FE 8 HM Playlog

I swear I posted Chapter 12...

Chapter 12 (Ephraim):

New Units:

None

Ewan - A frontrunner for the most fail character in any Fire Emblem Game. Piss poor bases, one shotted by everything, and his growths aren't as spectacular as people make them seem. He's not all that much better at 20/20 than Saleh.

Marisa - A late joining swordmaster with worse bases and growths than Joshua. Bad durability, bad damage output.

Units Deployed: Ephraim, Seth, Franz, Duessel, Tana, Cormag, Natasha, Moulder, L'Arachel, Garcia, Joshua, Artur

This chapter is easy.

Be wary that on turn 2, some monsters will show up, most notably the gargoyles in the bottom left of the map. To end the chapter kill the boss.

Note that Marisa is automatically recruited at the chapters end if you recruit Ewan, and don't kill her.

I sent Artur, Franz, Seth, and Natasha up the left side, and everyone else up the right. Moulder, Joshua and Garcia took care of the ship on the right, while, Duessel, Ephraim, and L'Arachel headed north. Tana and Cormag flew around, assiting when needed. Seth and Duessel took care of the boss. Tana recruited Ewan, and went for a round in the arena.

8 Turns.

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

UNIT         LEVEL          HP   STR   SKL   SPD   LCK   DEF   RES   WEP                   SUPPORT
Ephraim      15.07          33    13    16    17    15    13     4    A Lance 
Seth      ??/09.66          38    16    17    14    16    14    10    S Lance A Sword
Franz        16.97          32    13    14    18     4    10     1    B Lance D Sword
Gilliam      06.85          27    11     7     3     4    10     3    C Lance
Vanessa      06.02          20     7    11    16     7     8     6    C Lance
Moulder   10/01.62          22     8     8    15     2     2     5    A Staff D Light
Ross        -06.11          16     6     4     4    10     3     1    E Axe
Garcia       14.21          36    16    11    10     8     6     1    B Axe
Niemi        01.00          Base                                      D Bow                 C Colm
Colm         06.36          22     6     4    13    11     5     1    D Sword               C Niemi
Artur        10.61          26     9    10    10     2     3    10    C Light
Lute         01.00          Base                                      C Anima
Natasha      07.06          19     6     6    12    11     4    11    B Staves
Joshua       18.44          36    15    20*   20*   12     7     3    A Sword
Forde        13.24          30    10    11     9     9    10     2    B Lance D Sword
Kyle         12.51          32    13     9     9     6    11     2    B Lance D Sword
Amelia      -10.00          Base
Tana         10.22          25     9    12    16    13     6    10    C Lance
Cormag       12.90          33    15    10    11     6    14     3    C Lance
Duessel   ??/10.64          42    18    12    14     8    18     9    A Axe A Sword A Lance
L'Arachel    03.71          Base
Dolza     ??/01.03          Base
Ewan        -10.00          Base
Marisa       05.00          Base

Edited by General_Horace

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewan - A frontrunner for the most fail character in any Fire Emblem Game. Piss poor bases, one shotted by everything, and his growths aren't as spectacular as people make them seem. He's not all that much better at 20/20 than Saleh.

I say Wendy's even worse.

Ewan gets more accurate methods to take EXP, a faster rate of EXP gain, and quicker promo bonuses than Wendy. In their promoted classes, Ewan has the option to go MK for mounted movement or summoner for summons while general is just a terrible class.

In a nutshell: you couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by dondon151

I agree with this statement.

Indeed. Level 1 + Piss poor bases + terrible jointime (for the record, she joins right before the Western Isles, and is in a lance-locked class) = Clear-cut candidate for worst unit in all FE.

She can at least take a hit from something.

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that she's terrible beyond redemption.

I say Wendy's even worse.

Other people may have said this already, but I am in complete agreement as well.

While Ewan is crap, I can still do things to make him usable(have him chip at enemies for massive EXP, throw him into the Tower of Grinding if I have to.) Wendy is beyond redemption; I mean seriously. Her base stats are worse than what Bors, who joined 7 chapters ago(and was not doing anyone but me any favors in those seven chapters.)had, and joins before a giant axe-fest(including things that can 'GASP' OHKO her at base). Not only that, she is in a bad class and has a bad durability growth for her class(srsly 30def? That would've been decent on a cavalier, but a KNIGHT? Cut me a break. And I thought Bors' def growth was kinda low for a knight.)

