Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

Iso

Iso: Thank you ... really.

Iso's frozen lean kicked back in and he finally realized that he really just wanted to give his friend a hug. Why else would he be moving steadily closer? He felt a little nervous ... just like before, but he was already in an awkward position. It could probably get worse, but Kelas's words gave him the opportunity, so he took it and embraced her ... entirely unsure what would happen afterward.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelas was surprised by the hug, but reflexively returned it. She couldn't shake the previous awkwardness, though, and after a moment, she leaned back slightly, placing her hands on his shoulders. After a brief hesitation she looked him in the eye. She didn't know how badly this was going to go. "What are we doing here, Iso?" she asked quietly. "You're confusing me a little lately, and... I dunno, I just don't really want to be confused constantly. Are we..." she trailed off, not entirely sure how to finish the sentence.

Iso

Iso: What are we ... wha ...? (What does she m-)

Iso's thoughts immediately froze when he thought back to just before he left to Zaftra. He hadn't been sure why at the time either, but she did kiss him. A deep blush came and Iso looked away for a moment, trying to get his thoughts in order.

Iso: I mean we're ... friends, right? (Though ... I guess it's not quite like that either. When's the last time I fell asleep with a friend even though I had a room of my own? I don't do that no matter how tired I am, period.) Well ... I guess maybe ...

He put his hand behind his head and began rubbing nervously. The words were just not coming, were they? It was getting even more difficult to think, then, as well. That kiss kept coming up in his mind. He never figured out what it was or why it happened.

Iso: Kelas ... do you remember before I left with the others to Zaftra? Do you remember that kiss you gave me?

He kept his head down as he asked this, not so much shying away as trying to remember it properly without the shock of her being right there in front of him.

Iso: What was it ... why ... (How to ... word this.) What ... was it, exactly? Was there ... a reason for it ...?

Having voiced his question ... somewhat--he returned his gaze to Kelas. From there, he was able to begin calming down if only a little. He forced himself to keep eye contact whenever possible.

"I..." No, this wasn't going particularly well, and Kelas was finding it harder to talk about it now. She looked down for a moment. "I knew that you couldn't afford to be discovered, then, so I tried to think of a way to get you to act surprised, like you didn't expect me to say anything... guess it worked... but... I don't think I would have been able to do that if I hadn't meant it, too," she explained haltingly. "And you're not interested, it wouldn't work out anyway... guess I've just gone and made things awkward now."

Edited by Kiryn

Iso

Iso: N-no that's not-! ... it's ...

Iso's body tried desperately to look away so he could think clearer, but he refused to look away before Kelas did.

Iso: It's ... not like I ... wouldn't be interested ... I'm just ... ... ... (... ... ... scared .... What's going to happen to her ...? Shanice? Some garbage with the Zaftrans? This entire mission coming down on us? People I care about always end up dead save for Irina, and it's got me so scared that reverting to a shy little kid is all I can do to protect myself. This is ridiculous, isn't it?) Kelas, I'm so sorry. This isn't ... how I'm supposed to be. I've just been so afraid. People I'm very close to ... tend to die in the long run, and I don't want that to happen to you ... ... ...especially not you. It's all so pointless, though. My allies are obvious, aren't they? The demons don't care how close we are ... they kill everyone I lo- ... everyone I care about. I ... I trust you, I enjoy your company-I ... just like being around you in general. If ... if anything, I'm the one making this awkward .... (I ... guess I'll just have to put more of myself into this, then, huh? She is important to me ...)

Iso finally decided breathing was a good idea and did so ...

Edited by Phoenix

Morgan

Morgan sighed heavily. "I suppose the damage has already been done...for the time being. There seems to be little point on lecturing him further on this matter; though I will not tolerate future antics of this nature. I would tell you about the various problems your deception would have wrought, but convincing demons of anything is a bigger waste of my time than talking to Isotov," she said to Miranda, hand on her forehead.

"Hey, give me a little credit, I've survived this long, and everyone who's out to get us probably already thinks we're..." Kelas' attempt at to lighten up inevitably fell flat. She sat back, looking away. "But... it wouldn't work." She was just one big chain of bad ideas lately; this conversation was going to make it hard to talk normally later, and was making them both feel worse.

Iso

Iso: I'll ... just feel better once Shanice is gone.

He put his head down again once Kelas had looked away. One thing Kelas said stuck out, though, and Iso found that he really wanted to address it.

Iso: ... and ... what do you mean 'it wouldn't work'?

Miranda

Miranda: Again with this 'demon' thing. Well fine, then, you little racist. Keep pretending the world is black and white ...

