Return of the Emblem Chapter Five: The Retrieval

Phoenix

''What?'' John asked. ''She has lost her entire group, and you're thinking of taking some of their share? Unbelievable...'' He shook his head. ''Besides, she's right. The money may still be going to what is was needed for regardless.''

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zel

Zelatus nodded to Chelsea and Veronika. "Well, I'll see what I can get off. If either of your ladies are shy about this look away now... though something tells me that doesn't apply to either of you..." He said. With a minor crack of his knuckles he started to undo the straps and buckles on Axel's armor, thought it seemed pretty second nature to him, life as a paige and a squire made working with armor pretty easy. Especially stripping it off a wounded man.

Shadrak

Shadrak sighed. "Why what? Why am I telling you? So you'd understand where I'm coming from if I ever get bitter about it. Not to mention, every chance I get to solve a little arrogance in the world, the better. Whether it be a noble, a merchant, or a hunter aside." He told Robin with a smile. He raised his hand, indicating 'one minute'. "THAT RAVEN'S MINE!" He called to the air, hoping that whatever was holding her up was sentient... which he pretty sure was, the bird was smart, it'd take something else intelligent to truly get in the way.

Krystal

Krystal sighed. "I was wondering if I can accompany your group." She said. "I've been... thinking about exploring the world, and your lot seem to get around, considering the group. I feel that following your group would allow me to do so... safely. Especially after this incident..." Krystal chuckled out, scratching her head nervously as she did.

Relative Success

Hearing someone call out about a raven, the crewman paused. Naoki also paused since he understood enough of what was going on to not need to call out anymore. He heard Shadrak's voice, and he was getting closer by the second. That was good enough and he waited patiently in the shirt until the crewman curiously opened it up a bit. The raven stuck his head out and spotted the person he was looking for. If not for his wet feathers he would have flown over. No matter he could simply be handed off. There was the matter of the message however. Some of the words might have been smugged. On the other hand, even if they were, Chie may have done something to counter this.

Relative Safety

"You've sure got an odd choice in travel companions. People are always trying to kill us ... that or we're giving them reason to try." Raquel replied noting the very mission they had just wrapped up. She still didn't know if there were any casualties or not and wasn't about to get her hopes up. "I guess there's nothing terribly wrong with putting your life on the line for a little exploration, but maybe you should consider another group. Heck, I'm pretty sure it won't be long before we're under attack again or chasing after some really powerful group."

Nadya

"And how do we know she won't just take off with more than her share? There's no way to guarantee that gold's ever going to get to the family of those dead guys- not without someone alive to carry it to 'em. If I keeled over I wouldn't expect you lot to take care of my family either," Nadya said, crossing her arms.

Connor

"Oh, so it's an artifact, not an invention. Sometimes I'm amazed at what our ancestors came up with that we haven't been able to replicate. That might be the only amplifier left in all of Sardius," Connor said thoughtfully.

Veronika

"I think I will leave just the same- I am no healer, his fate no longer rests in my hands," she said simply, leaving the area.

Edited by -Cynthia-

It didn't look like there would be any dinner just yet and there was something that had been bothering Gytha since the euphoria of being on a ship again wore off. She'd lost sight of Damian the pirate back in that last, huge city with the fight with the artificial humans. She hadn't seen nor heard what happened to him, either. There was enough going on back then to serve as a distraction but now that they were on a ship it was a fairly present reminder that keeping an eye on an old enemy was hard to do if there was neither hair nor hide of the person you were watching about. "I'll check back 'ere later," she mentioned for any listening as she excused herself to look for Raquel. The woman with the pink hair was a merchant, after all, and so was the most likely target for the dead pirate that Gytha didn't know was dead.

Robin's eyes went wide with slight amusement as she saw a pet raven pull itself out and try to make its way to Shadrak. "<You have a raven as a pet?>" she asked in seemingly approving surprise. She carefully bent down and extended her hand towards the bird, trying her best to mimic the call of ravens she had seen out in the wild. They were smart birds. Nasty, vile, but smart. Not as pleasing a pet as a mangy dog or a cuddly cat, but they could figure out how to preform some tasks that some humans couldn't figure out. In the wild she had seen them drop stones into depleted water holes to push the water up so they could drink. Robin didn't even know that was possible until she had seen it for herself.