In other words, Wendy sucks. And this video proves it.

Note that this was a Normal Mode armor. And this is not my video(I neither use Wendy nor play NM.)

Edited by darkandroid125

Yes. I'm convinced. Your one random video on YouTube utterly proofs your argument, DA. I bow to you.

in less sarcasm ewan is way better than wendy.

Edited by Integrity

Wendy is far, far better than Ewan.

What. I don't know how you could even say that at all. And you're dead wrong anyhow. At least Ewan can be made usable. That's more than can be said for Wendy.

Note that Marisa is automatically recruited at the chapters end if you recruit Ewan, and don't kill her.

I... never realised. I always just killed her because I couldn't be bothered moving across Ewan.

andnothingofvaluewaslost.jpg

Chapter 13 (Ephraim):

Units Deployed: Ephraim, Seth, Duessel, Franz, Joshua, Natasha, Moulder, Colm, Tana, Artur, Garcia,

New Units:

Gerik - Excellent bases carry Gerik a long way. He comes at level 10, and with a promotion item, so he can be insta promoted if need be. He's durable, hits hard, and is more often than not fast enough to double.

Tethys - Some people hold dancers in very high esteem, and rightfully so, they are great to have around. Feed her a robe, and she will be able to take a hit. For some weird reason however, I dislike Tethys.

First few turns of this chapter can be tough, because of Selena wielding Bolting. Watch the HP of your units. Also, suicide pegs appear on turn 2, so watch your sword locked units and magic users. Pirates will appear to try to destroy the southern village if you take too long as well.

I sent Seth solo down to the south village, with Garcia protecting Natasha from the pegs. Tana dropped Duessel across the river, and he headed for Selena.

On Gerik's side, he chilled out until Joshua, Franz, and Moulder arrived as backup. Colm stole the speedwings of a mage.

Duessel ended up killing Selena, and hit S in axes.

7 Turns.

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

UNIT         LEVEL          HP   STR   SKL   SPD   LCK   DEF   RES   WEP                   SUPPORT
Ephraim      15.61          33    13    16    17    15    13     4    A Lance 
Seth      ??/10.35          39    16    17    14    16    14    10    S Lance A Sword
Franz        18.10          33    14    15    19     6    10     1    A Lance D Sword
Gilliam      06.85          27    11     7     3     4    10     3    C Lance
Vanessa      06.02          20     7    11    16     7     8     6    C Lance
Moulder   10/02.73          22     8     8    15     2     2     5    A Staff D Light
Ross        -06.11          16     6     4     4    10     3     1    E Axe
Garcia       14.74          36    16    11    10     8     6     1    A Axe
Niemi        01.00          Base                                      D Bow                 C Colm
Colm         06.47          22     6     4    13    11     5     1    D Sword               C Niemi
Artur        10.92          26     9    10    10     2     3    10    C Light
Lute         01.00          Base                                      C Anima
Natasha      07.42          19     6     6    12    11     4    11    B Staves
Joshua       19.24          37    16    20*   20*   12     7     4    A Sword
Forde        13.24          30    10    11     9     9    10     2    B Lance D Sword
Kyle         12.51          32    13     9     9     6    11     2    B Lance D Sword
Amelia      -10.00          Base
Tana         11.90          26     9    12    17    14     6    10    C Lance
Cormag       12.90          33    15    10    11     6    14     3    C Lance
Duessel   ??/11.60          43    18    13    14     8    19     9    S Axe A Sword A Lance
L'Arachel    03.71          Base
Dolza     ??/01.03          Base
Ewan        -10.00          Base
Marisa       05.00          Base
Gerik        14.04          36    15    15    17    10    10     4    B Sword
Tethys       01.70          Base

And a question, Rouges still have the ability to steal, correct?

Edited by General_Horace

Holy Christ, your Gerik is on speed. 17 speed at 14/0 is almost unheard of given his 30% spd growth. Hell, even my Gerik only had 14 speed at 14/0, and had either 15 or 16 when I promoted him(need to finish that playthrough and beat my old turncount next PT.) Also, your Cormag is almost as defense blessed as mine was.

It should also be known that your Garcia is slightly str and spd blessed. Not as blessed as my Ross was in spd at 7/0, but still.