She then approached Morgan and came face to face, so close that it probably wasn't comfortable for either of them. The look on Miranda's face became more menacing as well.

Miranda: ... just don't be surprised when the colors finally fade and all you find is black, ready to swallow you whole. Just keep walking this path, and you'll learn what that means~

She then smiled and backed away to where she had been standing before.

"Well, because you don't want to... and because we don't know what will happen when this is all over..." Kelas gave a miserable little shrug. "I thought... maybe we could, even for a little while... but since you're not comfortable with it, I've just made us both feel worse. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything." This hurt, and she'd brought it upon herself. What else was new.

Iso

Iso: What?

Iso paused to take a gulp. He suddenly knew deep down what was about to happen. The way Kelas was sitting there, and how it was pulling at him to react; it was getting to be too much for Iso to try and block out, anymore.

Iso: Don't say that.

He came closer and hugged her again, this time he was stronger, not wanting her to break out of it.

Iso: ... o-of course I do ... or it wouldn't have bothered me so much. (It's strange ... I kind of feel like I'm losing control, here ... and yet, I might finally have some back ...)

The last thing Kelas was expecting at this point was a hug, but it was definitely a happy surprise, and her mood lightened significantly. It occurred to her that she might have misinterpreted a few points in the conversation, which was a little worrying for her communicative abilities, but for the moment, given the circumstances, she didn't mind. She returned the hug, relaxing into it. "Oh. Okay," she said quietly. It hardly looked like a smooth path ahead, but she felt much less awkward and distressed than she had moments ago. She wasn't about to make any predictions so foolish as the idea that eventually, everything would turn out all right, but she couldn't deny that right now it seemed like things would, at least for now, maybe be a little better.

There was plenty more to discuss now, but there had already been so many stressful conversations this morning that it seemed better to just stay put for the moment. There would be time for all of that later; for now, Kelas rested, content to stay where she was.

Upon waking up, Hainam immediately rolled over to the cooler side of his bedroll to catch more sleep. He would have continued such activity had his stomach not been hungry. Why must the gods give us hunger, grumbled the nomad rubbing his unkept facial hair, if only humans did not need to eat, they could spend less time hunting, cooking and eating, and spend those time doing enjoyable things...like sleeping.

After an hour of silent contemplation, Hainam finally found the motivation to actually stand up, pick up his bow and walk out of his makeshift tent in order to hunt game and check on the traps he had prepared. Thus far his silent existence has managed to avoid the attention of any patrols or authorities as he seldom moved around much anyway, and his tent was so shoddily set up, one could mistaken it for a bush...an ugly decaying one at that.

But this silent existence could not last forever. Hainam knew he had to find work soon to survive in the outside world. He did not know how to craft arrows, hence his limited stock is now down to the last dozen odd arrows he left the tribe with. To get more, he would need to buy them, therein lies his issue. He needed gold, badly. Food can be obtained in the wild, and his precise shots meant there was never an arrow wasted in obtaining a wild hare a day at least. Slowly he would skin as much wild hare's as possible, sell their pelts, preserve their meat as rations for a long journey and bury their remains. The plan had worked well so far, and soon, he knew he could move on from this pitiful existence.

As he walked silently, Hainam mused over the past events he had gone through...

Morgan

And now she exposes her true nature...I will be keeping a close eye on that one as long as she is nearby. she thought to herself, before beginning to walk away from the Zaftran quarters.

Charlotte

Charlotte woke up early the next morning and decided to spend a bit more time on her appearance than usual. No attendants with her, no maids to fit her into her dress or fix her hair, just her. Being alone was somewhat lonely, but also oddly comforting in a sense. I never thought things would end up like this, not before Mother and Father died, not even after Jace took over...but here I am all the same. I've come too far to stop now... she thought to herself, sitting on a bench outside where most of the group had stayed in the Haltonian embassy. She hoped one of them might know when and where the summit was being held, or at least would provide her some company as she tried to find it, as traveling alone was not necessarily safe.

The Lev

Miranda shrugged and walked off. Hearing the various footsteps, Lev opened the door. He didn't fully exit, however. Instead he waved the druidess down.

Lev: Need to speak with you for a minute ... in private.

The word 'private' was accompanied by a couple of head jerks toward the door he was holding open.

The Demon

Miranda walked down the hall, a little too casually with Fenrir in tow.

Miranda: (Okay so Iso's somewhere in that area ... with Goddess knows who ... so a left up here and ... the dining room? Noooo.)

She'd arrived in the dining room where some of the other party members were gathered, but just kept on walking. She quickly found the place she was looking for though ...