''With the way she's taking the situation I don't think she'd betray her comrades like that. Besides, it's not like they were part of our group, so I don't think we're going to get more than what was promised to us anyway.'' John answered.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Zelatus

Zel sighed as he looked down at what he was actually able to get off. The chest plates were completely melded together, and his helmet was sealed. All he managed to get off were the gauntlets, the pauldrons, and his greaves. "I'm going to need tome help getting all this off, as in, magic... but I managed to open some of it up for you Chelsea." He said. Now I'm really amazed this man survived... if not from the concussive force, how didn't he just get cooked alive in his armor?

Shadrak

Shadrak rolled his eyes a little. "<Not a pet... me and my master use him to carry messages.>" He told Robin... biting his tongue on the whole 'Oh yeah, we've also pretty much brainwashed it' bit. He then turned to the crew man that had halted the little guys quest. "Thank you for finding my raven sir, though it was completely unnecessary, um, if you could hand it too my friend here, that would be appreciated." He then looked directly at Naoki. "{Let the woman handle you and take the note, I trust her enough to just hand it to me.}" He told the bird in Kigenese.

Krystal

Krystal thought for a second. Well... hmm.... she does bring up a good point... but... "Well, ya know, you're really the first free travelling group I've seen.. heck, heard of, in awhile, so unless we... er I, run into one of these sorts of groups, you'd be my best bet for now." She chirped up, Smiling nervously.

Fair Shares and Information

"You people will just have to take it up with Weyland, I guess." Gio said shrugging.

"I dunno, I always pictured the Kigenese as a bit family obsessed. These mercenaries aren't helpin' me with that stereotype if they went through all this trouble ..." Gabbie commented.

"That aside, do you think we're gettin' anythin' else outta this one, Fira?"

"Mmm, I thought to befriend her so she would perhaps share something with us, but she seems to hate me the most out of everyone here." Fira explained gloomily.

"Whoa wait, she hates you, more than me ... the one who broke two of her fingers just because I felt loike it, and and stabbed her with a lance. Seriously? I mean I didn't have to stab her with the lance but I thought it moight help get my point across and it was kinda fun."

"You're depraved." Fira commented blankly. "She hates me because of my parents ... and the fact that I associate with humans."

Eh, who gives a damn about your parents ...

Handing Off The Bird

"Well, okay. Here ya go, miss." the crewman said giving the shirt wrapped raven over to Robin. Naoki didn't move much at all. He was told to let her handle him, not be friendly or social, so he kept silent and kept from doing anything sudden or aggressive.

Grouping

"Well ... if you really want to, I guess that's fine, but I can't guarantee your safety just so you know." Raquel explained. We actually had a casualty recently ... and we may have another one right now that I don't even know about yet. she thought gloomily. "Also, one more thing. It would be pointless for you to travel with us if you didn't actually do anything. Even Connor managed to find a job that helps support us." she said gesturing over to the wagon Connor was in. "You've got to find some way to help us out, even if it's just something small at first." Helping me out with supplies is the first thing that comes to mind but maybe there are other things she can do. This ice umbrella thing seems to point to that.

"Feathered friends seem t' be ev'rywere," comented Gytha as she approached the merchant and the bird lady. "This someone I should know?" she asked Raquel, "Real sorry 'bout not bein' on th' mission, but someone had t' watch out fer Maw. Speakin' o' watchin' out, have ye seen Damian? I haven't been able t' spot th' bloody pirate since that fight with th' artificial humans." She was a little embarrassed at not having been able to keep tabs on him, but this is what it came to, so she acted accordingly: asking the one in charge.

"Maybe you're right, even if some people don't get paid that doesn't mean we'll get the money, Weyland might just keep it for himself," Nadya replied to John with a sigh.

"Well if she's not willing to make friends, you could always wait for her to try and be more friendly. She's gotta eat sometime after all," Nadya suggested.

Raquel

"What? Gytha, it's just a cat, and there's at least thirty crew members on this ship who could have looked for her for you. Things went really bad out there and most of the mercenaries died because we couldn't fight through the demons in time." And Damian? Gytha hadn't been keeping track of much of anything but that cat it seemed. With a deep sigh, Raquel muttered "Damian died in that battle in Ursentius." Was she looking for Maw during that mess too or something? Ugh. "And to answer your first question, this is ... um what was your name, Miss?