And yes, Rogues can steal, just like thieves. The only difference is that rogues can steal from up to 30 spd.

P.S: What are your planned promotion paths for Gerik and Cornmug?

I know that Josh, Garcia, Tana, and the cavs are likely going SM, Hero, Falco, and Pally, respectively. Just asking.

Edited by darkandroid125

I'm planning on Hero Gerik, because if he goes ranger, he'll never use bows, and 1-2 range is more important than 1 more mov.

As for Cormag, I would prefer Wyvern Lord, and I still have some speedwings kicking around in case his speed doesn't turn out well.

Ewan gets more accurate methods to take EXP, a faster rate of EXP gain, and quicker promo bonuses than Wendy. In their promoted classes, Ewan has the option to go MK for mounted movement or summoner for summons while general is just a terrible class.

In a nutshell: you couldn't be more wrong.

Ewan is about as sturdy as a stack of feathers, needs at least one chapter of babying before he can even become a normal unit, and he's not even worth it compared to units like Lute. Sure, Wendy sucks, but Ewan sucks harder.

As for promotion, who cares what he can promote to if he's making life incredibly difficult just to get there? Sure, I could make him into a MK and then go "well he's mounted so he's going to be saving me some time later on", but that's just false when you consider the fact that he likely caused the player to lose more turns than he'd save. The input is greater than the output, so the point is essentially worthless.

I'm expecting to be outnumbered.

Edited by Bearissoslow

Ewan is about as sturdy as a stack of feathers, needs at least one chapter of babying before he can even become a normal unit, and he's not even worth it compared to units like Lute. Sure, Wendy sucks, but Ewan sucks harder.

As for promotion, who cares what he can promote to if he's making life incredibly difficult just to get there? Sure, I could make him into a MK and then go "well he's mounted so he's going to be saving me some time later on", but that's just false when you consider the fact that he likely caused the player to lose more turns than he'd save. The input is greater than the output.

I'm not seeing how Wendy's better when she has to take a counter most of the time when she attacks, in addition to having to be spoonfed kills and far from reliable hit rates. Oh, and she's attacking defense, and common Fire Emblem knowledge dictates that unless it's a mage, enemies have higher defense than resistance. Just to measure base Wendy up:

11 Atk/79 Hit with Iron Lance

8 Atk/89 Hit with Slim Lance

13Atk/64 Hit with Steel Lance

10 Atk/64 Hit with Javelin

...Damn. That sucks hardcore. And that's not even mentioning she gets weighed down by the last two weapons AND joins right before the Western Isles, which means tons of WTD.

You DO realize that Wendy's much worse off, right...?

The input is greater than the output, so the point is essentially worthless.

So what about Wendy?

Maybe you should read your own arguments before posting them to see if they make sense. Everything that you said about Ewan can be said of for Wendy, minus the utility upon promotion.

EDIT: Sweet copout.

Edited by dondon151

She can at least take a hit from something.

...But gets doubled and 1RKO'd in return.

Sorry I have better things to do then argue about units in games that I don't like. If you think less of me, boo fuckin' hoo. Go get your argument fetish elsewhere.

Ahahahahahahaha.

As for promotion, who cares what he can promote to if he's making life incredibly difficult just to get there? Sure, I could make him into a MK and then go "well he's mounted so he's going to be saving me some time later on", but that's just false when you consider the fact that he likely caused the player to lose more turns than he'd save. The input is greater than the output, so the point is essentially worthless.

The same can be said for Wendy. But the issue with Wendy is that there is no output. She never stops being a General. Ewan will eventually be useful (and it's not like chipping and taking the occasional kill is that big a negative either, especially when you consider that it's much harder to feed Wendy kills because of her 1-range and low movement). So it's a smaller negative and a larger positive.

Wendy totally has 2-range. She just shares it with almost everybody else, takes from a limited supply (fire in fe8 is not practically limited whatsoever) and faces somewhere to the tune of 30s to hit with it.

But it IS 2-range.

Wendy totally has 2-range. She just shares it with almost everybody else, takes from a limited supply (fire in fe8 is not practically limited whatsoever) and faces somewhere to the tune of 30s to hit with it.

But it IS 2-range.

How are Javelins limited and Fire not when they're both buyable? Unless you mean it's limited because more units use Lances than Anima, thus it's harder for her to get her hands on one?