Google+

Raven

Who wants an invite?

I will add you to a special Serenes Forest circle I made, just for you lot.

On the topic of G+, what are your thoughts on it?

It's still in Beta, but I've already had a laugh on it with my friends back home in Wales via its Hangouts feature. I'm liking it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got invited into the beta, it's really great just as everyones says.... but I'm not sure. All my friends refuse to use it. I don't understand why, trying something doesn't hurt anybody...but whatever.

I got invited into the beta, it's really great just as everyones says.... but I'm not sure. All my friends refuse to use it. I don't understand why, trying something doesn't hurt anybody...but whatever.

I dunno. I really should move on to the "next level" of social networking!

• 1 month later...

So far I've been unimpressed by Google+. Granted I haven't tried a hangout, which is what everyone's been raving about, but Google+'s chat is significantly more tedious and less intuitive than facebook's. And given that chat is 90% of the reason I ever even get on facebook, that's a major bummer for me. I must admit, circles are a fantastic idea, though.

How do the real names bit work? I used a fake name when setting up my google account and it seemed to liken the fake name well-enough when I went on the plus thingy :/

Someone flung out invites so I decided to set one up real quick. Then it was awfully empty. Then I never came back.

It seems that at the moment, if your name doesn't look enough like a legal name to Google, or they get some other sort of clue that it isn't your legal name (doesn't appear to correlate with your gender, shared with a famous person, some non-European names), they suspend your account. For now, if you pick a pseudonym that still sounds like a name by their standards, you're probably okay, but there are a whole bunch of people who are legitimately harmed by this.

From what my feed's been telling me, there is also talk of them intending to start requiring other verification. Which is creepy as hell, and if they do that I'm out of there forever.

I really hope they start to listen to their users on this, though. They listened to their users when it was pointed out that forcing gender to be a publicly viewable field was problematic, it would be really nice if that weren't a fluke.

Edited by Kiryn

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Nobody's offering extra information here; the conflict is coming from the fact that Google is demanding that users both give them and then make public (making it public is the big thing; if you had to sign up under your legal name but could use a pseudonym this would be less of a problem) more information than they'd agreed to when signing up for the service. The terms of service don't actually support a real names policy, so this is quite literally not what people signed up for.

You also seems to be implying (correct me if I'm wrong) that Google makes money off your information (by selling it I guess?) They can't, legally, except within a narrow range of advertising crap that has nothing to do with real names. There's no profit to be made for making users display their legal names, and really probably profit to be lost for driving away the people who can't use the system under their real name. (I don't think it's realistic to say that this could kill the service, because there are plenty of people who feel safe and comfortable going by their legal name, but "we have enough of a userbase even if we marginalize people" isn't really a good excuse for a company with "don't be evil" among its stated values.)

Because everyone knows me by my middle name rather than my first name, and possibly because of gender, I could probably get banned from the service if they start requiring verified legal names. If it gets to that point, I'll probably be long gone, though.

Edit: Here's the actual policy that people signed up for:

13. Display Name

To help fight spam and prevent fake profiles, use the name your friends, family or co-workers usually call you. For example, if your full legal name is Charles Jones Jr. but you normally use Chuck Jones or Junior Jones, either of those would be acceptable.

which is not what they're talking about enforcing.

Edited by Kiryn