the hallway, and she was none the wiser. She didn't emerge from the room for a short while.

Irina: I overslept ... but I guess it makes sense. I'm not usually up so late. Well, off to breakfast, I guess.

Morgan

"If Isotov knows what is truly at stake here then he had better start acting like it. I know he wants revenge on Shanice at the very least and that gives us a common goal. But if he insists on acting like a child and not going about the best way to achieve that goal there is little I can do to help him," Morgan replied to Miranda.

"Well, it can't last forever," Kelas replied. She knew there wasn't really much consolation possible after such an argument with Morgan. "One of these days we won't have to deal with her anymore. Until then... I guess we just stick with the people who don't take every opportunity to pick a fight."

Miranda

Miranda: The best way to achieve that goal is to travel all over while letting yourselves be ambushed by every pissed off group in the land? You must be real tough guys. That aside, it's not as if griping is really helping him. He just gets upset and then leaves or blows something up ... or both ... and not necessarily in that order ....

Iso

Iso: Bad timing ... I'm pretty sure she mentioned something about having someone monitor me at all times or something along those lines. I'm sure she's not going to pick someone I actually like ... and this is just a catastrophe waiting to happen if she decides to do it herself. I don't think it helps that Iris is already playing that type of roll, though I imagine she won't be as bothersome about it ... hopefully.

Edited by Phoenix

Kelas grimaced; this was new. "I doubt she'll be able to find anyone who'd be willing to do that, not anyone she trusts to do it, anyway, and she can't make herself go more than ten minutes without snapping at someone else, either" she mused. "And she acts like we're the ones what are mad. I don't think she could really do that even if she wanted though..."

Iso

Iso: I hope she's not actually up to something that insane and intrusive but ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I came back to this damn group ready and willing to cooperate for the greater good and the first thing that happens when I leave the room is Morgan jumping down my throat. I just can't work with that woman ...

Iso

Iso: I ... I guess I'm fine. I even managed to keep my cool back there. (Even though I had to get the hell out of there just to do it ...) L-like I said, I'm just glad you're here. I'm not just a tool to everyone. Thanks ... again.

Iso found himself leaning slightly toward Kelas, but wasn't entirely sure why or what he even had in mind. The lean started off noticeable but eventually slowed to a crawl leaving him in a somewhat awkward midway ....

"Does anyone know when there will be food?"

This wasn't an answer and Sadie knew it. Clearly either Arrin didn't know what was going on or he did know and didn't want to talk about it. Either way, it would be best to drop the subject.

"I don't really know. Sorry."

Meanwhile with Alf, he turned to see Iso leaving before facing Esphyr again.

"Target while he was gone...yeah. It's to be expected since he has that book with him, but still. He's more of a magnet than anyone else for lots of shit flying towards us, what with that sorcerer and all...Think we might be leaving today?"

---------------------

Rogue

Everyone was dead. Iso was dead, Damian was without a head, Morgan was dead, they were all dead. And she didn't have to even do anything. She just suddenly walked there and boom! All dead!

On the one hand, such carnage was disgusting but on the other hand, she was free! She could just pick up strands of her old life, plot her next move against Halton, get some food, anything really.

A smile formed on Reika's lips as she dreamed.

"Not a chance," Esphyr immediately droned, "We're here to see what the countries decide to do about the demons and we're kind of important for that. I don't think we'll be leaving until the summit is over." The marcenary woman stretched lazily before ragdolling in her chair again and stared at the table. It was empty, which was sort of annoying, but Esphyr didn't feel like doing anything about it at the moment. Someone would be around to fix that problem soon enough. Really, she had her own problem to deal with. "... Do you know any good hobbies?"