Miranda: Ahah! So that's where my hug went!

Iso flinched, an act that turned the hug into a very brief vice grip before he let go and gave Miranda that classic look of shock that she was so fond of.

Iso: Wh-what is it?!

She shrugged.

Miranda: Can't I just drop by and check on you every now and then?

The Cathedral

With the proper guidance, Henry and Kamilla arrived at the cathedral in Burgosas. Kamilla looked around at the structure for a moment. Then, she turned to Henry.

Kamilla: This is definitely it. Let's go inside.

"Could you possibly be any worse at letting well enough alone?" Kelas grumbled at Miranda's appearance. She also had gone bright red as she pulled away; admitting things to herself, and then to Isotov, was one thing, but admitting them to others-- especially Miranda-- was quite another. "Can't you at least bother someone else, someone who isn't so clearly not wanting to be bothered at the moment?"

-----------------------------------

Arrin looked around, a little dejectedly, to see if anyone else seemed to know about when the food would appear, but there turned out to be no need; several of the building's staff had just appeared, placing a few trays of food at the front of the room. "Oh, excellent," Arrin said happily, and jumped up to get plates for himself and Tessa. Once he sat down again he was not particularly good for conversation, since his mouth was pretty much continually stuffed.

EDIT because nobody else wanted to make breakfast be a thing

Edited by Kiryn

While she waited for Alf to answer, breakfast seemed to have begun, so she took her plate and began to fill it until it had a balanced, moderate amount of food on it and she began eating, still waiting on his reply, though primarily from lack of anything else to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Though quick, the bath had been effective and Tas felt refreshed, though hungy. His trip to the dining area was guided not only by directions he'd gotten from one of the wandering people he didn't know, but also by the new scent of the meal. He arrived quickly enough and began mimicking a few of the others in collecting his plate and then serving himself. There weren't very many gathered yet, but he expected that would change soon enough and so simply began hungrily enjoying his breakfast.

Esphyr's attention wandered over to someone she hadn't seen in a while stuffing his face with the large breakfast he'd allowed himself: the wyvern rider who apparently had a brother-like bond with his wyvern. His absense actually hadn't occurred to her until just now. (He must be very quiet unless talking about wyverns...or eating.) Letting her gaze wander, her eyes fell on Arrin who seemed to also be ravenously attacking a full plate. (You'd think we were all starving...)

Something bugged Midori about the meal. This all seemed so very familiar, yet wrong. Did she dine like this before? Food was food, even if something deep in her mind was uncomfortable, so she sat down and ate. Not bad!

Morgan

"I suppose you heard all that then," Morgan said to Lev matter-of-factly, stepping through the doorway. "What do you wish to discuss?" she asked him, pleased that he did not appear to be wasting too much time with pleasantries. Humans had this odd habit of greeting each other with things like "hello" and the disingenuous "how are yous" she was really beginning to find quite irritating.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Proxima's Wielder

Miranda: Oooooh I get it, privacy. I used to make a show of things like that to piss others off, sorry. Not sure you could do all that much before someone else randomly shows up though.

Iso: What?

Miranda: I'm just saying, be really quick if you're going to try and-

Iso: MIRANDA!!!

Miranda: Eep!

She leaped back trying not to laugh as she did and got behind a corner.

Miranda: Alright, alright, I can see you've gotten you'r prize and now you're hostile. I'll just leave you to it, then. Bye~

And then she was gone. Iso was left with the most embarrassed look on his face.

Flemeth's Amusement

Lev: Yeah, I heard it all.

He shut the door and then turned to face her.

Lev: Iso sure likes to use whatever cards ... anyway, there's something you need to know. The battle in Kalten was a mess, but Iso and Irina got through it alright ... hell, Irina even did Ivanko's job and killed the emperor. After the battle, though ... a woman disguised as you showed up--poorly disguised but not the point. Ixion called her 'Flemeth' and she confirmed it.

"You want to just go somewhere else for a while so we can avoid incidents like that? ...Especially since you probably just woke a bunch of people up, and maybe got Morgan's attention again?" Kelas asked. She was running out of energy for providing Miranda with indignant reactions when that was clearly what the demon was fishing for; mostly she wanted quiet for now, and maybe for Miranda to never show up in her vicinity again. It would have been nice for at least a little time to pass between the change in their situation before somebody started making lewd remarks about it, and Kelas suspected it would probably be a good idea to keep things quiet for a while to avoid provoking similar reactions from the more obnoxious members of the group. "I was going to go out for a ride round the outskirts of town earlier, you want to come with?"