Siv and Her Captors

As if on cue, Siv's stomach let out a noticeable growl. Siv's expression didn't change though. Pure contempt. Fira bent forward a bit to come down to the shorter girl's level and asked. <"When was the last time you ate something?">

<"... a little while before I was captured."> she muttered.

Fira's widened a bit more in surprise. "Wasn't she captured around a week and a half ago?"

"What'd she say?" Giovanni asked, not sure what Siv's reply was.

"She said she hasn't eaten since she was captured." Fira answered with a hand on her chin.

"Oh wow. No wonder she's so hostile."

Krystal

Krystal bowed to the girl who had just joined the conversation. "My name is Krystalain, my apologies. most people call me Krystal for short." When she straightened she turned to Raquel. "Something to do to help..? Hmm, well, I don't know. Do you have any uses for a Cryomancer?" She inquired, extending her umbrella of ice to Gytha as well, normally keeping this much moisture in one condensed spot would of been rather tedious, but the rain really helped alliviate most of that.

Gytha sighed. Yet again, people were saying that Maw was just a cat... "It's too bad that people died, but realistically, would I have made that much of a difference? I'm one mariner. Usually, that's all it takes, but with fights like this... Not like I'd make much of a difference. Maw, though... She relies on me. Lot like a kid, if ye think about it. She can't treat herself. I thought maybe she'd let ye treat'er, Raquel, but ye said ye couldn't, so I had to. If her eye socket gets infected, she'll die a very slow, painful death. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. So, I tried t' find'er so I could bring'er along. By th' time I found'er and treated 'er eye, ye were back. I didn't know how long we'd be gone and not a day can go by without treatment. Maw's a cat, aye. Yer a human. Krystal o'er here's one o' the bird-people. Doesn't make Maw worth any less. She's just more helpless in some situations, which means we have t' step up and help. If it was yer eye socket I had t' treat, I'd do the same fer ye as I did fer Maw. There're pleanty o' others who can fight. Not everyone can or would take care o' Maw," Gytha explained, her voice quite disarming and extremely calm throughout the explanation.

She was really actually quite disappointed that Raquel was being so heartless. Having an animal around wasn't about being entertained, after all. It was about doing what you could to take care of the animal and mutual respect. "If ye get a pet just so it can do tricks for ye, yer really missin' th' point. Maw's helpful, aye, but when it comes down to it, Maw and I are invaluable partners t' each other. She's here fer me, so I have t' me there fer her, too. That's one reason I became a mariner, actually," Gytha began, but then stopped. That was enough and she didn't feel like expounding upon her past. "Well, Damain's dead, is'e? Almost too bad. Well, he spent his life as he wanted. I only hope his body found its way to th' sea, where it belongs. Nice meetin' ye, Krystal," she tried to wrap up her chatter on a cheerful note, but she stuck around to hear if Raquel or Lrystal had anything else to say.

Upon getting onto the deck, Ranyin took note of the gloomy atmosphere above. He was not too sure about what transpired throughout the fight but his instincts told him that the battle was a success, but unpleasant things happened that were not worth asking about. At least for now.

Heh, that's what you get fighting those Fallen, mused Ranyin who was all too grateful to escape that battle with only a few bruises.

Drawing his tome out, Ranyin performed the neccessary precedures and a swarm of butterflies of multiple shades of green hovered above him. They were made entirely out of wind. Confidently, he strode out into the rain, knowing this simple spell would hold as he had used it on many occasions. Not a single drop of rain touched the mage as the butterflies of air acted as a protective barrier that repelled any rain drops.

Not having much time to contemplate on where he should stand as he heard Gytha coming up the stairs, Ranyin quickly ducked towards a more secluded corner of the ship. The Onigytha would definately pick a crowd to feast upon, deduced the delusional Kigenese mage as he observed that Raquel was conversing with two people who were not part of the party.

His swift steps did him no favour as he collided with the taller form of Synthia...

What was with Ranyin? “Uh, sure,” Valter said, and let the mage pass him. Gytha soon left as well, and the horseman decided to find some food for himself, since he ended up in the galley anyway.

-----

Drenched, depressed, and starting to once again feel the effects of being on a boat, Synthia was in a foul mood. However, it was because she was busy wallowing in self-pity instead of actually doing something about her problems; for instance, simply getting out of the rain. She stood crumpled over the railing on the far side of the ship alternating between feeling sorry for herself, and cursing the ship for moving around so much.

At least she was, before Ranyin bumped into her. After that she was busy trying not to slip on the deck now slick from rain. The mud clumped to the bottom of her boots didn’t help. She failed, landing in a sopping mess on the deck, and had to use the railing to help herself up again. “And what the hell are you running from?” she asked, as she managed to get to her feet again.

The rain felt extremely good to Aneda and Hannah whereas others seemed to have some crazy aversion to it. Watching Ranyin accidentally knock over Synthia, Aneda sighed. "Tsk tsk tsk..." Walking over to Ranyin, she shook her head. "Lying to sweet innocent pegasus riders and then pushing over girls in your way?" Smirking, she got closer while ignoring Synthia. Truth be told, she didn't care until someone made a stink about something, but Synthia didn't look like she was gonna. "Care to explain yourself, Onion?"

Disagreement

"Don't ..." Raquel paused to make sure she kept to as calm a tone as she could manage. "--don't lecture me about animals, Gytha. I've got to take care of Chip and two horses by myself and just so you know, Riley isn't a gelding so he's a much bigger hassle than any of these other horses cantering around with us. He only seems to not screw around when he's tacked up to the wagon. I understand that Maw's important to you, but the truth of the matter was that we needed everyone out there that we could get, and were lucky that those fallen didn't kill us. If they picked us over the mercenaries, a lot of us wouldn't even be here right now, probably myself included." She took half a second to glance at Krsytal and then continued. "If taking care of Maw's eye is going to supercede a catastrophe like this, then teach someone else how to do it now that there's time. I don't want to have to tell everyone 'Hey, sorry Gytha couldn't make it this time even though we could really use her help, the cat's gone missing again!'." She glanced at Krystal again ... "I don't know about cryonics but maybe this is the sort of thing you can handle?" she asked speaking of animal care.

What's wrong with me lately? Why do I keep knocking into people, wondered Ranyin. "Sorry about knocking into you Synthia, I was just trying to err...get away from someone," said Ranyin after he caught his balance.

Then he noticed that Synthia was all wet and proceeded to say, "What are you doing out here in the rain? If you liked the scenery so much you should have asked me if I knew any spell to shield you from the rain. Wind magic has so many applications, and repelling rain drops being one of the most favoured utility of them. I can teach you right now if you want."

As he was about to draw Stormcalmer from his bag, Ranyin heard someone approach him. He spotted the pegasus rider he met with Bert astride Riz. Then he saw her hair again. A sudden surge of rage and frustration flow explode within him from his pent up repressed artistic side, that he was unable to nurture in the mage academy. He was ready to instead unleash a blast of wind at the offending image of Aneda until he heard what he presumed was her mentioning his name as 'Onion'.

That last act caused his rage to magnify as his heartbeat increased, changing his skin colour from a light tan to a 'vibrant' shade of red. What followed next was all white and the last Ranyin recalled before collapsing for the second time on the same day, was the sensation of him throwing up his previous meal directly into Aneda's face and more importantly, hair...

Edited by Rothkitty

Robin picked up the raven, her hands moving under it to carefully cup the birds feet and give support, as if she was holding a nestling. Not having held a live adult bird in her past, a nestling was all she knew how to handle anyways though. Softly she cooed and stroked the bird before, as quickly and carefully as she could, she fished out a small piece of shiny quartz from her quiver.

"<Here you go little guy.>" she said happily as she offered the stone in trade for the letter. Not actually waiting for the bird to accept, she carefully pried the letter loose, then offered it to Shadrak. "<My common is weak and I don't know Kieganiese, so unless your dark master wrote to you in my tongue, I can't read it. Probably is hexed anyways or something like that. Who's a cute little birdy? Who's a cute little birdy? You are! You are! Stinky foul, but cute little raven birdy.>"

"I was goin' t' teach ye, Raquel, but ye didn't want me lessons," Gytha mentioned, "If I'd've thought this would've happened, a'course I'd've tried t' avoid it. Don't think I'm irresponsible. Never said ye weren't doin well enough with yer own pets. Just mentioned how some people see animals as sources of entertainment or tools before they see them as individual creatures. Ye seemed t' be of that mind when ye called'er 'just a cat.' And in case it hasn't been clear up to this point, I don't just abandon me friends. That includes Maw. So I don't appreciate people treatin 'er needs as unimportant. When we reach shore, I'll look fer Maw again. When we're all travellin' on land, Maw doesn't have as wide or complex a space she feels comfortable with as she does here so it'll be easier then." From there, she looked over to Krystal, curious as to how she'd answer Raquel. "So, are ye good with cats, bird-lady?" she curiously asked, encouraging her to answer the pink-haired merchant's question.