Iso

Iso: That's ... actually a good idea. Maybe ride out somehwere?

The fire sage clearly wanted to get away from the embassy as a whole.

Iso: Is Francis still around? I ... don't really want to ride Kiev, right now. I've had my fill of flying for awhile.

Edited by Phoenix

Morgan

Morgan sighed heavily at Lev's news. "I suppose it was foolish to wish she had simply died of old age, considering how long she has persisted thus far. But why was she in Zaftra? And why reveal her presence at all? A shapeshifter need not show themselves if they do not wish it- as you already have learned I suspect," Morgan said to Lev.

Lev

Lev: Apparently she was protecting Iso--err Proxmia ... whichever. I don't know anything beyond that, though. Iso and I didn't fight together. She and Ixion seem to get along just fine, though.

He gave a wry look at the mention of Ixion and then continued.

Lev: Right, moving on ... I got a word in with her. I wanted to figure out what her intentions were with you. I didn't get a straight answer ... not one we can really trust, at least. She said she'll leave you alone until the Demon King is dealt with "and some time after". (At first, I thought that the solution, here might be to have Morgan train to become strong enough to overpower Flemeth if she ever tried to possess her body ... but nothing's that simple ... that might even be what Flemeth wants ... a stronger Morgan. If so then there aren't a lot of preparations we can really make for something like that ...) She made it pretty clear that you haven't slipped her mind ....

Edited by Phoenix

"Yeah, he's here," Kelas replied. "Why don't you go get your coat and some fresh clothes since you were traveling in those yesterday, and I'll go get the horses ready." She gave Isotov a quick squeeze round the shoulders after making sure that Miranda hadn't come back to gawk, then picked up her coat and headed out to the stables, giving Charlotte a wave as she walked out of the main building.

She was greeted by an odd sight in the stables. A wyvern-- Irina's wyvern-- was fast asleep in the aisle, right in front of Amari's stall. The hostlers were just trying to work around him, and he'd been there long enough that most of the horses were no longer panicking over the presence of a large predator-- this one was clearly not a threat. Many were still on edge, though.

Amari, on the other hand, was dozing. As the wyvern had squawked continuously at her the night before she'd just stared, utterly bewildered at what could possibly be wrong with the silly wyvern. She'd responded with a single snort-- well, whatever that was about, glad you're done with it-- and gone back to idling. That he was still here was something of an inconvenience now that Kelas had come to get her, but if she couldn't wake Kiev, she'd just jump over him.

Kelas got out Francis first, saddling him and making sure he wasn't too spooked by Kiev. Francis seemed just about as nonchalant about it as Amari, mostly because he'd decided that all this strangeness was just his lot in life. The gelding stood patiently while Kelas groomed him, waiting on cross-ties while Kelas ducked into Amari's stall to groom and saddle her own mount.

Amari immediately noticed Kelas' change in mood; she'd gone from miserable to tired but content to actually happy within the span of less than a day. She had the red man's smell all over her, too, and recently. Amari swished her tail a bit in exasperation and hoped that Kelas hadn't done anything stupid, and would continue to not do anything stupid until this ridiculousness with constant danger and journeying was over. Still, she was glad to have a happy rider again, and expressed it by nosing at Kelas' pockets until a very squashed and probably old treat was retrieved from their depths and presented.

Amari made a halfhearted attempt at shoving Kiev out of the way before jumping over a few outstretched limbs to the aisle, waiting for Kelas to come untie Francis and bring both of them outside. It was a crisp, chilly day, and Kelas was glad for her coat, though not yet convinced that it would be better to stay inside.

Iso and Irina

On his way back to the room, Iso ran into his sister.

Iso: ... morning.

He kept his head down, hoping to avoid notice, but he should have known better than to do something noticeable to avoid notice.

Irina: Morning. What's wrong?

Iso: Nothing, I just need to head out for awhile ...

Irina: ... alright, if you don't want to tell me, I won't pry. I'm going to go get breakfast. Hopefully Tas, Aiya, and the others are out there. I was looking forward to telling them about the battle. It was pretty scary at the time, but now I think it makes for a great story, don't you think?

Iso: I spent most of it looking for you and coming up short. I'm glad you find it such a great tale.

Irina: ... I'm sorry.

Iso shook his head.

Iso: No, I am. That wasn't really called for. Let's just ... try not to get separated again like that.

Irina: Right. So wherever you're going, don't go too far, heheh.

Iso: Right.

With that, Irina headed off toward the dining area. Iso headed for the guest room they were using and changed clothes. Once he was done, he stepped back out into the hall.