Shadrak

Shadrak took the note and started reading it. "<Don't patronize the bird too much, he doesn't know you. He probably doesn't like you.>" He said to Robin. "{Try to be nice Naoki, she's kinda ignorant, don't let it bother you.}" He said tot he bird in Kigenese... this rapid swapping of languages was rather racking, he liked it though, presented a type of mental challenge that he hasn't had for awhile.

Krystal

Krystal thought for a moment. "Cryo means Ice, I can manipulate cold... as for animals..." She looked around a bit. "I guess I can help with that... not to mention my services as a possable mind probe if it's needed, I heard that our little ability to look into people's minds is in rather high demand." She added on, actively trying to read Raquel's emotions now... she seemed upset, but that's pretty easy, and there's multiple kinds of upset...

Nadya

"Well all right then. Dangle a haunch or meat or something in front of her face until she spills the beans on whatever you want your info on. If she's not ready to talk, that just means she's not hungry enough yet," Nadya said.

Veronika

Veronika found an empty space below decks and began practicing her swordplay.

What will we do after this I wonder? Weyland said that he knew about the organization...are strong enough to take them on yet? Am I strong enough? she wondered to herself, slashing the air.

The mage was fidgetting about, and then he went for his tome, something Aneda took as hostile. "Hey, what did I do t-" And then he vomitted suddenly, splattering Aneda straight in the face, hair, and a small bit got in her mouth as she unluckily had it open. Her face was the worst now as she began to gag, rubbing her tongue out quickly and quite gruffly. "Awgh, wa da huck, aan?!" She started spitting out any and all fluids in her mouth furiously, not even caring that the vomit was dripping down her face at this point. She was too confused as to why he vomited so damn fiercely. WHY DOES HE HAVE PROJECTILE VOMIT?! And now, she had the taste of meat in her mouth.

Being Mean To The Birdy

"I thought we might have to try that ... and there's no point in being nice to her." Fira replied.

"And here I thought starving people would be a last resort." Amon mumbled.

"Nah, me stabbin' her again is a last resort." Gabbie said trying not to crack up.

Sadists ... all of them. I need to get out of here. Amon thought half seriously.

"We are going to be having dinner soon ... once our stove gets ready." Gio said in a peculiar way getting Fira's attention.

"... that ... would be me. Yes, captain, off I go." she said, turning to leave. He smirked. By this point, Siv was looking at each of them with a shocked, fearful, and hungry look. Was there any kind of punishment she wouldn't endure throughout this?

Being Weird To The Birdy

Naoki did as asked and didn't struggle or peck at the archer. Instead he gave the stone she offered a few glances. There was nothing magical about it, so he quickly lost interest.

Being Demanding To The Birdy

I know what cryo means ... Raquel mentally shot back. "Okay then, Gytha, you teach Krystal how to care for Maw when you're not around. I'll teach her how to help out with the horses and Chip. She can stay with us and that's enough of a job for now, I think. That alright with you, Krystal?" Despite her friendly tone, Raquel wasn't really asking at this point. She planned to come back at any contrary suggestions immediately.

Looking over at Raquel and the other two, Rico quietly said "So Raquel's like ... in charge of this group now? That's ... I dunno ..."

Swords

Atsuko had picked a quiet place to get away. She wanted to kill that little fallen for costing all of her brother's lives but couldn't if those sacrifices were going to count for something. Just as she was about to keel over on the floor and try to sleep it off, she heard the swings of sword not too far away. Picking her head up, she glanced over but didn't have anything close to a good view with all the things strewn about. She got up and went over to investigate and found the red headed woman going at it. For a few moments she just watched to try and pick up on her style. When she couldn't identify it, she concluded that it had to be a northern style or something.

"How long have you been training with a sword?" she finally asked. Some things she just wasn't going to learn by observing.